Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
old people will never be able to figure out conference calls because they don't understand the core concept of buttons in the meeting application vs buttons on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Shaggar posted:

old people will never be able to figure out conference calls because they don't understand the core concept of buttons in the meeting application vs buttons on the phone.

with a strong correlation to why they can't give up on voicemail

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
who needs an online meeting when you have a polycom phone!!

actually screw the polycom just dial on your lovely cell phone and toss it into the middle of the conference room table on speaker, hearing the other party as nothing but intermittent voices that sound like a 8kbps mp3 is a good way to communicate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zamujasa posted:

actually screw the polycom just dial on your lovely cell phone and toss it into the middle of the conference room table on speaker, hearing the other party as nothing but intermittent voices that sound like a 8kbps mp3 is a good way to communicate

no please hold the phone on speaker to your ear then move it away and talk at it to respond like youre using a busted walkie talkie

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Zamujasa posted:

"Uh, getting a lot of background noise, can everyone on speaker please shut their office doors :smaug:"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

no please hold the phone on speaker to your ear then move it away and talk at it to respond like youre using a busted walkie talkie

why do people do this

i don't understand

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

duTrieux. posted:

why do people do this

i don't understand

Learned behavior from Nextel chirp phones (only 90s kids!)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

why do people do this

i don't understand

because on reality shows celebrities have to put the cell phone on speaker

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i had an anti-clusterfuck meeting today

i finally goto to use our executive conference room. this room is equipped with a full-room audio setup, all run from an ipad bolted to a stand. every seat has a microphone on an adjustable stem and each has a big mute button with a nice, bright led indicating whether you were on or not. the audio was great - the echo cancellation was perfect, the voice quality was amazing and everything just worked.

too bad we probably spent a bare minimum of 6.5 figgies making this one conference room not suck (especially since its also soundproofed because SENSITIVE BUSINESS STRATEGY)

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Is there ever really a reason why you need an online meeting and you couldn't just send and email or was so important you couldn't just send the person there?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

vodkat posted:

Is there ever really a reason why you need an online meeting and you couldn't just send and email or was so important you couldn't just send the person there?

People don't read email

Like, ever as near as I can tell

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Arcsech posted:

People don't read email

Like, ever as near as I can tell

i do, but then i only acknowledge the ones that need actual input, instead of succumbing to the vast reply-all chains that our PMs put together in the ancient PM-fu method of adding more and more people to your reply-all mess until someone solves your problem out of pity or annoyance

because if you give in to them, they won't stop.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my coworkers think they're being clever when they just start ccing more and more people on their whiny emails

as though its some trick they came up with

as though its something to be proud of

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vodkat posted:

engagement

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

my coworkers think they're being clever when they just start ccing more and more people on their whiny emails

as though its some trick they came up with

as though its something to be proud of

it seems really hard to force people to come to a consensus unless you can get everyone into one spot where you can say OK NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE THE DECISION SO GET OUT YOUR CLICKERS PEOPLE

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
I'm the guy who calls into a bridge and just yells out my name and what I need with total disregard to the existing conversation

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I'm the person that repeatedly interrupts everyone mid discussion to loudly ask, "who just joined?"

the Cisco join and drop beeps are both my muse and my master

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Clockwerk posted:

I'm the person that repeatedly interrupts everyone mid discussion to loudly ask, "who just joined?"

carry on then posted:

WELCOME TO THE TELECONFERENCE SERVICE. PLEASE ENTER YOUR ACCESS CODE. FOLLOWED BY THE POUND SIGN.

THERE ARE...FOUR...PARTICIPANTS ON YOUR CALL, INCLUDING YOU. YOU ARE JOINING YOUR CONFERENCE AS A PARTICIPANT. FOR A MENU OF AVAILABLE COMMANDS, PRESS STAR POUND *BOOP BEEP*

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
SWAT CALL: $someRandomTerm isn't calculated correctly!

Every dev and tech related person is in a drat globalmeet for some SWAT thingy.

WTF is a SWAT.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

special workflows and teleconferences

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

special workflows and teleconferences

Why the gently caress are we using more arcane acronyms instead of "we broke a thing fix it"

Also the first thing I heard was "are you using the right version of $tool?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Space Whale posted:

Why the gently caress are we using more arcane acronyms instead of "we broke a thing fix it"

Also the first thing I heard was "are you using the right version of $tool?"
I'm on undertow, isn't that the version we're using?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

I'm on undertow, isn't that the version we're using?

nice

Also lol:

"Do we KNOW it's wrong or do you just THINK it's wrong?"

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
It seems wrong. Are you kidding?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
"A hundred thousand minutes is a lot of minutes."

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Has anyone hunted down and killed the person/team that came up with the term "webinar" yet? That would brighten my work day.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

*blo-bloop* KSHHHHHHRTSHHHHHTTTSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTHSHTHTHTHTHHAHTH
"hey whoever -- HEY WHOEVER JUST JOINED PLEASE MUTE YOURSELF"
KSSSHHHHFHSHHFHHSHFHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSHFH THP TH PTHSHHHHHHHHHHHFHFHF TPTP
*silence*

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Millstone posted:

I'm the guy who calls into a bridge and just yells out my name and what I need with total disregard to the existing conversation

im stealing your bold and decisive strategy

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

a cyberpunk goose posted:

*blo-bloop* KSHHHHHHRTSHHHHHTTTSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTHSHTHTHTHTHHAHTH
"hey whoever -- HEY WHOEVER JUST JOINED PLEASE MUTE YOURSELF"
KSSSHHHHFHSHHFHHSHFHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSHFH THP TH PTHSHHHHHHHHHHHFHFHF TPTP
*silence*

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Raged posted:

Has anyone hunted down and killed the person/team that came up with the term "webinar" yet? That would brighten my work day.

same

the word webinar on its own is in my auto block list to catch all the loving spam i get offering them.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Clockwerk posted:

I like that the Cisco join beep and the drop beep sound almost exactly the same

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

qntm posted:

I like that the Cisco join beep and the drop beep sound almost exactly the same

and yet think of all the times where conference bridges with different beeps still cause someone to ask "who just joined?" when someone clearly dropped, pausing the meeting to wait for several seconds and, sometimes, for the person to ask again

speaking to the ghost of conference callers past

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

death to all forms of conference calling technology

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

hand up if you had a call that took 10 goddamn minutes just to get to anything resembling business *raises paw*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

death to all forms of conference calling technology

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Iridium posted:

update- boss running the skype followed this by closing down the whole meeting while trying to pass control to someone else.

he's giving up and trying to use his old Webex instead. this may not work, given that the office is trying to shut all of those down

update2- indeed, that didn't work. they're using the skype texting to coordinate everyone on the fuckery. one of our division people us offering to use his bridge instead which I imagine my boss, the poster child of insecure, low-T middle managers everywhere, won't want to admit to needing to use.

quoting myself here cuz this all just happened again, except replace boss with project manager, and instead of 'one of our division people' use 'one of our tech vendors'

perhaps the PM needs to run a lessons learned meeting after each meeting

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

maniacdevnull posted:

hand up if you had a call that took 10 goddamn minutes just to get to anything resembling business *raises paw*

same but every meeting

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

same but every meeting

one of the best engineers in our building routinely shows up to meetings 5-10 minutes late

this has never once caused a problem that i can remember. it is almost certainly intentional

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Thanks Ants posted:

same but every meeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'