Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, those seals of binding, duh. Yeah, just farm any cultist-heavy area for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

blood grove is full of cultists that will drop the chthonic seals, any place with human chthonic enemies will do but I think blood grove has the largest concentration of them

There's also that Cultist HQ you can find in Act 1, but Blood Grove is probably better for farming just because it's so much bigger.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Darkvale Gate is also a not-horrible place to find them. There's a tomb near the Asterkarn Valley waypoint that's decent for them as well.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Here's something you can try: http://grimcalc.com/build/4CaAnwp

Probably use a Mark of Dreeg as a weapon component. Your hotkey bar will be filled up. If you can get a hold of a Mistborn relic, use that instead of Cadence as your auto-attack. Once you get some gear that gives you +1 to skills, you can spread some points around more.

You want to prioritize damage types in order of most important first: vitality, acid, fire/chaos damage.

Cool, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

B-Mac posted:

Google lazy Pokemon master build. Once you start stacking pet dmg it tears poo poo up.

Yeah I scoured the official forums for any info about Summon Familiar and unfortunately that build seems to summon everything but the raven. Oh well, guess I'll just have to experiment.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Stokes posted:

Yeah I scoured the official forums for any info about Summon Familiar and unfortunately that build seems to summon everything but the raven. Oh well, guess I'll just have to experiment.

I dropped some points in a few other things to get the Raven because more minions = more fun and I am still wrecking face.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Hexenritter posted:

I'm playing a ranged demolitionist, and for my second class I specced into Soldier and I'm thinking I gimped myself. Any ideas? I'm level 28 and don't really want to start over with another demo.

If you go dual wield pistols and rely on Fire Strike for your damage, you can get Field Command / Squad Tactics + Oleron's Rage + Military Condition + Markovian's Advantage (all maxed) in Soldier. All are very good for your setup.

If you go 1h ranged, it's probably best to run Fire Strike early on and eventually switch to the heavily-buffed Cadence-line later on, especially once you start seeing Valdun items. That'll leave you with Demo as the support-tree, which is still nice for things like Flame-Touched / Temper + the total speed buff that I'm totally forgetting the name of + Flashbang + Blast Shield

Commando is, in most situations, the best setup for a ranged character. You didn't gimp yourself in the least. Just don't take more points in spirit than you need for jewelry (326 for endgame)

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

*In dps

In survivability, you're pretty much in easy mode.

DPS is all that matters. Every build can get enough survivability from putting on the mandatory Elite Legion Headguard and grabbing some %Health on devotions.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I rolled up a new character, going with a Blade Dancer(?) this time. Should I use cadence or just regular attacks. Not quite sure how the "Activates off of any default attacks" things work.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

watho posted:

I rolled up a new character, going with a Blade Dancer(?) this time. Should I use cadence or just regular attacks. Not quite sure how the "Activates off of any default attacks" things work.

Things that trigger off your default attacks will also trigger off things like Cadence that are designed specifically to replace your default attack. (Cadence, Fire Strike, Savagery or whatever the Shaman one is killed are the main ones, I think). Some 0-cooldown attacks aren't so designed, but they'll say so in the description. And Cadence will absolutely be better than your default attack.

One alternative to using either Cadence or ordinary vanilla attacks with a Nightblade combo, though, is to put Ameratsa's Blade Burst on your left-click. While it's on cooldown, you'll do default attacks (and have the chance to proc your special attacks that trigger there), but one attack out of every 3 or 4 or so will be a Blade Burst, and once you have points in Lethal Assault, that will buff all of your attacks (since it triggers every time you do a blade burst and lasts a few seconds). I don't know if this is better than Cadence (I've not really played much with Soldier) but I can absolutely vouch for it as being very effective on the Witch Hunter (Nightblade+Occultist) I'm currently running.

Once you have a few proc-on-attack devotions that you can put on either Blade Burst (or Cadence) or one of your proc-on-default attacks, then poo poo gets crazy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I see, thanks. I'll probably go with Cadence then. Ameratsa's Blade Burst is pretty rad but I don't think I'll be using it as my main attack, so to speak.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'm bad at this game, but I remember seeing several nerds on the main forum say that cadence is not so great with the skills that activate off default attacks since those attacks won't actually activate on the main, every third swing, cadence hit. Also, the main cadence hit will only swing with your main hand weapon and will never use your off-hand, so cadence is mostly good for sword-and-board witchblades and battlemages.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm bad at this game, but I remember seeing several nerds on the main forum say that cadence is not so great with the skills that activate off default attacks since those attacks won't actually activate on the main, every third swing, cadence hit. Also, the main cadence hit will only swing with your main hand weapon and will never use your off-hand, so cadence is mostly good for sword-and-board witchblades and battlemages.

I seem to recall something like that now that you mention it. I probably won't do Cadence then! Back to the theorycrafting board.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You're correct in that Cadence isn't as good as other default attack replacements for the purposes of triggering effects that specifically trigger off of default attacks. This is because the third attack (the Cadence hit) doesn't count as a default attack for some reason, so it can't proc stuff that will only proc off of a "default attack." But devotions that just proc off an ability/attack, can proc on the first, second and third attacks (I believe).

The good news is that Cadence has been buffed in the latest patch and is pretty powerful. For ranged attacks, in that if you upgrade the skill that lets it pierce, it can wreck an entire crowd of monsters.

However, like all default attack replacement skill lines, it takes a lot of skill points to develop. If you like more spread out and dynamic builds, here are some items that provide good replacements that come to mind:

- https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/7538-Shard-of-Beronath (counts as a default attack)
- https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/2925-Mistborn-Talisman (counts as a default attack)
- https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/2472-Void-Touched-Ammo (left click replacement, but doesn't count as a default attack)
- https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/2418-Amber (left click replacement, but doesn't count as a default attack)
- https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/2435-Flintcore-Bolts (left click replacement, but doesn't count as a default attack)
- https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/2430-Deathchill-Bolts (left click replacement, but doesn't count as a default attack)

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2016

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
e: I didn't see Dahbadu's last post and he said everything I did but in more detail, so disregard.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

watho posted:

I seem to recall something like that now that you mention it. I probably won't do Cadence then! Back to the theorycrafting board.

consider it anyways (assuming you have the points) simply because the Deadly Momentum passive for it adds a shitload of flat damage for its duration, which affects all your attacks

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

watho posted:

Cadence is garbage for Blademasters, don't use it. Depending on points distribution it can actually be a DPS drop to use it over regular default attacks.

What you want is Mistborn Talisman, eventually replacing it with a Shard of Beronath weapon component. Those two are the only things a Blademaster should ever have on his left click. Don't run Amarastas. It's true that you will do normal attacks inbetween Amarastas, but those will be un-enhanced attacks.

I'd like to emphasize again that every dual-wield Blademaster should run Mistborn Talisman or Shard of Beronath. Shard is better because it allows you to run Belgothian's Carnage in the relic slot, but Mistborn is available earlier and is cheaper, so you can normally start out with that.

E:
List of situations in which you should run Cadence:

- You're playing a Valduns set commando
- You're doing a really weird and dumb sword and board build

List of situations where you should not:

- All others

The Mash fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 25, 2016

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Is Shard of Beronath a really really rare drop or is it crafted only? The wiki says it's a rare component but I have 400+ hours in this game and have never seen one.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

Is Shard of Beronath a really really rare drop or is it crafted only? The wiki says it's a rare component but I have 400+ hours in this game and have never seen one.

It's quite rare, but a decent amount of goons have one. Feel free to hop on Discord and ask for one. Someone (including myself) should be able to hook you up.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like the speedrun community for this game is finally starting to get some legs, which is nice. There's only two people with completed runs on speedrun.com right now but I know of at least 3 other people that are either working on runs or have expressed interest in it.

I have the WR at 1:22:56 right now but there is tons of room for improvement. I'm planning on doing a commentary/tutorial video to help people out who want to get into running it once I finish the D3 season journey/stop being lazy.

Overall I like the run because I have old man reactions and can't really pull off crazy movement tricks that runs of other games do, and this run is more about routing/optimization/bad RNG mitigation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5nSDgfuok

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 25, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Rokstar posted:

It seems like the speedrun community for this game is finally starting to get some legs, which is nice. There's only two people with completed runs on speedrun.com right now but I know of at least 3 other people that are either working on runs or have expressed interest in it.

I have the WR at 1:22:56 right now but there is tons of room for improvement. I'm planning on doing a commentary/tutorial video to help people out who want to get into running it once I finish the D3 season journey/stop being lazy.

Overall I like the run because I have old man reactions and can't really pull off crazy movement tricks that runs of other games do, and this run is more about routing/optimization/bad RNG mitigation.

I'd be interested in a commentary video for sure - I don't have time to watch this right now, but what do you use for a build?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting this!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have a question. At the moment on my Occultist/Shaman build I'm running Solael's Witchfire and Savagery, but I'm in a groove in my build where I'm just using skills when I have either weapon out. Neither of those are helpful then, right?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

It's crafted. The recipe is reasonably rare though.

Justin_Brett posted:

I have a question. At the moment on my Occultist/Shaman build I'm running Solael's Witchfire and Savagery, but I'm in a groove in my build where I'm just using skills when I have either weapon out. Neither of those are helpful then, right?

Neither does anything big for abilities, correct. They are an auto-attack buff and an auto-attack replacer, respectively

Technically, the % damage bonus on Solaels gets added to all abilities that do that type of damage and the flat damage on it gets added to abilities with a %weapon damage ratio in that fraction.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Foo posted:

I'd be interested in a commentary video for sure - I don't have time to watch this right now, but what do you use for a build?

Basically the fastest build by far is Trickster. The main skills in the build (in roughly the order you get them) are devouring swarm, pneumatic burst, shadow strike, NJE, and veil of shadow.

I'm still working on optimizing leveling, but as of right now at least you start off with max devouring swarm, then you get shadow strike, then max pneumatic burst. Somewhere around just before you fight the amalgamation I've started doing a respec to take the pneumatic burst points and put them in NJE because that's where your damage comes from for the second half of the run. After amalgamation priority is to re-max pneumatic burst then all remaining points go into veil because the endgame enemies will eat you alive at level 26 without a defensive skill.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 25, 2016

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Giving this game a second try and trying the pokemon build. I feel like I'm consistently falling behind level-wise with bosses being consistently way above my level and a pain to fight due to the misses/damage output. I try to explore every side area so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Mash posted:

If you go dual wield pistols and rely on Fire Strike for your damage, you can get Field Command / Squad Tactics + Oleron's Rage + Military Condition + Markovian's Advantage (all maxed) in Soldier. All are very good for your setup.

If you go 1h ranged, it's probably best to run Fire Strike early on and eventually switch to the heavily-buffed Cadence-line later on, especially once you start seeing Valdun items. That'll leave you with Demo as the support-tree, which is still nice for things like Flame-Touched / Temper + the total speed buff that I'm totally forgetting the name of + Flashbang + Blast Shield

Commando is, in most situations, the best setup for a ranged character. You didn't gimp yourself in the least. Just don't take more points in spirit than you need for jewelry (326 for endgame)

DPS is all that matters. Every build can get enough survivability from putting on the mandatory Elite Legion Headguard and grabbing some %Health on devotions.

Yeah that's entirely the opposite sort of direction from the skills I've presently chosen, but at least I can respec. I'm also wearing two pieces (helmet/cuirass) of the Wildcaller's Skins Shaman set because they're better than anything else I've found/crafted yet. Also wearing Frizzick's Utility Pack, a Ring of Vile Intent, Quickdraw Gloves and using a level 30 The Eye 2h rifle.

:torgue: My present skills are mostly aimed at throwing large amounts of explosives around, as you can see here :torgue:

so any advice on better builds is always welcome.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Deki posted:

Giving this game a second try and trying the pokemon build. I feel like I'm consistently falling behind level-wise with bosses being consistently way above my level and a pain to fight due to the misses/damage output. I try to explore every side area so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Bosses will usually be around several levels higher than you if you're playing on Veteran, as the game scales content.

The commando-soldier build I have posted in the OP is usually a fun build and should be able to get you through Veteran without much frustration. So if you haven't tried it yet, feel free to.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dahbadu posted:

Bosses will usually be around several levels higher than you if you're playing on Veteran, as the game scales content.

The commando-soldier build I have posted in the OP is usually a fun build and should be able to get you through Veteran without much frustration. So if you haven't tried it yet, feel free to.

I've tried it and I've gotten stuck at one of the bosses in act 2 regarding the priest you're sent to kill. Probably an armor issue but it's annoying juggling 8 resistances.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have 3/4 of a Dread Skull I need to craft the Savage relic, and I'm starting to think the game was just taunting me by giving me those.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah that's entirely the opposite sort of direction from the skills I've presently chosen, but at least I can respec. I'm also wearing two pieces (helmet/cuirass) of the Wildcaller's Skins Shaman set because they're better than anything else I've found/crafted yet. Also wearing Frizzick's Utility Pack, a Ring of Vile Intent, Quickdraw Gloves and using a level 30 The Eye 2h rifle.

:torgue: My present skills are mostly aimed at throwing large amounts of explosives around, as you can see here :torgue:

so any advice on better builds is always welcome.

Pick a skill as your main source of damage and focus on it. Similarly, pick a damage type (fire/physical/whatever) and focus on it. Grim Dawn is all about exponential scaling and you've got none of it

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
What's a good battlemage build for hardcore

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

very related to this game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/475150/

Titan Quest anniversary edition! Improved multiplayer, some balance fixes, integration with workshop for mods, and other technical improvements.

You will automatically have this in your steam library for FREE if you already own TQ on steam.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

You will automatically have this in your steam library for FREE if you already own TQ on steam.

:eyepop:

well OK then that's kinda awesome

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Standard Retard posted:

:eyepop:

well OK then that's kinda awesome

Yeah it was a cool surprise to wake up to this morning, especially since I'm sick as a dog today and can't do much else. I didn't even know this was being worked on.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Time for me to remember what the tank setups are.

That or decide to throw fire everywhere again.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

netcat posted:

What's a good battlemage build for hardcore

One with Maiven's Sphere, Mirror and Military Conditioning

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Crossposting from the official forums:

quote:

I'm working on a blademaster build that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm open to input on optimizing it.

Here's the GrimCalc - http://grimcalc.com/build/GqvB2hN

Here's his character sheet - http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o81/jabarto/grim%20dawn%202016-09-02%2013-28-21-39_zpsmuvy0ajg.png

And here's what he's wearing:

Weapon: Bane of the Winter King
Head - Merciless Exalted Helm of Vitality
Chest - Stonehide Exalted Platemail
Legs - Empowered Legplates of Valor
Shoulders - Exalted Shoulderplates of Nature's Bounty
Arms - Resistant Exalted Handguards of Amarasta's Flurry
Belt - Consecrated Exalted Belt of the Winter Storm
Necklace - Consecrated Imperial Necklace of Readiness*
Ring 1 - Slith Primal Ring
Ring 2 - Impervious Opal Signet of Attack
Medal - Mark of Divinity
Relic - Scourge

* Need a few more levels to equip this, using an Amulet of Attack in the meantime.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question about Amarasta's Blade Burst:

Why does the frostburn damage get so much weaker going from level 9 to 10? This didn't happen at any other level.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Mzbundifund posted:

Question about Amarasta's Blade Burst:

Why does the frostburn damage get so much weaker going from level 9 to 10? This didn't happen at any other level.

It's a bug that will be fixed in the next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
In which the person with the first recorded speedrun of this game (that I know of, anyway) is apparently a crazy person and did a pacifist act 1 hardcore run ending with a level 1 warden kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RcniRrXMvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhYIAxD9G1A

Yeah...... he can have that record. Jesus.