Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Boomstick Quaid posted:

With simple stereoscopic photography you could show that stars are really really far away

photographs were put on earth by god to test our faith, qed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Preem Palver posted:

When the earth is only 6000 years old there ain't time for this bullshit about millions of years or whatever. Same reason they conflate chimps and ape-like ancestor; they literally do think that you're suggesting their great-great-great-grandpa or whoever was just an actual modern chimpanzee. The real fun is when they get into Noah's Ark or astronomy. Did you know that the Grand Canyon and was carved in a matter of days from the receding flood waters? There was also no such thing as rain before the flood, just a hollow sphere of liquid water that magically floated around the earth that somehow made the atmosphere super-oxygenated, which is why dudes lived to be 700 and there were dinosaurs and giant bugs and poo poo. We know this because of all the fossils they left in the flood, proving that dinosaurs roamed the earth in the distant past of 3500 BC. Or that God placed every single star in the cosmos perfectly as to create the ideal gravity on Earth. If a single star ever, EVER moved a single inch in the vast clockwork of the cosmos, it would now take the force of a tractor to move your arm.

All seems pretty legit to me, what's your point?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Boomstick Quaid posted:

With simple stereoscopic photography you could show that stars are really really far away

they aren't far away, they are long ago

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

psychokitty posted:

they aren't far away, they are long ago

The closer ones are later

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I thought it was fairly self-explanatory, wake up sheeple!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Boomstick Quaid posted:

The closer ones are later

no

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Moridin920 posted:

I saw a dude who allegedly has an astrophysics degree tell me God created the light traveling from the stars to Earth when he created the Universe so it still makes sense that we see light from stars over 6000 light years away but the universe is only 6000 years old.

The mental hoops these people jump through are insane.

Meh, I don't see that as being inherently super silly if he believes the laws of the universe are in place and work as designed and all of that, but everything was created with those laws in mind a short time ago. God has a dev kit and just made a state to start the sim from. Young Earth Creationism is a hard sell from a academic angle, but it doesn't necessarily have to preclude intellectually understanding and working with the current scientific model.

I can have my unrealistic fantasies, too, I guess. :)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
i choose to subscribe to the evangelical belief that everything was created like five years ago to serve as world building for some stupid "holy book"

that way i wont feel so bad when i go on a shooting spree , its not like im destroying anything of value

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've mentioned this in some other thread but I know a guy that believes, among a variety of other idiotic nonsense, that all citrus fruit are just one fruit at different stages of ripeness.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

Meh, I don't see that as being inherently super silly if he believes the laws of the universe are in place and work as designed and all of that, but everything was created with those laws in mind a short time ago. God has a dev kit and just made a state to start the sim from. Young Earth Creationism is a hard sell from a academic angle, but it doesn't necessarily have to preclude intellectually understanding and working with the current scientific model.

I can have my unrealistic fantasies, too, I guess. :)

I doesn't have to but it was pretty amazing to me seeing someone who went through college and whatever and got a degree in a hard science and came out the other end still believing in Young Earth Creationism.

I mean yeah technically we could have all been poofed into existence 10 minutes ago complete with memories and all and you can't really prove anything other than your own existence (and even then, only to yourself).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 22, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Solipsism is kinda dumb and lazy, but fun to ponder. :catdrugs:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Inzombiac posted:

I've mentioned this in some other thread but I know a guy that believes, among a variety of other idiotic nonsense, that all citrus fruit are just one fruit at different stages of ripeness.

Lmao what the gently caress

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

you'll never know how hard it was for me to get pregnant at 16 and now being a mom is so tough

luckily wine gets me through the day LOL

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I observe more than you know except in school

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Cool_tony posted:

im so quite

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

psychokitty posted:

im so quite

too quite

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hmm, quite

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Quite Rito.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Code Jockey posted:

Lmao what the gently caress

I'm actually filling a notebook with his worldviews and it's making me a bit depressed.
He's not a bad person, he was just never challenged in his beliefs because he grew up in a tiny village, joined the military and then did nothing but keep his head down in the professional world.

But then again he's about 40, lives with his mother and got into a giggling fit when a few of us were talking about the LA flood.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Cool_tony posted:

This was shared by a guy on my wall that constantly bitches about not being able to find a woman. It is also the only time I have seen women comment on his post. Several pointed out "quite".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
How does a meme with an obvious misspelling get shared multiple places lmao

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
nobody cares about spelling anymore

it's sad

I blame the schools for not teaching English anymore

people only care about math and science now

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

How does a meme with an obvious misspelling get shared multiple places lmao

I think some image macro makers must do that poo poo on purpose and then just kick back in their rolling office chair with a contented smile at a seed of shame well sown. Dyslexia is a possible explanation and likely, as is the most likely, people just slamming text into one of those meme generators and not bothering to review their work before furiously posting their sick-nasty truth bomb on the masses.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

psychokitty posted:

im so quite

im quite woke

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's sad

silencee ye dogge

we spelle az we plees

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's sad

cluturral marxesm is at folt

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think some image macro makers must do that poo poo on purpose and then just kick back in their rolling office chair with a contented smile at a seed of shame well sown. Dyslexia is a possible explanation and likely, as is the most likely, people just slamming text into one of those meme generators and not bothering to review their work before furiously posting their sick-nasty truth bomb on the masses.

alternatively it's a useful marker to track meme outreach

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

lol almost no students have more than a basic understanding of either of those subjects

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

This sees like it could explain at most one out of lemons and tangerines.

I knew a guy who thought rice was made like pasta.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Dzhay posted:

This sees like it could explain at most one out of lemons and tangerines.

I knew a guy who thought rice was made like pasta.

i suppose you are going to tell me it grows on trees? :rolleyes:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Don't worry, I'm only underestimating you because you are a hipster with tatoos who smokes.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Pvt.Scott posted:

You coulda had a seasoned sex goddess, you moron!

Things come around again. I hit that about 5 years later. She had sub-par titties.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
This one pops up in my social circle once every month or two. WHY THE gently caress IS SYLVESTER ON IT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Agreed. Should be a minion.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I have a terrible habit of collecting cranky old people memes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Hose bad?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Garden hoses do not meet the minimum requirements for drinking water. Chemicals from the lining of the hose can leech into the water. Water can be left sitting in the hose for days, warming in the sun, growing all kinds of fungi, bacteria, even algae and micro organisms. And of course no one ever washes out the inside of a hose. So, yeah, it is not as safe to drink from a hose as it is to drink directly from a water tap. It's possible someone could get sick from drinking from a hose, especially if the water in the hose has been sitting stagnant for a few days before you decide to take a drink. Small children and people with compromised immune systems should avoid it.

Pussification of america. :argh:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Garden hoses do not meet the minimum requirements for drinking water. Chemicals from the lining of the hose can leech into the water. Water can be left sitting in the hose for days, warming in the sun, growing all kinds of fungi, bacteria, even algae and micro organisms. And of course no one ever washes out the inside of a hose. So, yeah, it is not as safe to drink from a hose as it is to drink directly from a water tap. It's possible someone could get sick from drinking from a hose, especially if the water in the hose has been sitting stagnant for a few days before you decide to take a drink. Small children and people with compromised immune systems should avoid it.

Pussification of america. :argh:

i got a hose you can slurp on

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I was taught to "let the hose clear out" before I took a drink :shrug:

You know the water's cleaner once it's nice and cool at least. Mmm hosewater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah because evidence clearly shows that seat belts never saved anyone. Ever.

• Locked thread