Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Told you so. :colbert:

Went back and watched chunks of s1 and christ the drop for try is just precipitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I vividly remember watching the BF S1 BDs while Try was airing, getting to the hilarious budget fest that was Amazing Exia VS F91 Imagine, and realizing it was better than anything in Try.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Flay is hilarious, Athrun's one of the few seed characters who genuinely has a good arc and most of his fights are actually good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, that was certainly a thing that existed and I watched.

It was pretty cool that their idea for the OVA episode was to just rip off the final episode of BF season 1 except not remotely as good in any way. There was some fun stuff in there but man was it pretty boring.

Also :laffo: at Nils. "Well, this girl has magic remote plavsky particle powers that nearly destroyed my lab and killed everyone and I'm a plavsky particle researcher, but I'm not going to even look into that because we're only budgeted for 35 minutes of animation and we've got a fanservice epilogue to drop."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't have any issue with the final attack, given it was a shout out to the Superior Dragon from SD stuff.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I wish I had a spare keyboard so I could throw it out the window.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So if I'm understanding the previous comments correctly,
/\ this is basically the highlight of Island Wars. Right?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The ending was the only good part about this ova. Othes than that it expanded upon the worst parts of try. That power up was the dumbest pile of bullshit.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pretending the rest of the episode and its utter poo poo doesn't exist and only focusing on the somewhat decent ending, was there ever anything previously hinting that time on Arian moves like 2-3x as fast as Earth's? Because as cute as it was, that's the only way said ending makes any sense. It has only been 7(well, 8 if it's a year later) years since the previous series, and that girl was NOT 6ish; more like 10-12. And that's of course ignoring however long it would take Aila to hammer her feelings through Reiji's skull.

Hell, given Mr. Thief in the first series who started GBF with that stolen Arista, time seems like it should be roughly the same.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I like how Mirai is just going 'oh, huh, that's what she meant about going home' in the background.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

So if I'm understanding the previous comments correctly,

/\ this is basically the highlight of Island Wars. Right?

There's some other snippets of fun. The core "conflict" of the episode is pretty lovely but it's not 100% raw sewage, it's just very meh overall.

Lord Koth posted:

Pretending the rest of the episode and its utter poo poo doesn't exist and only focusing on the somewhat decent ending, was there ever anything previously hinting that time on Arian moves like 2-3x as fast as Earth's? Because as cute as it was, that's the only way said ending makes any sense. It has only been 7(well, 8 if it's a year later) years since the previous series, and that girl was NOT 6ish; more like 10-12. And that's of course ignoring however long it would take Aila to hammer her feelings through Reiji's skull.

Hell, given Mr. Thief in the first series who started GBF with that stolen Arista, time seems like it should be roughly the same.

She could definitely be 6ish. Everyone kept making (terribly unfunny) jokes about how the girl was waaaay too young for Sekai, who's like 14-15, and she literally had no concept of right or wrong and everyone was willing to give her a pass for what she did because she didn't know any better, which suggests "intended to be a really small child".

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Then the art direction is completely screwed up. Because she's standing directly next to Sekai at one point and she's not all that much shorter than him. He's not on the tall side, but he's not particularly short either. I'll admit I do agree on the personality though. Aila hardly seemed only 21 either in the end, though I suppose since she's no longer a teenager she's simply old now as far as the character designers are concerned.

I'm amused by how nonchalant Mirai is about the whole thing.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 22, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I liked the newtype Lalah-Amuro-Char triangle bit with the girls. Other than that though,

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Probably the nicest part of this OVA was the implicit confirmation that Reiji and Aila actually do just go world hopping and visit Sei and Iori all the time. That's pretty much the only way Aila's Command Gundam could be both in China's flat and Reiji's castle... Though it makes Sei's whole "I'll build one final gunpla for Reiji" thing completely nonsensical.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Maybe the kid paid a visit to China instead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Probably the nicest part of this OVA was the implicit confirmation that Reiji and Aila actually do just go world hopping and visit Sei and Iori all the time. That's pretty much the only way Aila's Command Gundam could be both in China's flat and Reiji's castle... Though it makes Sei's whole "I'll build one final gunpla for Reiji" thing completely nonsensical.

It might not have been a thing that was possible back then. The Build Burning was built a fairly long time ago, before Sei left the school, which is why it was hidden in the trophy in the club room.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

C3 is holding a BF Try event at 2:30 PM JST on 8/27. According to Ebikawa, one of the show's designers (he did Transient, Rinascita, Build mkII and a bunch of stuff from AGE and 00), details about what the Transient Glacier will be starring in will be announced.

So yes. There's going to be more Try.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe it stars in the manga?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

The ending was the only good part about this ova. Othes than that it expanded upon the worst parts of try. That power up was the dumbest pile of bullshit.

If they want to combine the gunpla combine the gunpla. Hell, the fan-made edits of putting all three together looked neat enough and reasonably doable. That energy charge thing only exists to neatly remove the two other gundams so Sekai can be super-uber powerful because :rolleyes::fh:.

That said, I didn't hate a lot of the OVA. The Kamiki Burning Gundam is a lot more entertaining to watch than its predecessors, just because it had attacks it could pull without Sekai screaming the same goddamn three words for the umpteenth time.

That said, Mirai still proved the more interesting martial artist pilot to watch, when she two-hit a Psycho Gundam with a Beargguy instead of just Boring Fire Punch Number 1, 2, or 3.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure this OVA is just definite proof that someone important on Try's staff really, really, really liked SD Gundam.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I like how Fumina and Yuuma each core one of the Psyco Gundams in the middle with one shot, but Sekai STILL has to get the final blast on each and core them even BETTER.

Honestly though, for as relentlessly dumb as it was, I think it was great. Yeah, it was stupid as poo poo, not nearly as good as Build Fighters proper, and had all the plot of a terrible shonen arc jammed into one OVA. That's why I loved it though, it was terrible, and thus it entertained me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

I like how Fumina and Yuuma each core one of the Psyco Gundams in the middle with one shot, but Sekai STILL has to get the final blast on each and core them even BETTER.

Honestly though, for as relentlessly dumb as it was, I think it was great. Yeah, it was stupid as poo poo, not nearly as good as Build Fighters proper, and had all the plot of a terrible shonen arc jammed into one OVA. That's why I loved it though, it was terrible, and thus it entertained me.

I didnt actually mind the stupid shonen stuff in the first half of the OVA, as it mostly came off like the writers trying to have some self-aware dumb fun rather than taking it seriously like it came off in BF-T. I swear Sekai almost even had a glimmer of a personality for a fleeting moment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Then the art direction is completely screwed up. Because she's standing directly next to Sekai at one point and she's not all that much shorter than him.

She could... be tall??? You know, what with only being half-human and all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been watching those SD Gundam shorts and they're hilarious. It's like if toriyama injected some of his nonsense humor from early DragonBall into Gundam. I especially liked the one where amuro, kamille and judau tried to rescue the princess but she turned out to be a man so they all got drunk and made Char their house cleaner instead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

So yes. There's going to be more Try.

Build Fighters Another Try
Build Fighters Try Again
Build Fighters One More Try
Build Fighters Last Try
Franz Kafka's BF The Try
These are the Build Fighters That Try Men's Souls
Build Fighters Try It You'll Like It This Time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think it's amazing how much effort they're going to to still actively avoid the World Tournament and beat up the importance of the Nationals. Nobody cares about the Nationals when we've already seen how much more fun the World Tournament is :ssh:.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh but in the world tournament they'd have to write something other than stock characters, can't be having that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's amazing how much effort they're going to to still actively avoid the World Tournament and beat up the importance of the Nationals. Nobody cares about the Nationals when we've already seen how much more fun the World Tournament is :ssh:.

The actual tournament they're fighting in is functionally meaningless relative to the fight choreography and if they can make the audience give a poo poo about the characters. If Build Fighters Try had been all about the World Tournament it would have still been disappointing, and it's totally possible to have a really great show in the same format as Build Fighters even if it's only about regionals or nationals.

The primary misgiving about a continuation of Try that I have isn't the specific tournament that they're talking about, it's that if we're going to continue with Try's cast we're basically married to the 3v3 format, which I feel fundamentally does not work well. It's really hard to give sufficient focus to every participant in such large battles without extending the fight length substantially. Repeatedly in Try you'd see situations where they tried to very quickly reduce each team to one effective combatant almost immediately or come up with extraneous reasons why one team only had one functional combatant(combination sequences such as the triplets' and the Tryon 3, the Full Cloth being team ringer, etc) to make the choreography easier. The only two fights where they felt comfortable with team choreography were the Megashiki fight and the final fight against team Kijima, and those were the midseason climax and the season finale.

Basically, they need to pare down the amount of combatants. The team format is cool and opens up some interesting new ideas that could be used, but I feel like 3v3 is too much from both a battle choreography perspective and a too many loving characters to try to give screentime to between battles perspective. Pare it down to 2v2; Fumina and Sekai as the team, Yuu as their mechanic/support filling the role that Sei did for Reiji.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think I spotted a Nether Gundam in the big clusterfuck fight so it was an alright show by default.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think even 2v2 doesn't work for what Try wants to do which is very personal battles rather than group fights. It's always be 1 person, 2 hangers-on, even for team Try who ended up swapping around whoever the hangers-on were by episode. The sole exception being the final fight which was sort of the bare minimum necessary to fill out.

And that's not a bad thing. BF classic lived and died on having strong individual fights. It just feels like what they were more comfortable with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

The actual tournament they're fighting in is functionally meaningless relative to the fight choreography and if they can make the audience give a poo poo about the characters. If Build Fighters Try had been all about the World Tournament it would have still been disappointing, and it's totally possible to have a really great show in the same format as Build Fighters even if it's only about regionals or nationals.

The primary misgiving about a continuation of Try that I have isn't the specific tournament that they're talking about, it's that if we're going to continue with Try's cast we're basically married to the 3v3 format, which I feel fundamentally does not work well. It's really hard to give sufficient focus to every participant in such large battles without extending the fight length substantially. Repeatedly in Try you'd see situations where they tried to very quickly reduce each team to one effective combatant almost immediately or come up with extraneous reasons why one team only had one functional combatant(combination sequences such as the triplets' and the Tryon 3, the Full Cloth being team ringer, etc) to make the choreography easier. The only two fights where they felt comfortable with team choreography were the Megashiki fight and the final fight against team Kijima, and those were the midseason climax and the season finale.

Basically, they need to pare down the amount of combatants. The team format is cool and opens up some interesting new ideas that could be used, but I feel like 3v3 is too much from both a battle choreography perspective and a too many loving characters to try to give screentime to between battles perspective. Pare it down to 2v2; Fumina and Sekai as the team, Yuu as their mechanic/support filling the role that Sei did for Reiji.

3v3 has indeed been an absolute trainwreck of an idea for any semblance of fight choreography or pacing. Though that said;

Kanos posted:

Pare it down to 2v2; Fumina and Sekai as the team, Yuu as their mechanic/support filling the role that Sei did for Reiji.

They pretty much do this anyway, considering how little effort goes into upgrading or using the Lightning Gundam's various iterations in most fights :v:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
G-Reco was airing at the same time as Try, and demonstrated Tomino's continued mastery of group battles.

Bring him in, and you'd probably get a couple of good battles before he sabotages the entire show out of spite.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

G-Reco was airing at the same time as Try, and demonstrated Tomino's continued mastery of group battles.

Bring him in, and you'd probably get a couple of good battles before he sabotages the entire show out of spite.

The first, and only, episode is just Tomino in front of a camera with a blowtorch, a look of disgust, and one each of the show's entire line of gunpla....

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Tomino running around with a tank of acetone, trying to disrupt every match. That's a show I'd watch.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Hang on, Ramba Ral wasn't in this!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Hang on, Ramba Ral wasn't in this!
Oh wow, I didn't even realize he wasn't there.

That's some bullshit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Has his original voice actor even been in anything since he was temporarily replaced due to falling ill?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I hope Ramba Ral gets replaced by Mashymre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Replace Ramba Ral with Andrew Waltfeld.