Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I actually do. I thought most people did.

I looked it up and it seems most westerners remember things in first-person and most easterners remember in third person.

Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Selachian posted:

Don't even get me started on what I did with my Star Wars figures.

Played with them and enjoyed a childhood of gleeful imagination and storytelling? :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

I looked it up and it seems most westerners remember things in first-person and most easterners remember in third person.

Weird.

It is quite simple - the JLA obviously dog-piled him in front of a giant mirror. Where's my No-Prize?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is quite simple - the JLA obviously dog-piled him in front of a giant mirror. Where's my No-Prize?

That's a Marvel trademark you ignorant swine! :argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerusalem posted:

Played with them and enjoyed a childhood of gleeful imagination and storytelling? :shobon:

Look where that got them? Posting on Something Awful, is where.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is quite simple - the JLA obviously dog-piled him in front of a giant mirror. Where's my No-PrizeBaldie?
Fixed, you drat philistine. :D

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of people have been pushing back against "Superheroes BUT IN THE REAL WORLD" lately but that sort of weird specific poo poo is why I'd love to see more good stories exploring the concepts. Like, how does a society deal with knowing something like Galactus exists? How do you handle confirming the multiverse on a theological level?

Just have someone other than Ennis or Millar write it and you can get some amazing stories out of that.

In addition to Astro City, there was "Marvels," also by Kurt Busiek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

Superman: Secret Identity, also by Busiek.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Superheroes BUT IN THE REAL WORLD"

Hey theres always RUINS

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

SynthOrange posted:

"Superheroes BUT IN THE REAL WORLD"

Hey theres always RUINS

That's almost my favorite bit from Ruins, but pretty much all of it competes for my favorite bit.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Identity Crisis happening at the same time BSS was getting going. I remember the GBS mega thread, and I remember a lot of avatars getting bought speculating about the identity of the perp and people bitching about "stupid comic book avatars". One of the first mods was Bolt Vanderhuge I think?

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks to this thread I just re read Identity Crisis for the first time since its release. The "conversation with dead person" thing hit me harder than I thought it would, because my mom died in March and I absolutely had a conversation with her just before she was cremated. And a couple times since then.

Goddamn, the rest of that comic is garbage, though.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Scaramouche posted:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Identity Crisis happening at the same time BSS was getting going. I remember the GBS mega thread, and I remember a lot of avatars getting bought speculating about the identity of the perp and people bitching about "stupid comic book avatars". One of the first mods was Bolt Vanderhuge I think?

It was around the same time, but like others said, I'm pretty sure bss came around from the old comic book megathread and other comic threads getting to be too much for gbs, and shortly after that identity crisis started. Last time this all came up i dug up the old identity crisis thread and poked through it, someone had put up a jean loring is the murderer avatar, but noone bought it because haha that'd be too stupid. Then in like the 4th issue it became clear it was her and everyone was just going "what?"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Every time I see this I laugh.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

chaos rhames posted:

Every time I see this I laugh.

What's weird is John Blake is the name of Joseph Gordon Levitt's character in DKR.

Bongo Bill posted:

And to bring it full circle, The Dark Age maxi-series from Astro City was originally conceptualized as Marvels part 2. At the end of it, Busiek included his several page pitch, with all the Marvel material redacted. Some of the characters are definitely easy to see what they were originally before being modified for the Astro City world.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

What's weird is John Blake is the name of Joseph Gordon Levitt's character in DKR.

His name was Robin Blake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

His name was Robin Blake.

We don't find out that his first name is Robin until the last 5 minutes of the film. And even that was a last minute change as he was originally going to play Azrael.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Name's still Robin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Name's still Robin.

So? They didn't call him that a single time in the film.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is like some "Ship of Theseus"-style paradox

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You're both right you numbnuts, his name is Robin (R.) John Blake in the film.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of people have been pushing back against "Superheroes BUT IN THE REAL WORLD" lately but that sort of weird specific poo poo is why I'd love to see more good stories exploring the concepts. Like, how does a society deal with knowing something like Galactus exists? How do you handle confirming the multiverse on a theological level?

Just have someone other than Ennis or Millar write it and you can get some amazing stories out of that.

You know drat well it's because "what if but real" stories are almost always empty vessels for exploiting the novelty of "innocent" figures brushing up against cheap shock material before gluing themselves back onto a traditional narrative rail. Even in good stories you'll get like, a one-panel joke about how Thor or Galactus or whomever inspired a cult and then be ignored, even though there's an entire novel's worth of story in exploring how global religion and culture would respond to the first true confirmation of a godlike being that conforms to none of their preconceptions.

Captain Bravo posted:

Esquire

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Bravo posted:

Which they managed to not leak until the film actually dropped.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mind the walrus posted:

You know drat well it's because "what if but real" stories are almost always empty vessels for exploiting the novelty of "innocent" figures brushing up against cheap shock material before gluing themselves back onto a traditional narrative rail. Even in good stories you'll get like, a one-panel joke about how Thor or Galactus or whomever inspired a cult and then be ignored, even though there's an entire novel's worth of story in exploring how global religion and culture would respond to the first true confirmation of a godlike being that conforms to none of their preconceptions.
"There's only one god ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always thought that "The casings were forged by Hephestus!" line was pretty dumb. I know Supergirl is vulnerable to magic but the casing never really touches her. If he'd have said the bullets or even the gunpowder were made by a God, yea. Casings though, that's clearly stretching the limits of my disbelief :colbert:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always thought that "The casings were forged by Hephestus!" line was pretty dumb. I know Supergirl is vulnerable to magic but the casing never really touches her. If he'd have said the bullets or even the gunpowder were made by a God, yea. Casings though, that's clearly stretching the limits of my disbelief :colbert:

The firing pin was forged in the heart of a red sun, and the night sights are made with kryptonite.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Idk that gun looks like 100% bullshit to me

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Honestly, I know next to nothing but guns, like most people who have never held a gun in their life.

But when I read that, I was thinking "...So, wouldn't that make the casing so tough, it won't bend therefore gunpowder can't ignite, and the projectile would be stuck from the casing being unable to expand anyways?" :spergin:

For our next useless trick. Thinking about suspension springs forged by Hephaestus not being very useful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Turns out Supergirl was vulnerable to guns the whole time, but everyone just assumed she wasn't so they never tried.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Bruceski posted:

Turns out Supergirl was vulnerable to guns the whole time, but everyone just assumed she wasn't so they never tried.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm the darts that go krunk

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gold star for lateral thinking.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

JLU ccounterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsS1MPnA-vs&t=15s

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Suffering permanent spinal damage from the throw onto a car, the robber sued the justice league for brutality and ironically made vastly more than they'd attempted to steal.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Section Z posted:

Honestly, I know next to nothing but guns, like most people who have never held a gun in their life.

But when I read that, I was thinking "...So, wouldn't that make the casing so tough, it won't bend therefore gunpowder can't ignite, and the projectile would be stuck from the casing being unable to expand anyways?" :spergin:

For our next useless trick. Thinking about suspension springs forged by Hephaestus not being very useful.
Well, the casing doesn't matter for the gunpowder, since that's ignited by the primer which is separate from the casing, but yeah the crimp might be an issue; either it's too tight for the bullet to leave and something explodes, or a Hephaestus-forged casing is too hard to crimp and so the bullet's just sitting loosely in the top of the cartridge. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that anything Hephaestus makes is going to be perfect for its job, so Hephaestus-forged casings would be like ordinary brass, but somehow better. Likewise, his suspension springs would be both absurdly elastic and stiff, able to bend infinitely and snap back to its original position.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

If someone could write a version of The Wire but with superheroes, I would be a happy man. I genuinely want to know how the stats game would work when you have magic and the eighteen superheroes in New York messing with your cases. Would gangs have plans in case the Punisher strolled down their block? Important questions.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

darthbob88 posted:

Well, the casing doesn't matter for the gunpowder, since that's ignited by the primer which is separate from the casing, but yeah the crimp might be an issue; either it's too tight for the bullet to leave and something explodes, or a Hephaestus-forged casing is too hard to crimp and so the bullet's just sitting loosely in the top of the cartridge. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that anything Hephaestus makes is going to be perfect for its job, so Hephaestus-forged casings would be like ordinary brass, but somehow better. Likewise, his suspension springs would be both absurdly elastic and stiff, able to bend infinitely and snap back to its original position.

It does raise the question of how that idiot manged to get an audience with a Greek god, and used it to ask for special bullets. :doh:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 22, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

nerdman42 posted:

If someone could write a version of The Wire but with superheroes, I would be a happy man. I genuinely want to know how the stats game would work when you have magic and the eighteen superheroes in New York messing with your cases. Would gangs have plans in case the Punisher strolled down their block? Important questions.

Like Powers, maybe?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ehh little problems and weird story directions kind of soured me on Powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Avulsion posted:

[img - Supergirl KO'd by gun]

Why do they draw Supergirl to look like Bill Paxton in a wig?