Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Also I have deck of cards of naval spotting for ships from the 40s through the 60s. It's missing a card since I gave the ship class my dad served on to him. Useless as a deck and it's just a repro, so anyone want it? Thought one of you naval nerds might anyway.

I'd be interested if it's still around, do you have PMs? Happy to PayPal or whatever you the cost of shipping of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Just want to briefly jump in for a point of clarification - HEY GAL what exactly is your story? From what I've gathered lurking you do 30YW re-enacting and possibly work (study? something) at a university. If you feel comfortable mind explaining a bit?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

ugly graph part 2

I realise you don't have data for the entire period, but I think the x axis is really confusing; wouldn't it be better to give all the years the same number of months and accept some gaps?

Polyakov posted:

I'm working on the last post about mines now, i may split it up into two depending on how much i feel like typing tommorrow evening but i wanted to ask if people would want to read another series of posts in a while when im done reading about the topic.

Your posts about mines have been really cool and interesting, thanks for posting them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Crazycryodude posted:

Just want to briefly jump in for a point of clarification - HEY GAL what exactly is your story? From what I've gathered lurking you do 30YW re-enacting and possibly work (study? something) at a university. If you feel comfortable mind explaining a bit?

HEY GAL is a Swedish Cavalry reenactor who loves Gustavus Adolphus with a passion.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Endman posted:

HEY GAL is a Swedish Cavalry reenactor who loves Gustavus Adolphus with a passion.

seriously it's creepy

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
She likes her fellow soldiers as orderly and disciplined as possible. Never touching a drop.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She showed up on the same day a small town in West Virginia mysteriously vanished.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endman posted:

Also has a thing for:

Pants
Pikes
Pints

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

She showed up on the same day a small town in West Virginia mysteriously vanished.

:golfclap:

Were these books good?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Catherine the Great was pretty cool too

until the pulley broke

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Raenir Salazar posted:

:golfclap:

Were these books good?

I liked it as a simple feel good for :patriot: story.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Polikarpov posted:

Overpressure from a test firing of South Dakota's main battery supposedly ripped the pants off her Captain, Thomas Gatch. I believe South Dakota also shattered her scout plane when her rear turret opened fire at Second Guadalcanal.

From "Neptune's Inferno" page 346.

"The first time the South Dakota's main battery was tested with a full nine-gun broadside, the wave of blast pressure pushed through the passageway where Captain Thomas Gatch was standing, tearing his pants right off him."

And from page 355.

"Though the South Dakota's main battery was hamstrung, with just four guns working in her two forward turrets, swinging aft to remain on target, bumped up againts the stop that kept her from firing into her own superstructure. The after turret, with no such restraints, kept firing, however, and as it trained straight aft the wash of fire from her barrels set fire to her two floatplanes, fantail-mounted on catapults. The small bonfires raged briefly before the next salvo blew them right off the ship."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hey that's a better method of firefighting than the Kido Butai had.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

thatbastardken posted:

literally from a roleplaying game

http://gregstolze.com/reign1/

I know Reign (because I used the mechanics for my own early modern elfgame project), but I am vaguely remembering something about horseback riding (and biking too) resulting in vascular issues related to men's junk not working properly.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Endman posted:

She's going to kill you for this

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm not racist, but Gustavus Adolphus had some good ideas.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

I liked it as a simple feel good for :patriot: story.

I disliked it as leaning way too much on the :patriot: 'all those ignorant 17th century Europeans needed were Good Old American Values And Civilisation', but then I'm a European.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

V. Illych L. posted:

seriously it's creepy
don't forget the protestant religion/s, those are also very, very cool

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FAUXTON posted:

Hey that's a better method of firefighting than the Kido Butai had.

18th-century Edo had more efficient damage control than the Kido Butai.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

John Wycliffe was pretty cool imho

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am a reenactor who also is getting her doctorate in 17th century milhist. it'll be about a regiment that went to italy from 1625 to 1627 and then everyone ran out of money and left, it's great. the Ugly Graph is for an article, not that dissertation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

House Louse posted:

I realise you don't have data for the entire period, but I think the x axis is really confusing; wouldn't it be better to give all the years the same number of months and accept some gaps?
you're the second person who said that and i'm not sure

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Before antibiotics, a gut shot just meant your death was slow and painful, anyway.
not according to this guy's book, just "clean the filth" out of the wound, sew the intestines back together, and it might be touch and go but not an automatic death sentence.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

i am a reenactor who also is getting her doctorate in 17th century milhist. it'll be about a regiment that went to italy from 1625 to 1627 and then everyone ran out of money and left, it's great. the Ugly Graph is for an article, not that dissertation.

my dad posted:

HEY GAL is a German mercenary, so it's best to treat her like a cloud of alcohol, pistols, windows, pistols shooting through windows, weird German words, and suspiciously bloody coins that gets regularly quartered in this thread.

Trin Tragula actually may well be Lois Barthas

JaucheCharly is an Ottoman archer studying under Mustafa Kani

Jobbo_Fett is that Quartermaster featured in all the stories you've heard about

Tevery Best runs the Polish underground

Polyakov has been possessed by David Bushnell

edit: and nobody will convince me otherwise

(oh god.... am I proto-goon George Baker?)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

lenoon posted:

edit: and nobody will convince me otherwise

(oh god.... am I proto-goon George Baker?)

yessssssss

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

not according to this guy's book, just "clean the filth" out of the wound, sew the intestines back together, and it might be touch and go but not an automatic death sentence.

People did use to survive a lot more serious wounds than people expect. Sure, a whole lot of people did die who wouldn't die today but the human body is a wonderous thing in how resilient it can be.

There was someone in either the last thread or the sword thread who said that people in the past were less good at fighting with swords since they couldn't practice as well as us because of no antibiotics, which is hilarious. Even back in the 17th century, cuts from swordfighting practice would not kill you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

People did use to survive a lot more serious wounds than people expect. Sure, a whole lot of people did die who wouldn't die today but the human body is a wonderous thing in how resilient it can be.

There was someone in either the last thread or the sword thread who said that people in the past were less good at fighting with swords since they couldn't practice as well as us because of no antibiotics, which is hilarious. Even back in the 17th century, cuts from swordfighting practice would not kill you.
pappenheim and his forehead situation

(sorry stallhandsch, i found The Best Cav)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this specific post reminded me that I'm really meaning to read "The Cheese and the Worms" (and have been for 5+ years).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this specific post reminded me that I'm really meaning to read "The Cheese and the Worms" (and have been for 5+ years).

do it, everyone should

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Could we have a discussion about war movies? What is everyone's favorite war movie? Most accurate? Guilty pleasure?

My favorite would probably be "Cross of Iron", "Das Boot", or "Master and Commander". If we're stretching the definition of war movie a little, I'd say "Europa, Europa" is the absolute best, followed by "Paths of Glory" or "Downfall". Would also include "When Trumpets Fade" though I do believe that was a made for TV production. As far as guilty pleasures, I've definitely watched the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan a few times. Glory, also.

When you really get down to it, "war movie" is hard to define.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I saw "Come and See" 9 years ago and I believe it was the most accurate war movie I've ever seen, and it was amazing, but I wouldn't recommend it simply because I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that. I also don't want to rewatch it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

do it, everyone should

I am not an academic.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I liked writing that castle post. So have another, far shittier, castle.

NOTE: this post contains a lot of Llywellyns. All Welsh Kings are called Llywellyn. It also contains a few Dafydds and the odd Gruffudd. All Welsh Kings not called Llywellyn are called Dafydd, Gruffudd or Rhodri. This continues to this day.

Criccieth.

The best castles in Wales were built by the English. The other castles in Wales were built by the Welsh. Criccieth is in the latter group. Edward's castles are mighty strongholds of well-designed killing floors, bulwarks, towers and wards protected by other wards, spiralling staircases and crammed full of every expensive defensive trick that the medieval mind could conceive. Welsh castles are squat, usually square and often a bit shoddy.

Put simply, Criccieth is a cargo-cult castle.

Building begins in about 1225, with Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Powys and Gwynedd, brother-in-law to King John, celebrating his increasingly tight grip on Wales and not-at-all-chafing-honest-guv as a semi-vassal of England. He's been busy balancing his desire to control north Wales with placating both the English King and his legendarily greedy and acquisitive Marcher Lords to the south. It's a delicate balancing act, and it requires control over strategic locations and resources. Part of this plan is to build a stronghold that can exert control over the north part of Cardigan bay.

Building castles is not a new art to North Wales, but it's not got a long pedigree, and architects and masons will have to be brought in (as Edward does), or the plan and even stonework of the castles will not be very good (as Llywelyn finds out). Wales has a tradition of mobile, semi-fortified llysoedd, the noble court, that moves with the King and sets up every couple of months in temporary almost roman-style fortifications that are now, with very few exceptions, lost.

But in the early years after the Norman expansion into Wales, a few adventurers and minor warlords did make it up to Wales, and Criccieth especially. There they built the classic norman flat pack motte and bailey. The idea catches on. Criccieth is a pretty good place for a castle - and all of Llywelyn's castles guard a particularly useful point:

Criccieth guards the north coast of Bae Ceredigion (Cardigan Bay), and the large inlet at Porthmadog - just as Harlech does. Criccieth nabs the best position - closer to the bay and more accessible from it, while Harlech, while unassailable in any practical term, struggles to provide a way to transit men and material to and from the bay. The other castles marked on the map are more of Llywelyn's, and you can see from the modern road positions that they guard simple and accessible ways through a fairly formidable (by British standards) mountain chain - Snowdonia. These castles are made to guard and control, much more strongpoints from which to fight rather than castles from which to rule.

Criccieth itself starts out in 1240-ish as a set of walls enclosing a small courtyard, a single line of fortification that is the absolute simplest point a medieval castle can possibly be. In this aerial shot, most of the original castle isn't there:

The masonry of the original walls is pretty uneven, and draws from local sources:

The castle presents it's strongest face to the world, with two D-shaped towers (oooooh yeah castle nerds you know you want those double-Ds), but Llywellyn's architect has probably seen some, or heard of them, rather than seeing the plans or consulting them in any useful way. So, originally, the towers are short, probably only two stories - the post-holes in the picture below are likely to mark the top of the original towers.

In it's early history, Criccieth does very little. Llywellyn makes treaties with the English kings, and fights against the often virtually independent Marcher Lords, and does so with great success, raiding and burning deep into English territory, until an Irish army (possibly entirely of mercenaries), comes in and sacks towns towards the south of Cardigan bay, far from Llewellyn's recently built castles. The English continue to encroach on his territory (and are beaten back), but never his heartland strongholds, so Criccieth sits virtually unused. Llywellyn himself walks straight into history with all the grace and ridiculousness of a Crusader Kings 2 character, including making alliance pacts with English lords who then sleep with his wife (and are executed), reforming succession laws to delegitimise bastards all over the country, a series of peace treaties broken immediately after the reputation malus lapses, and finally dying probably of a stroke, but actually of a broken heart after his (now forgiven) wife dies in 1237. Criccieth is used by his immediate heir Daffyd as a prison for Llywellyn's bastard, who would later be propped up as a pretender King of Wales and end his days imprisoned in another one of his father's castles.

The castle has a peaceful few years until it falls into the hands of King Arthur, sorry, the unwaith a brenin yn y dyfodol, bugger, again Our Last King, Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, who lives a few years at peace with England until the death of his friend Simon de "Badass" Montfort, de facto king of England, whose friendship is surely due for an awesome buddy-cop comedy about two lords (One's Welsh! The other's English! They're the original Odd Couple!) trying to bargain with each other for support in their respective wars partially against each other. After de Montfort dies, Llywellyn ap Gruffudd decides he has approximately five years before the English Monarchy wrests power back from the Barons, and he decides to kick the living poo poo out of any English lords in the vicinity, which works rather well.

Until the five years are over. A welshmen-on-tour run of stunning victories not seen again until 1911 when the Five Nations were crushed under the lyrical stylings and rugby power of 15 men who normally worked eight hour days in the pit and relaxed by smoking cigarettes and having black lung, comes to a fairly damp squib when Llywellyn is forced, grumbling, to swear fealty to the English King. This lasts about five years, until the first great rebellion and the entrance of King Edward, wanker-in-chief. Luckily, thinking ahead, Criccieth has been expanded to two whole wards with a second gateway - a proper, but not great, concentric defence.

Take a look at the aerial shot again.

You should be able to see the problem. The gatehouse is great, but the second ward has been added only at the rear. Great for withstanding a siege if all you have to do is stockpile food in there and wait for the next supply boat, but less good for actually, you know, withstanding an assault. A square gatehouse/tower is built to back top of the picture, but again - this is cargo-cult design. Someone has said "it would be better to have a castle more like Caerphilly" (i.e. incredible), but not a lot of thought has gone into it. It can be easily attacked with catapult or ladder from three of it's four sides. The gate can be approached by the easiest road. The road you can see now is not to the gate Criccieth had at this point.

The inevitable result is that after a minor siege (you know, a little starvation, some traded insults, some arrows, possibly competitive singing competitions), Criccieth falls to the English in 1283. Not one to waste a fortification when he sees one, and seeing Criccieth as a possible matching pair to Harlech to really gently caress over anyone trying to sail into Snowdonia (the Irish!), Edward has James of Saint George, master castle builder, take a look at Criccieth. By all accounts he is not a massive fan of what he sees. Renovations are quicker and cheaper than building a new castle, and a huge ward is added behind, all the walls are strengthened, an extra storey is put on the gatehouse and the tower in front, and a bastion is built to one side, often called an "engine tower", but who knows if siege engines were placed there. All in all, it's still a bit wonky and not the best castle in the business, but it is all there. Another barbican and perimeter wall around the base of the hill completes the picture, all for the less-than-princely sum of £300.

The gatehouse in particular is now enormous, and it's walls have had an extra foot of width (at least) added on to them. You can really see the three-stage extension process here:

Madog's rebellion in the 1290s tries to take Criccieth, but caught between Harlech and Criccieth his army is unable to prevent fairly regular Irish resupply boats keeping the English garrison in mutton and arrows. Harlech withstands a much more intense siege, and Caerphilly is only kept bottled up, with seemingly no real attempt to reduce the garrison there. Of course, this begs the question why Madog didn't take the much easier, slightly shittier castle - but Criccieth probably isn't that much of a prize and, if it was taken, would provide a poor point to defend when the inevitable reprisal came (which is did).

Between Madog's rebellion and the final destruction of the castle, it's ruled over by a number of Welsh constables swearing fealty to the Lords of England, including "Wales' strongest man ever" Hywel y Fwyall (all Welsh constables not named Daffyd or Gruffudd are names Hywel), who had fought in the battle of Poitiers and personally captured the King of France after cutting off his horses head with a single nonchalant flick of his battle-axe, a fact that nothing anyone can possibly say about who actually did it, if it happened, or even whether he was there at all can change, saesneg which was then honoured with a place of honour at the table of the English Kings until the Tudor period (actual real fact).

Criccieth falls for the second and last time when forces under Owain Glyndwr, he-who-waits-in-the-coal, capture the castle and - having already not only captured the far superior Harlech but set up his court and parliament there - decide to tear down the walls and set it alight. Possibly pragmatic - but definitely symbolic. Glyndwr knows his history and his mythology, and is well aware this is an English castle born on a Welsh foundation. Again, another powerful symbol of English rule in Wales, but this time one he can afford to destroy.

And, again, while the nation waits for the return of any number of Kings said to sleep under the mountains, one of which should probably wake up soon because North Wales in particular could really use them right now, the castles of Wales are kept safe by the hand of our greatest ally against the English, one whom we shall ne'er forsake lest our muse be once again forced to elude the traitor's foul knives, and our harps be once again hidden from the hand of Westminster:

Oh for gently caress's sake Wales

lenoon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 22, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

I am not an academic.

so?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

cheerfullydrab posted:

Could we have a discussion about war movies?

Actual favorite is The Longest Day because c'mon it's a classic and have you SEEN John Wayne try to pretend to be 27 it's hilarious. I've got a soft spot for Fury on account of my personal connection to Shermans, and I like how it doesn't go full :911: wank and instead just tells a story about 5 guys in a tank fighting a pointless war that should have ended a year ago. It's also decently accurate (it's the ONLY film I've ever seen that gets tracers right) as long as you disregard the TIger and everything that happened after they hit the mine. In fact, I think the whole movie gets better if you just pretend that after they hit the mine, they walk their asses home like any sane tank crew would and they go off to do more depressing things until they either pointlessly die or the war ends.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

Could we have a discussion about war movies? What is everyone's favorite war movie? Most accurate? Guilty pleasure?

I can't think of a bad scene from Band of Brothers.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Das Boot

cheerfullydrab posted:

When you really get down to it, "war movie" is hard to define.

The Caine Mutiny

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Wasn't there an effort to have a separate War Literature/Art/Movies thread? While it's an interesting discussion, I don't think it belongs here.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

lenoon posted:

I liked writing that castle post. So have another, far shittier, castle.

Castle posts are good and we need more them. Star forts get some love, but everyone loves a big looming castle (or a small, not-so looming one in this case)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wasn't there an effort to have a separate War Literature/Art/Movies thread? While it's an interesting discussion, I don't think it belongs here.

War movies belong here way more than war literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

War movies belong here way more than war literature.

Why wouldn't war literature be appropriate? Views of war, cultural understandings of war etc etc are as much a part of military history as talking about the width of a bullet or the thickness of a tiger's glacis plate.