Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DoctorG0nzo posted:

It actually hasn't been as devastatingly complex as I expected so far. Like, very very complex, but I read Ulysses earlier in the year and compared to that it's practically a standard narrative. I am also not finished yet, however, and I fully expect it to go tits-up soon

"More straigtforward than James Joyce"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

At this point the idea I have of Gravity's Rainbow has to be ten times what it actually is. I imagine something like a cross between Finnegan's Wake, but there are sections that are actually just a music score, shape poems of the daydreams one person has in the span of three nanoseconds that takes up 30 pages, and a chapter that's just an aircraft blueprint. Also, there are 500 characters with names like Glumpy and Dwight. R. Q. Catastrobomb.

Form is one of the only things it's pretty mundane in. It has songs pretty often but apart from that it's all just ludicrously good prose.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

DoctorG0nzo posted:

It actually hasn't been as devastatingly complex as I expected so far. Like, very very complex, but I read Ulysses earlier in the year and compared to that it's practically a standard narrative. I am also not finished yet, however, and I fully expect it to go tits-up soon

Has Slothrop dressed up as a colourful pig yet? I seem to remember that's the point the narrative just dissolves. I thought it was when he dressed up like a rocket to steal weed from the Potsdam Conference but I just looked it up and that's way earlier in the book than I remember it being.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Zesty Mordant posted:

At this point the idea I have of Gravity's Rainbow has to be ten times what it actually is. I imagine something like a cross between Finnegan's Wake, but there are sections that are actually just a music score, shape poems of the daydreams one person has in the span of three nanoseconds that takes up 30 pages, and a chapter that's just an aircraft blueprint. Also, there are 500 characters with names like Glumpy and Dwight. R. Q. Catastrobomb.

It is much easier than Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake. My fave Pynchon name is 'Rollo Groast'. Having such wacky names helps u remember who's who when there's 400 of them

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

"More straigtforward than James Joyce"

Haha I know it's not exactly a real metric but I figured it was relevant since I frequently heard Gravity's Rainbow directly and unambiguously compared to Ulysses

CestMoi posted:

Has Slothrop dressed up as a colourful pig yet? I seem to remember that's the point the narrative just dissolves. I thought it was when he dressed up like a rocket to steal weed from the Potsdam Conference but I just looked it up and that's way earlier in the book than I remember it being.

Yeah the pig thing hasn't happened yet, the Rocketman thing started about 100 pages ago, it was goofy but I went with the flow. I just got to the Bianca part and my grossed out reaction to it sparked a decent chunk of the last page of conversation

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Pig section is Part 4, I think

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Slothrop: I have a mission to find out the mysterious circumstances surrounding my life and nothing will distract or deter me
A hobo: hey I buried a pound of hash on the Russian side of the city can you go dig it up
Slothrop: ok

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Boil Bouillabaisse!

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

This thread has mostly convinced me that GR is literary bizarro fiction, so its high-quality prose can cover up for the fact that a bunch of ultra-juvenile nerds just want to read about weed rockets and poop sex.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bandiet posted:

This thread has mostly convinced me that GR is literary bizarro fiction, so its high-quality prose can cover up for the fact that a bunch of ultra-juvenile nerds just want to read about weed rockets and poop sex.

Ever read Canterbury Tales?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ever read Canterbury Tales?

Lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bandiet posted:

And banana breakfasts and pig costumes and everlasting light bulbs awful British candy and tarot and kicking dudes in the nuts while screaming

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Having never read any Pynchon other than lot 49 makes watching this conversation fascinating

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bandiet posted:

you in the 1500s: this rabelais guy is just bizarro literature, farts and piss aren't at all funny

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

A human heart posted:

you in the 1500s: this rabelais guy is just bizarro literature, farts and piss aren't at all funny

Got em!

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Pig section is Part 4, I think

It's near the end of part 3.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Heath posted:

Slothrop: I have a mission to find out the mysterious circumstances surrounding my life and nothing will distract or deter me
A hobo: hey I buried a pound of hash on the Russian side of the city can you go dig it up

Lame as it sounds I think these sections might've been less comprehensible to people until loving video games popularized the term "sidequest"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe humanity was familiar with the feeling that what they want to or ought to be doing is being sidelined by bullshit before that.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I believe humanity was familiar with the feeling that what they want to or ought to be doing is being sidelined by bullshit before that.

No, I don't think it existed until Return to Krondor II

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Having it narrowed down to one dumbass word does make it easier. Everyone knows that dumb fat nerds have a direct line to Pynchon’s thought process

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Having never read any Pynchon other than lot 49 makes watching this conversation fascinating

I think they're making some of this up

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

This is pretty much the summary of any Pynchon plot.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

End Of Worlds posted:

I think they're making some of this up

Buddy we haven't even gotten to the high flying pie fights, weird Hansel & Gretel BDSM sex compound interspersed with a story about making the dodos extinct, erectile fabrics, etc.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Alright, gently caress it. I'm gonna read Gravity's Rainbow.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bandiet posted:

let me tell you about James Joyce's love letters

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Popular Human posted:

Alright, gently caress it. I'm gonna read Gravity's Rainbow.

Just blow through Part 1.

Edit: Mel, isn't GR in your Big Book list you wanted to read? When are you doing tha?

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
"I only read Serious Literature," he sneered as he turned the page to the hot air balloon pie throwing chase scene

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

Just blow through Part 1.

Edit: Mel, isn't GR in your Big Book list you wanted to read? When are you doing tha?

I've been burned out the last few months. Just redecorated my apartment though and it's created a more comfortable atmosphere for reading at home

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Sooo so bad

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 24, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

let me tell you about James Joyce's love letters

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, she does look like she'd have some intense flatulence.

So smug; the flash let out and so did she.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

To be fair, she does look like she'd have some intense flatulence.

So smug; the flash let out and so did she.

You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I hosed them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to gently caress a farting woman when every gently caress drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

DoctorG0nzo posted:

You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I hosed them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to gently caress a farting woman when every gently caress drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

*Italian chef finger kiss*

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper I was inspired by your posting in that thread to come here and ask after books by muslim authors, which I will now do: what are some good and/or cool books by muslim authors?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

Mel Mudkiper I was inspired by your posting in that thread to come here and ask after books by muslim authors, which I will now do: what are some good and/or cool books by muslim authors?

Randa Jarrar's "A Map of Home" is really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peel posted:

I just finished My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk, and the center conflict is based around Muslims dealing with the slow integration of Western ideas during the late-16th century. Very informative, and also a fun and clever book.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna sound ignorant but is Lahiri Muslim?

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

A human heart posted:

See: A Confederacy of Dunces

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Speaking of Joyce, I've read up to 160 in Ulysses and I'm loving the prose and style but I'm having a hard time getting into anything that's happening in the story. Is there a hook further on or is it never going to grab me if it hasn't yet? I really liked Daedalus on the beach so if it gets really abstract again I might enjoy it more. I've liked Daedalus' scenes a lot more in general and it's been a long stretch of Bloom with the funeral and leaving the newspaper office so maybe once there's more D I'll enjoy it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the_homemaster posted:

See: A Confederacy of Dunces

Or don't.