Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fluffdaddy posted:

We will only be welcome on the sports forums and in the Hip Hop NMD megathread

Only certain parts of the sports forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Dude you keep saying this but never elaborating.

The paper bag test was used as a litmus test to keep darker skinned people out of events.

I used the paper bag test to prove myself as a darker skinned person because you were trying to use my supposed whiteness as a means of keeping me out of a black discussion.

See why it works??? See how it illustrates you're doing the same racist poo poo as those way back when racists?

Except I wasn't saying you weren't "black enough" to have this discussion. I said you weren't black AT ALL and were faking online, which white people do constantly on forums (seriously, go to the coli, it used to happen every month like clockwork).

So once again, you misunderstood the paper bag test and kept trying to twist it to fit a narrative, much like the posters here, which made me bring whether you were black at all into question. Now I just see you're just a dude who softshoes online.

Fluffdaddy posted:

He is one of these young guys who got into the movement a few minutes ago and think they loving know everything. They are the type that will disrespect the leadership from 20-30 years ago and be completely ignorant of anything outside of their stupid poo poo bubble.

They want all the glory and adulation for being a part of the movement without doing anything but blocking some traffic and yelling some poo poo. They talk about the white power structure but do nothing to help black people but themselves.

He thinks he's woke because he read some books and understands institutionalized racism exist. Meanwhile, while he was reading Malcom X and Huey Newton he wasn't reading his science books and doesn't even understand the genetic arguments he's presenting. It's the worst combination of millenial bullshit with misguided black anger.

Hey, so you're more than welcome to go gently caress yourself, considering I have 4 generations of black people in my family that have fought for black rights. You're just a cornball on the Internet trying to score points with white people. I put my body and life at risk for my people, you just post on this forum about how "they aren't doing it right and Id get up and do something but wah wah". You're worse than the white folks because people like you actively try to sabotage movements by attempting to be a "credible" voice that it's okay to hate black movements.

You aren't poo poo, never will be poo poo, and you sound lowkey jealous fam.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Sure we could talk about racism.

Or we could talk about the intersection of racism and tipping :twisted:
https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/767809231424806912

i bet they dont tip citizens either

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Sure we could talk about racism.

Or we could talk about the intersection of racism and tipping :twisted:
https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/767809231424806912

Does she pass the bag test? can we correct for lighting?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
For real it's an interesting conversation and conflict happening ITT but again I'm white as hell and wouldn't begin to try to judge the experience of a minority in racist rear end America.

So instead I'll relate on a level I can and that's through pop culture and jokes.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Dexo posted:

I mean he's sorta right that a Paper Bag test is a test that was mostly used to check if someone was "too black" for *insert group, event etc etc here*. It wasn't really to check blackness at all. If you are black, it becomes pretty obvious early on in life that you are infact black, so a test for that wouldn't really exist.

Paper Bag test is more internalized discrimination for skin tones than anything else. Though that internalized discrimination is generally caused by external pressures of white people generally preferring to hire and cast for jobs lighter skinned black people.

Everything else though is ehhh...

Right, this is the idea of colorism. The problem is that even with colorism, the one-drop rule has long implied that blackness is binary. That's where the tragic mulatto story comes in, and the whole idea of passing being desirable. And then you had the response to that thinking with black is beautiful, and so on. The dark side of that mindset comes in reduction of the black experience down into essentialism, and then basically, we end up fighting each other. This is really what I mean by how living in a sea of white supremacy has messed us up.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Fluffdaddy posted:

Don't worry, they will probably just make another thread and leave us in here without any infrastructure.

We will, but then we'll make that other thread a copy of what you said and claim it's honoring your history while getting rich off it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

gfsincere posted:

Except I wasn't saying you weren't "black enough" to have this discussion. I said you weren't black AT ALL and were faking online, which white people do constantly on forums (seriously, go to the coli, it used to happen every month like clockwork).

So once again, you misunderstood the paper bag test and kept trying to twist it to fit a narrative, much like the posters here, which made me bring whether you were black at all into question. Now I just see you're just a dude who softshoes online.

Hey, so you're more than welcome to go gently caress yourself, considering I have 4 generations of black people in my family that have fought for black rights. You're just a cornball on the Internet trying to score points with white people. I put my body and life at risk for my people, you just post on this forum about how "they aren't doing it right and Id get up and do something but wah wah". You're worse than the white folks because people like you actively try to sabotage movements by attempting to be a "credible" voice that it's okay to hate black movements.

Nice Meltdown.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Dexo posted:

Yes. It was fairly common in Black Sororities and fraternities.

Man if you want to have a fun evening read up on complexion and skin color opinions in the black community.

Fun evening as in popping a blood vessel? Also god drat that is awful. People are awful. Also I am sorry for being seen as trying to stifle black people discussing things with other black people. I was just getting annoyed at all the dumb insults flying around, it didn't seem productive.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Please don't post pictures of yourselfs loll

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We told you that the actual science said you were wrong. That's when we all became klansmen and sellouts, apparently.

Except that's not what happened, but okay. I said I disagreed, and the posters who kept coming with stupid rear end strawmen to detail I called klansmen, and the black dude getting cosigned by said racists I called a sellout. But rewrite things however you like, we live in a post facts world.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Colloquially it's said to originate among black fraternities/sororities as a way to keep darker black people from being members. Or at least that's what I learned!

Greek life! Awful all the way down!

Colorism is so drat prevalent still. My little sister is darker than I and the way people treated us differently growing up taught me a lot about it. She used to say that wished she was lightskinned so she could be considered pretty. As I got older one thing I hate the most is hearing "You're pretty for a black girl". It's hosed up on so many levels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WE B Bourgeois posted:

Please don't post pictures of yourselfs loll

They're trying to get AA to pay attention to the thread.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
GFsincere, can you acknowledge that you were wrong about

gfsincere posted:

white posters kept making the strawmen that I said it was good

or provide an example?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

Except that's not what happened, but okay. I said I disagreed, and the posters who kept coming with stupid rear end strawmen to detail I called klansmen, and the black dude getting cosigned by said racists I called a sellout. But rewrite things however you like, we live in a post facts world.

sometimes there are facts, and in this case the facts disagree with your statement re: selective breeding in african american populations

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

lol just look at all the assumptions here

look at it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Colorism is so drat prevalent still. My little sister is darker than I and the way people treated us differently growing up taught me a lot about it. She used to say that wished she was lightskinned so she could be considered pretty. As I got older one thing I hate the most is hearing "You're pretty for a black girl". It's hosed up on so many levels.

My 11 year old sister has a really close friend who once told her "I wish I was whiter like you so I could have pretty hair."

It was one of the most depressing things I've ever heard. :smith:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Berke Negri posted:

If I may recommend, dadchat is always open for lengthy discussions of race issues, sobriety not a hard requirement.

hell it's not even recommended

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Yea, I am pretty light skinned, so I got to be friends with the little white girls, but still too dark to be brought home. But our experiences don't count because we didn't march in Ferguson for youtube.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

foobardog posted:

Right, this is the idea of colorism. The problem is that even with colorism, the one-drop rule has long implied that blackness is binary. That's where the tragic mulatto story comes in, and the whole idea of passing being desirable. And then you had the response to that thinking with black is beautiful, and so on. The dark side of that mindset comes in reduction of the black experience down into essentialism, and then basically, we end up fighting each other. This is really what I mean by how living in a sea of white supremacy has messed us up.

But I never accused him of misunderstanding the black experience because he wasn't dark enough, I said he misunderstood it because he's a Jamaican immigrant and as such doesn't have the same experiences as those who hail from the legacy of American slavery. I didn't say that was a bad or a good thing, just a thing. He kept wanting to fight it as if going to the museum is the same as living it. So I don't even know where this line of argument came up or how it got attached to me when I literally never made that argument. I made the argument that he was an online Rachel Dolezal, which is a completely different accusation.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

gfsincere posted:

You're conflating people saying you were wrong about the science of genetics and how it works, with Amergin. A known lovely troll. I think you need to a very deep breath and step away from the keyboard. Maybe go get a soda or something.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am glad this discussion is happening.

Truth. Some of us need good examples here and there.

Sharkie posted:

Yeah the conversation among black posters in this thread has been interesting but the white guys coming in to roll their eyes at it because it's about black stuff or use it as an excuse to get it side shots at BLM have been pretty bad.

Wait what? I missed that one.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I'm not sure why genetics is the science people think they can common sense their way through, but here we are. The amount of migration (flow of genes) between the populations involved would preclude any meaningful genetic differentiation. The time frame in terms of generations is quite short, but even it it was thousands of years, the interbreeding between these groups, which we know was very common, would thwart any eugenic effort that there may have been.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

The paper bag test was (and according to my mother still is) used for AKAs at some schools in the south.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You're conflating people saying you were wrong about the science of genetics and how it works, with Amergin. A known lovely troll. I think you need to a very deep breath and step away from the keyboard. Maybe go get a soda or something.

He misunderstood the phrase "good science" and hasn't been able to let go of it since.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

gfsincere posted:

But I never accused him of misunderstanding the black experience because he wasn't dark enough, I said he misunderstood it because he's a Jamaican immigrant and as such doesn't have the same experiences as those who hail from the legacy of American slavery. I didn't say that was a bad or a good thing, just a thing. He kept wanting to fight it as if going to the museum is the same as living it. So I don't even know where this line of argument came up or how it got attached to me when I literally never made that argument. I made the argument that he was an online Rachel Dolezal, which is a completely different accusation.

Except Jamaica has the same history of Chattel slavery that we do. Do you think them black folks swam over there? The gently caress are you on about?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

This never happened. You misread the poster.

You have claimed this many times in the thread, but it never, ever happened.

Except it did and I quoted it, but okay.

Keep on with the historical rewrites.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Except Jamaica has the same history of Chattel slavery that we do. Do you think them black folks swam over there? The gently caress are you on about?

So does parts of Africa! Guess that makes all of our experiences exactly the same then!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

Except it did and I quoted it, but okay.

Keep on with the historical rewrites.

I was the one who used that phrase. By good science I meant "science that is well-founded" not "science that is morally just." It is not an uncommon phrase and I was not aware you would misunderstand it so drastically so for that I apologize.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

My 11 year old sister has a really close friend who once told her "I wish I was whiter like you so I could have pretty hair."

It was one of the most depressing things I've ever heard. :smith:

I had a friend in kindergarten who was convinced he would be white when he got older because his palms already were and looking back that was real hosed up who told that kid that?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gfsincere posted:

Yes, we got it. You call every argument you don't like a strawman, every white person you don't like a klansman, and every black person you don't like a sellout. I, in turn, call you a dumbass.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SquadronROE posted:

Fun evening as in popping a blood vessel? Also god drat that is awful. People are awful. Also I am sorry for being seen as trying to stifle black people discussing things with other black people. I was just getting annoyed at all the dumb insults flying around, it didn't seem productive.

I mean it's interesting if you like learning things. It's lovely as hell in practice though.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I apologize for sticking my white rear end where it doesn't belong, but you guys have literally been arguing in circles with each other for the past 10 pages. It's like Groundhog Day at the top of each page. Maybe a break would be good for everyone?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

gfsincere posted:

But I never accused him of misunderstanding the black experience because he wasn't dark enough, I said he misunderstood it because he's a Jamaican immigrant and as such doesn't have the same experiences as those who hail from the legacy of American slavery. I didn't say that was a bad or a good thing, just a thing.

gfsincere posted:

poo poo like this is why black Americans don't like black immigrants on the highest of keys. It's really not the goddamn same. You think your immigrant experience adds up to growing up in the projects of Chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther, and you're displaying all of the traits we list when we encounter y'all. You act like you know everything about our experience without living none of it and you come off just as hosed up as the white people that we complain about, especially with that snide rear end "you think we don't have empathy" comment, which oddly enough your posts make it seem like you lack all of it, including any sort of tact, because you're def breaking rule number 1 right now and that's how I know you and I aren't in the same group.

Nope no implicitly negative statements in here no sir

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Nice Meltdown.

You know what, this is all my fault. My bad for thinking I could have a productive conversation with someone from Alabama. I'm sure you have a cousin to gently caress somewhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Acinonyx posted:

I'm not sure why genetics is the science people think they can common sense their way through, but here we are. The amount of migration (flow of genes) between the populations involved would preclude any meaningful genetic differentiation. The time frame in terms of generations is quite short, but even it it was thousands of years, the interbreeding between these groups, which we know was very common, would thwart any eugenic effort that there may have been.
I think the reason people leap to genetics is because residual cultural programming strongly suggests some kind of fundamental difference in between people, like with Calvinism but extended into physical/genetic facts. This isn't because of "genetics" in the scientific sense (though these ideas may affect which things get researched and with how much effort), but in various ideas that float around, like "only stupid people are breeding" and so on.

Things like education and economics are both complex and boring, and often don't really present any good "reason" why things are the way they are.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

gfsincere posted:

If black people cannot have an open discussion on very real political differences among ourselves, and are always going to have to be deferential to black movements over all else, we are neutering ourselves. It'd be like saying because you support animal welfare, it's best not to complain about how lovely PETA is.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

I honestly dunno if they are trying to tack back to the center to pick up moderates and just hoping that their base is too far in to back out or if they are intentionally trying to create confusion around this issue.

anyone who has a problem with it can go gently caress themselves since one of the few good things on this stupid internet is you can learn a lot about groups of people 20 years ago would be mostly walled off from each other.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
As a white guy I'd really love to wander in to this conversation but like a vampire I cannot do so without an invititation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

gfsincere posted:

So does parts of Africa! Guess that makes all of our experiences exactly the same then!

It gives us similar perspective that can be shared. Just like being black in the south is unique to being black in a northern inner city. Our experiences are all unique, but we still can offer something to the conversation of the overall black american experience.

I mean, I've picked cotton and lived in the south my entire life. I don't know poo poo about urban black folks. But I know our struggle is similar, and can empathize. But here you are, trying to be the one true voice of blackdom, while going on about eugenics when you are completely 100% wrong about the subject.

• Locked thread