Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Milky Moor posted:

so apparently andromeda isn't going to be at gamescom in any fashion whatsoever?

is there ever going to be any really good news about this game?

"Now coming to iOS and Android!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I think I just saw a Mass Effect reference in a major geopolitical story. Some group is claiming to have obtained NSA malware and is auctioning it off. They are calling themselves The Shadow Brokers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/08/15/nsa-hacked-shadow-brokers-equation-group-leak/#73f17f2b77f9

The Shadow Brokers posted:

We follow Equation Group traffic. We find Equation Group source range. We hack Equation Group. We find many many Equation Group cyber weapons, We give you some Equation Group files free, you see. This is good proof no? You enjoy!!! You break many things. You find many intrusions. You write many words. But not all, we are auction the best files

People think they are Russians but I suspect they are actually Vorcha.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

rocket_350 posted:

I think I just saw a Mass Effect reference in a major geopolitical story. Some group is claiming to have obtained NSA malware and is auctioning it off. They are calling themselves The Shadow Brokers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/08/15/nsa-hacked-shadow-brokers-equation-group-leak/#73f17f2b77f9

People think they are Russians but I suspect they are actually Vorcha.

Vorcha not smart enough to create computer plague. Requires long-term planning and teamwork uncharacteristic of their kind. Technology could only have come from Collectors. :mordin:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is TIM Trump or Putin in all this?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trump is miranda's dad.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And there's TIM pulling the strings! It all fits! :buddy:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Beefstew posted:

Vorcha not smart enough to create computer plague. Requires long-term planning and teamwork uncharacteristic of their kind. Technology could only have come from Collectors. :mordin:

I don't know, if ME3MP has taught me anything, it's that a group of Vorcha who do decide to plan and use teamwork can really knock it out of the park!

Lotish posted:

Trump is miranda's dad.

Eh, Ivanka isn't potato face enough.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 16, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We're gonna build a wall around Tuchanka, and they're gonna pay for it! It's gonna be yuge for yoomanity!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lotish posted:

Trump is miranda's dad.

He is totally creepy towards Ivanka. It checks out.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Well there is a real Cerberus, and it's run by Dan Quayle. Sometimes their evil plots backfire too, like when they bought Chrysler.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where's Jade Empire 2.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is the nu mass effect out yet?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

is the nu mass effect out yet?

Bioware's saying March next year, but given how they've been dead silent for most of the game development and we haven't seen a shread of gameplay yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a delay.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

GoneRampant posted:

Bioware's saying March next year, but given how they've been dead silent for most of the game development and we haven't seen a shread of gameplay yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a delay.

There's game play footage in the last two trailers.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

GoneRampant posted:

The reason for it is EA wanting to put the spotlight on the christmas games first. Make of that what you will.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
There were these:

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/766492167988649985
https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/766815521224306688

I hope they can come up with some reason to get hyped.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I remember ME3 came out in March.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope the new mass effect is good

I also hope the rumour of a mass effect 1 remake is true and good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want Andromeda to be good, but most projects with repeated delays and mass staff departures usually don't end up too great!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
We're supposed to get the first of the Andromeda novel tie ins this month but since their announcement back in June there hasn't been any other updates to it as far as I've been able to tell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Do we know who's writing it, and if we're going to get a gigantic reddit blowup when the novel gets literally everything wrong?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Do we know who's writing it, and if we're going to get a gigantic reddit blowup when the novel gets literally everything wrong?

It's being written by N.K. Jemisin, who is a fan of the series, and actually won the Hugo Award for best novel this past Saturday.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Transmogrifier posted:

It's being written by N.K. Jemisin, who is a fan of the series, and actually won the Hugo Award for best novel this past Saturday.

so in other words, massively overqualified to write a video game tie-in novel

hey did they ever release a corrected version of that one ME novel which had like ten errors per page?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

so in other words, massively overqualified to write a video game tie-in novel

hey did they ever release a corrected version of that one ME novel which had like ten errors per page?

As far as the wiki is aware the last update from Bioware was them contacting the Publisher about updates in late 2012.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kurieg posted:

As far as the wiki is aware the last update from Bioware was them contacting the Publisher about updates in late 2012.

man 2012 was not a great year for the Mass Effect #brand

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pattonesque posted:

My brand :smith:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pattonesque posted:

mass effect 3 (and the extended cut)
paragon lost
mass effect: deception

checks out

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 23, 2016

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

exquisite tea posted:

I want Andromeda to be good, but most projects with repeated delays and mass staff departures usually don't end up too great!

*looks at Blizzard products*

story checks out.

e. wait mass staff departures? I guess I haven't been paying attention to bioware lately. what the hell happened?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pander posted:

*looks at Blizzard products*

story checks out.

e. wait mass staff departures? I guess I haven't been paying attention to bioware lately. what the hell happened?

It's not "mass" as in "a large number of employees" but more of a not insignificant amount of team leaders and directors.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Well, the discovery of element zero means that these departures are more massive than you'd think

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

When we apply electricity to our employees they generate a field that raises the monetization of games made within it :shepface:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

exquisite tea posted:

This is what happened to Witcher 3, if I recall. Many of the senior devs left and the game got pushed back like, a year.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Beefstew posted:

This is what happened to Witcher 3, if I recall. Many of the senior devs left and the game got pushed back like, a year.

I think it was discussed already earlier on in the thread or in the DAI one but the number really isn't as catastrophic as people are making it to be. I looked at a few articles and they all seem to suggest the number is four. The issue is that a few of those people were really big names on the team (and series), so a lot of people are understandably nervous. I believe at least one of them said their work on MEA was actually done so it was time to move on and another may have been more of a project manager type deal, not really someone directly involved in the development.

E: This is just me piecing what I can remember reading and some lazy googling on the subject.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 23, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Casey Hudson (former executive producer of the Mass Effect series) left August 2014 to work on Hololens at Microsoft.
Chris Wynn (Andromeda senior development director) left in December, apparently moving to H1Z1 as executive producer.
Cameron Harris (Andromedia senior editor) left the game industry entirely in April.
Chris Schlerf (Andromeda lead writer) jumped ship to Destiny in February.

So, like, all of those could be reasonable career changes, but three of them showing up this winter, just as the game was presumably entering the last phases of development, makes people nervous.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Mass Effect Andromeda is NX exclusive and is the flagship launch title alongside Zelda so they really can't show anything until the NX reveal. Why else would they both be March releases but dead silent this close to release? #followthemoney

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

executive producer on h1z1 :lol:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is NX exclusive and is the flagship launch title alongside Zelda so they really can't show anything until the NX reveal. Why else would they both be March releases but dead silent this close to release? #followthemoney

I was about to seriously respond to this post for a second. That's what 2016 has done to me.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Well, an editor, writer and director leaving when they should be in bug fix and polish mode might not be too dire.

Or maybe the wanted their names off of it for a reason. :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's most concerning about these departures is that this game was apparently not up to the quality standards for the head writer of Halo 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Well, the discovery of element zero means that these departures are more massive than you'd think

*nods at this post*

• Locked thread