Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Try sent me four unusable Nikon 70-200s rated EX/LN

Dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is tiffen the best bang for buck variable ND filter out there?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Marumis are problematic so probably

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just to continue the ND filter discussion: I want to buy a variable ND filter. My Sony Nex-5 existing lenses take a 49MM filter. But does it make more sense to buy a 49MM filter, or the largest filter with a bunch of step-up rings?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've been using my work laptop to edit raw photos in Lightroom from my 70D while I'm out and about. It's a late model Macbook Pro with 16 gigs of RAM. I'm about to switch jobs so I'll lose the laptop, so was going to pick up my own this weekend.

Was thinking about the 13 inch MBP but I see it only comes with 8 gigs of RAM (lol apple) unless you do a special order. Think that's cutting it a little too close? Could do the 15 inch but eh, the weight.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

My computer only has 8. Having a fast SSD matters more than RAM, I think.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I guess it all depends on what you're used to. LR seems pretty well optimized for reading cr2 files, so loading up and going through my library of 7D and 5D2 images on my MacBook air with 4gb of ram doesn't seem very slow to me. Fuji and sony raw files are another story though.

Edit: and yeah, fast storage is more important unless you like to encode videos and run excel macros while you sort through your LR library.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given how long laptops last these days, especially MBPs, I think I'd probably want 16 off the bat. Can you upgrade the model of MBP you're looking at? I can't remember which models took that option away. If you can, just buy with 8 and add another 8 via Crucial ram. If not, buy the upgrade and be happy that the Apple tax is only 'bad' and not 'abysmal' for ram upgrades these days.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Speaking of laptops and Lightroom; currently I do all my photo library management/editing on my desktop (about 1TB of images), but is there some workflow/tooling for doing field editing in Lightroom on a laptop, then syncing those changes to the main library when you get home (possibly removing that partial library from the laptop)?

I'm looking at basically writing a script to manipulate the SQLite files the library consists of directly, but that's a lot of work...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Given how long laptops last these days, especially MBPs, I think I'd probably want 16 off the bat. Can you upgrade the model of MBP you're looking at? I can't remember which models took that option away. If you can, just buy with 8 and add another 8 via Crucial ram. If not, buy the upgrade and be happy that the Apple tax is only 'bad' and not 'abysmal' for ram upgrades these days.

No, Apple has the RAM directly soldered onto the board now. Thanks Apple.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Just to continue the ND filter discussion: I want to buy a variable ND filter. My Sony Nex-5 existing lenses take a 49MM filter. But does it make more sense to buy a 49MM filter, or the largest filter with a bunch of step-up rings?

If you only have 49mm lenses I'd get that. I have lenses from 49mm up to 82mm and the giant 82 filters are really unwieldy on small lenses. Maybe check on any lenses you might pick up later. Smaller jumps are less annoying, like 58 to 49 wouldn't be so bad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dorkanoid posted:

Speaking of laptops and Lightroom; currently I do all my photo library management/editing on my desktop (about 1TB of images), but is there some workflow/tooling for doing field editing in Lightroom on a laptop, then syncing those changes to the main library when you get home (possibly removing that partial library from the laptop)?

I'm looking at basically writing a script to manipulate the SQLite files the library consists of directly, but that's a lot of work...

Are the laptop images new and to be merged into the main library when you are home?

You can set the laptop LR to bake the changes into the sidecar files, then you can import them into your main library and it will keep the changes

http://photographyconcentrate.com/lightroom-tip-turn-automatically-write-changes-xmp/

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

powderific posted:

If you only have 49mm lenses I'd get that. I have lenses from 49mm up to 82mm and the giant 82 filters are really unwieldy on small lenses. Maybe check on any lenses you might pick up later. Smaller jumps are less annoying, like 58 to 49 wouldn't be so bad.
Thanks for weighing in, on that. Most of the new lenses that I'll get in the future would take 49mm filters, with the exception of this 18-200mm zoom, which takes 62mm.

Just out of curiosity- how much "step down" would be too much? Would it be really bad to step down from 62mm to 49mm?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not bad so much as awkward. I'd rather have two filters at those sizes but if it's just every now and then or you've got the thing on a tripod anyway it's not a big deal. Filter step rungs are super cheap so you could just get a 62 to 49 and see if it feels weird.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went to the store and they had 16gig 13inch models there. So problem solved!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

spog posted:

Are the laptop images new and to be merged into the main library when you are home?

You can set the laptop LR to bake the changes into the sidecar files, then you can import them into your main library and it will keep the changes

http://photographyconcentrate.com/lightroom-tip-turn-automatically-write-changes-xmp/

Oh, that's neat - I'll test that.

Yeah, the use case is that I want to fold the laptop files from whatever trip I've been on into the main library on the desktop - after that I don't need the files on the laptop anymore.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Trip report: Updating 17k images with metadata takes a while

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 13, 2016

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spog posted:

Wow, thanks for telling me this.

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

This is how you funsling, Brett.
I was wondering what suggestions you guys had for an external flash. I have a D5200, but obviously the on-board flash is garbage. I want to take pictures indoors that don't look terrible by default. I want something somewhat versatile so I can keep using it the more I get into photography. Are there any third party manufacturers that make something worth buying? I can spend 200-300 bucks without feeling too guilty about it.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Bromine posted:

I was wondering what suggestions you guys had for an external flash. I have a D5200, but obviously the on-board flash is garbage. I want to take pictures indoors that don't look terrible by default. I want something somewhat versatile so I can keep using it the more I get into photography. Are there any third party manufacturers that make something worth buying? I can spend 200-300 bucks without feeling too guilty about it.

I'm totally in love with the Godox TT685N TTL: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-tt685n-ttl-speedlight-released/

So much so in fact that I switched all my much more expensive Nikon and Nissin flashes and my PocketWizard trigger system over to the Godox units. The thing I love the most about them is that they have a 2.4GHz radio trigger system built-in that's also compatible with their studio and outdoor strobes and other flash units (I also have the AD360II-N and it's a beast), as explained here: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/ That means that I don't have to shell out for another PocketWizard receiver as well any time I get an additional light.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Caryna posted:

I also have the AD360II-N and it's a beast

Tell me more about this. I was interested in one but heard a few horror stories of cheap construction and overheating. Do you use it like a studio light or at events?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bromine posted:

Get a 35/1.8 instead. If you want artificial light to not look like doodoo, you need a modifier, and at that point the light source will be 3 times the size of your camera.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

8th-snype posted:

Tell me more about this. I was interested in one but heard a few horror stories of cheap construction and overheating. Do you use it like a studio light or at events?

Hmm, not much to say really. I'm using it mainly in studio setups and haven't had any problems with it yet. No overheating or anything, even though I use a Y cable on the battery pack to get fast recycle times. I'm super happy with the build quality and the wireless system has given me much less trouble than the PocketWizards. Using PWs with Nissin flashes is a poo poo show. The Godox system just works. Be it the AD360II or the TT685, be it TTL or HSS. It's like magic. And the firmwares for all devices can be easily updated via USB. Best value and functionality for money I have found so far.

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

Caryna posted:

I'm totally in love with the Godox TT685N TTL: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-tt685n-ttl-speedlight-released/

So much so in fact that I switched all my much more expensive Nikon and Nissin flashes and my PocketWizard trigger system over to the Godox units. The thing I love the most about them is that they have a 2.4GHz radio trigger system built-in that's also compatible with their studio and outdoor strobes and other flash units (I also have the AD360II-N and it's a beast), as explained here: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/ That means that I don't have to shell out for another PocketWizard receiver as well any time I get an additional light.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

evil_bunnY posted:

Get a 35/1.8 instead. If you want artificial light to not look like doodoo, you need a modifier, and at that point the light source will be 3 times the size of your camera.

I have that one. I don't expect studio quality portraits. I was just wondering if an external flash could help make pictures during the holidays, parties, and such look less ghastly.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't know anything about Godox. You said your budget was up to about $300. Would a starter-kit from Godox come in under that price?

For that price, you have tons of 3rd-party flash options, starting with Yongnuo. For like $100 you can get a Yongnuo that will poo poo out buckets of light on demand, and you can point it at the ceiling or the wall or whatever to avoid that on-axis flash look. Beautiful studio-quality portraits need to take into account those factors evil_bunnY is talking about, but "not lovely" pictures can come from a decent flash unit.

I've got a pair of Sigma (alphabetsoup) 530 that talk to my Pentax K-5 wirelessly. They're at least one generation out-of-date (so's my camera) and I think the current-gen from Sigma is the EF-610 DG Super. I know nothing about your Nikon but I would be surprised if Sigma didn't make a version of the 610 that can talk to your D5200. With wireless flash you can hold the flash in your left hand while shooting with your camera in your right hand. Or put the flash on a tripod or on a table or stick it to the wall with gaffer tape. Or put it on the floor, pointed straight up, and take weird, weird photos all night long.

A word of warning: just because you CAN take pictures at 1m distance, ISO 100 and F/13 with your buckets-of-light flash unit, doesn't mean you SHOULD. I realized this after I took this picture (not claiming this picture is good) and optically assaulted my coworker (and everyone else) at the bar.
Drinking in Montreal 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Don't be like me. Don't blind your friends.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I used to use strobies to set off my flash, but for reason i think they crapped out. This was a couple years ago, what are they using now that's best for syncing your flash for say below $75?

Thanks.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Does anyone else here think that KEH isn't as conservative with their ratings as they supposedly used to be?

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Try sent me four unusable Nikon 70-200s rated EX/LN

Dead to me.

Helicity posted:

KEH service and grading was amazing to me a few years ago. Last year I had a run of bad experiences and poorly graded items, culminating with me emailing their customer support about the data breach and never hearing back from them. Something may have changed.

timrenzi574 posted:

They (possibly?) tried to pull a fast one on me the last time I sent stuff in. They downgraded one item from LN- to EX+ , and told me it was going to take like 280$ off the quote they had originally given me. I reran the quoting tool using the new grades they sent me, and the current offer price was actually higher than when I had initially run it with the higher grading. When I pointed this out to the guy, he ignored me for 3 days then suddenly came back and said they had "made a big mistake!" and would give me what the new run of the quoting tool had said. I've been leery since then.

alkanphel posted:

I wonder if the change happened at the same time they changed their website.

Probably. If you check out their Glassdoor reviews you hear that the original owner sold the business to some investment group right around that time. It takes some time for pirate equity types to get their hooks properly deep into an organization, and turn over the old crew, so the timeline makes a lot of sense.

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know anything about Godox. You said your budget was up to about $300. Would a starter-kit from Godox come in under that price?

For that price, you have tons of 3rd-party flash options, starting with Yongnuo. For like $100 you can get a Yongnuo that will poo poo out buckets of light on demand, and you can point it at the ceiling or the wall or whatever to avoid that on-axis flash look. Beautiful studio-quality portraits need to take into account those factors evil_bunnY is talking about, but "not lovely" pictures can come from a decent flash unit.

I've got a pair of Sigma (alphabetsoup) 530 that talk to my Pentax K-5 wirelessly. They're at least one generation out-of-date (so's my camera) and I think the current-gen from Sigma is the EF-610 DG Super. I know nothing about your Nikon but I would be surprised if Sigma didn't make a version of the 610 that can talk to your D5200. With wireless flash you can hold the flash in your left hand while shooting with your camera in your right hand. Or put the flash on a tripod or on a table or stick it to the wall with gaffer tape. Or put it on the floor, pointed straight up, and take weird, weird photos all night long.

A word of warning: just because you CAN take pictures at 1m distance, ISO 100 and F/13 with your buckets-of-light flash unit, doesn't mean you SHOULD. I realized this after I took this picture (not claiming this picture is good) and optically assaulted my coworker (and everyone else) at the bar.
Drinking in Montreal 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Don't be like me. Don't blind your friends.

Wireless is definitely something I'd want. Do you normally have to buy a separate transmitter, or do they come with one?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Probably. If you check out their Glassdoor reviews you hear that the original owner sold the business to some investment group right around that time. It takes some time for pirate equity types to get their hooks properly deep into an organization, and turn over the old crew, so the timeline makes a lot of sense.

That's a real shame, considering the name KEH built for themselves. It's really decades to build a reputation but just months to destroy it. Those Glassdoor reviews are pretty depressing too, lucky I bought my last KEH piece of gear shortly after they changed over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yond Cassius posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard about this. What a shame.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm looking to pick up an F100. Anyone selling one ITT?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bromine posted:

Wireless is definitely something I'd want. Do you normally have to buy a separate transmitter, or do they come with one?
Wireless flash is fun. Lots of fun. So yes, it's something you probably want.

My Pentax K-5 has wireless flash as one of the built-in options - I hit the flash button and select "W" (with the little lightning bolt that means "flash"). Then, if the pop-up is open and the flash unit in my hand is set to "wireless slave" mode, both will fire when I hit the shutter button. The pop-up doesn't provide much light for the picture, but I think it has to activate to transmit the signal to the flash unit.

I skimmed the first few pages of this in-depth review of the D5200 and I saw no mention of a similar wireless mode. You'd probably have to get a transmitter / receiver set as well as the flash itself. The upside of this is your pop-up won't have to be up and firing - the transmitter usually attaches to the hotshoe - and you can upgrade either your wireless setup or your flash unit as you see fit down the line. Plus, such a set up is probably WAY easier to use than my Sigma 530s - they have the worst interface I've seen and the owner's manual is effectively incomprehensible and useless. I just stab buttons until I get the effect I want, which is probably part of why I end up blasting my friends in the face. Also, the pop-up gets in the way of my hat when I'm shooting wireless-flash-macro pictures, a minor irritation.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need help buying a lens. I have a Sony NEX-5, and need a versatile lens that has good zoom and video capabilities (probably going to buy the a6300 in the near future). Something that can be used for recording amateur boxing matches from afar, but can also double as a lens for shooting interviews.

I'm not sure if the Sony Alpha 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 better pick, or this 18-105mm.

Any suggestions?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 23, 2016

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

Bromine posted:

As mentioned before, the newer Godox (or whatever your local rebranded name is, for example the Godox TT685 is Adorama's Flashpoint Zoom R2 TTL) have proper radio triggers built-in, which means the flashes do not need extra receivers and because they are true radio trigger systems they also don't give a gently caress about line-of-sight. All you need is the X1 transmitter on your camera ($40 or $50 or less) or another flash unit set as transmitter. It's really easy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I need help buying a lens. I have a Sony NEX-5, and need a versatile lens that has good zoom and video capabilities (probably going to buy the a6300 in the near future). Something that can be used for recording amateur boxing matches from afar, but can also double as a lens for shooting interviews.

Any suggestions?

Variable aperture is a bummer for video so of those two you'd want the 18-105. If you're far away from the boxing matches that might not be long enough though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions?

Yeah the 18-105 is likely your better bet. Lighting in almost any indoor sporting venue is total rear end and you're going to need all the help you can get. How far back from the ring are you going to be stationed?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

powderific posted:

Variable aperture is a bummer for video so of those two you'd want the 18-105. If you're far away from the boxing matches that might not be long enough though.

DJExile posted:

Yeah the 18-105 is likely your better bet. Lighting in almost any indoor sporting venue is total rear end and you're going to need all the help you can get. How far back from the ring are you going to be stationed?

In response to both: My distance varies (some venues are cool with me running outside of the ring for photos, others prefer that you stay in your seat section). But I could be as far back as ~50 feet.

In either case, it sounds like the 18-105 is the better pick, so I'll probably go with that. Thanks for the advice!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you're only doing video you should be OK.

If you're doing photos then hooo boy a maximum aperture of f/4 is probably going to be really tough for boxing. Unless you're in an incredibly well lit venue, you're going to want at least f/2.8.

E: If you're at a venue that allows you to get close, a fast prime would be a big help.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

If you're only doing video you should be OK.

If you're doing photos then hooo boy a maximum aperture of f/4 is probably going to be really tough for boxing. Unless you're in an incredibly well lit venue, you're going to want at least f/2.8.

E: If you're at a venue that allows you to get close, a fast prime would be a big help.
Never thought of the lighting... because in amateur fight arenas the lighting is always terrible. If there's little lighting, there's all sorts of weirdly-coloured strobe lights all over the ceilings.

In case I do decide to go with a fast prime lens instead (again, it'd be for video + photos) could I do any better than this 35mm f/1.8? I already have a T* FE 55mm f/1.8, and while it worked well with the weird lighting I found it really hard to get a good shot with constantly moving action (had to keep re-maneuvering myself in to keep the fighters in-frame).

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
At some point you're going to hit a wall where whatever your lens or sensor you're not going to be able to overcome the limitations of the environment's lighting arrangements.