Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I would have settled for learning what Aizen actually wanted to do with the guy. Like the entire SS, HM, and Deicide arcs were about Aizen wanting to make a key to go hit up the Royal Palace, but we still have no idea what he was actually going to do. It probably wasn't to just flat out kill the Soul King, because Yhwach offered to let him in on the ground floor of that deal and Aizen turned him down, plus the moralizing about the nature of hope and death in the last chapter. But he clearly wasn't keen on the status quo, as per his "logic of a loser" rant to Urahara. Did he want to replace him? Give him his limbs back? Make faces at the royal guard?

Aizen's shenanigans took up like 300+ chapters and I still have no idea what he actually wanted to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ampuli
Nov 23, 2013
Wasn't that what Aizen's final speech was about or was he talking about Ywach's motivations?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I sorta wanted Urahara to have this grand hidden objective and be working with the Soul King.

But alas.

At least Urahara remained a great character to the end. His fight was good too.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Cerony posted:

My friends and I were really into Bleach back in high school. As a group of Mexican-American kids we were especially excited about Bleach because it featured a part Mexican character, used a lot of Spanish words, and had some Latin/Hispanic inspired music. Chad was really cool because we had never seen a Latin American character in anime. It's hard to think of anyone like that in anime before Chad. I'm only thinking about popular shows or ones aimed at teens so I'm not sure if there have ever been Latin American anime characters. It's very disappointed that nothing ever came of Chad.

no representation is better than bad representation, which is often said of offensive caricatures and the like but Chad becomes such a nothing character that maybe it fits in this case :sigh:

off the top of my head, Hermes Costello from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is Latina (her dad is from Mexico) and is like the raddest cool girl ever, but she shows up in part 6 of a very long running series. and uh, Oda says if One Piece took place in the real world, Luffy and Ace would be Brazilian, but other than that one SBS comment it doesn't really factor into their characters :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo never bothered to give aizen motivations before, why would he start now?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The problems with this arc were twofold:

All the bullshit 1 v 1 fights when the Sword Ghosts should have been using their numerical advantage to do n v 1 or Kenpachi v n fights.
Things not sticking. Biggest offender: Shunsui's bankai not sticking.

Things would have been a lot faster that way. Basically, the Thor fight but he'd die when Hitsugaya did his super-special-ice attack instead of busting out and continuing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
But if Thor died, how would Kubo have fit even more Bankai reveals in?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BlitzBlast posted:

But if Thor died, how would Kubo have fit even more Bankai reveals in?

Fine, fine. Zaraki can have his dumb bankai that's too strong for his body reveal, then Hitsugaya can freeze him to death, which also means nobody can follow Ichigo up because they're all too busy trying to deal with the huge collapsing skeleton that's going to wreck SS if they don't.

I just remembered how useless Renji's bankai is. It made me smile.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the whole Kenpachi bankai so strong he couldn't use a fraction of it without him loving himself up was right before he got the news that he had to wrap it up. It was obvious that he was planning of having him go full tilt eventually but WRAP IT UP

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Renji probably should have just died fighting Byakuya tbh

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If Renji had died there, the rest of Bleach wouldn't have been nearly as funny.

You may as well say that Yamcha should've died when the Saibamen blew him up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

If Renji had died there, the rest of Bleach wouldn't have been nearly as funny.

You may as well say that Yamcha should've died when the Saibamen blew him up.

Uh, dude, let's not say anything we can't take back. Renji sucks but he's not Yamcha.

That's Chad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, at least Yamcha existed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, at least Yamcha existed.

On the other hand, Yamcha never hit anyone with a telephone pole.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

good. now someone post a picture of yoruichi's huge rear end and we can close this thread down

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Are you for loving real lol

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
and I almost posted the picture too

close one

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are you for loving real lol

Lowtax must have told the mods he needs some more money.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Dick's gimmick got incredibly tired a long long time ago.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chickenfrogman.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

Renji probably should have just died fighting Byakuya tbh

I'm not sure about Renji, but a lot of characters would have benefitted a lot from dieing. Well, not them directly, but the arcs that would open up for the characters related to them would be a lot more interesting than what we got.

Byakuya should have died when he took Gin's Shinso to save Rukia.
The loud visored girl should have died when Gin split her in half (jesus loving christ Gin, you are the cause of death twice already). She contributed nothing to the story, and Shinji feeling bad about not being able to protect her could have expanded his character a bit more outside of "I explain my powers and get owned"
Byakuya should have died AGAIN against As Nodt.

Mayuri should have died on his first encounter against Uryuu. He should have died a psychotic rear end in a top hat instead of devolving into comedic relief Batman. But I guess Kubo REALLY wanted a character to draw differents hats to.

Also amusing is that after their initial bronding in SS, Renji shared zero screentime with Ichigo at all till the very last 3 chapters where he thanks him for being a good wingman. I liked that conversation but it did come out of left field since outside of anime fillers Renji and Ichigo barely interacted at all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I said it before and I will say it again that Bleach would have been much better off if Kubo had just kept the series about Ichigo. I mean he probably would have remained exactly as boring but at least there wouldn't have been about half the manga with him off screen somewhere else.

e: Actually I'm curious now, how many chapters of Bleach is Ichigo absent from?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I said it before and I will say it again that Bleach would have been much better off if Kubo had just kept the series about Ichigo. I mean he probably would have remained exactly as boring but at least there wouldn't have been about half the manga with him off screen somewhere else.

e: Actually I'm curious now, how many chapters of Bleach is Ichigo absent from?

I think it was workable with Ichigo not being crazy-important. I kind of liked having so many captains be important back in the day, because it made the world feel more believable than a standard shonen world that revolves around the protagonist. It's just that A: There were just too drat many of them and every single one had to have their moment in the sun so that B: None of what any of them ever did wound up mattering either which just draws more attention to C: Ichigo is incredibly loving boring.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Did the fox-headed man do something cool at the end or did Kubo forget about him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lezard_valeth posted:

Byakuya should have died AGAIN against As Nodt.

I could be wrong but considering how heavy handed Byakuya's "death" against As Nodt was implied before a few chapters later the story was all "lol j/k he's just ~mortally wounded~", my guess is that Kubo very much planned to kill Byakuya, but then his editors stepped in and were all "Yeah but he's one of your five or so actually popular characters so no."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sydin posted:

I could be wrong but considering how heavy handed Byakuya's "death" against As Nodt was implied before a few chapters later the story was all "lol j/k he's just ~mortally wounded~", my guess is that Kubo very much planned to kill Byakuya, but then his editors stepped in and were all "Yeah but he's one of your five or so actually popular characters so no."

This is weird to me because Byakuya is incredibly flat. Is it just because he's pretty and has a cool Zanpakuto (even if its Bankai does bascially just function like that dude with the sand-urn from Naruto)?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^
As far as I'm aware his popularity begins and ends with the fact that he's a cool and aloof pretty boy. See also: Hitsugaya, the other permanent fixture in the top five rankings.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Did the fox-headed man do something cool at the end or did Kubo forget about him

It turns out he's a reverse werefox who can transform into a human to gain temporary invincibility, which he used to beat the quincy lady Shinji jobbed to. But then once his time as a human expired he lost both his man and foxman abilities, and just became a straight up fox. So Iba put him on his back and carried him off into the sunset, where he presumably cooked and ate him, stole his captains robe, and came back just in time for the epilogue.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 22, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I checked out after the tiny hollow baby turned into a big titted hollow centaur.

Did Ichigo get anymore asspull super powers like him turning out to now be one of thos weirdo half Hollow Reaper dudes?

Also did those Half hollow reaper dudes he trained with ever actually do anything? Like they're all captain tier or stronger so why are they all just living like hobos?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sydin posted:

^^^
As far as I'm aware his popularity begins and ends with the fact that he's a cool and aloof pretty boy. See also: Hitsugaya, the other permanent fixture in the top five rankings.

At least Toshiro emotes, and Hyourinmaru is rad. Byakuya is just a permanent :effort:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
With the exception of Kenpachi (and only as far as Hueco Mundo arc), I never understood how people picked their top 5 characters for Bleach outside of "he would look pretty on my yaoi fanart".

Like, uh-hu, he has an Ice zanpakutou and he can use it to do ice things, this has been done before. Motivations? Well I guess he really hates Aizen, but now Aizen is dead, what are his motivations for fighting Videogame Guy outside of "who is the most bishi"?

On the other hand you had a drunk samurai whose powers were based around child games and a poem, or a ninja that could kill you if she touched you twice (until that stop mattering becuase we were under the impression that it mattered) or a mom that killed you and revived you multiple time for the lulz.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I checked out after the tiny hollow baby turned into a big titted hollow centaur.

Did Ichigo get anymore asspull super powers like him turning out to now be one of thos weirdo half Hollow Reaper dudes?

Also did those Half hollow reaper dudes he trained with ever actually do anything? Like they're all captain tier or stronger so why are they all just living like hobos?

That was like 8 years ago. In any other manga I would have to write a 5000+ words essay to catch you up.

But fortunately! This is Bleach!

Aizen beats everyone. Ichigo gets a one-time only out of nowhere powerup and beats Aizen. Ichigo loses his powers.

New arc starts, some shady guys want to help Ichigo gets his powers back, but NOT REALLY OMG YOU JUST GOT AIZENED. SS returns and gives Ichigo's powers back because apparently they could always do that, the bad guys "die" arc ends.

Quincy arc, 28 new villains appear. They are Quincy. Ichigo turns out to also be a Quincy. I am only tossing that line in for flavour, because it ends up not mattering at all. The Big Bad of this arc has the power of retcon. Long fights against the 26 villains. Bleach gets canceled. Ishida gets a Macguffing arrow that can turn the retcon power off, Ichigo diagonally slashes Big Bad. Big Bad dies. Ichigo marries Orihime and Tumblr is on fire.

The (Perfect) End.

Those half hollow dudes jobbed worse than Renji, amounting to only 1 victory throughout the 400 chapters between you last read. Last arc they didn't even use their half hollow powers at all even when Hollows turned out to be poison to Quincy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ichigo turned out to have every powerset available in the setting by the end, and he still couldn't do anything but fire getsugas and diagonally slash people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it turned out that ywach's one weakness was being hit by a sword

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Come to think of it the obliteration of Ichigo's friends sort of soured the whole thing for me, esp. in Hueco Mundo where they start out on their own and getting allies and nope here comes the Shinigami to save the day. The worst of it was Orihime and I think her treatment in the HM arc is what really killed the series for me: she started out as exciteable and quirky and with a really cute crush on Ichigo(this is straight up 16 year old me talking, I will admit that as an awkward teenager I had a crush on the cartoon girl), and then in that arc she's traumatized incessantly, sometimes overtly sexually (remember Nnoitra shoving his fingers in her mouth? :barf: ), and it seems the only thing she can say is "Kurosaki-kun!" and it never amounts to any payoff with her really owning her powers. I wouldn;t go so far as to call it character assassination, so much as a drunken character hit-and-run, and it was super gross and I pretty much completely checked out of the series after the Ulquiorra fight.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My favourite character was legitimately rukia and it sucked when she stopped being a character and didn't marry me

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Inoue had a plan to depower or destroy Aizen's hoagie with her rejection powers, but as with so many things in Bleach, it went absolutely loving nowhere and was completely forgotten about.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Cerony posted:

My friends and I were really into Bleach back in high school. As a group of Mexican-American kids we were especially excited about Bleach because it featured a part Mexican character, used a lot of Spanish words, and had some Latin/Hispanic inspired music. Chad was really cool because we had never seen a Latin American character in anime. It's hard to think of anyone like that in anime before Chad. I'm only thinking about popular shows or ones aimed at teens so I'm not sure if there have ever been Latin American anime characters. It's very disappointed that nothing ever came of Chad.

It might've only gone downhill for Chad for years, but his early highs very pretty high.

And man, now I feel really pampered with all those German anime character and the dodgy but endearing use of German words in many Anime (dat Bount arc). Though I really don't get why they think 80% of all Germans are nobles or something.

Manatee Cannon posted:

at least he's not tatsuki (rip)

At least she left while she still had a chance to escape the black hole that is Kubo's writing talent. She's the lucky one in all of this.

Sydin posted:

Ichigo turned out to have every powerset available in the setting by the end, and he still couldn't do anything but fire getsugas and diagonally slash people.

That's probably the funniest thing. I really, really want a Bleach RPG where Ichigo's command window lists all of his power sets, but they all lead to "Getsuga Tenshou".

ManlyGrunting posted:

Come to think of it the obliteration of Ichigo's friends sort of soured the whole thing for me, esp. in Hueco Mundo where they start out on their own and getting allies and nope here comes the Shinigami to save the day. The worst of it was Orihime and I think her treatment in the HM arc is what really killed the series for me: she started out as exciteable and quirky and with a really cute crush on Ichigo(this is straight up 16 year old me talking, I will admit that as an awkward teenager I had a crush on the cartoon girl), and then in that arc she's traumatized incessantly, sometimes overtly sexually (remember Nnoitra shoving his fingers in her mouth? :barf: ), and it seems the only thing she can say is "Kurosaki-kun!" and it never amounts to any payoff with her really owning her powers. I wouldn;t go so far as to call it character assassination, so much as a drunken character hit-and-run, and it was super gross and I pretty much completely checked out of the series after the Ulquiorra fight.

Seems being captured in Hueco Mundo sucks all the character out of you.

And Orihime is a really, really weird case. The manga was always going "She's super special for realz", but Kubo never gave a drat. You don't point at Checkov's Gun over and over if Checkov never ends up using it.

It would've actually been kinda rad if the solution to Yhwach being broken as all hell turned out to be "Orihime goes Super Saiyan like Galadriel in that third Hobbit Movie". Bonus points if she transformed herself into a robot to obliterate him with lazor beams.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 22, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

good. now someone post a picture of yoruichi's huge rear end and we can close this thread down

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not going to let the mod close this thread, it's under my protection

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Okay seriously though if a mod closed this thread with a, "Since when were you under the impression..." it would be the most clever thing to ever come out of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Advice posted:

Okay seriously though if a mod closed this thread with a, "Since when were you under the impression..." it would be the most clever thing to ever come out of this thread.

The thread is already closed. We are just hallucinating.

• Locked thread