Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

Any suggestions on classes, races and builds to look at? I've got until Wednesday to make a 13th level character.

I can second a previous poster's recommendation for Totemist, since they give you a *LOT* of options, some of which are functionally spell like abilities that you can use all day long. Ring of fire attack, ray of frost, to say nothing of being able to swap around skill bonuses all over the place. I've got a totemist I'm playing at lower levels, and it's been working out pretty well so far, and I'm told that if they get optimized it can get pretty hilarious.

They also have the best drat short-range teleport ability in the game. 10-50ft solo dimension door at will? If you can't find a whole bunch of different ways to use that, you are simply not trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Is it a mistake to just go straight Totemist? It seems like there's a lot more multiclassing and prestige class use in 3.5 than in Pathfinder.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Totemist 20 is perfectly acceptable; if an Incarnum class is your primary you shouldn't be dipping around too much

EDIT: to clarify, Incarnate and Totemist are very good dips for other classes, and hybrid Incarnum/whatever builds can be strong as well, but if your goal is to actually play a Totemist you're usually just going Totemist 20, or maybe Totemist + PrC

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2016

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Aight I'll just go Totemist then, they seem cool. Just making sure I'm getting the mechanics right here. At 13th level I can do the following, with 3 available Chakra Binds and 7 available Soulmelds:

Girallion Arms bound on the Totem Chakra grants four claw attacks
Lamia Belt bound on Totem Chakra via Double Chakra grants two claw attacks
Sphinx Claws bound to hands for Pounce
Dread Carapace shaped to feet, Power Attack for natural attacks
Claws of the Worm shaped to arms grants two claw attacks
Dragon Tail shaped to feet grants a tail attack
Chaos Roc shaped to shoulders grants two wing buffet attacks

I can invest more Essentia into a specific Soulmeld that is shaped to a slot or bound to a chakra to gain extra bonuses. At level 13 this is up to 3 in a specific Soulmeld except on the Totem Chakra which can have 4. If I full attack, am I getting 12 natural attacks, mostly secondary? I'm mostly unsure about the claws because I'm used to natural attacks being limited by limbs, and Girallion Arms doesn't even say where the claws are. I'm not gonna try and rack up this many natural attacks, because it sounds like it would turn any combat into a slog if I'm rolling twelve attacks. Just making sure I have the mechanics right.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 18, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The flavor text under Girallon Arms Chakra Bind (Totem) lays it out; you get two ghost arms to go with your real ones, and all 4 arms get claws.

Claws of the Wyrm actually does specify, if you already have claw attacks, you use the claws with the higher damage. So you'd have two claws that deal 1d6 (Claws of the Wyrm) and your extra Girallon Arms would still have 1d4 damage.

Also, I forgot. Pathfinder's rules for natural weapons are slightly different I believe. In Pathfinder, any natural attack marked as primary is primary and any marked as secondary are secondary; in 3.5e you can only have one set of primary natural weapons. The rest are secondary, period.

This handbook is a bit wordy, but it has a section on general rules of natural weapons and how they interact with Soulmelds you should probably read (even if it's mostly just ends up with him saying "talk to your DM about it")

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
if you want to get stupid with the Totemist you can outfit your party with adamantine weapons and spam the 1-round petrify gaze attack from the basilisk mask

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Trip report on high level, low magic campaign:

Monsters have severely adjusted stat blocks and Totemists are a blast to play. Someone asked how much higher of a level a Rogue had to be to get flanking on another Rogue with Uncanny Dodge. I was like if it's the same as Pathfinder it's 4, and turns out it is because 3.5 and pathfinder are like the exact same fukin game they barely changed anything. Thanks for the advice yall it helped a bunch.

\/\/\/ Yeah I considered making a grapple based Totemist with Wormtail Belt and Barbed Stinger but ehhhhhhh

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 21, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

and turns out it is because 3.5 and pathfinder are like the exact same fukin game they barely changed anything.

The only substantial differences you're likely to encounter in the core rules (rather than in specific classes/feats/spells/magic items) are that skill ranks per level work differently, and that in 3.5 combat maneuvers (trip/grapple/bull rush/etc) each have their own mini-mechanics rather than one combined roll. Also at higher levels, the specifics of polymorph and change shape effects are different, because they errata'd that in late 3.5 but it never made its way into the SRD.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, so it looks like the way our campaign is progressing, that at level 9 I will be taking the feat Undead Leadership. I am planning on attracting a Necropolitan cohort. Is there any particular class a Necropolitan excels at?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Madmarker posted:

Hey, so it looks like the way our campaign is progressing, that at level 9 I will be taking the feat Undead Leadership. I am planning on attracting a Necropolitan cohort. Is there any particular class a Necropolitan excels at?

Dread Necromancer is the only one they are particularly good at, though they aren't bad at anything.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Piell posted:

Dread Necromancer is the only one they are particularly good at, though they aren't bad at anything.

Fair enough...so I am guessing a Sorcerer is a good place to start with them? I don't really want to go the Dread Necromancer route.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, so, since I am now running 2 casters (my Cleric and the cohort), I am in dire need of a good way to track all the friggin spells I have access to , and pull them up at a moment's notice, is there a good spell management application?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

Fair enough...so I am guessing a Sorcerer is a good place to start with them? I don't really want to go the Dread Necromancer route.
You could also do Artificer, which is crazy good as a cohort since you can pump all their feats into cost/time reducers. Also saves you a ton of effort on spell prep.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Madmarker posted:

Hey, so, since I am now running 2 casters (my Cleric and the cohort), I am in dire need of a good way to track all the friggin spells I have access to , and pull them up at a moment's notice, is there a good spell management application?

https://dndtools.net/spells/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the best way to run Eberron in its intended system? Balance? Keeping to its espionage stuff? Etc.?

The stuff they won't say in a book because "this class/item/race/level range is broken" is not a thing devs usually say.

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 13, 2016

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I need some help with pricing a relic, as I'm not sure what numbers to use. The relic is a custom one, "Shard of Ayailla's Radiance", which would allow it's user to fire off Ayailla's Radiant Burst. They'll still suffer the 1d2 strength damage as part of casting but otherwise having no limits outside of their personal ability and willingness to take the strength damage. The confusion I have comes with the information about relics themselves vs the formula presented here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Do I use caster level as 'minimum caster level required to cast that spell', which would be 3 in this case, 'minimum caster level to cast the spell at maximum power', which in this case would be 10, or do I go with 'relics cast spell and spell-like abilities as if CL 20'? The first one seems a bit low, the second one seems high for a 2nd level spell with a max damage of 5d6 (considering there is a limit on casting even if depends on the user's strength), and the last one is hilariously too high, even with the recommended relic discount.

My best estimate, going with the second option, gives it a starting value of 36k gp. A 5th level cleric using up a 3rd level spell slot to power it seems reasonable as a discount listed in Complete Divine, so that's 6k off which drops it to 30k. The general magic item creation rules lists specific class/alignment requirements as a 30% reduction in cost, and I feel like 'worships Ayailla' and the alignment requirements therein covers that sufficiently, so 30,000 x .7 is 21k. Does 21k sound about right, or have I grossly missed or misinterpreted something?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
You use the CL you want the spell to have when used. So if you want it to be cast as if by a CL 10 character, you'd price it using CL 10.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do psicrystals get feats by RAW? If the DM doesn't want to let you have a psicrystal with feats, are they still worthwhile to get?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Mandingo posted:

Do psicrystals get feats by RAW?

No. Like a familiar, they don't actually get any more HD, just increased HP/saves/skills.

The Mandingo posted:

are they still worthwhile to get?

Yes, for all the same reasons that familiars are useful.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 15, 2016

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Roadie posted:

No. Like a familiar, they don't actually get any more HD, just increased HP/saves/skills.

Yes, for all the same reasons that familiars are useful.

They explicitly have the same number of HD as their master, unlike familiars. By RAW they get feats.

(which is useful for the Feat Leech power, or messy if you give them Leadership)

Edit: I did see something good about giving them ToB feats so they could use manoeuvres that affect the party.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 15, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mind you, psicrystals getting feats by virtue of having HD is a weird oversight stemming from the nest of rules that 3.x can sometimes be. But yes, technically they can select feats independently of those gained by belonging to a psychic PC.

Psicrystal Monster Entry posted:

Hit Dice: As master’s HD (hp 1/2 master’s)

Improving Monsters -> Improving Hit Dice posted:

All types have a number of feats equal to 1 + 1 per 3 Hit Dice.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

They explicitly have the same number of HD as their master, unlike familiars. By RAW they get feats.

Oh dang, I forgot about that clause.

NGDBSS posted:

Mind you, psicrystals getting feats by virtue of having HD is a weird oversight stemming from the nest of rules that 3.x can sometimes be. But yes, technically they can select feats independently of those gained by belonging to a psychic PC.

Then, yeah, they've got feats.

They don't actually need any of the feats to be useful, though, and there aren't many feats that actually help a psicrystal aside from the already-mentioned ToB feats or Leadership cheese.

This isn't so much of a psicrystal thing as a "most feats don't actually matter for anyone not rolling attack rolls constantly" thing.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

The Mandingo posted:

Do psicrystals get feats by RAW? If the DM doesn't want to let you have a psicrystal with feats, are they still worthwhile to get?

Vigor
Share Powers
And finally, Share Pain.

You can get 10 THP per manifester level as a standard action. It makes you tanky as gently caress.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They also have a climb speed, !darkvision out to 40 feet, and a telepathic connection to you all starting at level 1. At level 5 facilitate unlimited silent communication with anyone you want, irrespective of language barrier.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If my DM allows a psicrystal to have feats (and he may not), would having my crystal take Psionic Meditation and my character take Psicrystal containtment let me break the action economy and regain multiple psionic focii per round?

Also, psicrystal with Mindsight... pretty strong.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Mandingo posted:

If my DM allows a psicrystal to have feats (and he may not), would having my crystal take Psionic Meditation and my character take Psicrystal containtment let me break the action economy and regain multiple psionic focii per round?

Also, psicrystal with Mindsight... pretty strong.
The psionic focus that your psicrystal grants is something you do, not your psicrystal. You have to recharge it yourself, you have to spend it yourself, etc. If you can get your psicrystal a psionic focus, Psionic Meditation would allow it to charge it's own focus faster but still won't do anything for your psionic focus.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 15, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
How do you know if status effects stack? For example, shaken and sickened have overlapping penalties (sickened adds -2 to damage rolls as well), but do they stack? Will a sickened and shaken enemy have a cumulative -4 to the overlapping penalties?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Mandingo posted:

How do you know if status effects stack? For example, shaken and sickened have overlapping penalties (sickened adds -2 to damage rolls as well), but do they stack? Will a sickened and shaken enemy have a cumulative -4 to the overlapping penalties?

They're typeless, so RAW they stack, I think.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It should do -4, but that's not very good in 3E when it costs two actions to maybe inflict and standard operating procedure for monsters is to have a gigantic attack bonus.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Does sickened does sickened escalate the same way fear does?

edit:

Backstory: Tripp Screamerson is a variant of the Vern build from the fear handbook. Unfortunately that handbook stretches the limits or flat out misunderstands the rules of the game. Still, it's been a rewarding but somewhat limiting character. A lot of the things that Tripp do well could be improved with more gold than my current campaign rewards us with.

Anyway, we just hit level 7 last session and I'm kind of at a loss on what to do now, which is what I'm trying to figure out now. Here's Tripp:

Level 6 (Barbarian 2/Half-Orc Paragon 3/Fighter 1) Desert-Orc (+2 Str, -2 Int)
STR 18 (+4)
DEX 10 (0)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 10 (0)
WIS 8 (-1)
CHA 19 (+4)

Skills
Bluff 5
Diplomacy 7
Gather Information 11
Intimidate 26
Jump 12
Sense Motive 6
Tumble 8

Feats
Racial: Run
Flaws: Nymph's Kiss, Power Attack (Shaky and No Time for Book Learning flaws, -2 penalty to ranged attacks and permanently illiterate)
ACF Substitutions: Improved Trip for Uncanny Dodge
1st - Intimidating Rage
3rd - Menacing Demeanour
6th - Imperious Command
Fighter Bonus (at 6th) - Cleave

Special Abilities:
ACF: Pounce for Fast Movement
Whirling Frenzy rage variant
Monstrous Mien (+4 to Intimidate checks)
Rage 2/day

Skill Trick:
Never Outnumbered

I have a +1 Guisarme and a +1 Flail. Both can trip, and the Guisarme has reach. Twice a day as a free action I can intimidate an enemy within 30 feet while I'm raging, and that target cowers for 1 round and is shaken until I'm not raging. Also, Never Outnumbered allows that free action to make all enemies within 10 feet have to roll against that intimidate check or they suffer the same effects (once per encounter).

Playstyle is nice, I trip things, then hit them if I succeed on tripping. I hit them again if they try to get up. If there's a big boss, I try to get in the middle of a pack of enemies, pop off rage, intimidate the big boss and everyone else I threaten. Out of combat, I have decent social skills even though the group treats me like a typical half-orc barbarian.

Drawbacks are all the things associated with mundane characters.

At level seven I need to do one of two things - pick a decent fighter bonus feat OR pick another class or prestige class to move into. For feats the only things I think are good are Brutal Strike or Martial Study (Shadow Jaunt or Mountain Hammer) but both aren't that great. For another class - I've got no idea.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm not sure there's any Prestige Classes that are super interesting that you can jump right into, but here are some options I can think of. None of them are that good though:
-Take three levels of Totemist and then go into Totem Rager. Unfortunately you can't get away with only two levels due to the additional required feat.
-Take four levels of Sorcerer and then go into Rage Mage.
-Go Warblade or Crusader

Potential Fighter bonus feats:
-Power Attack, which is a prereq for:
--Resounding Blow
--Great Cleave
-Weapon Focus (most useful if you go Warblade later)
-Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mandingo posted:

Does sickened does sickened escalate the same way fear does?
No, sickened does not stack into nauseated the way fatigued -> exhausted or shaken -> frightened -> etc does by RAW. I think there's a couple things that expressly say "if you use this on a sickened creature it's nauseated instead" but those are exceptions.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Bouquet posted:

Potential Fighter bonus feats:
-Power Attack, which is a prereq for:
--Resounding Blow
--Great Cleave
-Weapon Focus (most useful if you go Warblade later)
-Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)

Power Attack - already have it
Resounding blow - sounds fun, but none of my weapons have a crit range beyond roll a 20.
Great Cleave - I've heard it is crap
Weapon focus - boring
EWP Spiked Chain - nice, but we're far from any vendor to get me a chain.

I'm leaning towards Brutal Strike or Resounding Blow

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
There are a couple good options in Shape Soulmeld.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Piell posted:

There are a couple good options in Shape Soulmeld.

Do they qualify as fighter bonus feats?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Nope, sorry, I missed that part.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I like the flavor of the Divine Oracle PrC (Complete Divine) but there's not a lot of good information on the internet about it. Anyone have experience with it? Good build suggestions appreciated!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Mandingo posted:

I like the flavor of the Divine Oracle PrC (Complete Divine) but there's not a lot of good information on the internet about it. Anyone have experience with it? Good build suggestions appreciated!
I'm struggling to find something worthwhile to say about the class. It has full casting so it's fine by default? You get the best ability at level 1 and everything else is just kinda there. Any build involving it is just going to be a caster, but moreso. You might be able to get your DM to allow Prescient Sense to qualify for Evasion prerequisites I guess? And there are a couple of feats that require trap sense so I guess you could aim for those without going into rogue? I'm not sure that's worth it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I'm struggling to find something worthwhile to say about the class. It has full casting so it's fine by default? You get the best ability at level 1 and everything else is just kinda there. Any build involving it is just going to be a caster, but moreso. You might be able to get your DM to allow Prescient Sense to qualify for Evasion prerequisites I guess? And there are a couple of feats that require trap sense so I guess you could aim for those without going into rogue? I'm not sure that's worth it.

Divine Oracle is a great prestige class, specifically for Clerics, but other Divine casters can use it as well. Anyway, It has 3 separate drop points, lvls 2, 4 and 10.

Level 2 is great because it gets you prescient sense, giving you a form of evasion that works in heavy armor.

Level 6 is great because it gives you uncanny dodge.

Level 10 is awesome because it allows you to act in any surprise round.

On top of all this, it grants access to another domain. It may be the oracle domain, but thanks to the spell Substitute Domain....this Domain can be any that your deity would normally grant you. All in all it is a highly effective package. Divine Power patches the poo poo BAB if you are trying to be combat heavy, but really any Cleric can make great use of these abilities. And, thanks to Fane of the Frog God you can access the prestige class without wasting a feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
As a matter of fact, any caster can go into Divine Oracle.

Divine Oracle's distinguishing feature is the bonus domain that it provides, at such a low level and with such relaxed requirements. Bonus domains are of special use to characters that can erode the "one per day per level" limitation which usually moderates the spells they provide. In this, there are two major stratgies: One is to be Warmage-style caster, a category that includes Beguilers and Dread Necromancers. There are a bunch of independently rewritten rules for how bonus domains work, but the latter-day consensus seemed to be that casters without innate domain functionality just treat the domain spells as additions to their spell list. This is good for Warmage and friends, because their spell list is congruent with their spells known. The other strategy is to be a Spontanious Cleric, a class which chooses spells like a Sorcerer or (unwritten-at-the-time) Favored Soul, but also learns "his two domain spells" at each level. What happens if you have more than two domains? The answer you're hoping for is "well, you learn the spells from them, too." At worst, you should be able to add them to your list and then choose from them with your Spells Known selection, just like a Sorcerer would; for a class with a better chassis than the Sorcerer but a severe lack of 'killer apps' on his spell list, this isn't actually a terrible consolation prize, but it's also not one I find particularly interesting.

Anyway, with such a character, after you take Divine Oracle, you might stick around for a couple more levels to get that quasi-Evasion, but what you really want is to pick up more spells. The principle classes to look into for that are:

-Sacred Exorcist, who, in addition to a domain, gets Turn loving Undead
-Rainbow Servant, who gets another pair of domains over its ten levels, but capstones with a feature that just dumps the entire Cleric class spell list into its own,
-Sovereign Speaker, who gets to worship nine whole gods and gets another domain every goddamned level,
-Contemplative, who just lets you straight up pick whatever fuckin domain you want,
-Skypledged/Mage of the Arcane Order, which both let you instantly pull whatever spell from a Core list you want right outta nowhere with zero preparation,

And then there are those other classes like Divine Oracle which just incidentally pile on bonus domains for no particular reason (Seeker of the Misty Isle, Church Inquisitor, Dracolyte...), classes that skip the domain bullshit to just add spells directly (Walker in the Wastes), and the prestige versions of the Bard and the Paladin, who, at minimum, pile in all of the spells which are otherwise exclusive to those so-named classes.

• Locked thread