Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

If anyone hasn't read it, it's here: http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm The visual design of that website is horrendous, so be prepared to copy-paste the text into something so you can read it without your eyes bleeding. But it's worth it, the man absolutely nails what went wrong with Voyager.

After reading that it really does feel like some sort of cosmic justice that Bryan Fuller gets to do the new Trek series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Powered Descent posted:

If anyone hasn't read it, it's here: http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm The visual design of that website is horrendous, so be prepared to copy-paste the text into something so you can read it without your eyes bleeding. But it's worth it, the man absolutely nails what went wrong with Voyager.

What the hell is wrong with their web designer? :psyduck:

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
I have arrived to talk about Neelix's lovely fashion sense and how he or his species don't view colors the way most humanoids do.

Or maybe they're like Walt Disney's version of lemmings and their collective sub-consciousness thinks they're overpopulated so their culture compensates by indirectly goading other species into punching them in the dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Riker was about to start flirting with Janeway but the time constraints of the scene derailed his game.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Eiba posted:

I was a pretty small child when TNG was first airing... and I have vivid memories of this episode and how utterly terrifying it was. I don't care how little sense it made, that scene in the holodeck where Geordi removes all the people and there's still a humanoid shadow is still one of the most fundamentally disturbing things to me, and I still sometimes have nightmares that feel like that scene, twenty years later.

Thanks Star Trek.

Also me too. Spooky.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Trek episode that scared the poo poo outta me as a kid was "Where Silence has Lease" with that weirdo freaky face thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

Fun fact: that's Gene Roddenberry's voice on the intercom, reporting the meatloaf situation to the Captain.

If I remember right, aside from maybe a couple of those background intercom voices occasionally heard on the bridge in TOS, that was his only cameo in all of Star Trek.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Evek posted:

Also me too. Spooky.

Add me to the list as well. Only scene that freaked me out more was Crusher in the cargo bay/morgue with all the sitting corpses from Night Terrors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Schisms freaked me out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
World's new spine noodle grossed me the gently caress out.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kneelix' goon beard is the loving worst.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Conspiracy totally aggravated my childhood fear of bugs, earwigs specifically. gently caress that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Rewatched the first Trekkies today. I like how it doesn't even pretend to be a legit documentary and embraces how pants on head the fandom gets. Never can get enough of the Spiner-Femme that stares longingly at the hill Data's house is on the other side of.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brent time :unsmigghh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Insane Totoro posted:

What the hell is wrong with their web designer? :psyduck:

That website probably dates from the early 2000s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harry got sucked out a hull breach but then I remembered there's a backup copy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rhyno posted:

That was the copy that was sucked out of the breach, Harry is the only survivor of the real voyager on a ship of duplicates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harry should have grabbed those twins he and Tom dated and dragged them across the rift. Quadruplets are way hotter.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Schisms freaked me out

Yeah, the weird click-click aliens gave me nightmares (of course, so did the lame hyrdophobic aliens from Signs, so maybe kid me was just pretty dumb) and I didn't rewatch it until almost 20 years later. In retrospect, I can see why it scared me, but it was still just a dumb goofy episode with sets and props that looked way cheesier than I remembered. It's also one of the many later Berman era episodes that deal with alien abductions, fringe science/parapsychology, and UFO lore and those are generally pretty bad, but with some arresting nightmare imagery around the edges.

I think Braga, in particular, kinda wished he were an X-Files writer because so much of the poo poo he wrote had nothing to do with real science or science fiction and everything to do with crazy tabloid nonsense about repressed memories, devolution, ancient astronauts, probe-happy alien abductors, and mind control (take a shot every time Voyager's Doctor uses the word "engram" then shoot yourself). I mean, they lost so much perspective that in The 37s they felt free to just casually use alien abductions in Earth's past as a plot device, but didn't really even care enough about the ramifications this would have for human history to say who the aliens were or why they went halfway across the galaxy just to gank some Earthlings... and then there was Tattoo...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't Naomi Wildman also a quantum duplicate? I'm sure there is some fanfic out there involving them bringing a bunch of other duplicates over to use as expendable crew members. Maybe a mirror universe where the crew regularly repeats whatever technobabble whatever happened to grab more duplicate slaves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't Naomi Wildman also a quantum duplicate? I'm sure there is some fanfic out there involving them bringing a bunch of other duplicates over to use as expendable crew members. Maybe a mirror universe where the crew regularly repeats whatever technobabble whatever happened to grab more duplicate slaves.

She was. I don't know if there was ever any fiction about that but there was a DS9 comic arc about trying to recreate the Riker accident.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Naomi and Harry were both quantum duplicates survivors.

I have to say, that episode is actually really good fun, and the initial oh poo poo scenes are well done. I'd call it one of the better Voyager episodes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 23, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Proof the writers were trolling the fan base at that point. "We destroyed Voyager and technically killed all the characters you've been watching from the beginning. Except Harry. You get to keep Harry. FOREVER HARRY."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just watched it from beginning to end, they don't clearly say which ship is the original.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Mortanis posted:

Proof the writers were trolling the fan base at that point. "We destroyed Voyager and technically killed all the characters you've been watching from the beginning. Except Harry. You get to keep Harry. FOREVER HARRY."

Ensign now; ensign forever!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The climax of Identity Crisis is so stupid. How hard is a "computer, end program" when walking into the holodeck instead of searching a loving holodeck program for Geordi?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

The climax of Identity Crisis is so stupid. How hard is a "computer, end program" when walking into the holodeck instead of searching a loving holodeck program for Geordi?

Uh, he was down on the planet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Uh, he was down on the planet.

Before that they searched for him in the holodeck while he was taking out the transporter guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

Before that they searched for him in the holodeck while he was taking out the transporter guy.

The walked in and found his torn up uniform, there wasn't a massive search for him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The walked in and found his torn up uniform, there wasn't a massive search for him.

They walk in and Worf says "You search the structure, I'll take the perimeter." They planned on searching the entire area when they could have just turned the holodeck off. While they do this and stand there contemplating what the torn up uniform means, Geordi overpowers the holodeck guy and undoes the lockouts to beam to the planet.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I just watched it from beginning to end, they don't clearly say which ship is the original.

I don't think there was an original. They call the anomaly of the week a "subspace scission" which implies they sort of got split down the middle. Basically, they went from being one whole to two halves that had the same mass as the original. Of course, this might mean that the surviving crewmembers are all down to half a soul, but... that actually sort of fits with the rest of Voyager, come to think of it.

e: Also re: that episode, the ethics of the reset button are super hosed up. They handwave it by saying that they can only bring a couple people through the rift and I can get why they would save the baby at least, but the stuff with Harry (and Kes iirc) is super hosed up because everyone else on that ship was just as "real" as he was and had no less inherent right to life. Janeway just picked him because she'd lost her Harry Kim and needed a replacement. Personally, I would have gone for a second Tuvok.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 23, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

They walk in and Worf says "You search the structure, I'll take the perimeter." They planned on searching the entire area when they could have just turned the holodeck off. While they do this and stand there contemplating what the torn up uniform means, Geordi overpowers the holodeck guy and undoes the lockouts to beam to the planet.

Ah well maybe it's not stupid because they don't want to terrify him since he's transforming into a strange creature.

Duckbag posted:

I don't think there was an original. They call the anomaly of the week a "subspace scission" which implies they sort of got split down the middle. Basically, they went from being one whole to two halves that had the same mass as the original. Of course, this might mean that the surviving crewmembers are all down to half a soul, but... that actually sort of fits with the rest of Voyager, come to think of it.

That's essentially how I took it. Like the Twinning that happened to John on Farscape.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rhyno posted:

That's essentially how I took it. Like the Twinning that happened to John on Farscape.

Farscape did everything Voyager did but backward and in heels.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duckbag posted:

I don't think there was an original. They call the anomaly of the week a "subspace scission" which implies they sort of got split down the middle.

Except it didn't work on the antimatter, which means there actually was a difference between the two voyagers.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rhyno posted:

Blown out.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Except it didn't work on the antimatter, which means there actually was a difference between the two voyagers.

No there wasn't. The issue was that the antimatter didn't get duplicated at all, so both Voyagers were sharing the same fuel and that was never going to work. Plus one Voyager started doing poo poo to try to fix the "power drain" and that wound up damaging the other Voyager. I really can't recall any hints that one Voyager was more legitimate than the other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tunicate posted:

No, Belana says the antimatter was being pulled between them.

Duckbag posted:

No there wasn't. The issue was that the antimatter didn't get duplicated at all, so both Voyagers were sharing the same fuel and that was never going to work. Plus one Voyager started doing poo poo to try to fix the "power drain" and that wound up damaging the other Voyager. I really can't recall any hints that one Voyager was more legitimate than the other.

Was there ever a commentary on this episode?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The difference between the two Voyagers is the one that got destroyed was going to get all the good episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

My favorite part of this gif will always be the outstretched hand that says "gently caress it" and gives up.