Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

SneakyFrog posted:

you forgot the part about the science experiment in the chemistry classroom that transformed your goony rear end into the slick suave sex machine presented here yo. I wanted to hear that part of the story because :science:

He drank a bottle of Brut aftershave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If someone is a good friend to you be immediately suspicious because your entire assessment of the human race was defined by the twist ending in Tokyo Babylon

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anyone remember Ladder Theory?

http://www.laddertheory.com/

Lot of self-embarrassment/shame here because I used to unironically believe in this poo poo and hate myself for being reminded of that :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sure but if your good platonic friend drops stupid amounts of money on you, and they aint like baller rich, Id say you might want to ask yourself "why" just a bit.

naem
May 29, 2011

Why do these guys act like having girl friends is bad I don't understand

"Women like and trust me and want to hang out oh no"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno some of my best friends are girls. When I'm single they direct other single girls to me it's pretty great.

In fact there's your 'lifehack' nerds. No need to start talking to total strangers (which def can be hard) or worry that you're not having much luck, just have your girl friends help you out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SneakyFrog posted:

sure but if your good platonic friend drops stupid amounts of money on you, and they aint like baller rich, Id say you might want to ask yourself "why" just a bit.

Yeah but people's thresholds for this are so low now. Like if a guy gives another guy a nice clipboard suddenly he's Mr Homo Clipboard who wants gay times from the recipient. Just nuts.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

Yeah but people's thresholds for this are so low now. Like if a guy gives another guy a nice clipboard suddenly he's Mr Homo Clipboard who wants gay times from the recipient. Just nuts.

I dunno about the ladies. But I dont think I have ever gotten a gift from one of my guy friends when it wasnt like a birthday or something and the ONE time i did it was a dude who it was pretty glaringly obvious he had the hots for my ex-wife but was completely socially inept in soo many ways.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pick posted:

uh is this "here's the clipboard you wanted from the supply closet" or "i made a trip to buy you this special clipboard from meee" cuz if its the latter what the gently caress dude dont give me a clipboard you gay. YOU GAY.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I think most of these guys aren't actually in a position where friendship with a woman is a real option, rather the woman says "let's just be friends" or drops the word friend repeatedly in the hopes of the guy taking the hint and leaving her alone without needing a more severe rejection. But the popularity of depictions of unrequited love in media and especially music suggests that the experience of being romantically attracted to someone who only sees you as a friend is relatable to a significant amount of people of both genders. Using the term friendzone to refer to this is heavily stigmatised for the sa reading demographic of nerds who are hyperaware of the habits of even worse nerds, but it is fairly popular slang amongst teenagers, to the point of being used unironically in multiple charting rap songs. But somehow even 'notice me sempai' has gained mainstream footing, so memes might be loving with the youth of today in a way that somehow allows the slang of older basement dwellers to gain traction amongst normal teenagers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

Why do these guys act like having girl friends is bad I don't understand

"Women like and trust me and want to hang out oh no"

They don't think women are people

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

So these dudes who believe in ladder theory must necessarily want to gently caress every single one of their female acquaintances? Like there isn't a single woman they know that they wouldn't bang? Sounds like low standards to me.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I don't understand what the woman's friends ladder is depicting. In any case, I do not care for this theory of ladder fuckability. I would not gently caress a ladder. When I was a teenager a ladder I was climbing collapsed on me and trapped my hand in the hinge, removing my nail and almost my finger. I do not like to imagine what would have happened if I was a more adventurous man, as willing to experiment with ladder-based sexuality as these men appear to be.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Finally reached the end of this ridiculous trainwreck thread. Some of the posters in here are as bad as the dipshits in the stories that are getting posted.

So I have this friend who's a Reddit addict and has some major problems with both women and alcohol. These problems tend to feed off each other and since he's been single for about 90% of the time I've known him the simmering cauldron of rage he has toward women tends to boil over after about 4 beers.

When my friend was in one of his non-single phases I invited him and the girl he was seeing to stay at a mountain house owned by some family members as part of a group of about a dozen people that would be hiking and drinking and generally having a good time. The girl broke it off two days before the trip and even though I was a bit worried they both assured me it was totally amicable and everything would be fine. Nothing was fine. As soon as he showed up he started texting her every five minutes asking when she'd be there. When she showed up about an hour later and he found out that she had given another (male) friend a ride he turned five shades of purple and went for a walk in the woods. Me and a couple other people gave him a pep talk when he got back and he managed to keep things together pretty well the first night.

On day two everyone who wasn't hung over went out hiking. Lady-ex's car with her and the guy she gave a ride to the day before got separated on the way up to the trailhead and there wasn't any cell coverage on that part of the mountain. The main group which included slowly-going-crazy friend waited for a while and decided to go up without them. All the time the subject of the story was unraveling more and more. He insisted we look for them at another lot and that we drive back to a coverage zone to see if she had texted. We blew him off and started the hike. He took up the rear, stopping and looking behind every 30 seconds or so and running to catch up. At one point when I was close I could hear him muttering about how they were probably loving somewhere. We had a fun hike despite him. When we got back to the house the missing two were there. They had parked at a different lot and had taken another route up. We had probably only missed them by 10 minutes. Friend-o was still convinced that the two of them had just gone off and hosed in the woods or something and after a silent dinner sat in a dark corner of the house sipping booze and staring at her until she went to bed.

After she went off to bed he started drinking faster and faster. Eventually he comes into the kitchen and rants about how she's the worst woman in the world and about how she and another ex-girlfriend were bitches trying to ruin his life. Eventually he can't stand it anymore and he tells everyone loudly that he's going home. At this point he's falling-down drunk and in no shape to drive. I follow him into the garage where his car was parked and try to talk with him. He talks about how much he loves the girl and how his life is over without her (they had been dating for 8 days and had only had sex once.) He didn't care if he died driving drunk. Another friend came in and tried to talk some sense into him too, even offering to drive him all the way back home, but he wasn't listening. He opens up the garage door and sees another car just on the other side that's blocking him in. At this point he decides that he's going to ram the car behind him out of the way and gets in his car to start it up. Two of us jump him and physically wrestle him out of the car, grab his keys and hold him down for a while. He eventually gets up, almost throws a punch at the guy who he'd been seething about and then starts sulking in the corner. Eventually another friend gives him a pep talk and he starts doing pushups and pumping free weights that were in the garage. Eventually he comes back in looking manic and talking about how he wasn't going to let BITCHES ruin his life and promptly passes out on the couch.

He didn't go home when he sobered up and the rest of the trip was an awkward mess. He was at least apologetic and we dealt with it as well as we could. The family members that owned the mountain house sold it later that year so we couldn't go back and it's a tremendous shame that most of our memories involve our friend being a huge jackass. I'm still friends with him, though. He hasn't had a similar outburst since and he's at least self-aware enough to know that he can't pull that poo poo again but he's still got some obvious issues that bubble to the surface when he's been drinking.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

normal contact posted:

So these dudes who believe in ladder theory must necessarily want to gently caress every single one of their female acquaintances? Like there isn't a single woman they know that they wouldn't bang? Sounds like low standards to me.

They go where all platonic friends go, the people for whom all companionship is pure and compassionate, "the abyss"

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Pick posted:

They go where all platonic friends go, the people for whom all companionship is pure and compassionate, "the abyss"

also known as facebook

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

normal contact posted:

wow
just wow
they arent picky so you say they have low standards
should they instead be shallow LIKE YOU!?!?
wow just wow
nice guys just cant win

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Turdfuzz posted:

wow
just wow
wow just wow
nice guys just cant win
________/

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

________/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SneakyFrog posted:

I dunno about the ladies. But I dont think I have ever gotten a gift from one of my guy friends when it wasnt like a birthday or something and the ONE time i did it was a dude who it was pretty glaringly obvious he had the hots for my ex-wife but was completely socially inept in soo many ways.

That's weird and sad. this thread is a pretty crazy look into the world of men. like how could you not just be able to give your friend a gift just because you appreciate him and you love him. how do men show they love each other?

I was with one of my bffs recently and we hadn't seen each other in a while so we were whippin out little gifts we'd bought for one another on a like hourly basis

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

thank god for capitalism how else would my bffs know we are bffs

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

thank god for capitalism how else would my bffs know we are bffs

I think you're supposed to pick lice from each other's pelts.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I thought you knew you were bffs when you blew each other :confused:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

That's weird and sad. this thread is a pretty crazy look into the world of men. like how could you not just be able to give your friend a gift just because you appreciate him and you love him. how do men show they love each other?

I was with one of my bffs recently and we hadn't seen each other in a while so we were whippin out little gifts we'd bought for one another on a like hourly basis

Men don't really do superfluous shopping a lot. They go in with a plan in mind and get those things and that's it. If X isn't available a quick search for a replacement item maybe, but not for long. Women like to go in with a plan in mind but remain open to other purchases and peruse around so they are more likely to come across a random item that they then buy bc 'oh X person will love this!' That's not :biotruths: or anything, that's just a documented behavior for whatever reason (maybe bc women have more cones vs rods than men? idk). So, the opportunity to get little gifts just isn't really there in the same way.

That said my friends and I would exchange a small gift and I don't think anyone would be weirded out by it? My friend just moved and found a bunch of his old Lego and knowing that I've gotten into messing around with it lately he gave it all to me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

Not exactly sure, but then I'm kind of a hosed upish dude so i might not be the best example of normal dudes bein normal. I just know that the closest relationships with other men have pretty much been the ones I served with in the army mainly because there was just that intangible thing like oh poo poo we may all die, but we didnt so gently caress yeah dude I love you no homo

Hell civilian dudes nothing personal but all I know now are trust fund kids, wanna be PUAs who yell at their parents for buying them the wrong brand new flagship phone or color of car , and I just :gonk: and pretty much just go home and hang out with my g/f and my animals that are nice and fluffy and make me all :3:

Guess I like animals a lot better than people.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

P-Mack posted:

I think you're supposed to pick lice from each other's pelts.

holy poo poo this is racist af

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Blue Train posted:

holy poo poo this is sexist af

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pick posted:

As a dude I think it's really weird that for some reason you think you need gifts instead of just like, hanging out to show that you're friends with someone. Like really whipping out gifts would be super awkward, I'd rather just hang out and drink beers or go to a sportsball game.

e: I guess I've given my friends stuff when they've been like "well I want/need x" and I happen to have x and not be using it, but I dont really go out of my way to buy presents for people.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

As a dude I think it's really weird that for some reason you think you need gifts instead of just like, hanging out to show that you're friends with someone. Like really whipping out gifts would be super awkward, I'd rather just hang out and drink beers or go to a sportsball game.

You don't get the gift to show them you're their friend in lieu of hanging out, you go hang out with said friend and then hey I bought you X because I saw it and I thought you'd like it friend :)

It's bc they genuinely thought the other person would like the gift, not to gain friendship points like it's The Sims (well, in most cases).

You don't get your friend a small gift if his B-day is coming up and you see something cool in the store?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Turdfuzz posted:

wow
just wow
wow just wow
nice guys just cant win

being down to gently caress anyone who throws their genitals at you is the exact definition of low standards, fyi

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Men don't really do superfluous shopping a lot. They go in with a plan in mind and get those things and that's it.

You should see me at a record store

Also I've never heard of anyone who buys presents for their friends and not just their SO's and family, except for one girl in high school who apparently bought all her friends something for Christmas but I opted out because it was super weird

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ranbo das posted:

It's not that they're valuable it's "I was thinking of you when you were not there."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk it was my roommate's bday not too long ago and I spent like $10-15 on some small succulents for her (at my gf's suggestion, they were from both of us) and she really liked it.

It was cool seeing my friend be happy about something I did for them idk that there needs to be anything else to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pick posted:

Well first off you never ever use the word love to describe a male/male friendship

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moridin920 posted:

Idk it was my roommate's bday not too long ago and I spent like $10-15 on some small succulents for her (at my gf's suggestion, they were from both of us) and she really liked it.

It was cool seeing my friend be happy about something I did for them idk that there needs to be anything else to it.

lol get a load of this irrational actor in the sexual marketplace

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

To double back to fitness chat for a second: Red Pill has a bunch of stupid concepts but telling guys to exercise, develop their interests, dress well, get educated and work on male friendships isn't bad.

Without fail m, every Nice Guy I know got over that after a year at the gym, and working on themselves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk sounds like a bunch of people are caught up in that bullshit 'macho' poo poo to me.

I tell my homies I love them and they say the same it's not a problem. We all know we don't actually mean we want to go gay for each other.

Frosted Flake posted:

To double back to fitness chat for a second: Red Pill has a bunch of stupid concepts but telling guys to exercise, develop their interests, dress well, get educated and work on male friendships isn't bad.

It is good advice.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Blue Train posted:

Women lack penises, so must use material trinkets as a symbolic replacement serving the same function that the oral transfer of semen plays in male platonic bonding. The true tragedy in this is that gender wage disparity means that women are doubly burdened by this extra expense.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

You don't get the gift to show them you're their friend in lieu of hanging out, you go hang out with said friend and then hey I bought you X because I saw it and I thought you'd like it friend :)

It's bc they genuinely thought the other person would like the gift, not to gain friendship points like it's The Sims (well, in most cases).

You don't get your friend a small gift if his B-day is coming up and you see something cool in the store?

I think "birthday gifts" and "multiple gifts just because we haven't seen each other in a while" are basically different planets as far as gifting is concerned. And poo poo, these days I don't even really do birthday gifts to friends, birthdays are more go out and drink occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Moridin920 posted:

idk sounds like a bunch of people are caught up in that bullshit 'macho' poo poo to me.

I tell my homies I love them and they say the same it's not a problem. We all know we don't actually mean we want to go gay for each other.

Agreed with the macho thing for sure. I mean it was all well and good from 17-22ish but seriously, let the macho go a bit eh?

• Locked thread