Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Pritchard's turns up from time to time... any thoughts on this label?

I did some reading and it's interesting because it's a Tennessee whiskey but it doesn't use the Lincoln County process, which is the charcoal filtering. This is mandated by law for Tennessee whiskey but they got grandfathered in despite being a fairly young distillery (1997).

So it'll be much more like a bourbon in that respect.

One other thing is that they use copper pot stills which is a huge plus imo.

I've never tried any but I'd pick one up based on that just to try it out if I came across a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Just discovered the wonders of proper single malts (I never knew the mass market Glens were not the limit).

Holy moly. Islay whisky. I'm hooked.

So far I've got Laphroig QC, Bunnah 8 and Talisker 10.

Then I saw other people using this company, ordered and am now at work at 11am wanting to hit the bottle already...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jamsta posted:

Just discovered the wonders of proper single malts (I never knew the mass market Glens were not the limit).

Holy moly. Islay whisky. I'm hooked.

So far I've got Laphroig QC, Bunnah 8 and Talisker 10.

Then I saw other people using this company, ordered and am now at work at 11am wanting to hit the bottle already...

Good, good. Let the peat flow through you.

Welcome!

Point of note: Talisker is not an Islay, but from the isle of Skye.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

spankmeister posted:

Good, good. Let the peat flow through you.

Welcome!

Point of note: Talisker is not an Islay, but from the isle of Skye.

Cheers!

Yes, I subconsciously grouped the Talisker together as it's Hebridean and shares some similar characteristics as the Bunnah 8 - but it's most definitely from Skye!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

spankmeister posted:

I did some reading and it's interesting because it's a Tennessee whiskey but it doesn't use the Lincoln County process, which is the charcoal filtering. This is mandated by law for Tennessee whiskey but they got grandfathered in despite being a fairly young distillery (1997).

So it'll be much more like a bourbon in that respect.

One other thing is that they use copper pot stills which is a huge plus imo.

I've never tried any but I'd pick one up based on that just to try it out if I came across a bottle.

Pritchard's makes the double chocolate bourbon also, I think? It's a fun novelty.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So I'm going to be seeing my father at a family reunion soon and I want to bring a bottle of scotch. We're both experienced scotch drinkers but our tastes are distinct; I prefer Islay scotches and he prefers Speyside scotches (my favorite is Caol Ila 12 and his is Glenlivet 15). I'd like to bring something that would be interesting for both of us.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

E: He does like peaty scotches so don't worry about that.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 29, 2016

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Compass Box Peat Monster (it's mild compared to Laphroaig/Ardbeg.)

Any of the peated BenRiachs.

Maybe Jura.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Jura, Highland Park, Talisker

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

All of the above
or
Springbank 10/Springbank 12 CS

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Stopped by the liquor store today and saw Talisker Storm for twenty bucks off. Picked it up. Don't know when I'm going to crack it. Also snagged Glenmorangie Original for five bucks off. There was also Glenlivet Founder's Cask on sale, don't remember for how much. Just checked my globe bar and I got a bottle of Dewars White that needs to be polished off, and a bottle of Tullamore Dew thats been sitting since March that is probably 2/3 full.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a big fan of scotch, especially islay malts, but lately I've been on a bourbon kick. I had some Wild Turkey 101 last month, shared a bottle of Maker's Mark with a friend a couple weeks ago, and today I went full on "gently caress it" because I haven't had one in at least a little while, and got a good ol' fifth of Jim Beam.

I love Kentucky Bourbon and I cannot lie.

spankmeister posted:

I ain't got nothing to say about that but Kentucky Bourbon is better than Tennessee Whiskey.

Absolute loving truth.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

kidsafe posted:

Maybe Jura.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jura, Highland Park, Talisker

biglads posted:

All of the above
or
Springbank 10/Springbank 12 CS
Good, I'll take a look at the liquor store, thanks.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 30, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kidsafe posted:

Maybe Jura.
All of those are good, but I guess I just got so hard into the more peaty scotches that I can't go back now. Ardbeg and Lagavulin are among my favourites and so is Laphroiag. Great, great scotch. I haven't tried BenRiachs yet, is that something I should turn my eye toward?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Think of BenRiach as Glendronach's sister distillery with less of a focus on sherry bombs and more experimentation.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I'm a big fan of scotch, especially islay malts, but lately I've been on a bourbon kick. I had some Wild Turkey 101 last month, shared a bottle of Maker's Mark with a friend a couple weeks ago, and today I went full on "gently caress it" because I haven't had one in at least a little while, and got a good ol' fifth of Jim Beam.

I love Kentucky Bourbon and I cannot lie.

Absolute loving truth.

Give Wild Turkey 81 a go.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kidsafe posted:

Think of BenRiach as Glendronach's sister distillery with less of a focus on sherry bombs and more experimentation.
poo poo, I'd like to drink that. Noted.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Give Wild Turkey 81 a go.
I have before, and it's okay, but when you've got 101 right next to it for only a few dollars more it's hard to ever actually spend money on a bottle of 81. WT101 is one of the greatest whiskeys in america (to me it's the KING of not-$100-a-bottle bourbon) and WT81 is just... eh... there. It's not BAD by any measure but... why?

e: Hell now that I think of it, that time I got WT81 was because the little mom & pop liquor store had run out of 101. That's really the only reason I could see myself buying it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 30, 2016

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Unfortunately WT101 doesn't seem to be available in Canada -- at least not anywhere in Alberta that I can find. On a recent trip to the States I was able to have some and yeah, it's pretty good.

So does the 81 make for a reasonable substitute? I've heard conflicting things. I've had Rare Breed, but if I'm spending that much I usually just buy Scotch instead. Normally when I go for bourbon I end up with Bulleit.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, that's an awkward question. There's no real substitute for WT101. Wild Turkey 81 is a good whiskey, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same. It's good. It's better than most of even your mid-shelf options but i'd take Jim Beam over it any day of the week, honestly. It just doesn't have the depth of flavour that 101 has and the difference between them becomes immediately apparent with the first sip.

Basically, if you've had 101 before, prepare to be disappointed. That said, if your other options are crap like jack daniels and/or whatever tennessee bullfuck, yeah, buy that WT81 and enjoy it. It's far from bad, I just never buy it because it's six inches away from WT101 at my local liquor store.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Wild Turkey as a company is a machine designed around 101 and I doubt they have changed methods significantly in a very long time. Touring the distillery and meeting Jim Russell and his son was the highlight of my trip to Kentucky. Sure Jim Rutledge came off as congenial and obsessed with his product, I believe he genuinely cared about my feedback and is a master of the craft but there is just something about Russell that says this man was born to this. And of course you can smell the Wild Turkey distillery for awhile before you can see it and it smells like heaven, they call it the Angel's Share, as I'm sure most of you know. But 81 proof bourbon just seems wrong. I've never had it and unless they cut the price maybe in half, I probably never will.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ChetReckless posted:

Unfortunately WT101 doesn't seem to be available in Canada -- at least not anywhere in Alberta that I can find. On a recent trip to the States I was able to have some and yeah, it's pretty good.

So does the 81 make for a reasonable substitute? I've heard conflicting things. I've had Rare Breed, but if I'm spending that much I usually just buy Scotch instead. Normally when I go for bourbon I end up with Bulleit.
As a fellow Canadian I've yet to find WT101 either, at least not east of TO. I like Bulleit too but the extra $2 for Buffalo Trace is always worth it to me.

The only things that WT81 have going for it is price and that it goes on sale fairly often. Even then just go up to Bulleit/BT which also have been known to go on sale too.

I'm in Halifax for Natal Day Weekend and decided to treat myself to bottles of Blanton's, EW Single Barrel and Bulleit 10yo. Never tried any of them so can't wait to get home.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 30, 2016

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

If you like straight whiskey more than bourbon, Wild Turkey 81 is nice as its more plain whiskey than it is bourbon, at least by my tastes.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I have a Glenfiddich and a Glenlivet both single malt and triple cask matured. Which should I open for this lazy Sunday?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Budgie posted:

I have a Glenfiddich and a Glenlivet both single malt and triple cask matured. Which should I open for this lazy Sunday?

They're both very similar, Glenlivet is slightly richer in flavour.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Aye a little research has shown that these gifts were marketed at airport travelers exclusively and don't have an age, because who knows how long they actually got in a cask. I opened both and they are quite similar but not as peaty tasting as the Ardmore I had before. Still pretty decent though.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Hello whisky thread! I'm going to England (London and Scarborough) for a week.

Please rec me things a) I can't get stateside b) I should be on the lookout for in DF on the way back!

My tastes are Diverse, but I lean peaty (Ardbeg Fanboy) and I'm looking for variety. weird peated stuff like Jura, Ledaig, Anything that has a beeswax note....

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Hello whisky thread! I'm going to England (London and Scarborough) for a week.

Please rec me things a) I can't get stateside b) I should be on the lookout for in DF on the way back!

My tastes are Diverse, but I lean peaty (Ardbeg Fanboy) and I'm looking for variety. weird peated stuff like Jura, Ledaig, Anything that has a beeswax note....

If you get the opportunity when in London pop along to Cadenhead's in Marylebone. It's fairly central and you'll almost certainly get a couple of tasters. Reckon you'll appreciate a good Longrow.

http://www.marylebonevillage.com/retailers/cadenhead-s-whisky

https://www.whiskytastingroom.com/

EDIT : FYI Marylebone is pronounced Marleybone

biglads fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 4, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hey folks, I'm picking up a gift for a friend (on behalf of a group of friends). He enjoys Johnnie Walker Black normally, but isn't a fan of big peat/smoke (hates the Double Black). Any recommendations for something in the $40-$60 range? Considering both blended and single malts, not necessarily limiting this to Scotch, but that's where I'm starting.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Springbank 10

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Just got back to my home in the south after a fantastic time in Scotland. Made sure to hit up as many Highland and Speyside distilleries as I could while I was there. I've come away having tried more whisky than I'd ever thought possible.

If you ever get the chance I'd recommend Glenrothes 2001 vintage. This is by far my favorite whisky but so hard to find (Even in the UK).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thanks for the input. We ended up getting him Macallan after a rather cynical discussion about perceived gift quality led us to a default decision.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Thanks for the input. We ended up getting him Macallan after a rather cynical discussion about perceived gift quality led us to a default decision.

That's a drat shame.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went back and re-read all my posts in this thread partly to see if there was anything I really liked and maybe had forgotten. It was mildly interesting but sadly I didn't document my trial and errors very well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got some jim beam single barrel at LAX. I normally wouldn't buy a jim beam branded product but they were pouring samples and it was pretty decent.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I'm in Gatwick DF right now and everything is weird as Hell NAS bottles.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I'm in Gatwick DF right now and everything is weird as Hell NAS bottles.

Welcome to travel retail.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

spankmeister posted:

Welcome to travel retail.

Well what do I get? Glenmorsngie 18? Is the Glenfiddich age of discovery line any good? Oban little bay?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Well what do I get? Glenmorsngie 18? Is the Glenfiddich age of discovery line any good? Oban little bay?

I'd stay away from the NAS stuff and get something with an age statement.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Oban Little Bay is good stuff, but it isn't particularly hard to find.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally get to have a real honest-to-God vacation again after four years, and this time I'm travelling to the UK. I'm looking to actually go north up to Scotland and take a distillery tour, and I've heard that some tours are better than others. Is there a legit list of the best tours to take? I'm looking to go sometime in October, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mojo1701a posted:

I finally get to have a real honest-to-God vacation again after four years, and this time I'm travelling to the UK. I'm looking to actually go north up to Scotland and take a distillery tour, and I've heard that some tours are better than others. Is there a legit list of the best tours to take? I'm looking to go sometime in October, if that helps.

Go ALL the way North and work your way down.

http://scapawhisky.com

I haven't tried Scapa's latest bottling, but their 14 and 16 were fantastic while they were available.