Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lezard_valeth posted:

That was like 8 years ago. In any other manga I would have to write a 5000+ words essay to catch you up.

But fortunately! This is Bleach!

Aizen beats everyone. Ichigo gets a one-time only out of nowhere powerup and beats Aizen. Ichigo loses his powers.

New arc starts, some shady guys want to help Ichigo gets his powers back, but NOT REALLY OMG YOU JUST GOT AIZENED. SS returns and gives Ichigo's powers back because apparently they could always do that, the bad guys "die" arc ends.

Quincy arc, 28 new villains appear. They are Quincy. Ichigo turns out to also be a Quincy. I am only tossing that line in for flavour, because it ends up not mattering at all. The Big Bad of this arc has the power of retcon. Long fights against the 26 villains. Bleach gets canceled. Ishida gets a Macguffing arrow that can turn the retcon power off, Ichigo diagonally slashes Big Bad. Big Bad dies. Ichigo marries Orihime and Tumblr is on fire.

The (Perfect) End.

Those half hollow dudes jobbed worse than Renji, amounting to only 1 victory throughout the 400 chapters between you last read. Last arc they didn't even use their half hollow powers at all even when Hollows turned out to be poison to Quincy.

Okay but what about those Half Hollow guys. They seemed like they were gonna do something important.

Also what the hell was Chad's deal? He had like Monster hollow arms right? Were there more people like him or was he a unique weirdo (that did nothing.)?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Oda says to, "get some rest", aka stop writing. Kubo says he's surprised he finished in only 15 years. The loving jokes write themselves.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

clap clap

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay but what about those Half Hollow guys. They seemed like they were gonna do something important.

Also what the hell was Chad's deal? He had like Monster hollow arms right? Were there more people like him or was he a unique weirdo (that did nothing.)?

The Vizards were a fet fart. Hyped a lot, yet they accomplished less than the inferior non-Hollows. Really the only one that ever accomplished something of worth was the fat kido guy, and I don't think he even needed to be Half Hollow for his teleportation trick.

And Chad was a Fullbringer, aka a weirdo who got weird because his mom got shanked by a Hollow or something. Think Hollow Aids.

Advice posted:

Oda says to, "get some rest", aka stop writing. Kubo says he's surprised he finished in only 15 years. The loving jokes write themselves.

That's what I got from Oda as well. Also, Kubo has a very fitting avatar.

(I also find it kinda weird to have a kind of congratulation page that includes that guy who gets the congratulations.)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 22, 2016

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I managed to escape hundreds of chapters ago, but did we ever see Aizen's Bankai? Doesn't a captain of SS need a Bankai to become leader of a squad?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Sydnesider posted:

I managed to escape hundreds of chapters ago, but did we ever see Aizen's Bankai? Doesn't a captain of SS need a Bankai to become leader of a squad?

No, we never saw any bankai from Aizen. (My personal pet theory is that he just faked having one with his shikai instead.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What would Aizen's Bankai even be?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I just remembered my least favorite thing with the Vaizard. The vice captain who had 69 on his cheek cuz the one Vaizard had it on him and saved him when he was a babby. Why the hell did that guy have it? Was he just a huge fan of the number and/or the act?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thank you

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One piece sucks naruto blows and dbz is garbage long live bleach

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Bleach is dead. Long live Bleach.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Either a chair, or Kubo himself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Togashi went on hiatus again so he wouldn't have to congratulate Kubo for Bleach.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Togashi went on hiatus again so he wouldn't have to congratulate Kubo for Bleach.

Plausible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

his bankai gives him motivations and depth, so naturally it must never see the light of day

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are you for loving real lol
"Yo Dick, despite standing orders to ban you on sight for the mere act of posting, I've decided instead to let you keep posting so long as you don't do one of two things."

"What you mean like these things?"

"Yeah, like that."

*Bans.*

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Suicide by cop is a heck of a thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Chad Fullbringing his skin will never not be funny to me.

HIs loving skin.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Great quote/username combo

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hey guys remember when Kubo said the Fullbringer arc would be about Chad?

God I loving love how ridiculously awfully Chad was handled.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BlitzBlast posted:

Hey guys remember when Kubo said the Fullbringer arc would be about Chad?

God I loving love how ridiculously awfully Chad was handled.

Remember when he said the Blood War arc would be about Ishida? :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....Speaking of Ichigo's friends...why did Aizen and gang kidnap Orihime, again? I seem to recall they wanted her to make the king's key or some nonsense with her powers...but then they just say "ah gently caress it" and sortie off to Karakura to murder a bunch of people and make it that way, even though there was no real reason to think Ichigo and Pals or even the captains who showed up would be able to take down all of the Espadas+Evil Captains on their home turf.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Hey remember when we got Ishida' motivation for the entire arc explained? Was he pulling a Gin, aka the long con, because it seemed like the arrow gifted by Team Dad was a last second kinda thing. Did he seriously just believe Ywach was unstoppable?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Spiritus Nox posted:

....Speaking of Ichigo's friends...why did Aizen and gang kidnap Orihime, again? I seem to recall they wanted her to make the king's key or some nonsense with her powers...but then they just say "ah gently caress it" and sortie off to Karakura to murder a bunch of people and make it that way, even though there was no real reason to think Ichigo and Pals or even the captains who showed up would be able to take down all of the Espadas+Evil Captains on their home turf.

I think he literally admitted he did it to make Soul Society think she had some significance, even though doing so kicked their training and preperation into high gear, giving them what they needed to defeat him.

So really standard Aizen.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Tunicate posted:

He thinks chad is the bomb, and bleach's kuwabara.

Kuwabara would be a lot more relevant in Bleach than Chad was, because in case you forgot, he has a sword.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hope that Tite takes a break, pairs up with a good author and just draws cool stuff again. It'd be nice to see him care about a project again, since he obviously didn't give a poo poo about the past four years of bleach.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spiritus Nox posted:

The whole thing was a gigantic red herring. Her power actually wasn't really that important, and I think she was just being used as bait to lure Ichigo and a chunk of the captains to HM so Aizen could peace out and blow up Karakura. Except Ichigo showed up anyway. But that was apparently also part of the plan because Aizen needed Ichigo to power up so he could "eat" him or something, and HM was an effective gauntlet to do that. Except nothing ever came of it. Also Aizen clearly didn't need to divide the shinigami forces because he was capable of solo'ing the entire captaincy sans Yamamoto, who he specifically prepared a countermeasure for. Also all the Espada turned out to be pointless because they all died and accomplished nothing, and them losing didn't impact Aizen's plan in any way.

Advice posted:

Hey remember when we got Ishida' motivation for the entire arc explained? Was he pulling a Gin, aka the long con, because it seemed like the arrow gifted by Team Dad was a last second kinda thing. Did he seriously just believe Ywach was unstoppable?

He wanted to get revenge for mommy and was a mole all along. Except he ended up accomplishing nothing by joining Yhwach because his power turned out to be pointless to the ultimate conclusion, he learned no real information vital to Yhwach's defeat during his time with them, and nobody was ever fooled for a second that he was secretly a traitor. Hell, Ryuken could have shot Yhwach with the Dues Ex Machina arrow instead while Ishida played with himself back on Earth for the whole arc, and literally nothing would change.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JohnnyCocksville posted:

One piece sucks naruto blows and dbz is garbage long live bleach

By the way, you won the contest.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I found Ishida's defection to be really funny.

Like his friends know he is faking it, the Quincies know he is faking it, and he was really trying his hardest and believed he was fooling someone. His whole plan was to plant a bomb at the enemy base, which included a guy who could regenerate from multiple parts, a guy who could change the lethal dose of concepts, a guy who got stronger the more you kill him, a guy who can revert all damage back, a chicken god, and god.

Ishida's plan is right up there with FFVIII Rinoa's "Let's trick the witch into putting an anti witch bracelet" for most retarded plans ever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

he didn't care about her, he just used her as a lure to draw some people away from the big dumb fight

even tho he could have just killed everyone himself whenever he felt like it :shrug:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To simplify things,

In Bleach absolutely nobody did anything worthwhile with the exception of Urahara and Ryuken.

In Arrancar arc, Aizen kills Harribell and proceeds to demonstrate that he could have 1 vs all Soul Society sans Yamamoto. If the other Espada fights had dragged on, he would have probably killed them too. He only lost because Urahara planted a seal on him.

In YHWACH arc, Yhwach kills his Quincies twice and proceeds to demonstrate that he could have 1 vs all Soul Society plus Zero Squad plus Aizen, and only lost because Ryuken found a Kriptonite arrow.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Regeneration is just a really lovely thing overall in shounen I think.

I mean, YYH used it well and Black Clover made it work and One Piece has Logias but those don't actually count since Marco's fruit is the only actually regeneration thing.

But for the most part, it's just annoying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Regeneration is just a really lovely thing overall in shounen I think.

majin buu was cool actually

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well yeah but that's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball gets away with almost everything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, the Majin Buu arc stayed comedic for a good while, and Majin Buu himself wasn't vastly stronger than the rest of the cast but that's a power level discussion I don't think this thread needs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if your hero has a sword, then you should have him face problems that can be solved with a sword. aizen was immune to being cut by a sword, even when the power gap was minimized. ywach was an amorphous blob at the end, but since he would generally start talking about his powers again whenever anyone tried to hit him it is unclear just how resilient he was.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Personal, terribly thought out, idea is that since Bankais are supposed to be upscaled versions, that Aizen's would be mental & memory domination related instead of sensory trickery. Similar to his shikai the victim is unaware of it until Aizen decides otherwise. Momo being told to stab herself repeatedly in front of Toshiro is right up Aizen's rear end in a top hat alley. Or in Ichigo's case, force his friends to cannon fodder themselves upon his blade. Still broken powerful and weak to Yamamoto since Yamamoto would still be insane enough to supernova himself to win a fight.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 23, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What if Aizen doesn't have a bankai and just tricked everyone by releasing his shikai and making them think it was his bankai.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What if Aizen doesn't have a bankai and just tricked everyone by releasing his shikai and making them think it was his bankai.

This is probably the actual answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Back in the day I thought Aizen's Bankai would be related to manifesting it's opponents deepest memories or some psychological bullshit.

Then the 3rd Captain filler arc came about, and one of the mooks had said power, and used it on Ichigo to haunt him with memories of his mother.

Bleach Filler made better use of its characters background and motivations than the manga itself.

• Locked thread