Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Yeah but that guy would loving talk it out with Batman instead of fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Germstore posted:

If BvS was nothing but two hours of debate between Batman and Superman with a single fixed camera it would be a far better movie.

Also, it would mean Superman had more than 4 lines of dialogue in a movie about him.

naem
May 29, 2011

Germstore posted:

That's what he tries to do in the comic and it works perfectly, batman has to provoke him into a fight and almost defeats him with some tricks he knew wouldn't work, then fakes dead, which was ultimately his goal, only superman hears his drug slowed heartbeat, realizes what Bruce was doing all along, and winks supermanly allowing batman a plan to success because he's superman and very nice, basically imagine a "good" story, also zach Snyder stinks and his butt stinks and he likes to kiss his own butt

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Badman versus subparman dawn of just rear end.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

naem posted:

That's what he tries to do in the comic and it works perfectly, batman has to provoke him into a fight and almost defeats him with some tricks he knew wouldn't work, then fakes dead, which was ultimately his goal, only superman hears his drug slowed heartbeat, realizes what Bruce was doing all along, and winks supermanly allowing batman a plan to success because he's superman and very nice, basically imagine a "good" story, also zach Snyder stinks and his butt stinks and he likes to kiss his own butt

he likes to KISS his OWN butt?!?!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Gorilla Salad posted:

How the gently caress would it be?

Well, an internet provider that would normally not give out your name and address to an individual without some sort of police involvement, court order or human error, will as a matter of course tell large and powerful copyright holders exactly who has downloaded that thing, or interrupt your service on potentially spurious accusations, because those holders have the power and influence to negatively impact an ISPs bottom line. It may have been legislated to be a protected practice in the US or certain states, I don't know, but that certainly wasn't the default.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

superman doesn't owe you anything. least of all a good movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

superman doesn't owe you anything. least of all a good movie

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What was CD like before SuperMechaGodzilla? Was it nice?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, it was pretty chill, there were cool director-specific threads or franchise-specific threads, stuff about new releases, it was all very sane.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It wasn't always contrarian assholes purposefully cultivating the world's worst opinions. It took years to turn into literally the worst thing humanity is currently involved in.

"If I make up something really severely retarded people will have to ask me "What?!" and when I explain myself it makes me smarter than them"
"Perhaps you don't realize but if you cross reference Aristotle, Plato, Zizek, Tolstoy and Anne Rice you'll see that Jar Jar Binks is the pinnacle of acting ability and humanity will take 30,000 years to surpass it. don't believe me? Let me explain it to you plebian :smug:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It wasn't always contrarian assholes purposefully cultivating the world's worst opinions. It took years to turn into literally the worst thing humanity is currently involved in.

I want to say the turning point was IIRC Terry Von Felladay's otherwise excellent reexamination of the first three Transformers movies, which was a critical review of what the Transformers movies were trying to accomplish but failed to execute well (the whole Megatron literally transitioning from a powerful masculine figure to a feminized copy of Optimus Prime completely missed me until that thread but stuff like Optimus is really the bad guy and the theme of facial destruction as death of identity is easy to spot). My guess is that SMG saw the attention it got and decided go whole hog except going with Zizek quotes instead of visual proof.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to give watching Man of Steel another try. Please pray for me.

The very first thing that stuck out to me in the movie is the ugly baby CGI superman. What the gently caress is up with that?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Krypton sequence is cool, I guess? But the action is so chaotic I have no idea what is going on.

The movie starts out with the premise that everyone is an rear end in a top hat. It's so cynical. Starting from the council, to Zod, to even Superman's birth mother. And it's definitely a theme that continues when we get to Earth.

Jor-el isn't much better. "He'll be a god to them." Wow great, that's what we really need. Are we supposed to agree with this guy? Normally I wouldn't say so but knowing Snyder...

Speaking of Snyder, I don't think he is a good director. He tries too much and too often to make things dramatic, which renders them comical.

I don't think any of my points are new or groundbraking, but I'm personally trying to make sense of why I think this is one of my most disliked movies ever. It's even despicable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Young Freud posted:

I want to say the turning point was IIRC Terry Von Felladay's otherwise excellent reexamination of the first three Transformers movies, which was a critical review of what the Transformers movies were trying to accomplish but failed to execute well (the whole Megatron literally transitioning from a powerful masculine figure to a feminized copy of Optimus Prime completely missed me until that thread but stuff like Optimus is really the bad guy and the theme of facial destruction as death of identity is easy to spot). My guess is that SMG saw the attention it got and decided go whole hog except going with Zizek quotes instead of visual proof.

SMG was around a long time before this, doing the same old thing he does now. He has been the most ignored poster on the forum for many years.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Nirvikalpa posted:

The Krypton sequence is cool, I guess? But the action is so chaotic I have no idea what is going on.

The movie starts out with the premise that everyone is an rear end in a top hat. It's so cynical. Starting from the council, to Zod, to even Superman's birth mother. And it's definitely a theme that continues when we get to Earth.

Jor-el isn't much better. "He'll be a god to them." Wow great, that's what we really need. Are we supposed to agree with this guy? Normally I wouldn't say so but knowing Snyder...

I sort of wonder if MoS would have maybe been a bit better received if the film had ignored Krypton almost entirely. The audience and Clark both start off from the same place: Just discovering a vague alien background, we know almost nothing about where comes from, what his home world was like, the circumstances of what brought him to Earth, if there are others like him, etc.

When Zod shows up, how much of what he says is true and how much is a lie could be open to a lot of interpretation and scrutiny, does Clark believe him, do we believe him. When Holo Jor-El appears, not even he could have all the answers, either, if the key maybe only kept information up to a very short time prior to the launch of the Kal's ship.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Now we have grumpy hobo Superman who randomly saves some people on an oil rig to prove how heroic he is. Then we have a disjointed flashback to when Clark was a kid. To be edgy, Clark doesn't know how to control his powers so everything looks horrifying. He also uses his eye beams to purposefully burn his teacher's hand when she tries to get him to escape from a closet. (Wtf I didn't realize that on the first viewing) His mom shows up to calm him down, which is supposed to show what great of a mom she is. But then we find out that his parents don't let him play with the other kids. Good going Kents. No wonder Superman is such an emotionally repressed weirdo.

Now that I think about it, these flashback scenes really weigh the movie down. I think they're unrelatable like meeting Jake Lloyd in the Phantom Menace. Also compared with Batman Beyond, I think it only had a couple of flashbacks leading up to his parents death, and then one scene as a college student while attending Joe Chill's trial.

As Superman's answer to Batman Begins, this movie fails in every way.

People say Nolan's Batman was brooding, but this film spends way more time on Superman angst.

Now there is the infamous bus drowning scene. These dramatic moments are really killing the pacing of the movie when we're slowing down every five minutes.

As we know, Jonathan yells at Kent for saving people even though it seems like other people view them positively.

Now we meet Lois Lane. Superman has to cauterize her wound by putting his eye beams into it.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lois wants to convince her boss that she met an alien. Her justification is that she's a Pulitzer Prize wining reporter and sounds utterly unconvincing.

Superman is meeting with Jor-el on the ship who proceeds to infodump everything. Why is he there if the ship is 20,000 years old? I don't know.

S stands for hope on Krypton.

Have you noticed that Jor-el is very patronizing towards humans yet? Meanwhile Superman does nothing remotely consisting of leadership in this movie or Batman vs Superman. He doesn't even get to be the founder of the Justice League.

Superman's first flight scene is pretty good to me.

I honestly can't stand Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I'm not sure what else I've watched with her. The Muppets? She was good in that one. She tells about how Clark is supposed to be a hero and can't quit, but it's never shown in the movie. Compare with Batman Begins, where Bruce risks his life to save Ra's Al Ghul.

Now we're at the dumb tornado scene. It always stuck out to me when I watched it how immature and bitchy Clark was. What is he supposed to be, 14? "You're not my dad!!!" How is this supposed to make the character sympathetic at all? Then what's up with his dad being such a bitter guy who's discouraging his son from leaving the farm?

The tornado scene is awful. I don't have anything new to say about it except for this panel from the comics:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
all in service of Snyder's big dumb moneyshots every 5 minutes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Flesh Forge posted:

all in service of Snyder's big dumb moneyshots every 5 minutes

Ejac scenes could only have improved the movie

Supes having to pull out in time not to blast the guts out of lois like that deleted hancock scene

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Nirvikalpa posted:

Lois wants to convince her boss that she met an alien. Her justification is that she's a Pulitzer Prize wining reporter and sounds utterly unconvincing.

Superman is meeting with Jor-el on the ship who proceeds to infodump everything. Why is he there if the ship is 20,000 years old? I don't know.

Have you noticed that Jor-el is very patronizing towards humans yet? Meanwhile Superman does nothing remotely consisting of leadership in this movie or Batman vs Superman. He doesn't even get to be the founder of the Justice League.

I honestly can't stand Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I'm not sure what else I've watched with her. The Muppets? She was good in that one. She tells about how Clark is supposed to be a hero and can't quit, but it's never shown in the movie. Compare with Batman Begins, where Bruce risks his life to save Ra's Al Ghul.

Now we're at the dumb tornado scene. It always stuck out to me when I watched it how immature and bitchy Clark was. What is he supposed to be, 14? "You're not my dad!!!" How is this supposed to make the character sympathetic at all? Then what's up with his dad being such a bitter guy who's discouraging his son from leaving the farm?

The tornado scene is awful. I don't have anything new to say about it except for this panel from the comics:

Enchanted is real good.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
My main question is this: Will they ever introduce pink kryptonite and make Superman gay?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blizzy_Cow posted:

My main question is this: Will they ever introduce pink kryptonite and make Superman gay?

Zach Snyder monkeys paw activates: Superman is now lynched by an angry mob of rednecks using a kryptonite rope

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Germstore posted:

Enchanted is real good.

she's really good in Night at the Museum 2

probably the best thing about that film tbh

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Otisburg posted:

Ejac scenes could only have improved the movie

Supes having to pull out in time not to blast the guts out of lois like that deleted hancock scene

wh... what?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

SMG was around a long time before this, doing the same old thing he does now. He has been the most ignored poster on the forum for many years.

SMG is a girl. Please do not misgebder her.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
for the last time supermechagodzilla is not sarah michelle gellar

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Flesh Forge posted:

wh... what?

there is a deleted scene from the will smith superhero film hancock where he invites a gal back to his trailer and she's riding him cowgirl and he has to throw her off at the moment of release which blasts a hole in the roof

i am not making this up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otisburg posted:

there is a deleted scene from the will smith superhero film hancock where he invites a gal back to his trailer and she's riding him cowgirl and he has to throw her off at the moment of release which blasts a hole in the roof

i am not making this up.

The youtube uploads seem to have been taken down but the scene is still up at Dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7x5gk_hancock_shortfilms

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

i am not making this up.

It's also one of the sexual details in Larry Niven's "Man Of Steel, Woman Of Kleenex" essay. I'm pretty sure that's where Hancock got that idea from as well as a Family Guy gag where Superman is at a crime scene with a pair of cops who inform him that the woman with the back of her head blow off resembles a bunch of mysterious deaths in gay pickup bars.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 22, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Otisburg posted:

there is a deleted scene from the will smith superhero film hancock where he invites a gal back to his trailer and she's riding him cowgirl and he has to throw her off at the moment of release which blasts three holes in the roof

i am not making this up.

fixed for accuracy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Otisburg posted:

i am not making this up.

why on earth would they cut this from the film, it's bad rear end :confused:

Young Freud posted:

It's also one of the sexual details in Larry Niven's "Man Of Steel, Woman Of Kleenex" essay. I'm pretty sure that's where Hancock got that idea from as well as a Family Guy gag where Superman is at a crime scene with a pair of cops who inform him that the woman with the back of her head blow off resembles a bunch of mysterious deaths in gay pickup bars.

exactly, it would have been a great reference

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Uh, guys, it's a Mallrats reference. Duh.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Lois Lane and the Daily Planet should both be horrible and controversial sensationalists. The closest anyone at the Planet ever got to a Pulitzer Prize is when someone snuck into a party being held in the honor of the late Roger Ebert and took a photo of themselves with his award.

The headlines and articles in the Daily Planet for the day after the events of MoS detail Zod's perverse breeding factory in lurid and inaccurate detail, an article wondering about if it'd be a crime to have sex with an alien, Could Superman beat Goku or Chuck Norris in a fight, etc.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Superman could make some serious side cash on ISS supply delivery contracts.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Was this used in BvS? I feel it could have actually improved things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutWOk0cejc

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

speaking of beavis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aomqbq5eIB0

what does this have to do with BVS

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 22, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nirvikalpa posted:

everything else you said was completely valid, but computer ghost jor-el was in the little stick thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serious Frolicking posted:

everything else you said was completely valid, but computer ghost jor-el was in the little stick thing.

Backup_dad.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

for the last time supermechagodzilla is not sarah michelle gellar

I like the idea of a 30 something Sarah Michelle geller giggling and typing up massive movie review manifestos on a dying comedy website

• Locked thread