Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gfsincere posted:

I've met far too many African immigrants that came post CRA that truly believe that the only reason there are black ghettos is because black Americans are lazy and dumb. I had to punch a dude in the face in the Marines from the Congo that truly believed that to be fact.

gfsincere posted:

Personal experience =\= historical experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Popular Thug Drink posted:

most slaves chose who they bred with (well, the men did at least) and less-strong slaves weren't culled or discarded, they were just tasked with less demanding labor such as domestic work, cooking, tending animals, processing crops, etc. it's not like only strong slaves were allowed to breed or that a slave's price equated to genetic fitness rather than profitability - slaves with particular skills commanded more money, like smiths

Wasn't it also not until after the revolution that cotton became the centerpiece of slavery? Maybe I'm remembering wrong or got bad information, but my understanding was that cotton wasn't a good cash cow before the cotton gin, meaning that our picture of American slavery as being all cotton-picking-related was only true for 50-60 years?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

disjoe posted:

gfsincere posted:

I had to punch a dude in the face in the Marines from the Congo that truly believed that to be fact.
:stare: I don't know much about the context based on what you posted, but maybe you should really look into getting some help for your own sake.

Please get therapy gfsincere.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

OTP. In this weird area where I'm claimed by East Point, College Park, or Atlanta, depending on what we're discussing. I'm 12 minutes west of the airport and a mile south of Camp Creek.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

Wasn't it also not until after the revolution that cotton became the centerpiece of slavery? Maybe I'm remembering wrong or got bad information, but my understanding was that cotton wasn't a good cash cow before the cotton gin, meaning that our picture of American slavery as being all cotton-picking-related was only true for 50-60 years?

correct, slavery in the US was on a decline until the cotton gin in the early 1800's, this is a big reason why climate was a driver for the north/south split on slavery, as slavery was really only profitable on a wide scale in the south

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Redguards, formerly known as the Yokudans, are a race of humans who hail from the lost continent of Yokuda and now reside primarily in the province of Hammerfell. Their name is derived from the corruption of the native Yokudan term "Ra Gada," which (translated loosely) means "warrior wave." Due to their swift and decisive conquest of Hammerfell, the Redguards are renowned as arguably the most fierce, versatile and naturally gifted warriors in all of Tamriel. Their ferocity and versatility is also manifested in their personality, which lends itself to why they are most effective as scouts and in small units as opposed to being deployed as rank and file soldiers.

The Redguard's innate agility and prolific level of endurance allows them to excel in any activity that demands sustained effort, most notably combat. They are likewise blessed with a very hardy constitution that allows them to resist poison and disease.

The Redguards skin tone can range from light brown to black and their hair texture ranges from thick and wavy to tightly curled and wiry. Redguards are also largely average in height, well muscled and sturdy, much like the Nords and the Orcs.

All the Elder Scrolls racial discrepancies can easily be explained by culture over genetics.

Except perhaps for any race with a bonus or malus in intelligence, but honestly that's more of an abstraction of spell-casting ability than it is a measure of a race's intellect, in which case it makes sense for elves and half elves to be adept at it and martial races like Redguards, Nords, and Orcs to lag behind.

Honestly this is a better conversation than the one currently going on so you know what, let's have it. TamrielPol.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

quote:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

OTP. In this weird area where I'm claimed by East Point, College Park, or Atlanta, depending on what we're discussing. I'm 12 minutes west of the airport and a mile south of Camp Creek.

i judge this acceptable, if not a little gross because otp

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

gfsincere posted:

like growing up in the house with a grandmother who couldn't vote until her mid 20s,

grandma couldnt vote till she became a citizen in her early 60s.

gfsincere posted:

or a grandfather who had dogs and hoses put on him in the south. You didn't grow up with that.

I had neighbors who did and thanks to multigenerational homes being The Thing Black People Do i got to meet these people. oh and, like, i worked with african american art museums for several years. curated an exhibit about civil rights art even!

gfsincere posted:

That's what I mean about the difference.

all these differences you're hoarding are things that can be easily experienced simply by being black in america and living among black americans. both things i have done and still do!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

:stare: I don't know much about the context based on what you posted, but maybe you should really look into getting some help for your own sake.

[/quote]

Yes, it's the black person that needs therapy for being sick and tired of white supremacy.

Go gently caress yourself.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I had to look this up but yes. Apparently cotton production increased by about 25 times between 1791 and 1801 because of the cotton gin's invention in 1793.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Imperialism is responsible for the collapse of the classic government and belief systems of the Dunmer.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

well you see, since we're typing this on a popular forum, our anecdotes are now recorded history

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Yes, it's the black person that needs therapy for being sick and tired of white supremacy.

You are taking your "sick and tired of white supremacy" and using it as a cudgel to be a dick to people. It's definitely you, not the world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gfsincere posted:

quote:

Go gently caress yourself.

Yeaaaah, but still random acts of violence to someone spouting some bullshit they heard probably isn't the most well adjusted way to handle it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

nutranurse posted:

all these differences you're hoarding are things that can be easily experienced simply by being black in america and living among black americans. both things i have done and still do!
In his world, I'm picturing a cab starting to pull away from you and slamming the brakes when you yell "WAIT I ACTUALLY IMMIGRATED, YOU ARE RACISMING THE WRONG PERSON!"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

All the Elder Scrolls racial discrepancies can easily be explained by culture over genetics.

Except perhaps for any race with a bonus or malus in intelligence, but honestly that's more of an abstraction of spell-casting ability than it is a measure of a race's intellect, in which case it makes sense for elves and half elves to be adept at it and martial races like Redguards, Nords, and Orcs to lag behind.

Honestly this is a better conversation than the one currently going on so you know what, let's have it. TamrielPol.

I still don't understand the plot of Skyrim besides "DRAGONS!!!!1!1" and honestly that was good enough for me to put 200 hours in.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I make my cornbread with white corn meal and I don't heat the oil before mixing it in. I heat the batter in a cast iron skillet for a couple minutes before putting it in the oven.

I really like putting blackeyed peas (made hoppin john style, but without rice obviously) on top of cornbread and breaking it all up and mixing it together. Alternatively, I'll cut open the cornbread biscuit-style and eat it with butter and jelly.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

You are taking your "sick and tired of white supremacy" and using it as a cudgel to be a dick to people. It's definitely you, not the world.

Being a dick to white people that have disingenuous conversations about race in America isn't a bad thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

I still don't understand the plot of Skyrim besides "DRAGONS!!!!1!1" and honestly that was good enough for me to put 200 hours in.

Can we talking about things in this thread other than the many things you don't understand?

gfsincere posted:

Being a dick to white people that have disingenuous conversations about race in America isn't a bad thing.

Loooooooool

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

In his world, I'm picturing a cab starting to pull away from you and slamming the brakes when you yell "WAIT I ACTUALLY IMMIGRATED, YOU ARE RACISMING THE WRONG PERSON!"

I tattooed a Jamaican flag on my face to let the world know I'm not one of those american blacks and cabs havent been a problem since!

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

gfsincere posted:

There is so much anti-black propaganda put out by white America to the rest of the world that it's insane, and you don't really notice it until you leave this country and see that black Americans are only portrayed one way.

As Will Smith? That seems like a pretty positive portrayal to me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

sarmhan posted:

I had to look this up but yes. Apparently cotton production increased by about 25 times between 1791 and 1801 because of the cotton gin's invention in 1793.

I actually learned something from the earlier post, I had literally never thought about slaves having a trade before. It makes sense, unskilled free labor isnt' as valuable as skilled free labor. But in my mind I never actually imagined a slave smith

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gfsincere posted:

Another thing you only have a cursory understanding of?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

gfsincere posted:

You're also having disingenuous conversations about race in America with other black people, though.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nutranurse posted:

grandma couldnt vote till she became a citizen in her early 60s.

I had neighbors who did and thanks to multigenerational homes being The Thing Black People Do i got to meet these people. oh and, like, i worked with african american art museums for several years. curated an exhibit about civil rights art even!

To be fair, you may be very well educated and familiar with black people and our experiences but no one will ever truly know what it feels like to be black in america, unless you are actually black in America. And that experience even varies when you bring in topics like colorism, misogynoir, etc.

And I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, or claim that you've said "I know what it's like! I've done x, y, z" but its venturing close to that territory and I have actually heard people say "I know what it's like! I lived wih black people!" etc

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

gfsincere posted:

Since you never grew up white let me educate you on our culture:

We don't appreciate you being a dick, and that won't make us dislike black people any less.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

nutranurse posted:

You're also having disingenuous conversations about race in America with other black people, though.

It's white people's fault if he's a dick to you, they just make him so angry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DaneCook/status/767736086298779648

I trust that settles the question about which side we're on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Nah, you heard him, immigrants aren't real black people, apparently.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AlouetteNR posted:

As Will Smith? That seems like a pretty positive portrayal to me.

I mean ehhh Will Smith doesn't really have the best track record of helping other black actors who have been marginalized, and underpaid

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

i judge this acceptable, if not a little gross because otp

Wait, what's so bad about OTP? My family lives in Austell. It seems like a nice area.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I personally would never vote for an Argonian President. Most, I assume, are good people but their allegiance to the Hist trees is an open question and I'm uncomfortable with that.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

With American ingenuity we can set a river on fire!

:siren: CLEVELAND NATIONALISM TRIGGERED! :siren:

Cleveland gets a bad rap for this. People imagine "Lol that lovely city was so polluted that all the water became a towing inferno". In reality, A steel mill leaked a little oil onto the river that caught on fire between two bridges briefly. Nobody bothered to take a picture and it barely made the local newspapers. But time magazine (The gawker of its day) hosed it up for everyone by publishing a picture of a ship very on fire from 17 years beforehand, and the myth caught on from there.

Bejing deserves clevelands reputation for terrible pollution. Its actually a beautiful city where they managed to not knock down all the trees and vegetation as it was developed, so its called "The forest city"

Compare this photo to downtown Houston or Phoenix

but the lake is indeed, loving gross

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 22, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

disjoe posted:

I personally would never vote for an Argonian President. Most, I assume, are good people but their allegiance to the Hist trees is an open question and I'm uncomfortable with that.
Everyone knows Khajit are all skoomaheads, you can't trust them to make sound decisions.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Like a lot of anamosity does exist between the various black immigrant communities and the various afam communities. Those divides are unavoidable since black people are not a monolith. But at the same time if we look at it on a generational level a lot of that animosity's being eroded by pan-black movements across the country because, despite whatever you may think, most black immigrants realize they'll be shot dead by cops as readily as black people whose families have been here for centuries.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Koalas March posted:

To be fair, you may be very well educated and familiar with black people and our experiences but no one will ever truly know what it feels like to be black in america, unless you are actually black in America. And that experience even varies when you bring in topics like colorism, misogynoir, etc.

And I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, or claim that you've said "I know what it's like! I've done x, y, z" but its venturing close to that territory and I have actually heard people say "I know what it's like! I lived wih black people!" etc

I am black in america.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

Dexo posted:

I mean ehhh Will Smith doesn't really have the best track record of helping other black actors who have been marginalized, and underpaid

Oh goddamnit, is today the day I find out Will Smith is actually a terrible person?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

nutranurse posted:

I am black in america.

i feel like this is bordering on requiring the resurrection of the zoux photo at this rate to get thsi int oan even more absurd stratosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dexo posted:

Also Will Smith and Jaden Smith in After Earth made me wish for universal human extinction.

• Locked thread