Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

^^ Thanks- makes sense and I think that's my plan on the Native issue. I'd just give 4-5 natives the 'special sauce' ideas and technology, and leave the rest as is.

Not exactly my question :)

I'm more looking to figure out way(s) to give some of the New World tribes a variety of small 'leg ups' so they can be a bit more interesting/challenging when the Old World reaches their shores. I know I could boost their technology group, and I guess make them not tribal in terms of ideas they can take? But more-so I'd like to give them some ability to expand beyond their starting province...which I'm not certain they usually do.

Looking at http://www.eu4wiki.com/Tribal_nation#Native_ideas...maybe the best solution is to give a few tribes their own custom version of the 'Native Ideas' that gives them a colonist as one of their first rewards? That plus giving them a toned-down version of high-american technology (maybe in line with Muslim Tech's 40% penalty) would make them have some potential without turning the New World in to Sunset Invasion 2.0?

honestly I don't think it will make much difference in gameplay which is unfortunate: And that's what makes the Witcher series: Geralt is a badass for sure, but he usually ends up way over his head in political struggles he can't control

Geralt is a ruthless rear end in a top hat unless it concerns Yen or Ciri, where he is a spectacularly ruthless rear end in a top hat in protecting his "family"

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pellisworth posted:

honestly I don't think it will make much difference in gameplay which is unfortunate: And that's what makes the Witcher series: Geralt is a badass for sure, but he usually ends up way over his head in political struggles he can't control

Geralt is a ruthless rear end in a top hat unless it concerns Yen or Ciri, where he is a spectacularly ruthless rear end in a top hat in protecting his "family"

new dlc looking good

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

new dlc looking good

lol extreme mis-posting oddly prescient

(gently caress me, failure)

Witcher 3 is a good RPG though!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The best thing you could do is make not all of the provinces in America 1/1/1 shitholes.

What you saying about America, buddy :clint:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

With all the new stuff, will we ever get a checkbox on the custom nation designer that always put queens in charge (or the equivalent for the other government forms)? It's no less realistic than being able to start an Icelandic steppe horde in the Andes, with national ideas solely based around gunpowder artillery. I want a high-priestess ruled country damnit!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

What you saying about America, buddy :clint:
The rust belt comes pre-rusted. :v:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Poil posted:

With all the new stuff, will we ever get a checkbox on the custom nation designer that always put queens in charge (or the equivalent for the other government forms)? It's no less realistic than being able to start an Icelandic steppe horde in the Andes, with national ideas solely based around gunpowder artillery. I want a high-priestess ruled country damnit!

Make your starting ruler and heir female. :ssh:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:( My save got corrupted and lost 12 hours of play. Fortunately I managed to get the Basileus achievement. I'm kinda mad because I had just recieved a PU over Sweden who owned all of the Baltics and Scandinavia and a PU shortly before that over Ethopia who was in control of all of the Arabian peninsula. The last 100 years of the game were going to be quite interesting. :argh:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If you want it to be more historical, have the tribes be fully fledged nations at the start but by 1500 have some sort of epidemic counter that ticks up unless you change certain aspects of the culture. If it reaches certain points, have it lay waste to the certain provinces and revert them to colonalzieable or something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YouTuber posted:

:( My save got corrupted and lost 12 hours of play. Fortunately I managed to get the Basileus achievement. I'm kinda mad because I had just recieved a PU over Sweden who owned all of the Baltics and Scandinavia and a PU shortly before that over Ethopia who was in control of all of the Arabian peninsula. The last 100 years of the game were going to be quite interesting. :argh:

what about the backup?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mooseontheloose posted:

If you want it to be more historical, have the tribes be fully fledged nations at the start but by 1500 have some sort of epidemic counter that ticks up unless you change certain aspects of the culture. If it reaches certain points, have it lay waste to the certain provinces and revert them to colonalzieable or something.

This would be pretty hard to set up, but if you could get it to work it would be a pretty cool mechanic for like, the actual game.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What does it mean when a country is forced to release another country because they are "unable to hold on to" them? Castille annexed a South American tribe and the very next day, I got a notification that they had to release the tribe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Means separatist rebels managed to enforce their demands.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tendronai posted:

Make your starting ruler and heir female. :ssh:
That only works for monarchies, not for theocracies and not for republics. And only for as long as your dynasty lives. Queen dies with no heir? Too bad, hope you're not playing iron man.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Poil posted:

That only works for monarchies, not for theocracies and not for republics. And only for as long as your dynasty lives. Queen dies with no heir? Too bad, hope you're not playing iron man.

Making women more of a thing for republics would mean rewriting/tweaking the election events, I think, along with redoing a bunch of country files to cram in more feminine names (unless you're okay with women leaders in a Republic of Spain being named only "Ana" or "Maria Teresa").

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

what about the backup?

That is 12 hours old. The save is 0kb. The game was running like poo poo before I ended for the night. I'm content to just get the achievement.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Bad news for Enrique fans:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/767685786892460032

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does disinheriting an heir have a chance to spawn royal rebels trying to seize power too? :neckbeard:

Ofaloaf posted:

Making women more of a thing for republics would mean rewriting/tweaking the election events, I think, along with redoing a bunch of country files to cram in more feminine names (unless you're okay with women leaders in a Republic of Spain being named only "Ana" or "Maria Teresa").
I'd be okay with that, but there are (a few) more names than those.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:aaaaa:

This is a good feature, and I think that the -50 prestige hit is a reasonable price to pay. I might have opted for making the *next* heir have less legitimacy, too

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

So I jumped into my first ironman game because I want some goddamn cheevos and to challenge myself in new and exciting ways, and boy howdy is this a doozy.

I'm Netherlands, allied with England and Austria, against France, Portugal and the Ottoman Empire.
It's 16something, mil tech 23/24 or so.
France's troops just loving melt my guys, even with double the amount of guys, they do insane amounts of damage and my relatively paltry manpower pool of 60-70k just isnt absorbing 20-30k battle losses, I'm out in two hits. France does have offensive, my ideas are quantity and plutocratic (but none of the minor ideas in plut, just new). Austria is in a war with Poland and can't bring all of their guys to bear on the ottomans, and France has taken over half of england. Thankfully the war goal is lancashire (everything south of it is French already)

How do I survive this? I don't have the MP to turn around and pick more military ideas, and it doesn't look like I can survive when my combats are this loving unbalanced. I'm rocking 18/4/10 armies, I have two and a half (lacking artillery on the third, i was in the middle of building it). If I'm just hosed, any other fun countries I can play? I think I've hit my limit on what I can achieve if I can't weasel my way out of this, because France-Britain is going to smell blood if they murder me in this war. Guess next time go innovative and administrative and just poop out mercs to swell the ranks?

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 22, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Since you're the Netherlands you should be fairly swimming in the trade ducats. Your strategy should be to drown France in mercenaries.

You might still be hosed though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hambilderberglar posted:

So I jumped into my first ironman game because I want some goddamn cheevos and to challenge myself in new and exciting ways, and boy howdy is this a doozy.

I'm Netherlands, allied with England and Austria, against France, Portugal and the Ottoman Empire.
France's troops just loving melt my guys, even with double the amount of guys, they do insane amounts of damage and my relatively paltry manpower pool of 60-70k just isnt absorbing 20-30k battle losses, I'm out in two hits. France does have offensive, my ideas are quantity and plutocratic (but none of the minor ideas in plut, just new). Austria is in a war with Poland and can't bring all of their guys to bear on the ottomans, and France has taken over half of england. Thankfully the war goal is lancashire (everything south of it is French already)

How do I survive this? I don't have the MP to turn around and pick more military ideas, and it doesn't look like I can survive when my combats are this loving unbalanced. I'm rocking 18/4/10 armies, I have two and a half (lacking artillery on the third, i was in the middle of building it). If I'm just hosed, any other fun countries I can play? I think I've hit my limit on what I can achieve if I can't weasel my way out of this, because France-Britain is going to smell blood if they murder me in this war. Guess next time go innovative and administrative and just poop out mercs to swell the ranks?

Are you attacking across rivers and/or into Hills/Mountains/Forests/etc? That makes a huge difference. Go on the defensive and try and catch one of their armies attacking in a disadvantageous way and then overpower them

Are you splitting your armies so as to take advantage of combat width? You should be splitting up your armies so that you have 1 main force that fills your entire combat width with mostly infantry and some cavalry (and another combat's width worth of artillery if possible, since they actually do something from the second row) and then 1 or more stacks of infantry from which you reinforce the main stack. Only up to the combat width is actually engaged in the fighting, but the entire stack takes morale damage, so a 100k stack isn't as effective as a 50k stack that gets topped up every few days with fresh infantry while the battle wages. Doing this does make a big difference; morale is the most important combat stat and using reinforcement stacks lets you keep your morale up for longer. Some terrain types reduce combat width, so you can further optimize your combat stacks by keeping track of that.

Are you using generals effectively? Keeping a general in at least your main stack can make a big difference. It can be tempting to fight battles with general-less stacks, but you do wind up losing a lot more men this way.

If you really want to win then you can go balls-deep into debt and buy tons and tons of mercenaries. Mercenaries don't ever use any of your manpower, so you're basically trading gold for more manpower.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

MrBling posted:

Since you're the Netherlands you should be fairly swimming in the trade ducats. Your strategy should be to drown France in mercenaries.

You might still be hosed though.
I make between 40 and 50 ducats a month, which is probably not what it should be. I'm down to 15 now. I set loans to 24x so I ought to be able to magic up around 3000 gold and remain solvent, although i'll probably be paying interest for the rest of the game unless I shake down the burghers. Although I'm close to my 110 force limit. Did I gently caress it up somehow by not building any barracks? I've seen the ottomans take on 5-6000 ducat debts but their economy probably puts mine to shame.

I'm considering maybe hiding, building up more people and trying to sit it out, but looking at the battle screen my armies make up a significant chunk of what the paper strength of the alliance is. I also hosed up and included Portugal, but it's only France, French Brazil and the Ottomans. England and I have large and developed colonies in north america with armies that should be up to the task, but they're not going to be shipped over. I also just found out that France has more heavy ships than I do. I might just put it in the freezer for a while and try something else.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Are you attacking across rivers and/or into Hills/Mountains/Forests/etc? That makes a huge difference. Go on the defensive and try and catch one of their armies attacking in a disadvantageous way and then overpower them

Are you splitting your armies so as to take advantage of combat width? You should be splitting up your armies so that you have 1 main force that fills your entire combat width with mostly infantry and some cavalry (and another combat's width worth of artillery if possible, since they actually do something from the second row) and then 1 or more stacks of infantry from which you reinforce the main stack. Only up to the combat width is actually engaged in the fighting, but the entire stack takes morale damage, so a 100k stack isn't as effective as a 50k stack that gets topped up every few days with fresh infantry while the battle wages. Doing this does make a big difference; morale is the most important combat stat and using reinforcement stacks lets you keep your morale up for longer.

Are you using generals effectively? Keeping a general in at least your main stack can make a big difference. It can be tempting to fight battles with general-less stacks, but you do wind up losing a lot more men this way.

If you really want to win then you can go balls-deep into debt and buy tons and tons of mercenaries. Mercenaries don't ever use any of your manpower, so you're basically trading gold for more manpower.
Well I had a post here but I guess something went wrong:

I got beaten by a smaller army coming off a boat while defending in my own territory. It feels like I'm in the native tech group it's so bad. My main stack has a good leader I got from the nobility decision but the rest is leaderless, I do try to do the bait and reinforce, but my morale just tanks and suddenly I'm 20000 infantry lighter and my bigger army is routing across the country.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 22, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

You are hosed in this war anyway. Austria is usually a good safeguard though England kind of sucks even if they haven't lost any home soil, but against France and the Ottomans with a side war in Poland? Buy your way out or something and say goodbye to England forever, if you continue. I'm not sure you're totally done with the campaign, but facing a long slog against France and the Ottomans is enough to make it pretty unpalatable to continue.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Thomas Paine gets two DLCs. Nice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah it might be time to just lose gracefully and move on

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm pretending the new one is "someone who forgot about half of Lafayette", personally.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 23, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hambilderberglar posted:

So you do not have Offensive, Defensive, or Quality....and you are fighting France. That pretty much explains it right there. The stuff other people have said contribute, but you do not have any Discipline or Morale boosts to speak of as the Netherlands in the 1600s; France gets +20% Morale early in their national set and that is huuuuuuuuuuge, especially against someone with no morale bonuses.

You're hosed.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I had an idea for a custom nation based in England wherein I go about the game fighting all wars with vassals and not participate militarily myself (after first acquiring said vassals through quick wars). I think the obvious key to this is to pump diplo rep and prestige generation to the upper limits wherever possible to keep vassal liberty desire down as I feed them all the territory I conquer. I would also have to maintain a large army to keep relative power in check. Anything I'm not considering and what type of custom ideas would you go for?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I was convinced this one would be called The Prince, but I guess that doesn't sound as inspiring. It would be a better description of a EU4 though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dorkopotamis posted:

I had an idea for a custom nation based in England wherein I go about the game fighting all wars with vassals and not participate militarily myself (after first acquiring said vassals through quick wars). I think the obvious key to this is to pump diplo rep and prestige generation to the upper limits wherever possible to keep vassal liberty desire down as I feed them all the territory I conquer. I would also have to maintain a large army to keep relative power in check. Anything I'm not considering and what type of custom ideas would you go for?

Ever played EU3?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

THE BAR posted:

Ever played EU3?

No.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Decided I wanted to play USA without waiting three hundred years or using a crappy bookmark, so I messed with the game's files. Plan is to colonize Colonial Eastern America as Portugal and release New Portugal to form USA in 1540 or so.

Changes I made:

1. Reduced requirements to form USA (admin tech requirement now 8 instead of 10)
2. Form American Nation decision now parallels Form Prussian Nation event (i.e. capital's culture becomes American, random province becomes American)
3. Changed American culture to be in Iberian culture group
4. Moved start dates of all USA events about two hundred years earlier. First one starts at 1550.

I'm in 1530 and have the coastline locked down all the way from Southern Canada to Louisiana. Castille is messing around in Brazil, and nobody else seems to be colonizing at all.

Now that I think about it, could end up being a pretty boring game with no competition. Might decide to invade Europe or something. At least it'll be fun seeing the cool USA flavor events pop up.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

So you do not have Offensive, Defensive, or Quality....and you are fighting France. That pretty much explains it right there. The stuff other people have said contribute, but you do not have any Discipline or Morale boosts to speak of as the Netherlands in the 1600s; France gets +20% Morale early in their national set and that is huuuuuuuuuuge, especially against someone with no morale bonuses.

You're hosed.
My usual ideas set is some variation on exploration, expansion, maritime in DIP (maritime really only for confirming thalassocracy because i need MORE MERCHANTS. Quantity and pluto for MIL (merchants, extra manpower which i always seem to be in need of, couple of good policies, forcelimit) and Economic, Innovative and Administrative.

Usually the opening 3-4 are quantity, exploration, expansion and trade or something else to maximize my cash flow and punch in the same leagues as Portugal and Spain.

I know about the elan bonus france gets, plus a discipline modifier as well, but this is the first game where the difference has been so stark that doubling my troops still just makes my armies faces melt off like in raiders of the lost ark. Not having offensive/defensive/quality definitely hurts me. I can forego maritime, and put trade off until later because of the fact that I can score extra merchants from east india company, plutocratic and just having a shitload of colonial nations. The problem then becomes that it feels difficult to remain at the bleeding edge of military tech.

I could dump quant for qual or defensive at the beginning but then I doubt I have the troop count to actually stand up to anyone. I already build training centers at a feverish rate to keep pace when I play tall.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hambilderberglar posted:

My usual ideas set is some variation on exploration, expansion, maritime in DIP (maritime really only for confirming thalassocracy because i need MORE MERCHANTS. Quantity and pluto for MIL (merchants, extra manpower which i always seem to be in need of, couple of good policies, forcelimit) and Economic, Innovative and Administrative.

Usually the opening 3-4 are quantity, exploration, expansion and trade or something else to maximize my cash flow and punch in the same leagues as Portugal and Spain.

I know about the elan bonus france gets, plus a discipline modifier as well, but this is the first game where the difference has been so stark that doubling my troops still just makes my armies faces melt off like in raiders of the lost ark. Not having offensive/defensive/quality definitely hurts me. I can forego maritime, and put trade off until later because of the fact that I can score extra merchants from east india company, plutocratic and just having a shitload of colonial nations. The problem then becomes that it feels difficult to remain at the bleeding edge of military tech.

I could dump quant for qual or defensive at the beginning but then I doubt I have the troop count to actually stand up to anyone. I already build training centers at a feverish rate to keep pace when I play tall.
Interesting. Yeah I dont know what to say. Sorry if I sounded rude or dismissing in my post, I was half-asleep and noticed that no one pointed out France's military benefits. But if France has those national ideas, Offensive (and any other military ideas), and other modifiers (lucky? tech?) I would expect them to steamroll you, with you having none.

With other combat factors, such as leader quality, terrain/rivers, and events (the French may get events that give them military boosts) I could see them melting you like that. One problem, because of Combat Width, is that having double the forces of them may not even be helping because half of your army is in reserve losing morale without even fighting (because thats what combat width does to troops that are in excess of what is needed to be on the front row). Are you full up on Artillery in your back row? The AI loves to have tons of artillery and if they have way more than you it can swing battles. When fighting against opponents that have military advantages like those it is strongly recommended to have double the troops, but you have to feed them into the battle - have Combat Width worth of infantry and Cav start in the battle and then as time goes on you feed fresh (full morale) infantry into the battle.

If you are having trouble with manpower, instead of taking Quantity to have more manpower, you could focus on having mercenaries as your infantry. As THE DUTCH you should be rich enough to afford that. Early in games and/or as someone with manpower constraints (e.g. when manpower is tight) I will run 4 Cav plus like 6 normal infantry in my standing army, but then as soon as I am going to go to war I recruit up to combat width in Merc Infantry. Then, if the strategic situation allows, I merge my units after battles and recruit more mercs out of occupied provinces. This means that your ~6 normal infantry slowly get whittled down, but then after the war (if you are not going to go war again right away) you can disband your mercs and recruit a few normal infantry back into your army.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Interesting. Yeah I dont know what to say. Sorry if I sounded rude or dismissing in my post, I was half-asleep and noticed that no one pointed out France's military benefits. But if France has those national ideas, Offensive (and any other military ideas), and other modifiers (lucky? tech?) I would expect them to steamroll you, with you having none.

With other combat factors, such as leader quality, terrain/rivers, and events (the French may get events that give them military boosts) I could see them melting you like that. One problem, because of Combat Width, is that having double the forces of them may not even be helping because half of your army is in reserve losing morale without even fighting (because thats what combat width does to troops that are in excess of what is needed to be on the front row). Are you full up on Artillery in your back row? The AI loves to have tons of artillery and if they have way more than you it can swing battles. When fighting against opponents that have military advantages like those it is strongly recommended to have double the troops, but you have to feed them into the battle - have Combat Width worth of infantry and Cav start in the battle and then as time goes on you feed fresh (full morale) infantry into the battle.

If you are having trouble with manpower, instead of taking Quantity to have more manpower, you could focus on having mercenaries as your infantry. As THE DUTCH you should be rich enough to afford that. Early in games and/or as someone with manpower constraints (e.g. when manpower is tight) I will run 4 Cav plus like 6 normal infantry in my standing army, but then as soon as I am going to go to war I recruit up to combat width in Merc Infantry. Then, if the strategic situation allows, I merge my units after battles and recruit more mercs out of occupied provinces. This means that your ~6 normal infantry slowly get whittled down, but then after the war (if you are not going to go war again right away) you can disband your mercs and recruit a few normal infantry back into your army.
It's ok, I didn't take any offense. I figured something went wrong somewhere for me to get owned this hard :v:

Mercenaries as infantry only really end up working for me after I've become relatively territory-complete and dominate the channel node, before that I'm usually too poor and just get into a series of escalating loans. It also requires I pick two admin ideas to do optimally, and for MP reasons I have to spread them out. My first admin idea is always expansion, for the trade & colonists that I need to expand abroad, since embryonic netherlands is basically a bad war away from becoming a HRE backwater. The first one is either quantity or exploration, depending on how the first few years look and how my monarch point situation plays out. So quant > exploration > expansion or exploration > expansion > quant. I notice some ideas have changed since I've last dove into this, and maritime was a previously sort of a middling pick saved by the thalassocracy decision and the ships repairing in coastal seazones thing, but it looks less appealing now, especially since the botes don't save me from getting skullfucked by the French. I could do something like:

exploration, expansion, quantity, trade, economic, defensive, innovative, plutocratic. still won't be the cheapest mercenaries, but the 25% off from innovative at least will help.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I would do Defensive first instead of Quantity.

Ask yourself, do you have enough forcelimits to field a complete combat width of troops in all major theaters? That's like 20-25 regiments total early on. If the answer is yes, you probably don't need quantity that badly.

Defensive lets you punch up pretty well and play, well, defensively.

edit: I would probably skip Maritime, too, it's not really doing much for you since sailors are kind of irrelevant as a mechanic and you have tons of merchants and naval forcelimits from your colonies and trade companies. It seems like overkill to take a whole idea line basically just for the Thalassocracy decision.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm continuing to comb through my CK2-EU4 conversion and, like I assume happens a lot with conversions, Byzantium survived mostly intact in to my EU4. I'm not a huge Byzantium geek and I'd like to put something in place so it kind of dissolves...but I was trying to think of some way to do that without just creating a alt-Ottoman to come in and beat them up. I was thinking it'd be more interesting if Byzantium more broke apart on its own and became the first 'Sick Man of Europe' (I guess second after the Roman Empire...)

I'm wondering if there was a way to re-purpose Ming's Celestial Empire/Mandate of Heaven mechanics for Byzantium, and include a series of events that would help induce it to crisis in most playthroughs. Basically something to spur it to fall apart as religious, cultural, and corruption issues fractured the empire even though its size and technology should keep it going strong through EU4. Anyone ever do something like this?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I would do Defensive first instead of Quantity.

Ask yourself, do you have enough forcelimits to field a complete combat width of troops in all major theaters? That's like 20-25 regiments total early on. If the answer is yes, you probably don't need quantity that badly.

Defensive lets you punch up pretty well and play, well, defensively.

edit: I would probably skip Maritime, too, it's not really doing much for you since sailors are kind of irrelevant as a mechanic and you have tons of merchants and naval forcelimits from your colonies and trade companies. It seems like overkill to take a whole idea line basically just for the Thalassocracy decision.
I'm looking into the ideas in depth again and the policies and bonuses I get from maritime are pretty dumpy and definitely too much of a good thing. I poo poo sailors already, my force limit is usually well north of 200 ships, and while ships penny and sheltered ports are nice-to-have, it does seem overkill.

A big part of why I take quantity is also tied up in the policies it gives me, the -10% development one and the extra settlers are must-picks for me to get my annual gain in the 110-140 range with the right bonuses/missions running, and to bring down my monarch point cost for going tall and remaining competitive with the likes of the French. The force limit is usually nice mid to late game when I blink and all of a sudden I can field 100 regiments. The selling point of the actual ideas are also more the extra manpower and financial help (-10% regiment cost, -10% maintenance, 20% manpower recovery and 50% extra nat'l manpower).

With plutocratic giving me some morale and manpower recovery speed, I can either double down with defensive for 25% extra morale, 20% cheaper maintenance, 35% less land attritition total, which sounds pretty loving sweet with the extra attrition and fort defense/garrison size boost, though quality seems to be completely focused on making my dudes be the best dudes that ever duded, which given how hard france hosed me might be the way to go in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Can I ask for an opinion? I'm pretty close to the end of this Scandinavia playthrough, and while I'm doing well economically, from what I've seen of others' empires I think I ought to be doing much better. I control North Germany and the Baltic with both their trade nodes, and I have a fairly long chain of colonies (random new world) sending cash to Lübeck, plus another trade company in the East Indies.

I suspect I'm doing something seriously wrong, can you point out any blatant mismanagement? Here is an album of screenshots with some explanations, and here is the saved game if you want to open it to check it out.

• Locked thread