Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

pseudanonymous posted:

Alzion posted:

You can't jerry-rig multi-threading into a engine. The entire design of the engine has to be built from the ground up with multi-threading in mind. Hence why the developers have said they would do EVE 2.0 instead because adding multi-threading would involve rewriting a major portion of the game.

It's kind of frustrating that CCP has chosen to develop what, 3-4 game engines from the profits of Eve rather than make this investment. I think what CCP doesn't understand is they are a poo poo company. They are poo poo at making products, they are poo poo at marketing products, they are also poo poo at business in general. They got lucky with Eve. They're like a lottery winner who decides that they have some bizarre competitive advantage at "luck" and blows their winnings on first scratch tickets, when those don't work out they try betting on horse racing, that doesn't work out they roulette, etc..

CCP isn't a game company. They are an Eve company. If Hilmar "poo poo at business" Petursson ever figures that out, they could get a lot better.

Just imagine the fun that would happen if CCP actually magically figured out how to do business decisions right for once, and built eve2.0 from the ground up without having to hamstring every goal with legacy code

...then turned right back around by deciding to make it only work on iPhone. Because that's where the market is going these days, right? Someone with an associate's degree in statistics made a chart, so it must be true!

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I would expect EVE ported to hololens, if anything. The perspective is correct, and if you centered the player's ship on a table it would lend itself well to the ergonomics demonstrated in the demo of Minecraft.

No idea what the hardware is like on the hololens and whether it can handle the client. And of course if the CPU is mobile architecture, deal's off. But a lot of portables feature desktop CPUs lately.

My only concern? Whatever they do, port my characters and their 1.5 Billion SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg

a Hololens view could replace our current, flat icons. Icons and brackets don't change size according to distance, which strips away visual distance information. Those giant squares would have to go, or at least allow themselves to become downsized over distance.

The icons we have now are on a 2D sprite layer that you can't port to the hololens experience without picking a Z-depth. It's best to just do away with the "dumb" sprites and begin placing icons in the 3D space proper, so they can scale based on distance. EVE has used the topmost spirte layer as a crutch for way too long imo, and it's time for EVE to wean off it.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 22, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Elsa posted:

I would expect EVE ported to hololens, if anything. The perspective is correct, and if you centered the player's ship on a table it would lend itself well to the ergonomics demonstrated in the demo of Minecraft.

No idea what the hardware is like on the hololens and whether it can handle the client. And of course if the CPU is mobile architecture, deal's off. But a lot of portables feature desktop CPUs lately.

My only concern? Whatever they do, port my characters and their 1.5 Billion SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg

a Hololens view could replace our current, flat icons. Icons and brackets don't change size according to distance, which strips away visual distance information. Those giant squares would have to go, or at least allow themselves to become downsized over distance.

The icons we have now are on a 2D sprite layer that you can't port to the hololens experience without picking a Z-depth. It's best to just do away with the "dumb" sprites and begin placing icons in the 3D space proper, so they can scale based on distance. EVE has used the topmost spirte layer as a crutch for way too long imo, and it's time for EVE to wean off it.

can i gently caress it though

asking for a friend

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

It's not really an investment they can feasibly make. Even if there wasn't the ball of technical debt, source code no one wants to touch, systems that are mysterious black boxes, they would have to halt development on every other aspect of the game for 1-2 years. The type of engineering endeavor to completely overhaul a piece of software from a single threaded to a multi-threaded model of execution, that was developed in an interpreted language using a library that doesn't support multi-processing/threading, is just as likely to kill the game as save it. And with 0 new developments while this is happening, who is even left to play the game after this multiyear process is done?

It sounds dopey and stupid, but if that was the problem they wanted to solve, Eve 2.0 would be the better solution.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They dont even have to do any of that, just revert the last 3 years of bullshit design decisions

Then delete titans and supercarriers

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Jazzzzz posted:

non-programmer talking out of my rear end here: how slim is the possibility of being able to re-write the engine to be multi-threaded, taking advantage of modern multi-core CPUs and perhaps reduce the severity of tidi in that fashion so it could actually handle giant brawls vs. repeatedly loving up game mechanics and making their players quit in order to reduce the number of people who can respond to rage pings about tackled titans

it's more than a little disingenuous to use these huge fleet battles to try and sell subscriptions when the designers keep making choices that actively make giant brawls far less likely

More often it's not about "can we do this" but rather "If we put this much human effort into the game. Will more people come play it. Or can we just put the same effort into another game/save the money"

I doubt many of the current players will quit due to mechanics that have always been in the game. They do it because they get bored of the core game. Likewise I doubt it will bring a lot of new players who were never aware of the problem. Or old players.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Most of that open letter is just window dressing for the call for changing jump mechanics

The only thing preventing MBC supers camping off of the d-w fortizar is jump aids.

I can't believe goonflairs are supporting any movement towards a time when your supers could cross the galaxy in an hour and escalate anything they wanted

Imagine the reach of plnc and their vast rental/moon empire

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

4th Horseman posted:

Most of that open letter is just window dressing for the call for changing jump mechanics

The only thing preventing MBC supers camping off of the d-w fortizar is jump aids.

I can't believe goonflairs are supporting any movement towards a time when your supers could cross the galaxy in an hour and escalate anything they wanted

Source your quotes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

4th Horseman posted:

we experienced it firsthand

that capri shitlord who wrote that letter has only been playing for like two years and never seen any of that

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
A friend told me a few days ago that when you lose a T3C and it chooses what skill to take, it always takes your most recently trained skill. Is it true? Does it work if I extract Propulsion 4 and inject it back?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

4th Horseman posted:

I wouldn't mind decreasing the jump debt on capitals, but keeping supercaps where they were. They could also implement a non-combat carrier variant that is strictly for hauling ships, for the whole "mini deployment thing" that we lament the loss of.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

I wouldn't mind decreasing the jump debt on capitals, but keeping supercaps where they were. They could also implement a non-combat carrier variant that is strictly for hauling ships, for the whole "mini deployment thing" that we lament the loss of.

Jump Drive bowhead variant.

Edit: to be clear, I have no idea whether that'd be a good or a bad thing.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Jump Drive bowhead variant.

Edit: to be clear, I have no idea whether that'd be a good or a bad thing.

Cool idea, but it would be a huge buff to incursion runners. Right now basically the only time they are vulnerable is when they're.mocing between incursions.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Cool idea, but it would be a huge buff to incursion runners. Right now basically the only time they are vulnerable is when they're.mocing between incursions.

Sort of? Can't light a cyno in highsec so they're still going to have to go from gate to gate anyway, though I guess you're talking about emergency exit cynos?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Carth Dookie posted:

Sort of? Can't light a cyno in highsec so they're still going to have to go from gate to gate anyway, though I guess you're talking about emergency exit cynos?

He's talking about exit cynos. Even cutting it down to 5LY wouldn't help very much because it just means they need more cynos

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

FranktheBank posted:

A friend told me a few days ago that when you lose a T3C and it chooses what skill to take, it always takes your most recently trained skill. Is it true? Does it work if I extract Propulsion 4 and inject it back?
I've always been told that it's one level of your highest trained subsystem skill (5 to 4, for example), or a random one if more than one subsystem is highly trained. I strongly doubt you could game the system like that.

dodkalm
Nov 27, 2012
Subsystem skill loss is completely random

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Jazzzzz posted:

something tells me that if they devoted a small competent team to it (lol :ccp: competent) they probably could have done that over the years people have been asking. or hell, write the new engine, re-use as many assets as possible, and hey look a new game

someone send CCP a few copies of The Phoenix Project, it's written at a 6th grade level so they should be able to understand it

The question for development teams is rarely "would it be easier to re-write key elements of the ageing codebase from scratch?" or "would it make us more efficient in the long run to pay off tecnical debt?" Those are questions tossed around by non-devs and by frustrated junior devs struggling to work through the archaeological layers of seven previous devs hacking fixes to a routine.

The question that gets asked is actually "is it more efficient for this year's revenue figures to spend the next few months rewriting swathes of the codebase or to invest the same money in adding yet more features atop this teetering edifice?", and since the investment committee is almost never made up of developers but of money guys answerable to shareholders, enjoy your goto statements and pos-style no-go-areas.

Maneck posted:

It also doesn't make economic sense for CCP to invest millions to steal customers from themselves.

Excellent point. Thus why each of their investments has very sensibly - despite much :goonsay: - been in different genres.

Endie fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 22, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have opinions about eve online, thanks and god bless

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Eve tickles my autism just right but the cord mdchanics, individually, are garbage. It's only interesting because of our head canon filling in the gaps and because there is meaning to events and fleet fights beyond actual fu of locking a target and pressing f1.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I did eve and weed and forgot I logged in and rip my slave pod

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Did CCP ever make any money off dust?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's kind of frustrating that CCP has chosen to develop a bad MMO from the profits of Danger Game rather than maintain and provide updates to that game.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 22, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's kind of frustrating that CCP has chosen to develop a bad MMO from the profits of Danger Game rather than maintain and provide updates to that game.

:holymoley:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I really don't give a gently caress. The ability for me to shift a short deployments worth of ships in a non dickslammingly annoying way would be well worth it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Unfunny Poster posted:

I wouldn't have written that article if I thought of this

gently caress did I just out myself as sion's ghost writer

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

DisgracelandUSA posted:

No it wouldn't. The Bowhead only has 30% more ship maintenance bay capacity than a Chimera - which is already jump capable, and can carry your unpacked BS, scouts, and logi ships for you to fly.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I really don't give a gently caress. The ability for me to shift a short deployments worth of ships in a non dickslammingly annoying way would be well worth it.

You could just as easily buff carriers capacity. Carrier KMs get fatter, logistics gets mildly easier, and the carrier starts living up to its god drat name. But I would be more than satisfied if the Rorqual got a ship maintenance bay in the patch. Between that and the clone vat bay they could become the go-to suitcase caps.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rorquals have a sma??

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Rorqual has a restricted SMA, you can only put industrial ships in it.

The Orca, on the other hand, also has an SMA and it fits all shiptypes...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Baculus posted:

No it wouldn't. The Bowhead only has 30% more ship maintenance bay capacity than a Chimera - which is already jump capable, and can carry your unpacked BS, scouts, and logi ships for you to fly.

You could just as easily buff carriers capacity. Carrier KMs get fatter, logistics gets mildly easier, and the carrier starts living up to its god drat name. But I would be more than satisfied if the Rorqual got a ship maintenance bay in the patch. Between that and the clone vat bay they could become the go-to suitcase caps.

A theoretical jump bowhead would have the industrial jump fatigue reduction

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Baculus posted:

gwrtheyrn posted:

This, but also the bowhead wouldbe able to go into high security space which, you know, is a pretty big deal for high sec incursions.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

The Orca, on the other hand, also has an SMA and it fits all shiptypes...

I genuinely love the Orca - it's worth its weight in gold to an industrialist. In hi sec.

gwrtheyrn posted:

This would be awesome, but then it becomes a potential means for force projection. I guess you could argue that the clone vat bay having the indy jump bonus already could be a round-about means for force projection, and so far no one is using it like that - maybe it's a genuine non-issue.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Baculus posted:

I genuinely love the Orca - it's worth its weight in gold to an industrialist. In hi sec.

This would be awesome, but then it becomes a potential means for force projection. I guess you could argue that the clone vat bay having the indy jump bonus already could be a round-about means for force projection, and so far no one is using it like that - maybe it's a genuine non-issue.

Jump freighters do more for force projection than this theoretical ship. Bowheads can carry about 1/3 the ships a jf can carry and that's assuming they didn't nerf the sma for giving it a jump drive

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Baculus posted:

I'm gonna take all these subcap and project my ~force~ all over your face.

It honestly isn't a bad idea. It only sits poorly with me because highsec incursion runners. Once the incursion is done, lemme just hop in my jump capable bowhead, circumvent nearly all of highsec, jumping to lowsec 1j out of incursion and we're grinding sites that much faster.

The problem gankers have with JFs isn't that they move stuff safely or have too many HP. It's that they aren't viable targets because they can circumvent most if not all travel through highsec.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm gonna take all these subcap and project my ~force~ all over your face.

It honestly isn't a bad idea. It only sits poorly with me because highsec incursion runners. Once the incursion is done, lemme just hop in my jump capable bowhead, circumvent nearly all of highsec, jumping to lowsec 1j out of incursion and we're grinding sites that much faster.

The problem gankers have with JFs isn't that they move stuff safely or have too many HP. It's that they aren't viable targets because they can circumvent most if not all travel through highsec.

Just buy a super and be pmayhem

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

not sure I understand the question - you know you only lose one level of the skill, not the entire thing right? even if you lose lvl5 in whatever skill it drops that's a 3-4 day train, level 4s are 13-18h depending on attributes

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Endie posted:

The question for development teams is rarely "would it be easier to re-write key elements of the ageing codebase from scratch?" or "would it make us more efficient in the long run to pay off tecnical debt?" Those are questions tossed around by non-devs and by frustrated junior devs struggling to work through the archaeological layers of seven previous devs hacking fixes to a routine.

The question that gets asked is actually "is it more efficient for this year's revenue figures to spend the next few months rewriting swathes of the codebase or to invest the same money in adding yet more features atop this teetering edifice?", and since the investment committee is almost never made up of developers but of money guys answerable to shareholders, enjoy your goto statements and pos-style no-go-areas.

See: enterprise software, particularly in insurance.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

What about SAP? :suicide:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Hey guys here's our claims and litigation management software. Why does it look 30 years old?

Well because it's built on top of Lotus Notes. And also DOS.

No not IBM Notes.

Lotus Notes 8.

We asked the IT guys about integrating Ringtail and ATO, but they want to know why you don't just use Lotus Notes.

Did you know they added this cool feature where you can send a PDF to OCR?

Sometimes you lose the PDF forever though. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Every enterprise in existence has 5000+ unique snowflake apps, probably 30+% of which are decrepit pieces of poo poo that no one has updated or even looked at in the past 10 years, but if that app breaks BAD THINGS HAPPEN so they refresh the infrastructure underneath it until it's no longer feasible, then keep it together with baling wire and duct tape for another few years. It will eventually be someone else's problem, so why waste time and effort on replacing it, right?

Consulting firms make beaucoups bucks selling app rationalization services and tools to retire old poo poo like this, and they only ever get through the low hanging fruit before a new executive with a different idea rolls through and flips the effort on its head. But hey, we got rid of 10% of that old app catalog (they were really all just forms on a web page that generate an email to Bob in supply chain, but I'm not letting that get in the way of my bonus)!

Wibla posted:

What about SAP? :suicide:

ERP systems will be the absolute last app stacks to undergo any sort of modernization, because that poo poo literally runs the business. CIOs who want new jobs start ERP replacement projects.

• Locked thread