Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Should have had hitler in the list 30 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Banana Man posted:

Should have had hitler in the list 30 times

"Adolf Hitler leads the Austrian civ in Sid Meiers Civilization 6..."

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It says some civs will have multiple leaders but from that list it looks like Greece is the only one that fits that model at the moment. I guess the build is still incomplete, but I think they said it was only a few days old at the start of the video (I haven't watched it, just recounting something from CF).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

There's not one set list anymore. Your capital is always the same, but the rest of your cities are random.

But yeah, I'd imagine each leader would have an appropriate capital. Particularly since we've got an Athenian leader and a Spartan leader.
That'd be a tough choice. Do I play as a queen of Sparta or as an old guy in a toga who talked a lot?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm ready for 20 Brazilian former presidents and 0 Byzantine leaders.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Negrostrike posted:

I'm ready for 20 Brazilian former presidents and 0 Byzantine leaders.

Trajan already is confirmed to be in it.

Also I am sure Suleiman is going to be in as well.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Won't more alternate leaders mean less individual civs, when development time/costs are considered? That's kind of a shame, especially given how much of the release lineup is European anyway, but I guess it leaves their options open to do either. I wonder if it'd be possible to put in a Civ that changes leaders, like a China that goes from dynasty to dynasty when specific criteria are met.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Won't more alternate leaders mean less individual civs, when development time/costs are considered? That's kind of a shame, especially given how much of the release lineup is European anyway, but I guess it leaves their options open to do either. I wonder if it'd be possible to put in a Civ that changes leaders, like a China that goes from dynasty to dynasty when specific criteria are met.

Any feature will inevitable impact other features, but I'm not sure there's any reason to think that this is a last minute addition. It's likely that they've always planned to have this mechanic and scheduled the work into their timescales like everything else.

I'd love the idea of civs that change leaders. It's such a simple mechanic that we've never seen Civ explore before. It would be great if certain government types came with the perk of being able to change leaders based on the circumstances.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its also great for mods

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Finally, a fully integrated Hitler....

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Red Bones posted:

Well the base game appears to have just as many civs as V did on release (plus 2 alternate rulers), and while creating a new leader isn't nothing, it's less demanding than creating a new civ. I'm optimistic, I guess.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A new leader means a new leader screen, but they get to reuse all the other assets of that civ and only have to implement and playtest half the number of unique features

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Red Bones posted:

The return of the "adaptive" trait.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Civilization VI: Racist Old White People edition, now with only three civs:

People of Shem
People of Ham
People of Japheth

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

disjoe posted:

Civilization VI: Racist Old White People edition, now with only three civs:

People of Shem
People of Ham
People of Japheth

And People of Mieszko

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Can't forget Gog and Magog

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
and China*

* = CCP approved

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just watched a firaxis rep chase a warrior around for 10 turns when he could have killed it in 1 or 2 on some ign video and it has filled me with trepidation.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

Just watched a firaxis rep chase a warrior around for 10 turns when he could have killed it in 1 or 2 on some ign video and it has filled me with trepidation.

Saw that one. I don't understand how people making the game are so bad at knowing how it works.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Poil posted:

That'd be a tough choice. Do I play as a queen of Sparta or as an old guy in a toga who talked a lot?

Do you know who Pericles even is?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
he invented the periscope right? not leader material imo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Human Crouton posted:

Saw that one. I don't understand how people making the game are so bad at knowing how it works.

you can say the same about this retard who posts in the thread

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
haha

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

today we are all owned

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
owned by a lum...

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

...berjack

Edit for semi-content, wasn't there supposed to be a new civ announcement today?

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 23, 2016

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-ql-r_QEU

Stolen from reddit because I am lazy:

Civilization UA: Treasure Fleet - trade routes between continents receive extra yields and can combine ships into fleets earlier in the game than other civs.

Leader UA: El Escorial - units receive combat bonus against civs following other religions and inquisitors can remove heresy an additional time.

UU - Conquistador: receives bonus when stacked with a missionary, inquisitor, or apostle; automatically converts a captured city to Spain's religion if adjacent to it.

UI - Mission: provides faith; gives bonus faith when built on different continent to capital, and gives science when built adjacent to a campus improvement.

hexal fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 23, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Man, I'm really loving how animated the leaders are this time around. They show so much more personality than in in V.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hexal posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-ql-r_QEU

Stolen from reddit because I am lazy:

Civilization UA: Treasure Fleet - trade routes between continents receive extra yields and can combine ships into fleets earlier in the game than other civs.

Leader UA: El Escorial - units receive combat bonus against civs following other religions and inquisitors can remove heresy an additional time.

UU - Conquistador: receives bonus when stacked with a missionary, inquisitor, or apostle; automatically converts a captured city to Spain's religion if adjacent to it.

UI - Mission: provides faith; gives bonus faith when built on different continent to capital, and gives science when built adjacent to a campus improvement.

Is it just me or are bonuses like these pretty well-balanced and thought-through, and then we have the Scythians where it's more like "Gain a giant game-winning army fairly early on".

Do they have a game designer working on some civs, and a five-year-old boy designing others in crayon?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I love Spain. These abilities really show off what dicks they are.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 23, 2016

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
At least the abilities are appropriately themed for Spain.

Now we're missing fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and a fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 23, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is this the first time we've seen 2 and 3UPT in action? In this case the formation of a fleet (though I had to raise an eyebrow when the fleet continued to consist of only one ship)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is this the first time we've seen 2 and 3UPT in action? In this case the formation of a fleet (though I had to raise an eyebrow when the fleet continued to consist of only one ship)

Yeah I was puzzled about that too. Maybe they just haven't finalised the unit display for a fleet yet?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Really like how Philip II looks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The designs have been pretty solid in all the latter videos. I hope they give a bit of polish to Qin Shi Huang and Pedro, though

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Gort posted:

Is it just me or are bonuses like these pretty well-balanced and thought-through, and then we have the Scythians where it's more like "Gain a giant game-winning army fairly early on".

Do they have a game designer working on some civs, and a five-year-old boy designing others in crayon?

The numbers and details mean more to balance than just feel. The mechanics matter, and having a stable UA that lasts the entire game can be perfectly balanced by a spike UA that affects 1-2 eras. If the Scythians don't use their UA to high efficiency to win the early to mid game hard enough, they will eventually fall behind Spain's trade bonuses. That's actual game balance over the span of the whole game. Having different power curves is not "five-year-old with crayon", it's looking at the game as a whole.

I know this will probably get quoted when light cavalry somehow include tanks, making the Scythians completely ridiculous, but the basics are sound.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Spain looks pretty strong for the Religious Victory. Since you don't have to keep cities after a war, you can lug Conquistadors around to wars solely to flash convert.

Presuming the leader wall to remain accurate to even DLC, I have to wonder what Isabella will feature for her trait if not El Escorial's bonuses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hogama posted:

Spain looks pretty strong for the Religious Victory. Since you don't have to keep cities after a war, you can lug Conquistadors around to wars solely to flash convert.

Presuming the leader wall to remain accurate to even DLC, I have to wonder what Isabella will feature for her trait if not El Escorial's bonuses.

I could see Isabella being the more peaceful religious leader option - maybe something like instantly converting city-states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

The designs have been pretty solid in all the latter videos. I hope they give a bit of polish to Qin Shi Huang and Pedro, though

Actually the polish leader is Jadwiga.