Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

theflyingorc posted:

It's almost like an actual scholarly article that acknowledges all those arguments but says they are dominated by other factors was posted in this very thread

edit: "it seems to make sense to my mental model, therefore it's true" is what the :biotruths: emote was created for. Don't just put forth something that sounds sensible, show it backed up by scholarship

Fair enough point, I need to find time to actually look into it more

But that article doesn't really disprove anything. It bring's up swimming, and I agree with them, well yeah Black people suck at swimming because they largely didn't(don't) have access to pools. That piece seems to talk less about physical traits and more about aptitude. How Quarterbacks are almost always white and the difference with how black and white quarterbacks are treated and what not.

Like I don't think that Black people are genetically superior to white people. Just maybe the concentrations are "out of wack" for lack of a better way to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

gfsincere posted:

Clearly race politics is not something to be discussed with a majority white audience, so let's go to something else.

Texas BBQ is terrible just like the entire state.
Nice job on dodging all the actual arguments for why your eugenics-based view is awful.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Clearly race politics is not something to be discussed with a majority white audience, so let's go to something else.

Nice meltdown. So you're never going to admit you were wrong about eugenics?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

gfsincere posted:

And yet those points seem to be glossed over to make the "you think eugenics are good!!!11!" strawmen.

Wonder why that is?

people aren't saying that you think eugenics is good, they're saying you seem to think it works at all, which is evidently a matter of some dispute

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Hey, everyone drinks out of the same fountain in Trump Tower. Can you say the same about the Clinton Foundation?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gfsincere posted:

Nice try, but literally all the black posters disagree with your stupid poo poo too.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

gfsincere posted:

And yet those points seem to be glossed over to make the "you think eugenics are good!!!11!" strawmen.

Wonder why that is?

...because that's the most shocking part of what you posted? If you post 3 things, people agree with 2 of them and not the third, why would they discuss the two they agree with.

Poster A:
"Pizza is tasty. Broken bones hurt. I believe that moon people control our presidential elections"

Poster B:
"What's this about moon people?"

Poster A:
"Ugh, why do you idiots not want to talk about pizza????"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gfsincere posted:

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

I'd personally like to see you respond more thoroughly to the jamaican african american in this thread who you accused of being an ignorant african immigrant.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dexo posted:

But that article doesn't really disprove anything. It bring's up swimming, and I agree with them, well yeah Black people suck at swimming because they largely didn't(don't) have access to pools. That piece seems to talk less about physical traits and more about aptitude. How Quarterbacks are almost always white and the difference with how black and white quarterbacks are treated and what not.
I quoted the whole post, it's not so much the article as the image of an actual scholarly article. I don't know the source on it, but it says "Yeah, a lot of those things happened, but they're not strong enough to complete change the gene pool like that"

edit: and I no joke believed the same thing you did until literally last week when somebody called me on it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Amergin posted:

If we've been breeding blacks to be good entertainers, why are so few black movies and actors nominated for Oscars?

Please explain, I'll wait.

We forgot to breed good taste into white audiences.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But thank you NN, as always.

A-as always?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

Fair enough point, I need to find time to actually look into it more

Like I don't think that Black people are genetically superior to white people. Just maybe the concentrations are "out of wack" for lack of a better way to say it.

nah because

-the selection pressure is not as strong as one might think - you can breed animals quickly if you specifically control who they mate with but enslaved people were never literally bred this way
-a couple hundred years of pressure can be undone in even less time, and it's been 160 years now since slavery
-tons of white people were also doing ag labor at this time and nobody's saying poor cracker white people became more sturdy

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Because you're the one arguing in favor of eugenics as good science. This is not talking your words out of context.

sarmhan posted:

Nice job on dodging all the actual arguments for why your eugenics-based view is awful.

When did I express that eugenics was good? I said that white people during slavery inadvertently practiced eugenics through the fact that slavery was the survival of the fittest. Like, how is this argument even being confused for something else?

Oh I know, because white people dont like confronting the fact that slavery was brutal and millions of slaves died during it, and even discussing it makes them uncomfortable, so gotta find a way to make the black guy look crazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I quoted the whole post, it's not so much the article as the image of an actual scholarly article. I don't know the source on it, but it says "Yeah, a lot of those things happened, but they're not strong enough to complete change the gene pool like that"

Sailes, G. A. (1998) African Americans in Sports: Contemporary Themes. New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers,

I googled the guy to make sure it wasn't some white supremacist or otherwise discredited racial theorist but all I got was a bunch of poo poo about sailing in Georgia.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gfsincere posted:

When did I express that eugenics was good? I said that white people during slavery inadvertently practiced eugenics through the fact that slavery was the survival of the fittest. Like, how is this argument even being confused for something else?

Oh I know, because white people dont like confronting the fact that slavery was brutal and millions of slaves died during it, and even discussing it makes them uncomfortable, so gotta find a way to make the black guy look crazy.

...one of the major reasons it wasn't effective eugenics is because of all the slave rape, so no, you're wrong on all counts.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

gfsincere posted:

You completely misunderstood what I said. I'm saying your view is awful because eugenics doesn't work from a purely science-based perspective.
Your use of 'survival of the fittest' also shows that your knowledge of evolution is incomplete at best.
Stop acting like people are attacking you on race. I'm attacking you on science.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rollofthedice posted:

I'd personally like to see you respond more thoroughly to the jamaican african american in this thread who you accused of being an ignorant african immigrant.

I already did. He hasn't said anything that I haven't responded to.

Black people in America and immigrants from the islands and Africa are completely different societies. It's white people and their racism that lump the 2 together. Might as well say Russians and Americans are the same and so a Russian should get to speak on the experience of a coal miner in WV.

That's how stupid you sound.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

This thread is composed of a majority white people unable to discuss race, says gfsincere...

...so as such i will disregard and insult any african american poster that disagrees with me

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

no this thread is just dogpiling you because you have a blatantly flawed argument and you're refusing to acknowledge it which is like a dog whistle for all the bored office drones who post here during daylight on a work day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also if slavery imbued Black Americans with mega-strength, wouldn't that, in some way make slavery a good thing for future generations? That seems a weird conclusion to draw.

gfsincere posted:

Because you're wrong that the selective breeding of slaves and the deaths of slaves working caused long term genetics change to Black Americans in a way that equates to "being stronger" or better at sports.

I can accept slavery was horrible and still reject your anti-science claims.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

...one of the major reasons it wasn't effective eugenics is because of all the slave rape, so no, you're wrong on all counts.

When did I say it was completely super effective or that slave rape didn't happen?

Where the gently caress are all these strawmen coming from???

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

gfsincere posted:

Black people in America and immigrants from the islands and Africa are completely different societies. It's white people and their racism that lump the 2 together. Might as well say Russians and Americans are the same and so a Russian should get to speak on the experience of a coal miner in WV.

Actually, you're the one assuming that the caribbean islands are one to one comparable to an entire continent separated from America by the second largest ocean in the world.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 22, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

gfsincere posted:

neither of the posts you quoted are even saying that you think eugenics is good, as in a moral net positive. One is saying you think it's good (i.e. provable) science, and there are several posts explaining why it isn't good science. One is saying your view of this topic being based on eugenics is awful. Which there are also several posts discussing . . .

No one is accusing you of thinking eugenics is the right thing to do. Just that you seem to think that it occurred, and there's substantial evidence to the contrary

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

But shouldn't Jamaicans be even more super buff according to your anti-science theory?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

gfsincere posted:

When did I say it was completely super effective or that slave rape didn't happen?

Oh come on, you can't misquote someone when their words are right above your post, can you

Your entire argument is flawed because eugenics doesn't work.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

if it's not super effective then how does it lead to racial dominance in pro sports in the present day

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

In the same vein, I caught a tirade on CNN earlier this morning where a Trump surrogate was insisting that NO CLINTON IS INEXPERIENCED AND BAD AND WOULD BE FIRED. The host looked pretty perplexed by the whole thing and it was hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress is this argument

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

Nice try, but literally all the black posters disagree with your stupid poo poo too.

It's like 3 of us, and if you think that's enough to say "literally all the black people disagree" you're an idiot.

You basically did the "my black friend" argument. You def earned your username.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the gently caress is this argument

slavery -> super-soldier, somehow

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

As multiple people have stated in this thread

A) You're making the argument that eugenics works which is already a controversial statement that you tried to back up with GMOs which isn't the same thing
B) You're making the even more flawed argument that slavery would function like an actual eugenics program and that 'only the strong survived' which is demonstrably untrue and thus even if you accepted Eugenics as true (a stretch to begin with) the end result is what you think.

"White people are lovely, hosed up and the root cause of a lot of trouble in this country" is unarguable and true. The weird eugenics poo poo is not.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gfsincere posted:

...what is wrong with you

The fact that we're acknowledging the slave rape is a counterpoint to your argument that we're sweeping slavery under the bus.

There is no evidence that slavery had a significant impact on the genetic trends of modern African Americans. I agree that you have a hypothesis, now provide someone who actually did a study and showed that it was so.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gfsincere posted:

You sound even stupider for honestly claiming that being a Jamaican immigrant means I have lived in some kind of island utterly bereft of contact with AfAms. Do you think when we immigrated to here we were in some gated Jamaican community? No. It was loving anacostia dc.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rollofthedice posted:

Actually, you're the one assuming that the caribbean islands are one to one comparable to an entire continent separated from America by the second largest ocean in the world..

They would have more commonality than black people in America, by virtue of having their own country.

And I never said they are one and the same. They are 3 distinct groups. Hell, not all black people in America are the same. Ones who pretty much have their entire lineage above the Mason Dixon are pretty different from the ones who have their entire lineage south of it.

You should learn more about the diaspora before you engage me on this.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Business Gorillas posted:

Let me take some time and talk about how the Aryans are the superior white man due to thousands of years of harsh Scandanavian winters and the brutal physical strength needed to swinging axes and rowing longboats up various fjords and rivers

I worked with a economics (of course) professor who literally subscribed to this. But because it was getting more and more clear to him, that people was catching on that he was a racist rear end in a top hat, he changed the narrative slightly (inspired by some fascist douche I cannot recall), and it was no longer genetics, but rather social/cultural. So because of the long winters, the 'culture' of the Scandinavian (read: white person), have an ingrained a need to 'save up' and accumulate (like saving corn and such for the winter) and that's why western countries are so much better of, economically speaking, than African countries. I asked him how that possibly could still be relevant, what about the exploitation of Africa, and how does he explain china and japan, and he gave a similarly racists story which I have the great fortune of having forgot. I also asked him how exactly the culture is inherited. This, btw, was the tortured logic he also used to explain why it would be bad for western countries to get more immigrants. They are not as good workers, so therefore the GDP would decrease, leading to less growth, meaning that the western countries couldn't contribute as much to the foreign aid, therefore in the end costing the developing countries more. Finally, in his economists opinion, one of the biggest problems with Hitler was that he given eugenics a bad name, so now it was taboo, even though it would clearly benefit mankind as a whole. I tried, many, many times to explain to him that eugenics actually didn't work, from a biological perspective, he was convinced and he would find some hack pseudo-science which supported his claim. I eventually gave up and pissed in his beers instead.

sarmhan posted:

You completely misunderstood what I said. I'm saying your view is awful because eugenics doesn't work from a purely science-based perspective.
Your use of 'survival of the fittest' also shows that your knowledge of evolution is incomplete at best.

Are you saying black people are stupid? Because that's pretty racist.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

gfsincere posted:

They would have more commonality than black people in America, by virtue of having their own country.

And I never said they are one and the same. They are 3 distinct groups. Hell, not all black people in America are the same. Ones who pretty much have their entire lineage above the Mason Dixon are pretty different from the ones who have their entire lineage south of it.

You should learn more about the diaspora before you engage me on this.
You're still dodging the majority of the arguments people are making. But keep on trucking.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Are you saying black people are stupid? Because that's pretty racist.
Unrelated, but people should really stop using the 'you don't have a full understanding of X equals you are stupid' equivocation. A gap in knowledge isn't something to be ashamed about nor should it reflect on your intellect.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Because you say things that directly contradict other things you say. Bolding mine above and below, just for one example.

gfsincere posted:

I feel like this only applies to white people. Those of us forcibly brought here then bred like GMOs for 400 years are probably much better than those who came through Ellis Island, one of the reasons white America pretty much doesn't want black people to have a even field of access to opportunities.

And keep arguing about genetics.

Edit- you also don't understand that "good" science doesn't mean "moral" science.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Redguards, formerly known as the Yokudans, are a race of humans who hail from the lost continent of Yokuda and now reside primarily in the province of Hammerfell. Their name is derived from the corruption of the native Yokudan term "Ra Gada," which (translated loosely) means "warrior wave." Due to their swift and decisive conquest of Hammerfell, the Redguards are renowned as arguably the most fierce, versatile and naturally gifted warriors in all of Tamriel. Their ferocity and versatility is also manifested in their personality, which lends itself to why they are most effective as scouts and in small units as opposed to being deployed as rank and file soldiers.

The Redguard's innate agility and prolific level of endurance allows them to excel in any activity that demands sustained effort, most notably combat. They are likewise blessed with a very hardy constitution that allows them to resist poison and disease.

The Redguards skin tone can range from light brown to black and their hair texture ranges from thick and wavy to tightly curled and wiry. Redguards are also largely average in height, well muscled and sturdy, much like the Nords and the Orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gfsincere posted:

It's like 3 of us, and if you think that's enough to say "literally all the black people disagree" you're an idiot.

You basically did the "my black friend" argument. You def earned your username.

Rofl, yeah ok. It's cool to admit your argument is loving pathetic you know. Oh, and try typing a post without the word 'strawman'.

• Locked thread