Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gibbo posted:

I'm not looking for other suggestions. I have tome. I was just semi interested in that one. I also find the idea of naming it brogue as a way of insinuating it is "pleb friendly" loving disgusting.

Is this a joke? Are you deliberately playing up to some stupid parody of a roguelike player? Do you still complain about jocks in your thirties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
In this genre, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and hubris.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

John Lee posted:

Recommendation: Save calling things loving disgusting for things that are actually reprehensible.

Like himself.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Oxfords, not brogues.

I say this but my best pair of shoes are brogued so I'm also a big dirty liar.

Hey, uh, :siren: alart :siren: Conquest of Elysium 4 is on mad sale right now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/403950

97/100 World Cities would not define this game as a roguelike, however it's random as all get out, full of wacky fantasy goodness, and puts a solid scratch to the explore and conquer itch you might have. Do it do it do it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

Oxfords, not brogues.

97/100 World Cities would not define this game as a roguelike, however it's random as all get out, full of wacky fantasy goodness, and puts a solid scratch to the explore and conquer itch you might have. Do it do it do it.

Wake me up when they get around to Dom 5.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Wow. I had no idea that game even existed and that sounds so right up my alley it's not even funny. YOINK

Starward Rogue was in the same boat (it's basically a sci fi version of Binding of Isaac, minus the hilariously polarizing freak baby art aesthetic), but I bounced off that game hard because that's one game type where Arcen's graphical style holds it back hardcore.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 22, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Wow is right. I didn't think my bad joke would be so well received.

Calm down :spergin:s. I have never even played brogue. I think the title is a little stupid (well, less so now that I know where it comes from), but it was a dumb 5am joke. Whatever happened to sa being a comedy forum.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gibbo posted:

Calm down :spergin:s. I have never even played brogue. I think the title is a little stupid (well, less so now that I know where it comes from), but it was a dumb 5am joke. Whatever happened to sa being a comedy forum.

It's kind of hard to fall back on the "comedy forum lol" defense if nobody can tell you were trying to make a joke.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gibbo posted:

Wow is right. I didn't think my bad joke would be so well received.

Truly, you are the puppet master and you played us expertly.

Alternatively, you're the autistic sperg who needs to calm down. If that makes you mad, then I'm just joking retroactively.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I'm not trying to play puppet troll master or retroactive joke recovery at all.

I thought it was fairly apparent since I started with a "thanks but I'm not looking for suggestions" statement and then made the stupid over the top comment second. If it had been serious would I not just have skipped straight to "gently caress this game" part. I was also tired when I wrote it.

If you're going to hate someone for a lovely joke about a game then let's do it internally and move on

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's kind of hard to fall back on the "comedy forum lol" defense if nobody can tell you were trying to make a joke.

Zaodai posted:

Truly, you are the puppet master and you played us expertly.

Alternatively, you're the autistic sperg who needs to calm down. If that makes you mad, then I'm just joking retroactively.

Show mercy! The guy admitted to making a joke that fell flat, that's shame enough. That said, I'm a big soft ball of cookie dough with terminal empathy who just wants everyone to crush monsters in harmony.

pre:
] Madjack reads a Scroll of Xeracnm P'larfderf
] It was a Scroll of Change Subject!
] The subject shifts and warps uncontrollably
A Fun Game That Isn't A Roguelike But Kind Of Is

If any of you can get your hands on Firefly, the board game, you might dig on the randomness and open exploration aspect. Your crew is assembled piecemeal, the missions are randomized as are the events that transpire during them. If you like FTL where you have a clock and make do with what cards are drawn off the deck, you'd enjoy playing Firefly, even in solitaire mode (which you will of course do because you have no friends, goony goon) actually especially in solitaire mode it has a real procgen space adventure feel. The rules are just fiddly enough to have depth without being too slow, and you can create lots of personalized start and win conditions.

I wish more board games were like this!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

madjackmcmad posted:

A Fun Game That Isn't A Roguelike But Kind Of Is

If any of you can get your hands on Firefly, the board game, you might dig on the randomness and open exploration aspect. Your crew is assembled piecemeal, the missions are randomized as are the events that transpire during them. If you like FTL where you have a clock and make do with what cards are drawn off the deck, you'd enjoy playing Firefly, even in solitaire mode (which you will of course do because you have no friends, goony goon) actually especially in solitaire mode it has a real procgen space adventure feel. The rules are just fiddly enough to have depth without being too slow, and you can create lots of personalized start and win conditions.

I wish more board games were like this!

Firefly Boardgame is trash. The real boardgame Rogue-Like is Talisman: The Magical Quest Game

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sa is still a comedy forum. here is my list of ways to clown on brogue that immediately parse as funny jokes for great laughs lah:

brogue? with the ascii graphics it's more like old fogue
brogue? if I wanted to inhale deadly gas I'd visit my uncle milton
the treatment of monkeys in brogue was already abhorrent, wand of empowerment my rear end, I'm done

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Firefly Boardgame is trash. The real boardgame Rogue-Like is Talisman: The Magical Quest Game

biiiiitch plz

We bust out this horseshit game and every expansion over Christmas time every year. I need to get The Cataclysm for 2016, don't let me forget.

gently caress Talisman. It's a roguelike adventure except your keyboard gets stuck and you are forced to move 1d6 tiles in the direction you choose. Now try to pick up an item (or visit a town). Weep, weep sad tears and wish you had done anything but play Talisman.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I just bought Talisman to play with my little family. I haven't played since like 1994 with a bunch of old BBSr's in some park in Florida. I remember it being fun, soon I will indoctrinate the young ones! :joinus:

Really need to get them going on a D&D campaign too, before they're too cool and teenagery to hang out with dad.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

No point playing Talisman unless you're playing the Insane Clown Posse version, "The Quest for Shangri-La."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Unormal posted:

I just bought Talisman to play with my little family. I haven't played since like 1994 with a bunch of old BBSr's in some park in Florida. I remember it being fun, soon I will indoctrinate the young ones! :joinus:

Really need to get them going on a D&D campaign too, before they're too cool and teenagery to hang out with dad.

If you're worried about that, get them to play Shadowrun instead. You're never too cool fight The Man and his giant magical hellbeasts. :razz:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

No point playing Talisman unless you're playing the Insane Clown Posse version, "The Quest for Shangri-La."

:eyepop:
Oh man, I never knew I could want a board game more than I want ICP Talisman right now. Why did I not know about this sooner?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

If you're worried about that, get them to play Shadowrun instead. You're never too cool fight The Man and his giant magical hellbeasts. :razz:

Yeah the hope is the basic teenage need to get someone to DM a game can override how uncool hanging out with dad is.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Oh man, I never knew I could want a board game more than I want ICP Talisman right now. Why did I not know about this sooner?

I bet the Elixir of Faygo card is really OP

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Weedle posted:

I assumed this post was a joke, because there's no way those two concepts could possibly go together, ha ha, you're hilarious.

...when's ICPHack?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Unormal posted:

Be kind. Play something a bit more 21st century than D&D and its ilk.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Be kind. Play something a bit more 21st century than D&D and its ilk.

Kids will learn the THAC0 table, and they will like it :colbert:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Modern D&D can be explained to a 6 year old without even trying, and not just that kooky genius prodigy down the street who's been winning chess tournaments almost as long as she's been able to walk.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jazerus posted:

I bet the Elixir of Faygo card is really OP

:eyepop: wtf

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

That looks entertainingly bizarre as hell and it runs on Linux? Sold.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I used to preside over a game of Talisman for a small class of teenagers with autism, if they could make it through the whole day without hitting somebody or throwing their math assignment in the garbage. Readers may anticipate this post concluding with "and then the game ended in blood and tears" but this game was the poo poo for my kids and they treated Talisman time as sacred. Probably learned most of their adult social skills earning the right to play this game.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Talisman may be the worst case of RNG Hell made into a board game (possibly beaten out or tied with Space Hulk), but at least it's not Monopoly.

This is from the opinion who enjoys playing Talisman with friends on PC for the purpose of having a Mario Party equivalent to get upset/poo poo talk each other to.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Can we go back to bashing that guy for his Brogue comment and stop talking about Talisman, the worst game ever
I spent all night writing up a design document for a roguelike I want to make someday

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

Oxfords, not brogues.

Can you tell me any more about this game? What are some of the factions like?

EDIT: For example, what would you say is the weirdest faction, gameplay-wise?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 23, 2016

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

biiiiitch plz

We bust out this horseshit game and every expansion over Christmas time every year. I need to get The Cataclysm for 2016, don't let me forget.

gently caress Talisman. It's a roguelike adventure except your keyboard gets stuck and you are forced to move 1d6 tiles in the direction you choose. Now try to pick up an item (or visit a town). Weep, weep sad tears and wish you had done anything but play Talisman.

Talisman is the one non-scrabble board game that my wife plays because it's so simple, and can be easily enjoyed with multiple glasses of wine. It's pretty and fun as well, and with a couple of house rules loses a lot of RNG tedium.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PotatoManJack posted:

Talisman is the one non-scrabble board game that my wife plays because it's so simple, and can be easily enjoyed with multiple glasses of wine. It's pretty and fun as well, and with a couple of house rules loses a lot of RNG tedium.

Agreed on the house rules! If you allow players the option of rolling the d6 or moving a single space in either direction you can turn Talisman into a much more interesting game. That way people can actually farm spaces, and combat is much more common because everyone "threatens" the spaces next to themselves.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Firefly The Board Game is pretty bad too, honestly, you're essentially playing in a vacuum and a reliable way to win is to sit around until you have a full crew then mash the situation missions over and over because you're infinitely more likely to get through them then. It's no Talisman but it did feel pretty lifeless to actually play.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I know the answer is "don't play nethack" but if I want to play nethack, what's the most user friendly form to get it in?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

I know the answer is "don't play nethack" but if I want to play nethack, what's the most user friendly form to get it in?

Pathos Nethack is dummy mode, no keyboard commands just point and click:
http://pathos.x10host.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhYwXSOQrs

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So finally yesterday I decided to sit and do the Python Libctod tutorial and get actually making a roguelike. Turns out everyone was right and it's an amazing tutorial. It probably helps I use Python for my academic work but I'm still kinda stunned to be sitting here 24 hours later with a fully-working simple roguelike. Earlier tonight I added A* pathfinding and BSP dungeon generation to it and actually had fun writing code for the first time in ages.

My nebulous goal for now is to just implement a bunch of different useful systems for dungeon generation, interesting enemy behaviours, and combat systems, and try and get a feel for what environments and mechanics actually play well before I start working on ~~~my big roguelike dreams~~~. I've resolved not to care how ugly or stupid or derivative my game is because if I jumped straight into some huge project no doubt it'd be far, far worse. The one thing that I can probably do myself is weird monster behaviours, since agent-based simulation is my research area, but the rest is all pretty drat mysterious at this point.

For those of you devs/aspiring devs in the thread, can I ask what do you think's a good place to go next to gain more knowledge, particularly about dungeon generation? I'd kill for some good algorithms for caves, twisty forest paths, and architectural styles that I could play with and pull apart, for example -- I mean I know I could probably use a CA for generating caves, etc., but I don't want to reinvent the wheel too much when so many others have probably done way better stuff that I could actually learn a few things from. Are there any useful, preferably Python-based resources for roguelike-relevant things out there that you'd recommend? Any particularly cool/unique open-source working examples to check out/be inspired by?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DisDisDis posted:

Nethack 4 is a variant with a lot of quality-of-life and user-friendliness changes while also staying very faithful to the original Nethack in terms of gameplay/balance. It's based on nethack 3.4.3 tharther than the more recent 3.6.0 though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I picked up Conquest of Elysium 4 a while ago and it's become one of my favorite games since then. Never had the time or energy to spare getting good at its big brother Dominions, but Conquest was just about right for me. Doubt it's considered a proper roguelike but it's still fun as hell, I'd be interested in hearing what people just picking it up right now think about it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it looks really cool but I was hoping the battles would be a tactical affair instead of automated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
im gonna try CoE4 knowing nothing about it and not understandign anything on the steam page