Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HoboMan posted:

maybe where you live is poo poo because i had at least one a day
(with an attitude that it's their problem to figure out if i'm actually qualified to do the work)

maybe? city of 400k? anyway can't move. might just have to start my own pharmacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

agree on 2 but for 1 on linked in I'm almost 100% certain their queries include your skills. ie my title is software engineer but I don't get front end spam

maybe but probably not

job title is everything and "software engineer" is one of the titles for a front-end gig. so there you have it

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

what is it for back-end then? because gently caress front-end

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

HoboMan posted:

what is it for back-end then? because gently caress front-end

it's all the same

job titles are meaningless

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

echinopsis posted:

there is just so few jobs. maybe one pops up every week or two?

have you ever thought of becoming an internationally renowned gigolo?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
has anyone said gigolo economy yet

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
echi get a magento certification and become my code monkey

at least I can talk to you in english and you'll understand me, this is a huge plus

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Symbolic Butt posted:

magento certification

:stare:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lol I know

you never know how desperate a dude is

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

3rd party API's error logs are abbreviated to like 1000 characters lol

they be like "An error occured, Java.Lang.NullPointerException in com.3rdparty.ButtFunc(str (...)"

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 22, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if you're ever leading a c++ project, please for the love of god enforce const-correctness

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

const_cast

#yolo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

quiggy posted:

if you're ever leading a c++ project, please for the love of god enforce const-correctness

in college we used c++ for half of our comp sci classes that required programming, which led me to the false impression that i knew how to write c++. i'm pretty sure we never covered the concept of const-correctness in any of those classes.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

same

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hobbesmaster posted:

const_cast

#yolo

i'd literally prefer code peppered with reinterpret_casts and void pointers than const_cast

holy gently caress what a terrible idea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

const_cast and reinterpret_cast are there because casts to (void*) are legal so you may as well let people describe exactly what retarded thing they're doing

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

GameCube posted:

in college we used c++ for half of our comp sci classes that required programming, which led me to the false impression that i knew how to write c++. i'm pretty sure we never covered the concept of const-correctness in any of those classes.

this infuriates me. it's not like const-correctness is a hard concept, it's just something to be aware of. just tag your const methods const, people!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

have you ever seen code written by college professors

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

quiggy posted:

this infuriates me. it's not like const-correctness is a hard concept, it's just something to be aware of. just tag your const methods const, people!

I always forget that const is a thing :negative:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
void * is not a foolproof "raw pointer" value in C++ either, due to the possibility of implicit conversion operators. the official raw pointer type is const volatile char& (actually a reference type, so to cast a pointer you have to dereference it first e: I'm an idiot, of course if you have a pointer you can just cast it directly because they are built-in types and you can't give them a user-defined conversion operator), as seen for example in std::addressof

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 22, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

quiggy posted:

*reading visual studio express 2005 build output, in idiot undergrad voice* cannot assign to a variable that is const? what the gently caress? *selects the word "const" by holding trackpad button with one finger and dragging over it with the other, code compiles* wow computers are loving bullshit, why would they include a word that just makes your code not compile *submits homework assignment, gets wasted at 6 pm on a tuesday*

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hackbunny posted:

const volatile

:pwn:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

uncurable mlady posted:

recruiters: they're bad

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

and you thought that "when is a const not a const" quip was a joke

a "volatile" variable can have a different value every time it's read, so every time you fetch a "volatile" variable, the compiler has to insert a memory fetch (not a memory fence though: it may - Microsoft's compiler does - but it's not required and you shouldn't expect it). basically it's like a variable with a getter and a setter function (literally sometimes, if they're used to describe memory mapped hardware registers for example), although compilers will often try to pretend they don't have to be that strict... and get it wrong. I forget who was that professor working on program correctness checking, but he showed that clang had bugs in its treatment of volatiles by modifying it to explicitly use functions to read/write volatiles, which resulted in stricter and more correct behavior than the default implementation

a "const volatile" variable is a variable with a getter but no setter. the getter still has to be called every time, hence volatile

I believe that with memory mapped registers you totally can have write-only variables but C and C++ have no way to represent that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's so the compiler doesn't whine if the thing you're taking the address of is volatile or const

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

yeah in that context it's just the most permissive set of pointer/reference qualifications available

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya in embedded land write-only addresses are very common

or, better yet, they'll pair a read-only register with a write-only register and just stick them at the same address, so the read-contents and write-contents are different and at best vaguely related

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

a bug worthy of the underhanded C contest: an audit chastised us (actually a third party library) for using rand, so I replaced it with (int)arc4random_uniform(UINT_MAX)

this makes rand return negative numbers about half the time, meaning things like rand() % 100 (lovely way to get a uniform distribution, I know, but not my code) can now return values out of range (from -99 to 99 instead of from 0 to 99) which breaks all sorts of things... randomly

the fix is one byte: change UINT_MAX to INT_MAX

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackbunny posted:

I forget who was that professor working on program correctness checking, but he showed that clang had bugs in its treatment of volatiles by modifying it to explicitly use functions to read/write volatiles, which resulted in stricter and more correct behavior than the default implementation
probably :
http://blog.regehr.org

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

:tipshat:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

the fix is one byte: change UINT_MAX to INT_MAX

christ I'm an idiot, it's (unsigned)INT_MAX + 1

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

GameCube posted:

*reading visual studio express 2005 build output, in idiot undergrad voice* cannot assign to a variable that is const? what the gently caress? *selects the word "const" by holding trackpad button with one finger and dragging over it with the other, code compiles* wow computers are loving bullshit, why would they include a word that just makes your code not compile *submits homework assignment, gets wasted at 6 pm on a tuesday*

they're right though, const is almost entirely worthless

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

proper use of it can prevent deep copies at least

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

hackbunny posted:

(int)arc4random_uniform(UINT_MAX)

i'm the casting of uint to int

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

gonadic io posted:

i'm the casting of uint to int

should it be (int)(unsigned)? idk, now that the range is right it shouldn't matter

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

"it's changed by something else, so do a real memory read every time you need it. also, i'm making a promise that I won't write to it in the space of this program"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

hackbunny posted:

a "const volatile" variable is a variable with a getter but no setter. the getter still has to be called every time, hence volatile

I believe that with memory mapped registers you totally can have write-only variables but C and C++ have no way to represent that

i learned something new today! most likely utterly useless to me since i'm not a hardware guy, but who knows with c++

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
loving owned for like 5 hours in stage because i didn't know java has its own CA trust process

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So the architect likes "just hash it" to the point he wants to rip out all the stupid search loops. We walked through the code together (tribal knowledge, woo!! gently caress writing poo poo down!) and he kept apologizing for how bad the code was.

He's juggling 3 projects and didn't really have fresh in his mind how bad what we took on to fix actually is. When I ask about biz rules with $client they'll admit they don't know, or that some definitions are nonstandard.

I thought consulting was glamorous not "oh my gooooood why didn't you call us sooner." On the flip side I feel better about my code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

echi get a magento certification and become my code monkey

at least I can talk to you in english and you'll understand me, this is a huge plus

what is this? something forgeniers get to remote work from their hut in mongolia

• Locked thread