Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Quest For Glory II posted:

They're independent but work exclusively for nintendo. Basically a second party. Just prior to Dark Moon they did some licensed Captain America game for Xbox 360/PS3

Yeah I used to work there in the Mario strikers era (different project). Nintendo's cutting their cheques but theres no first party exclusivity there unless things have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah expect the nx release to be the full console version and 3ds to be the classic graphics version
it would be pretty dumb to not put ue4 support in a console in 2017

It's not really about a console supporting UE4 as it is UE4 supporting the console. Wii U didn't have UE4 primarily because Epic didn't want to port it to Wii U. UE4 is inherently scalable, so it's unlikely to have been hardware limitations. Theoretically, anyone with the UE4 source could go ahead and port it to Wii U, and Epic has said as much, though that hasn't happened.

So if Epic doesn't port UE4 for NX, someone else will have to do it. UE4 and Unity are competing, though, so if Unity gets ported to NX, that's incentive for UE4 to get a port done as well, especially if NX turns out to be a hit among indie/lower budget devs.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I remember when UE4 support for Wii U came up in an interview and the Epic guy just laughed. Good times. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mark Rein posted:

"Hahaha no. I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already. Nothing controversial, guys."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You can't really make a current gen engine magically work on a last-gen console without removing features to the point where you might as well just use UE3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

UE4 is coming to the Wii U but only because of the Bloodstained kickstarter and it'll be so late as to be worthless for anyone else.

I believe there was a stretch goal where they were getting Armature studio to handle getting it on Wii U and Vita just so the game could be ported to there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Phantasium posted:

UE4 is coming to the Wii U but only because of the Bloodstained kickstarter and it'll be so late as to be worthless for anyone else.

I believe there was a stretch goal where they were getting Armature studio to handle getting it on Wii U and Vita just so the game could be ported to there.

Maybe Wii U will be like Dreamcast and people will release stuff for years after it's dead. Nothing is stopping someone from paying Nintendo to make a game for it. I guess Nintendo could refuse to keep licensing stuff.

Dreamcast is super easy to play burned games though which does help. So much untapped potential.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Reading that Nvidia is supposedly set to announce the Tegra X2 today at the Hot Chips event. Will give us our first look into exactly how powerful it's gonna be and if Nintendo announces a direct shortly after, that may be a clue that it's in the NX

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kashuno posted:

Discs for handhelds are in fact not cool

Sorry, you're wrong... exposed spinning discs on portables are the height of coolness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCl6Pi-Uyg

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

Reading that Nvidia is supposedly set to announce the Tegra X2 today at the Hot Chips event. Will give us our first look into exactly how powerful it's gonna be and if Nintendo announces a direct shortly after, that may be a clue that it's in the NX

Nintendo announced the WiiU using a GPU similar to the HD 4670 the same year AMD announced and released their HD 7XXX series GPUs.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Arzachel posted:

Nintendo announced the WiiU using a GPU similar to the HD 4670 the same year AMD announced and released their HD 7XXX series GPUs.

Let me just hold onto hope that Nintendo will opt for the more powerful processor before they crush my dreams and announce a special Tegra processor that is actually half the power of the X1 with 500MB of RAM

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Parker(X2) specs are actually not extraordinarily more powerful than X1, but are 60% more power efficient, which sounds Nintendo as gently caress and would be really good for a handheld console.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

Let me just hold onto hope that Nintendo will opt for the more powerful processor before they crush my dreams and announce a special Tegra processor that is actually half the power of the X1 with 500MB of RAM

Oh God that's exactly what's going to happen, isn't it?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

greatn posted:

The Parker(X2) specs are actually not extraordinarily more powerful than X1, but are 60% more power efficient, which sounds Nintendo as gently caress and would be really good for a handheld console.

The CPU on the original 3DS was also two generations behind :v:

I honestly think they'll be using a semi-custom design from Nvidia instead of an off the shelf SoC, but we'll see.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

pixaal posted:

Dreamcast is super easy to play burned games though which does help. So much untapped potential.

The PS1 was as well because back then optical discs didn't have any serious copy-protection, it seemed.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Nobody had CD burners til like 1999 unless you were rich as balls

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

zenintrude posted:

Sorry, you're wrong... exposed spinning discs on portables are the height of coolness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCl6Pi-Uyg

oh god i want this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PBS Newshour posted:

oh god i want this

DIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwbwBwhpgyc

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kevyn posted:

Nobody had CD burners til like 1999 unless you were rich as balls

By 2001 you had to be poor as gently caress not to have one though

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

pixaal posted:

Maybe ask Mark Rein to port UE4 to Dreamcast

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

By 2001 you had to be poor as gently caress not to have one though

Yeah, that poo poo dropped hard. I remember in late 1999 we had a CD burner and we did not get one when they were hideously expensive, but they were still like, $50+. And I remember this because that's when FF8 came out, and I was desperately trying to burn the first disc and get it to work in my (badly chipped) Playstation which I had downloaded from the internet a few days before the official release date, which was THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED so I just wanted to play disc 1 before I could buy the retail copy, and each failed attempt, of which there were several, cost me like an entire dollar and it was nerve-wracking. I never did get it to work :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah, that poo poo dropped hard. I remember in late 1999 we had a CD burner and we did not get one when they were hideously expensive, but they were still like, $50+. And I remember this because that's when FF8 came out, and I was desperately trying to burn the first disc and get it to work in my (badly chipped) Playstation which I had downloaded from the internet a few days before the official release date, which was THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED so I just wanted to play disc 1 before I could buy the retail copy, and each failed attempt, of which there were several, cost me like an entire dollar and it was nerve-wracking. I never did get it to work :(

I recently threw out what was left of the last spool of blanks I ever bought. I'd been holding on to those for like eight years.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

And here it is:
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

triple pipeline... am i reading that right !! :wth:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Parker! Get me pictures! Pictures of NX-man!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Parker! Get me pictures! Pictures of NX-man!

lol

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm excited about the automotive capabilities of the NX

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

NX, parking in a car near you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its funny that Digital Foundry has an automotive X2 that they showed on camera. i feel bad for whichever eurogamer employee's dad had his benz "stolen" to source that

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Great Joe posted:

NX, parking in a car near you

The NX is actually the revolution Nintendo was hoping for. It's a car-console where you can drive and play Zelda: Breath of the Wild ON your windshield! The car itself is on the level of Honda in terms of speed & performance while the graphics engine running inside the car is nearly the power of the PS4. Be able to game wherever you want!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The NX is gonna be a portable refridgerator.

It will not play video games.

Please understand.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

itsa me, mario! you gonna needa more milk!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

thank you mario

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i do not like how it keeps adding green spots to my eggs... at all...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Nintendo Automotive Entertainment System is going to cause so many wrecks.

Also, on bizarro-NeoGaf:

"If the Nintendo Car can't hit 0-60 in under 1.2 seconds while running Breath of the Wild what's even the point?"
"The fuel efficiency goes up when you play Virtual Console games, though!"
"Typical fanboy. Sony's new car has an opaque windshield that acts as a 4k monitor."

Edit:
"Why can't my pickup play Halo? Did I get the wrong Ram?"

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 23, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PBS Newshour posted:

i do not like how it keeps adding green spots to my eggs... at all...

If you buy Yoshi eggs from a chain grocery then they're unfertilized, no risk of cracking a half formed Yoshi for your Sunday breakfast

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

The NX is gonna be a portable refridgerator.

It will not play video games.

Please understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAL9Ge0FRvE

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Nintendo will be going back to their roots. The NX is a brand new way to think about playing cards. Remember, playing cards already have the advantage of being played at home or taken with you on the go. They'll be following it up with a love hotel and taxi service.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they should make a movie about he NX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Argue posted:

Nintendo will be going back to their roots. The NX is a brand new way to think about playing cards. Remember, playing cards already have the advantage of being played at home or taken with you on the go. They'll be following it up with a love hotel and taxi service.

I agree with that shareholder who said they should make bread, I'd buy nintendo bread

• Locked thread