Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DaneCook/status/767736086298779648

I trust that settles the question about which side we're on.

The first time something Dane Cook said has ended in a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlouetteNR posted:

Oh goddamnit, is today the day I find out Will Smith is actually a terrible person?

He's a secret scientologist.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

grandma couldnt vote till she became a citizen in her early 60s.

I had neighbors who did and thanks to multigenerational homes being The Thing Black People Do i got to meet these people. oh and, like, i worked with african american art museums for several years. curated an exhibit about civil rights art even!

all these differences you're hoarding are things that can be easily experienced simply by being black in america and living among black americans. both things i have done and still do!

Yes because your grandmas situation and mine are exactly the same.

You can't be serious about that point.

Meeting those people =\= actually being those people. I'm guessing since I lived in Senegal for a year that means I get to speak on all of their experiences then!

Also unless you have a time machine, how do you supposed to experience the totality of black experience in America? Curating an exhibit doesn't equal being raised with the people who lived what it was about.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I love that every time an argument like this happens the final resting place is basically "well my situation isn't specifically yours so you can't possibly understand."

Although this one has the lovely epilogue of also getting called racist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Meeting those people =\= actually being those people.

Also unless you have a time machine, how do you supposed to experience the totality of black experience in America? Curating an exhibit doesn't equal being raised with the people who lived what it was about.

No true blacksman.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

quote:

Yes, it's the black person that needs therapy for being sick and tired of white supremacy.

Go gently caress yourself.

Yeaaaah, but still random acts of violence to someone spouting some bullshit they heard probably isn't the most well adjusted way to handle it.

It's this. I want to dismantle white supremacy. There are times, even days or weeks I'm so angry that I can't even begin to convey here on a forum. But I use it to make a positive change. Yeah sometimes I go off, call people crackers and uncle toms and poo poo but that poor impulse control and something I'm dealing with in therapy. And it helps.

White supremacy deserves to be smashed. I'm cool with bashing active/violent fascists too. But you need to control your anger and only use violence when it's appropriate. You also need to stop claiming things that aren't true, because as I said before, posting fallacies only demeans and overshadows all the other atrocities that have been and are continuing to be done to us.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AlouetteNR posted:

Oh goddamnit, is today the day I find out Will Smith is actually a terrible person?

I wouldn't say bad person, just not quite as good as people tend to paint him as.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm praying for Trump to gently caress up again because jesus christ, this thread

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm praying for Trump to gently caress up again because jesus christ, this thread

At least he's still doing Really lovely. :sun:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
When did US Politics become about slavery? I don't understand how Hillary still has emails leaking out of everywhere. Does the FBI Director have something against her or something?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Haha "control your anger," where have I heard that before

gfsincere posted:

There is so much anti-black propaganda put out by white America to the rest of the world that it's insane, and you don't really notice it until you leave this country and see that black Americans are only portrayed one way.

"Blacks were bred to have super-strength and agility" is a good example of that propaganda.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A play in three acts.

https://twitter.com/Zac_Penton/status/738868491688644608

https://twitter.com/Zac_Penton/status/766855751570628608

https://twitter.com/abc15/status/767723858296238080

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meh, I think this conversation is pretty interesting even if I don't necessarily agree with his whole view on things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

:siren: CLEVELAND NATIONALISM TRIGGERED! :siren:

Cleveland gets a bad rap for this. People imagine "Lol that lovely city was so polluted that all the water became a towing inferno". In reality, A steel mill leaked a little oil onto the river that caught on fire between two bridges briefly. Nobody bothered to take a picture and it barely made the local newspapers. But time magazine (The gawker of its day) hosed it up for everyone by publishing a picture of a ship very on fire from 17 years beforehand, and the myth caught on from there.

Bejing deserves clevelands reputation for terrible pollution. Its actually a beautiful city where they managed to not knock down all the trees and vegetation as it was developed, so its called "The forest city"

Compare this photo to downtown Houston or Phoenix

but the lake is indeed, loving gross

The river caught fire at least 13 times. The Times' photograph was of a river fire, not a boat fire, but it was the '52 river fire not the '69 river fire.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

Meeting those people =\= actually being those people. I'm guessing since I lived in Senegal for a year that means I get to speak on all of their experiences then!

I find it odd that you accuse someone of not being able to speak of a community's experiences and opinions, and simultaneously claim to have a total and encyclopedic knowledge of what blacks from other countries think of african americans.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nutranurse posted:

I am black in america.

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I must have misread your posts (I'm a little sick, it's hard to concentrate) I thought you were a Chinese immigrant for some reason, haha.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Like a lot of anamosity does exist between the various black immigrant communities and the various afam communities. Those divides are unavoidable since black people are not a monolith. But at the same time if we look at it on a generational level a lot of that animosity's being eroded by pan-black movements across the country because, despite whatever you may think, most black immigrants realize they'll be shot dead by cops as readily as black people whose families have been here for centuries.

The last part is false, especially among the children of African immigrants in corporate America, especially if they went to a PWI.

But come on over for a beer sometime and we can chat it up in person.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

Wait, what's so bad about OTP? My family lives in Austell. It seems like a nice area.

otp is bad georgia. we stay inside the moat. ESPECIALLY cobb loving county

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dexo posted:

Meh, I think this conversation is pretty interesting even if I don't necessarily agree with his whole view on things.
I would find it better if gfsincere wasn't completely unwilling to engage on the science side of what he's saying. There's a lot of misconceptions about evolution and eugenics encapsulated there.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sarmhan posted:

I had to look this up but yes. Apparently cotton production increased by about 25 times between 1791 and 1801 because of the cotton gin's invention in 1793.

Also, here's another really good reason why selective breeding didn't have any effect on the final gene pool of African Americans (from the wiki article on the cotton gin):

quote:

The number of slaves rose in concert with the increase in cotton production, increasing from around 700,000 in 1790 to around 3.2 million in 1850.
~4/5ths of all American slaves in 1850 came over since 1790. That means that ~80% of slaves at that time would have had less than 60 years to be "selectively bred". That's just 4-5 generations AT THE MOST for 80% of American slaves, and 15 years later slavery was illegal. Many of them would have only had like 2 generations.

There's simply not enough time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

When did US Politics become about slavery?

about 1776 or so

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gfsincere posted:

Dude, you've never lived through the civil rights era so by your logic you can't possible understand what that's all about. So either shut up, accept no one ever but 1st hand accounts should speak about something, we can be done with this conversation and all conversations while we are at it, or you can stop being a disingenuous little poo poo and realize human beings, even us black immigrant ones, are capable of empathy and have imaginations.

Yes, curating an exhibit really does equal being raised with people who lived what it was about to some extent. What would you have got that I didn't? Detailed meandering stories? Check. Love and appreciation for those whose shoulders you stand on? Check. Beatings? loving check--david c driskell slapped me upside my head once and goddamnit that is an honor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't wait for October when Clinton gets swiftboated by a bunch of angry white women claiming that they personally saw her vivisect a baby or something. Or hahaha they'll claim that she slept with a black guy, and that'll be a huge scandal to the republicans but everyone else will be like "so?"

e: jesus christ thread what the gently caress is this, we had nice food chat last night and the self-hating british guy kept making ironic remarks, and then you ruined that with this?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Well, that's succinct

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Also, here's another really good reason why selective breeding didn't have any effect on the final gene pool of African Americans (from the wiki article on the cotton gin):

~4/5ths of all American slaves in 1850 came over since 1790. That means that ~80% of slaves at that time would have had less than 60 years to be "selectively bred". That's just 4-5 generations AT THE MOST for 80% of American slaves, and 15 years later slavery was illegal. Many of them would have only had like 2 generations.

There's simply not enough time.
Yep. This is what I was getting at when I said the timescale was all wrong.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

:eyepop:

That reads like satire.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm Zac (unicode hammer and sickle)

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rollofthedice posted:

I find it odd that you accuse someone of not being able to speak of a community's experiences and opinions, and simultaneously claim to have a total and encyclopedic knowledge of what blacks from other countries think of african americans.

Once again, I've lived in those other countries and had so so many conversations about the differences in the black experience, both here and abroad. Hell, Nigerians don't like other Nigerians from different tribes and have different experiences even though they are from the same city in the same country.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

Dude, you've never lived through the civil rights era so by your logic you can't possible understand what that's all about.

oh speaking of John Lewis is rumored to be doing a meet & greet at manny's next saturday

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

e: jesus christ thread what the gently caress is this, we had nice food chat last night and the self-hating british guy kept making ironic remarks, and then you ruined that with this?

Thankfully we can now meander into gunchat.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

about 1776 or so

We have a President of the United States, the most powerful man in the world, who is black. There hasn't been an Asian American or Latino American that has been even close to that kind of position. As one of those minorities I don't know what all he bellyaching is about really.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gfsincere posted:

The last part is false, especially among the children of African immigrants in corporate America, especially if they went to a PWI.

It's not, but please keep using your poo poo experiences with the children of african immigrants in corporate america (gee that must be a huge demographic) to lambaste everyone else.

I don't meet goons.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Oh God, I laughed.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

You rat bastard I came here to make this identical word-for-word post

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Once again, I've lived in those other countries and had so so many conversations about the differences in the black experience, both here and abroad. Hell, Nigerians don't like other Nigerians from different tribes and have different experiences even though they are from the same city in the same country.

Meeting those people =\= actually being those people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

gfsincere posted:

You can't be serious about that point.

Meeting those people =\= actually being those people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sarmhan posted:

Yep. This is what I was getting at when I said the timescale was all wrong.

Yeah, you were right, but I thought you were talking about 12-13 generations, but it's important to note that for like half the slave population, it was literally 1 or 2 generations. It's even crazier than it sounds at first glance

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dexo posted:

The best arguments against slavery eugenics doing anything are a) the ridiculously awful amount of raping of slaves by white people that went on continuously the whole time, and b) the constant influx of new slaves from Africa being thrown into the mix. Any selective breeding program that did exist would be completely derailed by those things (and neither of those things paint white slavers in a more flattering light...)

Also, "genetic fitness" is really a moving target. The slave populations were spread out over a huge area with different climates, different types of forced labor, different indigenous diseases, and so on. It's not like descendants of slaves fit one physical template, either; stupid white people aside African-Americans are diverse as all hell in height, build, appearance, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

I cannot shake the feeling that you are unwilling to consider that african immigrants have eyes, and ears, and stay abreast of the news, and have the brains to comprehend that skin color is more of a determiner of their likelihood to get murdered by white people in America than any country of origin.

• Locked thread