Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

my brand old 96 e36 usdm 328ic has a shattered parking brake on the right. it's stuck in place right now

what do I need to rebuild that? might as well do both because it's due for a full suspension rebuild anyway. looking for a good shock/strut/mount kit and whatever else goes with it. I'm totally new to bimmers and looking forward to doing as much of the 100k service as possible (minus the radiator and clutch fan because they are new)

tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sooooooooooooooo

who wants to sell me their 2-3 year old pristine manual 328 or 335, with technology package, black grey or white, preferably with wood trim interior?

the searchstruggle is real

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

sooooooooooooooo

who wants to sell me their 2-3 year old pristine manual 328 or 335, with technology package, black grey or white, preferably with wood trim interior?

Just have to keep searching BMW's site every day. I was sort of looking at one in VA, but the dealer come off rather strong as a typical used car dealer, and while I was waffling on dealing with them, a loaded 2015 M Sport 335 with stick showed up 10 minutes from my house. I was looking at it before they finished with it in the detail shop, and left with it that night.

Definitely harder if you have to replace an actual dead car though. On my old one it was "just" the AC that poo poo itself. When it was 95* for a week.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

geeves posted:

Have a quick question about the 1997 M3 stereo (which is loving garbage). How do I know if it has 6 speakers or 10 speakers? I don't see anything in the manual with regards to the stereo that is actually helpful.

Do the tweeter and mid in the door count as 1 speaker? If so that's 2 in the doors, 2 in the kick panels and 2 in the rear deck, correct?

If it is 10 - where are the other 4 hiding? I can find wiring diagrams, but not speaker location diagrams online.

At least the previous owner had the presence of mind to replace the head unit - but with some lovely Pioneer. Nothing against Pioneer, it's the model that sucks.

But yeah. Bought a 97 M3. Loving it so far. Pre-inspection looked good. Needs a bit of work, but nothing major.

I don't think either of the previous owners cleaned or conditioned the leather, ever :(

And according to bimmerforums, since neither of the owners replaced the rear shock mounts, I'm allowed to kill them and claim their wives.

The easiest way to tell if you have the Harmon Kardon is to look at the grilles on the speakers themselves, they'll say harmon/kardon on them. Or check between the rear seats and see if there is a sub. Or just run your vin through one of the lookup tools.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

sooooooooooooooo

Searching for manual BMW's is massively infuriating because everyone lists their SMG or DSG car as a "manual".

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

Searching for manual BMW's is massively infuriating because everyone lists their SMG or DSG car as a "manual".

Oh. Yeah, you're going to need photos to see three pedals. Even dealers are listing DCT as manual. >:(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The problem is that even BMW lists the DCT as "manuell."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Literally every e46 M3. I got so frustrated I ended up getting an e36 instead.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Things are coming together...Sport Evo wing and DTM92 flap

I think I'm going to need a bigger splitter :getin:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Seems good to me. Nice flaps.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Things are coming together...Sport Evo wing and DTM92 flap

I think I'm going to need a bigger splitter :getin:

Fuckin' rad

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

The easiest way to tell if you have the Harmon Kardon is to look at the grilles on the speakers themselves, they'll say harmon/kardon on them. Or check between the rear seats and see if there is a sub. Or just run your vin through one of the lookup tools.

Thanks! Just the standard HiFi system. These may be some of the least accessible speakers I've dealt with.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

is there a sub hidden somewhere in the e36? my head is blown and ive never gotten a chance to listen to it

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fknlo posted:

my gal has gotten so tired of me coming home with stories of my e36 breaking down mid-day that she has started to search with me. the digital shifters thing was her first 'wtf' complaint - literally 50% of the cars listed as manuals are blatantly not.

we went in to a dealership and told some dude in great detail exactly what we were looking for, and his friendly :) went very quickly to a :(

it's only been 6 months of searching though so far, I'm confident I'll find something eventually :unsmith:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

mindphlux posted:

sooooooooooooooo

Wow you chose all three of the worst car colors, nice work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
White is a great color

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My vote is red

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

My vote is red

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Wow you chose all three of the worst car colors, nice work.

Is this some sort of AI counting coup thing where instead of feats of martial prowess it's lovely opinions?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does BMW even sell cars that aren't black, grey or white anymore?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
alpine white is the best car color ever

i'm sorry for your very bad opinions

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Powershift posted:

They're all fuckin estoril blue in England now since they made it a non individual colour! I'm sick of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Does anyone even sell cars that aren't black, grey or white anymore?

Fixed for accuracy.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

My vote is red

I went from red to black, and I definitely miss red.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I have a one year old BMW with a real manual transmission I will sell you. It's gray, too.

E: and a 3 series.

E2: and has tech and wood trim.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 23, 2016

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Powershift posted:

Very depressing but I've looked at production stats for the E90 M3 in USA/Canada and for that run of car over 85% are a variant of black, silver, or white. For blue and red there were about 550 delivered. I expect when I'm ready early next year for my search it is going to take a long time. :(

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Black, white, and silver are the free colours and there's too many poors buying new cars so nobody springs for the non boring colours.

The sad thing is paint technology is improving so we can now have vibrant colours that aren't terrible for the environment but nobody is buying the fun colours.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Every car I've had for the last 15 years has been blue or red. Red for the last 11. It was time to go boring and it looks great with the silverstone interior.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Black, white, and silver are the free colours and there's too many poors buying new cars so nobody springs for the non boring colours.

The sad thing is paint technology is improving so we can now have vibrant colours that aren't terrible for the environment but nobody is buying the fun colours.

This is at least because no one sells good colors. I see plenty of bright green/yellow/blue Fiestas and Mazda 2s on the road, but everything that sells for above $14k needs to be a Serious Car and Serious Cars only come in Boring Black, Boring Silver/Grey/Tan, Boring White, or Marginally Less Boring Dark Red or Dark Blue.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bacon Hat posted:

is there a sub hidden somewhere in the e36? my head is blown and ive never gotten a chance to listen to it

If you have the harmon/kardon sound system, yes, hidden behind/between the rear seats. Very rare to see a non-M optioned with it in my experience though.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

how much do manual e36 non-m convertibles even go for in great condition? i cant tell if i should fully restore it or murder it out to a questionable degree

i didnt pay a lot for it and its got less than 150k on the clock, 1996 328i

and no sub

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 24, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PenisMonkey posted:

I have a one year old BMW with a real manual transmission I will sell you. It's gray, too.

E: and a 3 series.

E2: and has tech and wood trim.

I'm not sure if it's your forums name or not, but I feel like I'm about to be molested...

go onnnn...................

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
the type of person who buys a red car, is also (based on my search experience) the type of person who thinks it is not completely and utterly disgustingly gaudy to have a black leather interior with bright red go-fast leather stitching/piping and M-badge red techno-trim going all over the place instead of perfectly respectable wood.

in fact, thinking back on it, I haven't seen a single red car in my search that had a decent interior. I don't dislike the exterior color myself, but man the people who bought red manual BMW 3 series cars in Atlanta 2-3 years ago had serious fun turning them into douchemobiles...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
BUCKLE UP BOYS, AND OIL YA MANTITS DOWN.... ITS ABOUT TO GET FAST..... AND FURIOUS.........

'MLADY *TIPSHAT* :clint:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Nice ride.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

mindphlux posted:

I'm not sure if it's your forums name or not, but I feel like I'm about to be molested...

go onnnn...................

Everything I said was true.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
goddamnit, such tauntage. I'll ring you when I'm ready to pay 50k for a car. =(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mindphlux posted:

BUCKLE UP BOYS, AND OIL YA MANTITS DOWN.... ITS ABOUT TO GET FAST..... AND FURIOUS.........

'MLADY *TIPSHAT* :clint:

I also had red/red 😎

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

the type of person who buys a red car, is also (based on my search experience) the type of person who thinks it is not completely and utterly disgustingly gaudy to have a black leather interior with bright red go-fast leather stitching/piping and M-badge red techno-trim going all over the place instead of perfectly respectable wood.

in fact, thinking back on it, I haven't seen a single red car in my search that had a decent interior. I don't dislike the exterior color myself, but man the people who bought red manual BMW 3 series cars in Atlanta 2-3 years ago had serious fun turning them into douchemobiles...

If you want a wood interior go buy a Lexus or a Mercedes, BMWs wood trim has always looked out of place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm confused, are we mocking people with red cars or people with grey cars?

Aside from those wheels not being black from the factory and someone putting red plastic in place of the bumper reflectors, that red E92 looks pretty much stock to me. You can't get a 100% red interior if that's what you're trying to do. And if you want a wood interior, check out Buick.