Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pureauthor posted:

Can someone tell me about what I should expect if I start reading Gwenpool?

Fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

A good comic.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

A fun story with great art.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pureauthor posted:

"What if a perfectly ordinary, well-adjusted teenage girl from the real world who happened to be a huge comics fan stumbled into the 616 and decided to be a superhero."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

"What if a perfectly ordinary, well-adjusted teenage girl from the real world who happened to be a huge comics fan stumbled into the 616 and decided to be a superhero."

I don't think Gwen is well-adjusted. There is definitely something up with her past and her parents.

She's not insane, but I think she went through some bad poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gwen-Pool is an ok fun book. It doesn't try to be anything more than that and I appreciate it for what it is.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Pureauthor posted:

A book with great art, with a good mix of comedic and tragic moments. It's overall a light, fun book, and I wouldn't say it ever goes dark, but if you ever read Squirrel Girl and didnt like that it was basically goofy fun all the time, Gwenpool balances that with less fun scenes well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

but if you ever read Squirrel Girl and didnt like that it was basically goofy fun all the time
Squirrel Girl is an emotional roller-coaster, I'll have you know. When Whiplash destroyed her collectible Deadpool's Guide to Super-Villiains Galactus trading card? Flames? Flames...on the side of my face....

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
WIRED article about Riri Williams
TLDR:
-Her name is "Ironheart" because Iron Woman sounded awful and Iron Maiden looked like "a legal nightmare".
-Confirmed: her AI is based on Tony Stark. Consider me completely on board.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

WIRED article about Riri Williams
TLDR:
-Her name is "Ironheart" because Iron Woman sounded awful and Iron Maiden looked like "a legal nightmare".
-Confirmed: her AI is based on Tony Stark. Consider me completely on board.

READ: "We're killing Tony off in CW2".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I get that there was literally no good solution for RiRi's codename and I'm super on board for the main IM book starring her in the suit, but god alive is Ironheart a bad loving superhero codename. I kinda wish they just kept it Iron Man over that, and just went with "Keeping the legacy alive" as the justification.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

does not compute

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gaz-L posted:

READ: "We're killing Tony off in CW2".

If I was putting money in it I'd bet against you. First because Tony is probably their biggest character (which has never stopped them before, ie Wolverine, but) and second because they already killed off Rhodey and Banner. I'm betting Tony "retires" from heroics and decides to focus on helping rebuild collapsed nations or something because he sees all the damage he and his fellow heroes have done.

I had assumed they were going to keep her identity a secret to the fictional public and have her continue to go by Iron Man, since the new armor does us a fantastic solid and doesn't give her high heels or armor-tits. Hell, they could have Tony go completely new-identity like he already just did in his own comic, and she could have the AI speak whenever she needs to, and keep up the illusion of Tony still being around as Iron Man.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think Gwen is well-adjusted. There is definitely something up with her past and her parents.

She's not insane, but I think she went through some bad poo poo.

I actually get that sense too, but considering textually she sadly cuts herself off from her parents and it's presented as a sacrifice over "Hell yeah I get to stay away from my lovely loving parents and be a SUPERHERO" says to me we're supposed to interpret her relationship with her parents as positive and healthy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Has there been any news on a TPB for Gwenpool? It's about 5 issues in so far, which based on the Squirrel Girl TPBs, seems about the right amount for one, and I figure if one's not too far away, I could just wait for that and save some money.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Has there been any news on a TPB for Gwenpool? It's about 5 issues in so far, which based on the Squirrel Girl TPBs, seems about the right amount for one, and I figure if one's not too far away, I could just wait for that and save some money.

Yup

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cool. Dunno if I wanna wait a whole three months, though...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waffleman_ posted:

Cool. Dunno if I wanna wait a whole three months, though...

You can get every issue for cover price.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I suppose Iron Maiden would've required negotiating payment of the band every time it was used, with TV and movie appearances a whole other set of negotiations. It's a shame, I like that name.

Riri, on the other hand... well, it's a bit too close to rere for me. I don't smirk when I read it anymore, so that's progress I guess. :downs:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Wouldn't keeping the name Iron Man not only "keep the memory/brand alive" but also be, like, the perfect alter-ego thing for a young girl?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rhyno posted:

You can get every issue for cover price.

Yeah, I basically wanted to weigh the options of getting the issues at cover price or waiting for the TPB. If the TPB isn't out til November, I think I'll just pick up the first couple issues on Comixology when I get this month's Squirrel Girl in a few days.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

When did TPBs go from 6 issues × 32 pages to 5 issues × 27-28 pages? I think the MSRP rose a few bucks at the same time. Any one of those things could be attributed to inflation, but all three together is poop.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

I suppose Iron Maiden would've required negotiating payment of the band every time it was used, with TV and movie appearances a whole other set of negotiations. It's a shame, I like that name.

Riri, on the other hand... well, it's a bit too close to rere for me. I don't smirk when I read it anymore, so that's progress I guess. :downs:

And Iron Lady was right there as an option.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

If I was putting money in it I'd bet against you. First because Tony is probably their biggest character (which has never stopped them before, ie Wolverine, but) and second because they already killed off Rhodey and Banner. I'm betting Tony "retires" from heroics and decides to focus on helping rebuild collapsed nations or something because he sees all the damage he and his fellow heroes have done.

I had assumed they were going to keep her identity a secret to the fictional public and have her continue to go by Iron Man, since the new armor does us a fantastic solid and doesn't give her high heels or armor-tits. Hell, they could have Tony go completely new-identity like he already just did in his own comic, and she could have the AI speak whenever she needs to, and keep up the illusion of Tony still being around as Iron Man.

A black woman pretending to be a white man to achieve legitimacy.. that could go poorly for Marvel.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the "new Iron Man name" is a problem without a satisfactory solution. I get why they couldn't keep "Iron Man", like, empirically, but between that, Iron Maiden (which feels like a joke more fitting to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure over an Iron Man character name), Iron Woman sounding awkward and dumb, Iron Girl sounding even worse and very diminutive, Ironheart being a terrible as all hell superhero name, and Iron Lady having that awful Thatcher association at least keeping Iron Man alive looks progressive if viewed from the lens that it's maintaining legacy and passing that down to a POC woman.

Maybe they should've just gone with "Iron".

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

A.o.D. posted:

A black woman pretending to be a white man to achieve legitimacy.. that could go poorly for Marvel.

gently caress, and that's one of the many reasons I'll never be a comics writer. Never thought about it that way- the internet media would have a field day!

I was trying to see if Iron Maiden could even fight legally against that name being used, on account of it's a drat torture device and it's not like there haven't been eight different bands using the name Pentagram, for example, but it turns out they did sue a comic publisher back in 09 for the title "The Iron and the Maiden" which seems way less of a case anyway. Damned if I can find a single thing about the outcome of the suit, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

From what I understand, Iron Maiden is a very litigious band, and it's less the worry of whether or not they'd win a lawsuit (Marvel certainly would, because as you aforementioned it's a torture device hundreds of years old and in any case you'd be hard loving pressed to prove that a fifteen-year-old black girl in a metal suit is any way a derivative of a 1970s English heavy metal band) but that the threat of a lawsuit is enough to stop Marvel in its tracks. Paying for legal defense is so costly up-front that most entities worth suing (i.e. corporations) avoid the issue entirely. It's just not worth it, even when you'd almost certainly win, to have to pay for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Diet Poison posted:

gently caress, and that's one of the many reasons I'll never be a comics writer. Never thought about it that way- the internet media would have a field day!

I was trying to see if Iron Maiden could even fight legally against that name being used, on account of it's a drat torture device and it's not like there haven't been eight different bands using the name Pentagram, for example, but it turns out they did sue a comic publisher back in 09 for the title "The Iron and the Maiden" which seems way less of a case anyway. Damned if I can find a single thing about the outcome of the suit, though.

The settled quietly and re-titled the book Iron Saint when they released the trade.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Iron Person

Iron Lass

Ferrous Maiden

FeMale

Iron Riri

Iron

Iron Undergrad

Iron Individual

Irondividual (?)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ironheart is fine as a super hero name and I kinda don't get why people think it's at all terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Copper Woman

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Iron Person

Iron Lass

Ferrous Maiden

FeMale

Iron Riri

Iron

Iron Undergrad

Iron Individual

Irondividual (?)

Lord Biron

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
They could have called her Iron Woman. It doesn't come off any worse than Wonder Woman does and is literally the correct way for her to take the mantle of Iron Man. Naming her anything else just fuels the fire that she's not actually taking the place of Iron Man and is another character promoted to the main book that will get dethroned once Marvel loses interest or a writer comes along who wants to reset continuity to how it was when he started read.

I kind of agree that they could have had her in the suit with people still calling her Iron Man but that does kind of defeat the point, of having her be a role model, if she also has a secret identity that hides the qualities you're trying to promote.

I guess there's been a few Spider-Women and it didn't really make them a replacement for Spider-Man, nor are they as big and popular, though I can't recall any of them usurping Spider-Man's book and being the main character.

So ultimately it doesn't really matter what you call her, if they actually stick to their guns and replace Iron Man with her. They haven't given up on Thor, you could kind of argue they gave up on Captain America to some extent, Hulk is too early to tell, so I guess we'll have to wait 5 years to really see.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 22, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They really haven't given up on Captain America. I mean, Spencer's writing both books and the arc for Sam Wilson is how everyone wants him to give back the shield, to the point where USAgent tracked him down and is gonna beat the poo poo out of him for it. The whole point of the Sam Wilson book is that he's really actually Captain America because they keep on threatening to take the title away from him.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Yeah, I think they should've just used Iron Woman. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I also like Ironheart (maybe I just like bad names, I don't know), but I agree that the name change makes it feel less like passing the torch and more like, I don't know, Thunderstrike or something. Like Tony's going to be back in a year, and Ironheart will be Iron Man's sidekick for another couple years, and then she'll die or everybody will just forget about her. Which is probably going to happen regardless of the name, but...

Anyway, they should've just called her She-Iron Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magic Space Metal Alloy Woman

Ms. Ma Woman

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Toxxupation posted:

They really haven't given up on Captain America. I mean, Spencer's writing both books and the arc for Sam Wilson is how everyone wants him to give back the shield, to the point where USAgent tracked him down and is gonna beat the poo poo out of him for it. The whole point of the Sam Wilson book is that he's really actually Captain America because they keep on threatening to take the title away from him.

I think there's an arguement that deaging Steve and giving him back a Shield and going "There can be TWO Captain Americas!" undercuts his legitimacy quite a bit. Yeah you can argue he's still on the more premiere Avenger team and what not, but giving Steve the same gimmick is always going to put Sam as the #2 guy. It would have been better if Steve had gone back to being Steve Rogers: Super Soldier, and gotten his best costume and sweet energy shield back.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Magic Space Metal Alloy Woman

Ms. Ma Woman

Fe-Male

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 22, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe her suit has an overheating problem, and she could be called Warm Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Are there robo-breasts on the suit? Because if not, how the hell does anyone even now the gender of the person inside?

• Locked thread