Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a lot of problems with Prison Break's post-season 1 plotting is just because they never really expected to get more than one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Slime posted:

Yeah, just like...remember where he put them and pick them up later. Then again there was a lot of stuff in the escape plan and post-escape plan that it seemed like he could really easily remember if he just tried. Things like stashing some clothes and money isn't something he should require a reminder to find, damnit!

Especially the bit about his mom's name which was his endgame. Maybe the bullshit tumor or whatever they gave him in season 4 was effecting his brain sooner than we thought.

I'd also like to add "the entirety of season 4" to my list of irritating prison break stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

muscles like this? posted:

I think a lot of problems with Prison Break's post-season 1 plotting is just because they never really expected to get more than one season.

I think the same exact thing happened with Heroes and a bunch of other "Really good for that first season, but then what the gently caress?" shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest thing about Prison Break's plotting is that they didn't even expect to get a full first season, which is why halfway through the season they're breaking out of prison, only to stop and go back in. That was originally planned to be a season finale and them actually breaking out but then the show turned out to be popular so Fox gave them a back half and they delayed the actual escape. It's also why the first half of the season is them dealing with a heat wave and then all of a sudden it's snowing a couple of days later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think the same exact thing happened with Heroes and a bunch of other "Really good for that first season, but then what the gently caress?" shows.

Heroes planned for multiple seasons, but what they wanted to do was drop most of the cast for a new one each time.

Once the realized and/or were told you can't do that with a regular season network show things changed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Heroes was just poo poo.

I tried to watch the reboot just to laugh at it, but it was so pathetically inept I just couldn't finish it - and I watched every episode of Dexter.

You can say what you want about Dexter, but that show knew what it wanted and went for it. Sure, what it wanted was for him to become a lumberjack, but that's not important right now. Heroes never, at any point, knew what it wanted to be or where it wanted to go or how it wanted to get there.

But it did, at every point, do so in the stupidest way possible.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

At the end of Suicide Squad the characters are all having a big fight with the Enchantress and Killer Croc teams up with Deadshot to throw a bag of explosives into her giant blue sky laser. Deadshot shoots it (after drama happens) and the bag explodes causing the vortex thingy to collapse and stop destroying the earth. I have no idea why the characters in the film thought that would work. As the audience, I certainly have no idea why it got played up with slow motion and witch illusion drama. I guess it did stop the world from being blown up, which was nice, but really basically everything about the Enchantress' and her plan was the worst most Irrationally Irritating part of a movie that had some good elements buried under whatever they were going for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The showrunners for Dexter have stated that they didn't really want to end it there but Showtime forced their hand telling them that no matter what they weren't allowed to kill him off because they wanted to leave in the option to continue/spin off.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Good god, how could you watch every episode of Dexter...

Is this some sort of cry for help?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Sunk Cost Fallacy

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's irrationally irritating to me that it's been three years and I'm still filled with incoherent rage whenever anyone mentions the ending of Dexter.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dexter was good if you stopped watching after John Lithgow's season like I did.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

That's how I did it!

Can someone run down the ending for me? I've heard the lumberjack part, but how does he get there?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I specifically watched the first three seasons because I like John Lithgow, but it really wasn't worth it. As great an actor as he is, Deb is twice as much a bad actor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

And also didn't watch the 2 between season 1 and that one.

Leavemywife posted:

That's how I did it!

Can someone run down the ending for me? I've heard the lumberjack part, but how does he get there?

Debra gets shot by the season's bad guy and ends up brain dead, Dexter pulls the plug on her, dumps her body where he dumps all the people he killed for some reason (some really obvious symbolism I guess) and fakes his death by driving his boat into a hurricane.

During this Dexter had found out out his urge to kill is gone thanks to true love, which is what allowed him to be okay as a lumberjack.

The true love girlfriend was also a serial killer and they were going to flee the country together (because she was under investigation, not him. Dexter is perfect after all) but instead she ends up stuck with his dumb kid thinking Dexter is dead.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Aug 22, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

And also didn't watch the 2 between season 1 and that one.

Yeah, as much as the drop in quality was marked after S4, people are still remembering S2 and S3 with rose tinted glasses. The Doakes/Lila stuff was really bad. Jimmy Smits in S3 was almost interesting but the whole season squanders any good it might have had.

Dexter had 1 great season and 1 good season and the rest were exercises in frustration and stupidity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A few months ago the girlfriend watched through Dexter. I tried so hard to get her to stop after Lithgow but she refused. So I ended up seeing all of Dexter a second time and it was still awful

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I managed it by having the TVIV thread to laugh along with.

How anyone could manage it alone is truly beyond me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not only have I seen all of Dexter but I've seen seasons 1-5 twice and 1-4 three times.
I hate it. I hate it so much but there are days when I just need to turn my brain off due to stress and a lovely familiar show is good for that.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Mortanis posted:

The Doakes/Lila stuff was really bad. Jimmy Smits in S3 was almost interesting but the whole season squanders any good it might have had.

Dexter had 1 great season and 1 good season and the rest were exercises in frustration and stupidity.

Doake's was a great law enforcement to Dexter. Something the show never really had again after his death, there was that dodgy cop who brought in Robocop to investigate Dexter. But he gave up on that as soon as he started boning Dexter's sister and that was the end of that.
Doake's deserved a better death than he got, it wasn't very thematically satisfying to have Lila take the burden of choice of Dexter.

The show could have been something amazing in better writers hands. But they were just too attached to Dexter as some "superhero" that they gave him plot armour that kept him from ever being exposed. It really should have built up to an ending of him dead or in jail.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Leavemywife posted:

That's how I did it!

Can't forget this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyM_JjN7yw

The Duke has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Aug 22, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

Doake's was a great law enforcement to Dexter. Something the show never really had again after his death, there was that dodgy cop who brought in Robocop to investigate Dexter. But he gave up on that as soon as he started boning Dexter's sister and that was the end of that.
Doake's deserved a better death than he got, it wasn't very thematically satisfying to have Lila take the burden of choice of Dexter.

The show could have been something amazing in better writers hands. But they were just too attached to Dexter as some "superhero" that they gave him plot armour that kept him from ever being exposed. It really should have built up to an ending of him dead or in jail.

So much this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

At the end of Suicide Squad the characters are all having a big fight with the Enchantress and Killer Croc teams up with Deadshot to throw a bag of explosives into her giant blue sky laser. Deadshot shoots it (after drama happens) and the bag explodes causing the vortex thingy to collapse and stop destroying the earth. I have no idea why the characters in the film thought that would work. As the audience, I certainly have no idea why it got played up with slow motion and witch illusion drama. I guess it did stop the world from being blown up, which was nice, but really basically everything about the Enchantress' and her plan was the worst most Irrationally Irritating part of a movie that had some good elements buried under whatever they were going for.
There's a pretty good bit in one Atomic Robo comic where a newbie scientist who's only there for a job interview stops a parallel dimension vampire invasion by shoving a diamond into a laser, and it goes on like "hey, good job, how'd you get that idea?"
"Well, I just noticed the machine used a xenon laser and-"
"Yeah, no, we never had one of those."
"So... how did that work, then?"
"I dunno but I guess you're hired, now go figure it out."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wasn't there also the other cop that suddenly looked like an addict having lost so much weight in between seasons or something? He was skinny/fit to begin with, but then took it too far for some reason.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Taeke posted:

Wasn't there also the other cop that suddenly looked like an addict having lost so much weight in between seasons or something? He was skinny/fit to begin with, but then took it too far for some reason.

Yes that was Quinn of the keyboard scene posted above. The dodgy cop I mentioned who later brought Robocop into the series. He started out as a transfer from narcotics who was under investigation by a Chinese lady from internal affairs, but it turned out to be nothing as she was just a jilted lover or something.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
They should have just gone with following the original books like season 1 did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kizudarake posted:

They should have just gone with following the original books like season 1 did.

Apparently the books turn into him having a literal demon in him.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Len posted:

Apparently the books turn into him having a literal demon in him.

And then they just as suddenly drop it in the next book, which is great

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

kizudarake posted:

Didn't they also turn Doakes into a limbless sidekick?

I read the first two or three after season 1, and thinking thank God they had the sense to break away from those plots. But looking back it would still have probably been better than what they gave us.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kizudarake posted:

Jeff Lindsay has admitted that the whole idea was stupid and totally ignored it in the remaining novels. The only part of Dexter in the Dark that stayed in continuity was Dexter discovering that Astor and Cody are messed up the same way he is.

If anyone wants to know how the books end:

Rita is murdered and Dexter is arrested for the crime, which ironically he didn't commit. He's sprung on a technicality by a lawyer hired by his brother Brian (who isn't killed in the books), because Brian needs his help to get away from a drug lord that he's stolen money from. They manage to kill all the cartel rank and file in Miami, but the boss has captured Deborah, Cody and Astor and is holding them on his yacht. Brian and Dexter attempt a rescue, which succeeds, but Brian is killed aboard the boat and a critically wounded Dexter falls overboard and drowns.

It's still a bit contrived, but much better than the series.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the Wizard how did Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis know about all the warp whistles in Mario Brothers 3 but the autistic kid didn't ?

It would be cool if they made a modern day Wizard sequel where Jimmy is weirdo Chris Chan style shut in who spends all his time streaming SMB3 speed runs and writing erotic Mario fanfic in his parents basement.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the Wizard how did Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis know about all the warp whistles in Mario Brothers 3 but the autistic kid didn't ?

It would be cool if they made a modern day Wizard sequel where Jimmy is weirdo Chris Chan style shut in who spends all his time streaming SMB3 speed runs and writing erotic Mario fanfic in his parents basement.

No it wouldn't.

This wouldn't be cool at all.

Movie makers don't believe his post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That didn't even make sense to me when I was a kid.

That's when you realized although it was not the worst kid adventure movie it was also an ad. And the power glove is bad, real bad. Only a real rear end in a top hat would have one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The stupidest part about The Wizard is that big elaborate tournament is two loving rounds.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

syscall girl posted:

That didn't even make sense to me when I was a kid.

That's when you realized although it was not the worst kid adventure movie it was also an ad. And the power glove is bad, real bad. Only a real rear end in a top hat would have one.

haha i made the wonder years kid say "it's so bad" but kids are dumb they'll buy it now because it's the 80s and bad means good. We're solid, legally. No refunds!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The original powerglove prototype was actually really good and worked. The problem was that it cost like $7,000 to build.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Marenghi posted:

The dodgy cop I mentioned who later brought Robocop into the series.
I don't know what is and isn't a word filter anymore.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

ADAM SANDLER in

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

My Lovely Horse posted:

ADAM SANDLER in

No, that already came out last year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dexter had the same problem as Weeds and a lot of other Showtime series in that they never know how or when to end. They're like CBS in that they just allow their shows to become zombies. Which I guess is fine with a sitcom, rarely does anything of substance happen, but it's tiring and depressing while watching through a drama. And almost every season of Dexter was the same (New serial killer in Miami! Is Dexter jealous? Is he trying to serve justice? Is this new serial killer a better or worse person than Dexter? Kill 'em anyway) until Edward James Olmos shows up as a loving ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Now that was legitimately hilarious. Goons in the TVIV thread spotted by about his second appearance that he wasn't interacting with anyone other than the new serial killer and this is a show which spent half a dozen seasons with its own 'head' character with Dexter's dad, so it's not like people were unfamiliar with the idea.

But the show treated it like it was loving Shakespeare.

There were just so many moments which were so bad they were good. Like the time Dexter discovered what a window was.