Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ProfessorCirno posted:

So far it feels like ordinary melee is for chumps. There's a ton of absurd things to do with bows, especially since it seems possible to trip over stupidly powerful Bound Bow tomes very early on. And on that note, likewise, bound weapons overwhelmingly seem better then just about any of the non-bound melee options I've found. Summons seem mostly ok, but there are a few great combat spells.

Anyone had problems with armor? It doesn't seem to actually do a whole lot.

Honestly, I'm starting to think sneak mage is the unofficial "correct" choice.

Bound bows are busted because they cut the base damage on arrows by half, but the arrows bound bows use still do their vanilla damage, which is twice what the best regular arrows in the game do. I can't imagine it's intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Explains why the bow seems to be doing above average damage and why bound bow 3 wasn't that big a leap over 2, it's coming from the arrows.

Hopefully they roll out a patch for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alright, I haven't beaten the game yet but I have to call out this story crap going on right now

So, you hear about this evil atheist Nehrim empire attacking your fake-religion controlled Enderal, and immediately you think "Hmm maybe there's some depth to this, maybe this is all exaggerated and the story is more subtle than that". But then they arrive and they're essentially strawmen of atheists from Creationist screeds. Which would be fine, except for things like them mentioning evolution outright and social darwinism in so many words. Which are not exactly concepts that would exist in a world like this, I imagine. Like this nation barely knows how cannons work and they are a plaguetorn mess but evolution, yeah, that's something we know a lot about. When Nehrim spoke about destiny and gods and what is good and making a choice with that, you bought it because those are concepts that have been around for ages and ages and you'd imagine even a fantasy land with fake gods would have philosophers. And then it is said the evil Not-Reapers or Not-Demons are controlling the guy saying all this.

But beyond that, you have to wait for outright 10 minutes for this in-game cutscene to play out (no skipping as far as I could tell) where the atheist leader rants at your fake religion's leader and your guy mostly just calls the other guy a loon. And then that's followed by some walking through a meadow and into a house and taking part in ANOTHER in-game cutscene talking with your dead family. There are way, WAY too many instances of poo poo like this. The cutscenes are fine in the sense that they're well set up and actually plays a bit with your camera, something Skyrim almost never did because it meant they might break the fragile engine running it.

There's a reason Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls games just take control away from you for at most a few minutes tops in the entire game, intro scene included.

Of course, this might all be moot. The story seems to hint that you're either dreaming or this Mass Effect ripoff plot is actually all something else, and you might just be dead or dying, or some sort of demon jumping between bodies. But it doesn't matter because I've been playing for ages to get to the appropriate level to do these main quests and the side stuff's plot quality is a lot better in many respects. There's still a mystery left that they hint at with the subtlety of a brick to the face in the main quest, but it is just so frustrating to take part in.

Edit: What is this poo poo: http://imgur.com/a/95lCX

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 22, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Those of you using mods with an MCM, how are you getting the MCMs to appear? They never have for me.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

evilmiera posted:

Edit: What is this poo poo:

It's a painting of Godzilla attacking a sailing ship and I'd be proud to have it hanging in my home.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's a painting of Godzilla attacking a sailing ship and I'd be proud to have it hanging in my home.

Not five minutes later I run into a "Luke in the ice cave" reference. I couldn't even take his lightsaber :(

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Is there a handicraft requirement to improving certain items? Like I can improve regular steel armor but not fine steel armor.

Edit: I should probably add that stuff like fine steel armor doesn't even appear in the workbench menu and it's also not enchanted.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 22, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

evilmiera posted:

Edit: By the by, where can I sell off staves? I'm carting around like 5 of them right now and there is no merchant in Ark I can find that buys them.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I also had trouble with finding someone to offload my staves, the magic shop in the noble quarter will buy them.

You can add the Merchant perk from the base game with player.addperk 58f7a so you can sell everything to everyone. So far it hasn't broken anything for me.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Cynic Jester posted:

Bound bows are busted because they cut the base damage on arrows by half, but the arrows bound bows use still do their vanilla damage, which is twice what the best regular arrows in the game do. I can't imagine it's intended.

Well, that answers that question!

Outside of sneakmage though, I'm finding magic is just super strong. And, well. Never really played a mage build in Skyrim...

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

ProfessorCirno posted:

Outside of sneakmage though, I'm finding magic is just super strong. And, well. Never really played a mage build in Skyrim...

Yeah, I went pure mage build in this game even though I really liked Skyrim's archery and wanted to continue sneaking around shooting people in the head, and so far it has fared far, far better than my Skyrim mage had. Simultaneously casting Shield + your most powerful summon at the first sign of trouble and then supporting your tank/summon with elemental spells has so far destroyed everything in the game fairly easily. Additionally, grabbing the perk in the light tree that lets you decrease your arcane fever allows you to use potions almost as much as you want (at least those you haven't made apparently due to a bug) helps keep bad things from happening.

I haven't hit late game yet, but someone else in the thread replied and said that they've managed to finish with a pure mage build, so it's apparently more than possible.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

kuroiXiru posted:

You can add the Merchant perk from the base game with player.addperk 58f7a so you can sell everything to everyone. So far it hasn't broken anything for me.

Aww poo poo thank you. That is the most tedious mechanic

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kuroiXiru posted:

Oh poo poo thanks, I haven't been to town in a while so my secure chest is full of random crap to sell.

Which reminds me, I wonder how easy it would be to add a secure chest to the Meditation Zone... You already appear to be able to just drop poo poo in it and it stays, so this wouldn't change much.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zereth posted:

Oh poo poo thanks, I haven't been to town in a while so my secure chest is full of random crap to sell.

Which reminds me, I wonder how easy it would be to add a secure chest to the Meditation Zone... You already appear to be able to just drop poo poo in it and it stays, so this wouldn't change much.

Super easy. There's nothing special about the zone it's just a cell in the game. In fact I might just do that tomorrow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Super easy. There's nothing special about the zone it's just a cell in the game. In fact I might just do that tomorrow.
Well I've never actually used the mod tools so I'd be starting from zero. Since you're planning on it I'll not bother trying to learn how it works, thanks!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is this a bug? Spoiling for safety: I've just hosed up an infiltration mission to the Nehrimese camp, whereupon I'm knocked out and interrogated. There's a long convo between the leader of the invaders and my own boss, after which I'm supposed to be knocked out and placed on a raft with Jasper. Thing is, after I'm knocked out, the screen just goes black endlessly. I can hear the sounds of the forest, and I can access the Escape menu, but nothing else. Did I gently caress something up? I constantly play on timescale 1- do I have to restart?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
Anyone found the ship captain from the opening sequence yet? She's numero uno on my poo poo list of murder. I demand revenge.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fair warning to everyone so they don't waste time on this like I did, apparently only the first Lost Hearts quest is active at the moment, according to german patch notes. I found this out only after combing through the dark valley for a few hours looking for the next one...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Fair warning to everyone so they don't waste time on this like I did, apparently only the first Lost Hearts quest is active at the moment, according to german patch notes. I found this out only after combing through the dark valley for a few hours looking for the next one...

That saved me some wandering.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Does killing the Blind Miner net you anything special?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Does killing the Blind Miner net you anything special?

Yes. A really powerful 1h axe.

Has anyone gotten stuck on the Deus Ex Machina questline? NPC keeps breaking pathing and getting stuck, and the game starts yelling at me in German.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
less intrusive hud and iHud both work perfectly so far without any sort of Enderal patch. just thought I'd put that out there.

edit: got a feeling you all know already haha.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 22, 2016

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

So... I guess you don't actually need souls for enchanting in Enderal?

edit: it seems inconsistent. Some unfilled soul gems don't show up on the enchanting menu (as they shouldn't), but others list as empty but show up in enchanting and can be used to make enchanted gear.

Emy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 23, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So I've noticed with alchemy that the higher your skill doesn't necessarily translate into better potions. It seems to be ingredient based. At 100 alchemy if I mix a mud morel with a blue malphas flower I get 7 over 4 seconds healing but if I mix a mud morel with a butterfly wing I get 3 over 4.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hi friends,

If you're looking for the last piece of an armor set or a particular weapon, Reddit's put together a already robust loot guide with stats and locations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FutonForensic posted:

Hi friends,

If you're looking for the last piece of an armor set or a particular weapon, Reddit's put together a already robust loot guide with stats and locations.
Nice. Added this to the OP.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone come across any faction type quests that are more than meet a guy then go on a dungeon crawl for them and come back? I keep hearing about this group that runs the Undercity but I haven't come across any quests for them yet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Look, Enderal designers, if you hate fast travel so much, just say so and don't put it on your loving game. Don't put it in, give it limited utility that you have to pay for, and then place the fast travel points 15 minutes and 10 hostile spawns away from the place you say it goes to.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Has anyone come across any faction type quests that are more than meet a guy then go on a dungeon crawl for them and come back? I keep hearing about this group that runs the Undercity but I haven't come across any quests for them yet.

I've finally found this particular post on their forums again, so I'm just gonna quote it here:

http://forum.sureai.net/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=8649 posted:

Greetings!

After the launch went (relatively) well we would like to take some time to talk about all the things that did not (partly: yet) made it into the game, despite all the hard work and willpower.

Guild questline - The Golden Sickle: The Golden Sickle is a long questline in Ark that deals with the merchants guild "Golden Sickle" and the kilean Sugar Island Union. The quest is very non-linear and has 5 endings in total. Sadly we didn't manage to finish testing all of it by the time of the release. A future patch will however include it.

More bards: Right now there is only one type of voice for the female bards - as of now the male and second female one are silent. Actually those are finished but we will have to add the files uncompressed so the patch will be about 200MB, also a (very, very beautiful) Song is not finished yet. We will add all of this once the traffic on our servers goes down a bit. - Already implemented by now, except for the english versions of the songs maybe?

Cutscene-system: Those who followed the development of Enderal for some time now will know what this is about. Originally it was planned to stage certain key Story-Events in a cineastic way. The system was indeed functional but the testing of certain camera angles was really hard and would have required us to reach too deep into the engine. In the end the costs and benefits wouldn't justify the effort besides we probably would have created alot of unforseen problems.

Realtime-Flying system: An especially frustrating case for us. one of our coders spend several months on this and even implemented it fully functional into the game. In the end it failed because the Creation Engine simply couldn't process all it had to load which resulted in crashes even on high end systems. No matter what we tried it just wouldn't work - and in the end we had to settle for the classic "Strider" solution. :cry:

Guild questline - Rhalāta: The most painful loss. The Rhalāta-questline dealed with the eponymus cult in the Undercity led by the so called "Father". You meet Tharaźl, a tight-lipped Aeterna who infiltrated the Rhalāta and plans to kill the Father. The four quests were absolutly amazing and also featured many ties to the "Butcher of Ark" - a lot of dark stuff similar to the sequences with Daddy with some cool twists and, thanks to the excellently designed Undercity by Julian (Sagantor), a unique atmosphere. The quest was already almost fully voiced and partly implemented but in the end a team member left to work an another (not yet released) mobile project. The loss of this questline greatly upsets us to this day. For anyone who wants to remain in sad reminiscence I recommend the awesome Rhalāta/Tharaźl-theme made by Marvin: klick - They've said that they may patch this one in "by the end of the year, maybe"

Story quest Jespar: An additional quest about a wicked part of Jespars past that starts at the beginning of act 2. (keyword Silvercloud) Same problem as with the other quests.

Story quest Calia: An additional quest after a certain point in Calias backstory, dealing with her family background.

Story quest Yuslan: A two-part quest that deepens the topic of the "Sea of Eventualities" (different realities) which also shines some light on the past of Yuslan Sha'Rim. The key point of the quest is a magical device called the "World converter" which Yuslan tries to reconstruct. It allows its user to travel through different realities. This also had to be scrapped since only two of our five quest-scripters remained at the end of development.

Questline - Chaime: A questline set in Duneville. Starting with a not so unusual seeming murder the player eventually meets the serial killer Chaime. A quest that only lived by the personality of Chaime. This questline also fell under the responsibility of the team member that left.

Sidequest - Light and Shadow: Another quest in the Powder Desert about two unusual children called Light and Shadow and a stone idol. Grim/surreal atmosphere a very cool story and two endings. One of our favorite quests but again. The time.

Druid class: This one was out relativle early but in the beginning we planned to include more than "only" the nine classes the game has now. Among others we wanted to create a druid who can change into different forms. Sadly this was also scrapped due to lack of time.

More synergies: Simple but it would have been cool. More synergy affects amongst the talents. Also scrapped due to lack of time. But it would be easy to mod!

Maybe we find, despite work (and in my case travelling) some time to patch some of the things mentioned here - it also depends on if the community misses them. Maybe we will expand this list in the future since we surely forgot this or that. :)

Thank you for all the great feedback up until now!

Best wishes and have fun playing the game!
SureAI

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Huh, well. I did the main quest and explored a bit but I think I'm going to shelve this for a year or so and try it again when all of the teething pains have (hopefully) been sorted. It's great but it needs a lot of bug fixes and I think the crafting system is just plain broken.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Anyone else had any trouble with the Marketplace house? I've exited it before with no issues, but it's recently started freezing me in place when I leave. Weirdly, it's not the usual controls-disabled freezing; I can still jump, fire bows and interact with the door back inside the house but nothing I do lets me use direction keys to move.

I tried tcl and enabling player controls in the console, also waiting 10 minutes real time to see if it was an NPC trying to dialogue at me, but nothing worked. I guess I can just avoid the place, but it was so convenient :(

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Me, hearing "No... that was my friend! I'll gut you for this!" for the first time: :smith:

Me, hearing "No... that was my friend! I'll gut you for this!" for the thousandth time: :unsmigghh:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ripper Swarm posted:

Anyone else had any trouble with the Marketplace house? I've exited it before with no issues, but it's recently started freezing me in place when I leave. Weirdly, it's not the usual controls-disabled freezing; I can still jump, fire bows and interact with the door back inside the house but nothing I do lets me use direction keys to move.

I tried tcl and enabling player controls in the console, also waiting 10 minutes real time to see if it was an NPC trying to dialogue at me, but nothing worked. I guess I can just avoid the place, but it was so convenient :(

I had the same problem but quicksaving/quickloading in place fixed it for me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So is Fire Palm extract just a fake item, or something you can actually find in the game? I ask because it is listed as the final ingredient in the potion that drove the apothecarii mad in that one quest

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Phoix posted:

I had the same problem but quicksaving/quickloading in place fixed it for me.

That did the trick, thanks!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Me, hearing "No... that was my friend! I'll gut you for this!" for the first time: :smith:

Me, hearing "No... that was my friend! I'll gut you for this!" for the thousandth time: :unsmigghh:

Same here, that was a gut punch to hear the first time while ambushing a random bandit camp, not so much the next dozen times.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just look at this crap.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Emy posted:

So... I guess you don't actually need souls for enchanting in Enderal?

edit: it seems inconsistent. Some unfilled soul gems don't show up on the enchanting menu (as they shouldn't), but others list as empty but show up in enchanting and can be used to make enchanted gear.

So I've noticed with alchemy that the higher your skill doesn't necessarily translate into better potions. It seems to be ingredient based. At 100 alchemy if I mix a mud morel with a blue malphas flower I get 7 over 4 seconds healing but if I mix a mud morel with a butterfly wing I get 3 over 4.

Crafting in general was definitely something that had been put on the backburner and never really finished. Handicraft is useless as you can't temper enchanted items, enchanting more or less never makes things better then you can find and is buggy, alchemy doesn't actually improve your ability to make potions, etc.

Just dump everything in rhetoric, get handicrafts high enough to make backpacks, and maybe some points in alchemy not to make potions, but to sell them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Crafting in general was definitely something that had been put on the backburner and never really finished. Handicraft is useless as you can't temper enchanted items, enchanting more or less never makes things better then you can find and is buggy, alchemy doesn't actually improve your ability to make potions, etc.

Just dump everything in rhetoric, get handicrafts high enough to make backpacks, and maybe some points in alchemy not to make potions, but to sell them.
Okay what's the command to cheat myself up more craft points since I just invested in alchemy. :mad:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zereth posted:

Okay what's the command to cheat myself up more craft points since I just invested in alchemy. :mad:

Honestly, don't worry about it. Outside of rhetoric none of the secondary skills are all that noteable, and you'll have plenty of points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, don't worry about it. Outside of rhetoric none of the secondary skills are all that noteable, and you'll have plenty of points.
Yeah I want to dump them into Rhetoric instead.

• Locked thread