Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Geirskogul posted:

Isn't stainless a fairly weak metal, though? Like "grade 2"?

It's not that weak that it would be an issue in this application and corrosion resistance is much more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DocCynical posted:

Nope, everything was still balanced. The bolts came loose and instead of 350A going through the lug and bus bar surface area, it was close to all of it going through the two bolts. Much less surface area and cross sectional area as well as steel not being as good a conductor. It is slightly hard to see in the photo, but that lug is really only contacting at the top. The wire heating is from the bolts, copper conducts heat well.

As to why the bolts failed in that manner, I have no clue. Maybe they worked loose via vibration from the 1.2MW backup generator being tested. Maybe they weren't torqued right and just worked loose over time. It happened quick though. Day before everything was fine.

This plus the fact that without the clamp load, your actual contact cross sectional area between the lug surface+holes and the bolts and nuts was probably even worse than the cross sectional area of the bolts themselves. If you had let it cool and turned it back on, I bet the heat would start at the crests of the threads on the bolts and a spot or two on the underside of each bolt/nut head and radiate outward from there.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Geirskogul posted:

Basically you need to be more specific, because 'stainless' is a huge family of alloys running from 'lovely grade 2' to 'the stuff we make reactor vessels out of'.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Stainless hardware you would find at home depot. Definitely high strength reactor grade stuff.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ArcMage posted:

Basically you need to be more specific, because 'stainless' is a huge family of alloys running from 'lovely grade 2' to 'the stuff we make reactor vessels out of'.

I think most LWR reactor vessels are made of carbon steel. That's what makes Davis-Besse, unit 2 so :catstare:.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Groda posted:

I think most LWR reactor vessels are made of carbon steel. That's what makes Davis-Besse, unit 2 so :catstare:.

It's lined with stainless inside (which was enough to keep the coolant contained).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought they were lined with zirconium. Or is that the rods/pellets?

Anyway, I mean standard hardware store stainless, which IIRC is weaker than most other grades. But I don't know your application so :shrug: wasn't trying to make waves.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geirskogul posted:

I thought they were lined with zirconium. Or is that the rods/pellets?

Anyway, I mean standard hardware store stainless, which IIRC is weaker than most other grades. But I don't know your application so :shrug: wasn't trying to make waves.

Zirconium is used for fuel cladding.
A reactor pressure vessel is a couple of inches of carbon steel with a thin stainless liner. That's what was so fun about Davis Besse. The borated water had already eaten a hole through the carbon steel section and the stainless liner was the only barrier left.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's a much better picture than on Wiki. Thanks.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Geirskogul posted:

As mentioned it depends on grade and they vary considerably. One thing about some stainless steel is how much it work hardens. It was before digital cameras and I wasn't at the scene of the incidents but allow me to paint a word picture. When I worked in a machine shop in a steel mill one of the bosses had a bright idea and got some of the machinists to turn up a bunch of stainless steel tow balls for their cars so they could:

a) Be really shiny.
b) Not rust when used on a boat trailer.

It all worked great until they snapped due to either the work hardening given to them during fabrication or as they transmitted loads. It did however confirm everything us grunts thought about our managers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

That's actually better than the racecar one that I'm sure someone will repost later on.

"My planet neeeds meeeeeeee."

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
So a relatively new C7 Z06 wouldn't crank over...

:stonklol:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
how

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
So this is a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse with 106,000 miles. The engine is the 3.6 direct injection. Came in for check engine light, code was P0300. So I said - yeah - start with spark plugs and an injection cleaning because these engines are known for carbon build-up.

Boy I thought I was talking out of my rear end to get the injector cleaning sale - the intake valves seem to have a real problem:

This is the best I could manage with dumping injector cleaner and various other chemicals down and trying to brush and blow it all out. After that, I put it back together and did that induction cleaning... twice.

EDIT: also - the intake tube was full of oil. There's a resonator chamber in the air intake hose - that was full of goo. Changed out the PCV valves too after finding that.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 19, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Root Bear posted:

So a relatively new C7 Z06 wouldn't crank over...

:stonklol:

Hot drat! What the hell happened there?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hot drat! What the hell happened there?

Two piece valve doing two piece valve things it seems by the picture.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Titanium valve train problems

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So now we're at two gens of Z06 with valve issues?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Enourmo posted:

Maybe in general don't leave sealed containers of volatile, flammable substances in direct sunlight/hot cabins.

Yeah it's never intentional but it happens, especially because they are pretty prone to falling out of your pocket.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

So now we're at two gens of Z06 with valve issues?

I bet the computer history tells some over rev story.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Christobevii3 posted:

I bet the computer history tells some over rev story.

GM is kind of known for valve train issues on every iteration of the LS motor.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

Isn't the motor in question a gen5 LT motor?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Raluek posted:

The new LT1 is based off the LS3.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Yes. And like blackmk4 said, it's LS based. Almost all (or possibly actually all) GM V8 motors since like 02 or so are technically LS motors. From the 4.8 to the 7.0.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oh, I thought the LT motors were significantly different because of all the direct injection and such. I guess they're more similar than I thought.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

DocCynical posted:

Yeah, my camera has a max of 280˚C. Anything over it just says >280˚C.

The actual wire got to 160˚C, which is super bad for something rated at 90˚C. Only replaced the lug and bolts though.

I haven't seen low voltage terminations rated for 90C. THHN I believe is rated 90 but you pretty much always need to debate it for low voltage connectors.

Now I think the 13.8kV terminations I have are rated 115C. :getin:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

It's trajectory appears to be sending it at the car waiting at the stop sign.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

The bad castech heads took my 5.3L swap in a 2dr blazer. gently caress u GM and cutting corners.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/castech-heads-casting-problem-years-495565/

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 21, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nothing earth shattering or truly hilarious, but these all made me chuckle.

A small number of Buicks have improperly installed gas lines which can cause them to live the dream:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V595

Ditch Witch has a few bad wiring harnesses which sadly don't live up to what I was hoping. I thought this was some sort of deadman switch before I read the description.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V541

nhtsa posted:

Charles Machine Works Inc. (Charles Machine) is recalling certain model year 2016 Ditch Witch T14MV trailers manufactured June 23, 2015, to July 01, 2016. The affected trailers may have an incorrect wiring harness that could result in the brakes not applying in the event that the trailer separates from the tow vehicle.

But this doesn't matter if you hook it up to a Jeep because the whole drat hitch assembly comes off:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V545

nhtsa posted:

SUMMARY:
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 Jeep Renegade vehicles manufactured August 25, 2014, to June 25, 2016, equipped with a factory-installed optional trailer hitch package. The trailer hitch assembly may have been attached with only a single fastener per side, not three per side as required.

And ~1000 BMW M-Series have something they couldn't blame on improper use of the vehicle:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V540

nhtsa posted:

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2015 BMW M5 sedans manufactured September 4, 2014, through December 4, 2014, 2015 M6 coupes manufactured September 3, 2014, through December 3, 2014, 2015 M6 convertibles manufactured September 8, 2014, through December 4, 2014, and 2015 M6 Gran Coupe vehicles manufactured September3, 2014, through December 4, 2014. The affected vehicles have a driveshaft that may have been inadequately welded during manufacturing.
CONSEQUENCE:
Due to the improper weld, the driveshaft may fracture and fail, causing loss of drive to the rear wheels and a loss of propulsion. Additionally, if the car is turned off and exited without the parking brake applied, the car may roll. Either condition increases the risk of a crash.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

:catstare:

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

That can't be rust and gunky oil, is it a termite nest or something?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

VikingPenguin posted:

That can't be rust and gunky oil, is it a termite nest or something?

I'm voting flood car

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Brigdh posted:

I'm voting flood car

or WOT into a bog.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"Watch what happens when I pour jello chocolate pudding mix into an RX7!"

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So this begs the question: Which part generally explodes when you hydrolock a rotary engine?

Comedy answers are probably related to "x in, apex seals out"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

So this begs the question: Which part generally explodes when you hydrolock a rotary engine?

Comedy answers are probably related to "x in, apex seals out"

Your overdraft.

Though I'd like to see a rotary casing failure.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Paging Spyder to the thread.

Or maybe an abused rotary got his senses tingling already.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Are we making fudge brownies?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I don't actually have any more details than that picture, but the guy who sent it to me believes it got hydrolocked in a flood and then left full of water for a few years.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Having opened rotaries looking like that, yep, that's a flood victim.

*quickedit* For bonus points, that's an S3 13B.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 23, 2016