Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

im starting to feel like we need a reverse paper bag test to post itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

That would be amazing if that dude didn't actually kill them and this was all just really unfortunate.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It should be illegal to sell a gun to someone whose prefrontal cortex is still wet cement.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Why would anybody go out of their way to meet somebody who admits to punching people who are wrong about stuff? Why would you want to go drinking with that person?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

Once again, I've lived in those other countries and had so so many conversations about the differences in the black experience, both here and abroad. Hell, Nigerians don't like other Nigerians from different tribes and have different experiences even though they are from the same city in the same country.

According to your own metric, op, your conversations don't mean poo poo because you don't know what it's like to be Nigerian and as such you can't fully understand their experiences and grasp the full nature of their opinions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It should be illegal to sell a gun to someone whose prefrontal cortex is still wet cement.

So a racist test before you buy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also: always follow your roommates on Twitter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

that would just be a paper bag test

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

sean10mm posted:

The best arguments against slavery eugenics doing anything are a) the ridiculously awful amount of raping of slaves by white people that went on continuously the whole time, and b) the constant influx of new slaves from Africa being thrown into the mix. Any selective breeding program that did exist would be completely derailed by those things (and neither of those things paint white slavers in a more flattering light...)

Also, "genetic fitness" is really a moving target. The slave populations were spread out over a huge area with different climates, different types of forced labor, different indigenous diseases, and so on. It's not like descendants of slaves fit one physical template, either; stupid white people aside African-Americans are diverse as all hell in height, build, appearance, and so on.
Don't forget the regular destruction of family units by slave owners, when they tore apart marriages so they could sell one a husband/wife/their kids to some other plantation owner.
Eugenics don't work, and selective breeding doesn't work on this generational timescale, especially with all the confounding factors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

that would just be a paper bag test

A reverse paper bag test is you have to literally find a paper bag and turn it in

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Dude, you've never lived through the civil rights era so by your logic you can't possible understand what that's all about. So either shut up, accept no one ever but 1st hand accounts should speak about something, we can be done with this conversation and all conversations while we are at it, or you can stop being a disingenuous little poo poo and realize human beings, even us black immigrant ones, are capable of empathy and have imaginations.

Yes, curating an exhibit really does equal being raised with people who lived what it was about to some extent. What would you have got that I didn't? Detailed meandering stories? Check. Love and appreciation for those whose shoulders you stand on? Check. Beatings? loving check--david c driskell slapped me upside my head once and goddamnit that is an honor.

poo poo like this is why black Americans don't like black immigrants on the highest of keys. It's really not the goddamn same. You think your immigrant experience adds up to growing up in the projects of Chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther, and you're displaying all of the traits we list when we encounter y'all. You act like you know everything about our experience without living none of it and you come off just as hosed up as the white people that we complain about, especially with that snide rear end "you think we don't have empathy" comment, which oddly enough your posts make it seem like you lack all of it, including any sort of tact, because you're def breaking rule number 1 right now and that's how I know you and I aren't in the same group.

Oh you got spanked? Guess that means we are the same! I had dinner with Dick Gregory in Ferguson, so checkmate?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

fits my needs posted:

We have a President of the United States, the most powerful man in the world, who is black. There hasn't been an Asian American or Latino American that has been even close to that kind of position. As one of those minorities I don't know what all he bellyaching is about really.

Oh we got a "black" president, guess that means racism is over folks!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

poo poo like this is why black Americans don't like black immigrants on the highest of keys. It's really not the goddamn same. You think your immigrant experience adds up to growing up in the projects of Chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther, and you're displaying all of the traits we list when we encounter y'all. You act like you know everything about our experience without living none of it and you come off just as hosed up as the white people that we complain about, especially with that snide rear end "you think we don't have empathy" comment, which oddly enough your posts make it seem like you lack all of it, including any sort of tact, because you're def breaking rule number 1 right now and that's how I know you and I aren't in the same group.

Oh you got spanked? Guess that means we are the same! I had dinner with Dick Gregory in Ferguson, so checkmate?

Haha this is a bunch of holier than thou poo poo from someone who's claiming eugenics made him super buff

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SedanChair posted:

A-as always?

I greatly appreciate NN's contribution to these here forums.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

wouldn't this mean that a black kid who grew up in a comfy mixed race suburb isn't really black

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rollofthedice posted:

According to your own metric, op, your conversations don't mean poo poo because you don't know what it's like to be Nigerian and as such you can't fully understand their experiences and grasp the full nature of their opinions.

What a bad strawman, especially since my argument was that I don't speak on their experiences and shut the gently caress up when they do, so nutranurse should practice the same.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Mayo test

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

You need help. I recommend therapy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

gfsincere posted:

I still don't understand the plot of Skyrim besides "DRAGONS!!!!1!1" and honestly that was good enough for me to put 200 hours in.
For those not in the know (because it's not like this thread could get worse):
During the chaos caused by the events in Oblivion the empire basically left the provinces to their own devices. The group responsible for dealing with the demon gates in high elf land used their hard earned popularity to seize control of the country. They're a bunch of vicious fascists who then proceeded to convert various other provinces info allies by helping them with their demon gates, then kicking off a huge war against the empire, which they won handily. They forced surrender conditions on the imperial government that were specifically designed to rile up the ultra nationalists in Skyrim--which had been largely unaffected by the war--to try to provoke a civil war. It works. They proceed to covertly fund and arm the rebels CIA style.

Meanwhile an ancient dragon pops into this plane of existence after temporal displacement centuries earlier by folks too wimpy to beat him the hard way. It proceeds to fly around resurrecting its kin and generally causing havok for no actual practical reason. The player is forced to deal with this because of the civil unrest tying up the empire's military, combined with the elf fascists having all but wiped out the imperial secret police, who have been inexplicably retconned into being champion dragon hunters, despite years spent by the devs telling people the games would never have you fight a dragon because the empire considered them sacred.

The Redguards, who are based on the Moors, managed to deal with their own problems AND keep the elves out, and are in fact carrying out both overt and covert operations against the elves in Skyrim and elsewhere. Expect Hammerfel to be the setting of the next game, both for its importance in recent events, and because it's the only human-majority province that's never been featured in a main series TES game (only a spin-off adventure game).

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 22, 2016

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

sarmhan posted:

I'm Zac (unicode hammer and sickle)

I'm so changing my legal name to that

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

So a racist test before you buy?

No more like no guns for impulsive shitheads under the age of 25.

Or at the very least don't make gun procurement so easy that some dipshit feels the need to post on Twitter about how goddamn effortless it is.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Haha this is a bunch of holier than thou poo poo from someone who's claiming eugenics made him super buff

gently caress outta here with this bullshit strawman. When did I EVER say that? Please point it out or forever shut the gently caress up.

Don't you have a Trump rally to attend today? Don't forget your white sheet!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gfsincere posted:

poo poo like this is why black Americans don't like black immigrants on the highest of keys. It's really not the goddamn same. You think your immigrant experience adds up to growing up in the projects of Chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther, and you're displaying all of the traits we list when we encounter y'all. You act like you know everything about our experience without living none of it and you come off just as hosed up as the white people that we coomplain about, especially with that snide rear end "you think we don't have empathy" comment, which oddly enough your posts make it seem like you lack all of it, including any sort of tact, because you're def breaking rule number 1 right now and that's how I know you and I aren't in the same group.

No, I think my immigrant experience of growing up in the projects of DC with a neighbor who was a black panther adds up to growing up in the projects of chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther.

I've lived this poo poo. I've repeated this many times. You don't seem to be getting that you and I had more or less the same experience (if that experience is: poor as gently caress childhood, woo we made it out of the ghetto teens, and ok we are not 1 missed paycheck away from losing the house adulthood)

You're displaying the intransigent love of your own oppression that non-AfAms notice in AfAms. It hobbles you, dude, and prevents you from making meaningful connections with people who honestly have lived out the same/similar poo poo as you because 'oh, woe is me, you will never get me. so don't talk to me about my problems.' It reads like livejournal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gfsincere posted:

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sean10mm posted:

The best arguments against slavery eugenics doing anything are a) the ridiculously awful amount of raping of slaves by white people that went on continuously the whole time, and b) the constant influx of new slaves from Africa being thrown into the mix. Any selective breeding program that did exist would be completely derailed by those things (and neither of those things paint white slavers in a more flattering light...)

Also, "genetic fitness" is really a moving target. The slave populations were spread out over a huge area with different climates, different types of forced labor, different indigenous diseases, and so on. It's not like descendants of slaves fit one physical template, either; stupid white people aside African-Americans are diverse as all hell in height, build, appearance, and so on.

I don't think there was some program or anything, just maybe that people who survive the trip and off the minimal sustenance they were provided was a "passive" influence on the concentration of those traits in american black people.

I could be wrong and admit I probably should do more research(which is why I like this thread as they have given me some paths to follow down).

Even if someone is wrong conversations with them can bring about interesting information I didn't otherwise know(the Cotton Gin stuff)

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For those not in the know (because it's not like this thread could get worse):
During the chaos caused by the events in Oblivion the empire basically left the provinces to their own devices. The group responsible for dealing with the demon gates in high elf land used their hard earned popularity to seize control of the country. They're a bunch of vicious fascists who then proceeded to convert various other provinces info allies by helping them with their demon gates, then kicking off a huge war against the empire, which they won handily. They forced surrender conditions on the imperial government that were specifically designed to rile up the ultra nationalists in Skyrim--which had been largely unaffected by the war--to try to provoke a civil war. It works. They proceed to covertly fund and arm the rebels CIA style.

Meanwhile an ancient dragon pops into this plane of existence after temporal displacement centuries earlier by folks too wimpy to beat him the hard way. It proceeds to fly around resurrecting its kin and generally causing havok for no actual practical reason. The player is forced to deal with this because of the civil unrest tying up the empire's military, combined with the elf fascists having all but wiped out the imperial secret police, who have been inexplicably retconned into being champion dragon hunters, despite years spent by the devs telling people the games would never have you fight a dragon because the empire considered them sacred.

The Redguards, who are based on the Moors, managed to deal with their own problems AND keep the elves out, and are in fact carrying out both overt and covert operations against the elves in Skyrim and elsewhere. Expect Hammerfel to be the setting of the next game, both for its importance in recent events, and because it's the only human-majority province that's never been featured in a main series TES game (only a spin-off adventure game).

It started off sounding like the fever dreams of a nerd in cheeto dust, but then it all made sense.

I need to go back and replay Skyrim. But with the Randy Savage Dragon mod.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

B-rock not black enough says sole arbiter of what is black.

gfsincere posted:

Everyone who disagrees with you is secretly KKK but please tell me more about how you don't need therapy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

gently caress outta here with this bullshit strawman. When did I EVER say that? Please point it out or forever shut the gently caress up.

Haha so now you're just going to pretend you never posted all those posts about how slavery eugeniced Blacks into being stronger and better at sports?

Sorry but just because I disagree with your anti-science bullshit doesn't make me a racist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gfsincere posted:

You have quite the history of forgetting the things you've said within the last few hours on these forums in this thread. Are you currently under the influence of a psychoactive substance?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

gfsincere posted:

:airquote:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dexo posted:

Even if someone is wrong conversations with them can bring about interesting information I didn't otherwise know(the Cotton Gin stuff)
While we're on it, another part of my understanding of the founding fathers - a number of them who were very anti-slavery didn't fight hard against it because they thought it was a dying industry. Basically, it was getting less popular AND less profitable, so a number of them were convinced that slavery would disappear eventually, so they didn't fight it in the early days of the country.

The cotton gin suddenly made slavery very, very popular. I've seen arguments that without the gin, you never have the Civil War.

edit: actually, holy poo poo:

quote:

Whitney (who died in 1825) could not have foreseen the ways in which his invention would change society for the worse. The most significant of these was the growth of slavery. While it was true that the cotton gin reduced the labor of removing seeds, it did not reduce the need for slaves to grow and pick the cotton. In fact, the opposite occurred. Cotton growing became so profitable for the planters that it greatly increased their demand for both land and slave labor. In 1790 there were six slave states; in 1860 there were 15. From 1790 until Congress banned the importation of slaves from Africa in 1808, Southerners imported 80,000 Africans. By 1860 approximately one in three Southerners was a slave.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 22, 2016

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gfsincere posted:

Wait, Obama isn't black?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

gfsincere posted:

cant wait to get a mexican president oops wait we actually have it worse shut the gently caress up now please

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
This like three hour meltdown has been uh, something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

You have quite the history of forgetting the things you've said within the last few hours on these forums in this thread. Are you currently under the influence of a psychoactive substance?

Presumably he's trying to nitpick that he never said eugenics made him personally buff, it just buffed up decendants of slaves in general or something.

I did miss that in the post and do remember it being a kinda a thing on the right. Mad he was claiming black when really he should be called Arab or white or whatever.

Pretty much your usual "gently caress over mixed race people both ways" that is kinda our thing in America.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
being angry about how bad you have it is dumb because someone always has it worse

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

No, I think my immigrant experience of growing up in the projects of DC with a neighbor who was a black panther adds up to growing up in the projects of chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther.

I've lived this poo poo. I've repeated this many times. You don't seem to be getting that you and I had more or less the same experience (if that experience is: poor as gently caress childhood, woo we made it out of the ghetto teens, and ok we are not 1 missed paycheck away from losing the house adulthood)

You're displaying the intransigent love of your own oppression that non-AfAms notice in AfAms. It hobbles you, dude, and prevents you from making meaningful connections with people who honestly have lived out the same/similar poo poo as you because 'oh, woe is me, you will never get me. so don't talk to me about my problems.' It reads like livejournal.

Stupid rear end thoughts like the bolded are once again the reason why I said you and I are not the same, so stop trying to conflate our experience, especially since that statement is a bold admission of such. You don't and can't get it. You're an immigrant. That means you came from somewhere else. Which also means you have somewhere to go back to in case poo poo hits the fan. Black people here have NOWHERE ELSE TO GO. Hell, one of the reasons the ECOWAS passport can't get real traction is because countries like Ghana want to offer it to black Americans and other ECOWAS countries don't because they buy into white propaganda. You don't understand that. That's one of many things you don't and won't get because you and I are not the same, regardless of the fact that we live with the real fear that a white cop will shoot us both dead for looking at him funny.

On top of you breaking a ton of rules here today, once again. We not the same, and that's okay. Doesn't make you better or lesser than me or black Americans (I'd really wish you'd stop calling us African Americans), I'm just telling you that even though there's some overlap, you're culturally different from me.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

fits my needs posted:

Wait, Obama isn't black?

he has the white man's blood in him which ruins his pedigree. you'll never be able to get stud fees off of a mutt like that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Welp GFsincere you should know as well as anyone that outside of maybe family. A mixed kid in the eyes of society is generally Black or White.

If you are light skinned enough to pass yourself off as white then that's how you are generally treated in society.

Obama is black as poo poo.

Someone who's that color walking down the street is going to be perceived and treated as black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

gfsincere posted:

Stupid rear end thoughts like the bolded are once again the reason why I said you and I are not the same, so stop trying to conflate our experience, especially since that statement is a bold admission of such. You don't and can't get it. You're an immigrant. That means you came from somewhere else. Which also means you have somewhere to go back to in case poo poo hits the fan. Black people here have NOWHERE ELSE TO GO. Hell, one of the reasons the ECOWAS passport can't get real traction is because countries like Ghana want to offer it to black Americans and other ECOWAS countries don't because they buy into white propaganda. You don't understand that. That's one of many things you don't and won't get because you and I are not the same, regardless of the fact that we live with the real fear that a white cop will shoot us both dead for looking at him funny.

On top of you breaking a ton of rules here today, once again. We not the same, and that's okay. Doesn't make you better or lesser than me or black Americans (I'd really wish you'd stop calling us African Americans), I'm just telling you that even though there's some overlap, you're culturally different from me.

Jesus christ

• Locked thread