Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's what usually happens, but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bf4 still has the largest population on ps4.

DLC wasn't free until this year but it's been pretty cheap on ps4 and for a three year old game, it's got a sizable population. That's probably your basis.

It'll help if overwatch can get a flash sale or two this year to bring it to 30 bucks. The ps4 has a huge player base so I wouldn't be surprised if it stays around for a while.

Hell, battlefront is practically dead on pc but it's still managing okay on ps4.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 20, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean doesn't LoU still have an active PS4 player base? I mean Overwatch will die but it's scratching a different itch than the other major shooters and Blizzard are pretty much going to support it with free new content indefinitely so I don't think this is as likely to fade like a new CoD because there's not gonna be a new one next year, nor will it die like SW battlefront of The Division because it's actually good

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They actually balance the games separately at this point to make up for certain things being much stronger on console. They're slowly going to become 2 different games it seems like.

It's the most fun I've had with a PC multiplayer shooter since the launch window of TF2 though.

Literally 1 change.

and it didn't solve the "problem"

Don't want people to buy it thinking there is more effort put into the console version.

The autoaiming turrets do slightly less damage.

Everything else is the same, just updated at a slightly later date.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Okay so I tried Miku Future Tone and I want to get it but it's so expensive to buy a 10,000 yen JPN PSN card. Where's the cheapest place to get one? It costs $140 CAD on Play-Asia so I assume it's all downhill from there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Unfortunately the CAD to JPY exchange rate is really terrible right now, so $140CAD is only about $10CAD above what 10k yen is actually worth and in line with the "tax" all card sellers charge for the service. You're not really going to get it any cheaper unless you can get them at cost somehow. Man I miss the $1CAD=100 yen days.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is Battlefield 4 on PS4 worth it if I don't plan on buying any DLC? Alternatively, are there any DLC packs that are absolutely necessary?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would honestly say no, I found it really frustrating not having the DLC. The in game server browser filters are absolute rear end so I couldn't find a way to filter out DLC maps.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's not hard to filter out dlc maps. The problem is you need to know what the dlc map packs are called and you unselected maps that say (China rising) or (ls)

Plenty of people play the free maps and vanilla. It's worth it for a few bucks.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I bought Chronicles of Teddy and Hardline. Hardline still has at least 10,000 players at any given point on PS4, and i have a few of the map packs for free, so i figure i can still find a match. I was still playing titan fall on the 360 when there was just a 1000 players in the region i was playing in. Though it is a pain to sort through the maps in battlefield games, there should just be boxes to check for each map pack, rather then just every individual map.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got teddy too but haven't played it. is it good?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Yeah its good. The earlier descriptions of it being like Zelda 2 were spot on, some metroidvania tossed in too. Great retro graphics and sound. Worth buying if anyone else is on the fence, though you don't have alot of time to do it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Chronicles of Teddy isn't perfect and has some annoying sections but overall I really liked it and even bothered getting 100% of trophies. It just has a really great look and atmosphere and captures those types of games really well while smoothing out some edges.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Teddy was good but I burned out trying to do the optional hard dungeon and never finished it, it has some pretty rough edges too especially the boss fights and the music which is nice at first but starts to grate pretty quickly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got up to the first dungeon in the forest and got a good sense of the game but died to a dark nut type enemy. game is cool but idk if i'll stick with it once deus ex is out. the control feels off in a lot of ways especially around objects like vines which feel really bad to climb

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Why do they keep putting DMC4SE on sale but ignore DmC:DE? I realize DmC is terrible but I was at least going to pick it up if it ever went on token sale, but it never does :confused:

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Emalde posted:

Why do they keep putting DMC4SE on sale but ignore DmC:DE? I realize DmC is terrible but I was at least going to pick it up if it ever went on token sale, but it never does :confused:

you're odd

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been on sale on the UK store at least two or three times.
Alternatively Sony is doing you a favour by not putting it on sale

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Emalde posted:

It's been on a sale at least a few times, and besides it's a prime candidate for a PS+ game (the original was on the PS+ not long after the release), no reason to waste your money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ludwig van Halen posted:

So a couple of those Neptunia games are in the sale. I kinda want a chill JRPG I can breeze through, but it looks like the bad kind of anime, so I'm on the fence about it.

e: the battles look kind of neat, but the visual novel/cutscene parts look really embarrassing.

What you want to do is buy I Am Setsuna. It is very chill and breezy and has great music.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, at least Neptunia is funny if you like that sort of thing, Setuna is the JRPG equivalent of eating sugar-free, gluten-free cake.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Let's hope TDI's LP gives Setsuna some flavour.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, at least Neptunia is funny if you like that sort of thing, Setuna is the JRPG equivalent of eating sugar-free, gluten-free cake.

I like the Nep Nep games just fine and yeah Setsuna has some unfortunate blandness to it but I'm still really enjoying it. It's not like it's terrifically unusual to enjoy a JRPG that's generic as poo poo. :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How is Persona 3 Portable different from P3:Fes (the PS2 version)? I'm playing the latter emulated on the PS3 and I'd kind of much prefer to play it on the Vita.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stare-Out posted:

How is Persona 3 Portable different from P3:Fes (the PS2 version)? I'm playing the latter emulated on the PS3 and I'd kind of much prefer to play it on the Vita.

P3:Fes has The Answer and some improved mechanics from original P3.
P3P has a second protag you can play as and massively improved mechanics brought from P4. However, no Answer and only place you can run around is Tartarus. Everything else is menus.

Get P3P.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Takoluka posted:

P3P has a second protag you can play as and massively improved mechanics brought from P4. However, no Answer and only place you can run around is Tartarus. Everything else is menus.

Get P3P.

Not being able to run around was a major bummer to me, but all of the other benefits that P3P brings in make it the better version to play.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Most of the complaints I ever see are about the VN style or somehow removing the challenge by actually being able to tell your party members what to do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Emalde posted:

Buy a used copy. Its on disc

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dehry posted:

Most of the complaints I ever see are about the VN style or somehow removing the challenge by actually being able to tell your party members what to do.

You can turn that off, but I would rather not have Mitsuru use Mind Charge -> Marin Karin.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Get P3P.
P3:Fes is playable but honestly traveling around the city and the school gets kind of old because most "in-between" places are somewhat vacant and serve little purpose, so I think I might even prefer using menus to travel. The square menu from P4G is such a blessing, in retrospect. I don't actually know what The Answer is since I'm still on my first playthrough of the game. And being able to control your allies in combat would be nice most of the time, the AI tends to do some weird things. Guess I'll pick up P3P whenever, if ever, it's on sale because 30 euros is a tiny bit steep for it.

Takoluka posted:

You can turn that off, but I would rather not have Mitsuru use Mind Charge -> Marin Karin.

Seriously. Hi, I'm Junpei and my favorite move in combat is "Wait" for no apparent reason. :argh:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stare-Out posted:

I don't actually know what The Answer is since I'm still on my first playthrough of the game.

The Answer is a post-game slog that you will watch on YouTube to get the full ending for MC and Aigis.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Takoluka posted:

The Answer is a post-game slog that you will watch on YouTube to get the full ending for MC and Aigis.
Oh, alright. I appreciate the replies! Now to wait for a sale.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

p3p is really good

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Takoluka posted:

That's what I did. After playing P4: Golden, I went backwards through the Persona series and played P3P Female Protagonist Route along with just watching the story for The Answer on YouTube.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

And play as the female protagonist, because her SLs are much better.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

WARNING: female protagonist is not canon

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How much worse Junpei comes across if your playing the female protagonist. It's pretty great.

Oh, the other difference with P3P that I didn't see mentioned is it pretty much has no anime cutscenes.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
While we're talking about Persona, what would be the cheapest way to play Personas 3 and 4? Get a PSTV and play Portable and Golden through it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

GoneRampant posted:

While we're talking about Persona, what would be the cheapest way to play Personas 3 and 4? Get a PSTV and play Portable and Golden through it?

Those are pretty much the *best* ways to play the games, and they coincidentally end up being the cheapest from scratch through sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

When I looked at PSTV and how much extra gear I needed to buy for it just to use it, I realized a Vita+MemCard+games bundle was only slightly more expensive and didn't suffer from an extra limited library.

• Locked thread