Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I would be more likely to roll Mid or even Alb. I played on Alb more than 10 years ago on live. Memories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll definitely be playing alb. People are obviously welcome to play on what realm makes them happy. But, alb is the happiest realm around, so...

Reminder, here's the discord link, if you want to shoot the poo poo about dark age, instead, https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Just play whatever realm you want to. Goons didn't stick around for Genesis and that was super fast leveling. They'll all burn out pre-50 on Uthgard.

a digital orc
May 14, 2003

You see, Guragh, they can't fire me for sexual harassment. The crime doesn't fit the punishment! :orks:

PriNGLeS posted:

Just play whatever realm you want to. Goons didn't stick around for Genesis and that was super fast leveling. They'll all burn out pre-50 on Uthgard.

I already have a 50 thank you very much!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So weird playing this game after almost 15 years. I quit somewhere after SI but before ToA, so playing on Uthgard is like picking up where I left off. Everything is do familiar but at the same time I have forgotten enough that it's a whole new learning curve again.

Is there a way to use the new cata models on Uthgard?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Hopefully getting a nice guild setup, and into a large alliance will help the 40+ exp rate. I know I'll be running as many Summoner's Hall Exp raids as possible.

Rasmussen posted:

So weird playing this game after almost 15 years. I quit somewhere after SI but before ToA, so playing on Uthgard is like picking up where I left off. Everything is do familiar but at the same time I have forgotten enough that it's a whole new learning curve again.

Is there a way to use the new cata models on Uthgard?

You should be using the cata models unless you select to use the classic ones.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Where's the option to select that? I followed the instructions on their website but it's still using all the old models in game.

I made sure no of the classic options were enabled when I configured on first run too.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 17, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

At the character select screen, when you click on options, you'll find the option to look at which figure versions you have selected.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Kazvall posted:

At the character select screen, when you click on options, you'll find the option to look at which figure versions you have selected.

Could have sworn I checked all that but I'll have another look when I get home, cheers.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kazvall posted:

I'll definitely be playing alb. People are obviously welcome to play on what realm makes them happy. But, alb is the happiest realm around, so...

Reminder, here's the discord link, if you want to shoot the poo poo about dark age, instead, https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

I will see how I feel once it opens but I played only Alb back in the day so right now I'm thinking Hib or Mid. Don't hate me :shobon:

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Uthgard news!

quote:

News about the beta and the future
Written by Trishin on 6/29/2016
Dear players,

We thought it was time to give you a small update on what is going on with Uthgard, so here is a few notes.

Reporting issues and work distribution:
Since we opened the beta about 2 month ago, a lot of bugs have been reported in the tracker. For the most part these have been very helpful and you have been good at downvoting / invalidating reports that should not get our attention. We very much appreciate that, and hope you will be doing that some more. It is key that topics without evidence are not taking up developer time as their time is already very limited compared to GM time. This is why you might see a lot of item / mob / quest fixing compared to class ability changes, or code changes. So don't worry, fixing a quest, or an item does not slow down our progress towards a relaunch. If you are interested in work distribution the work queue might be of interest to you.

What are we working on right now:
Right now there are a few things on our radar, however our main focus is on fixing the missing piece of XP splitting (high level player, with a player outside their level clamps in a group). This is not an easy problem, we are however getting very close and hope we might have found a solution we can implement. Needless to say, we do not want to make a custom solution to this, as it could ruin the gaming experience if this is not done correctly. And in turn this could create imbalances between new and old players if we some day manage to find the right solution. As some of you know, we are not willing to mess up tomorrow, by creating an easy fix today. We hope you understand and agree with this decision. With that being said though, we feel we are getting very close and will therefore implement the next step in our plans. (Read more further below)

Along side this, the main world build focus has been on epic quests and implementing the dragons (If you want to know the status of epic quests, please have a look at the issue tracker).

DISCLAIMER: The following time periods are estimates and may change at any time! Please do not get angry with us if we do not meet these estimates, we will do our best to do so, but real life might happen.

What are we planning for the future:
We have decided to implement an instant level 30 NPC which also hands out free respecs in the capital cities. We hope this will encourage more people to test class abilities, and to test the BGs and RvR. By doing so we can hopefully get started on collecting data for the bugs that needs to be fixed when XP splitting is fixed. (A small note needs to be made here, we are aware that relic guard spawns are not complete at this point, and until we fix this in the future, there is little reason to report bugs about this. We will make another news post or announcement when all guard systems are fully working). This NPC will be available from the 1st of July and will give free respecs, and possibly some way of getting geared up (we are still trying to figure out a way to do this without breaking the economy completely as we still would like to gather data about this). This stage of the beta will last for about 1 month. A note is worth to be made here, that July is the month where most of the staff is on vacation in various time periods. So expect bugs / player support to be slowed down, we feel like the instant 30 test is a good testing phase for us to do this in, as most of the testing should be evolved around xp splitting in groups, and it might take time for everyone to get a good sense of whether that is working or not.

What will happen after instant 30:
After we have run the instant 30 setup, we will move onto the last major bug reporting step of our beta testing. This means we will introduce instant 50, and we will be focusing on RvR bugs and missing / bugged class functionality. This is also the state where we will be focusing on relic guards, dragons, etc.
This stage should hopefully take 1-2 months only (hopefully just 1 month), and after that we will move onto the final step.

What will happen after instant 50:
After instant 50 has been done, we will move onto the final stage of the beta testing. In this stage we will close down the server and prepare to relaunch (Wiping the servers, making sure all of our GM internal tools are working, etc). This stage should hopefully only take 1-2 weeks.

New GMs:
Some of you might have noticed we have recruited some new GMs. These are new additions to our team, and we hope you will welcome them to the team as we have. While they are still new to Uthgard, most of their tasks will be focused around world build issues (items, mobs, quests), but we hope they can eventually branch out and take on bigger roles. So with that being said, please help us welcome Decidon, Genjiro, Cirdan, and Alcyon to the team.

Happy testing,

Your Uthgard Team

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Uthgard has been pretty good so far. I've tried out all the realms and it feels pretty faithful to the patch level they are trying to emulate. Looking forward to testing the boosted characters because I'm not leveling that far only to have it wiped when it goes live.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
When playing on Genesis server my GPU went into overdrive, generating a LOT of heat in the process.

Could reaching 300+FPS cause that? Would capping my Nvidia card at 60FPS (I found that feature recently) help?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Evernoob posted:

When playing on Genesis server my GPU went into overdrive, generating a LOT of heat in the process.

Could reaching 300+FPS cause that? Would capping my Nvidia card at 60FPS (I found that feature recently) help?

Yes. This is a problem with older games. You need to limit your FPS else your gpu will peg out hard.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

FRIDAY:

Instant 50, instant rr5, freegear and respecs.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I'm assuming you mean on uthgard? I'll probably be around to check that out

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I really hope it doesn't last long and we can go to live.

i50 is gonna be a poo poo show of people who are rolling instas with trash gear vs the people who actually played beta and have SCed reasonable suits. But I guess enough people are gonna be in trash gear that they can adequately test high-end content.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It's a wondrous time to be an Albion stealth zerg, I am guessing.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Well i50 is up.

You can get free DF gear in the capital near the old giant cat.

Basically allows you to get capped stats and ~10-15% resists on level 49 armour. Good enough to play with for sure. If the server can stabalize this should actually be some fun RvR and maybe even a dragon raid.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I'm gonna give Uthgard a shot this weekend with instant 50 to see if I want to come back for the launch in a couple of weeks.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll be on tomorrow, had a bit of food poisoning today, so needless to say I was not on.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Cool. I'll let you teach me literally everything if you want, I'm new to DAoC.

How do we get insta-50'd?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Oh wow holy sniz. Well the instant 50 "merchant" should be in the main cities. In camelot(albion) it's right through the main gate. There's merchants for free level 50ish armor and gear.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Made a sorc and played some this weekend with a couple of other folks. Seems fun and I plan to play at launch. Here's the latest Uthgard update that announced this testing phase:

quote:

The Final Phase
Written by Trishin on 8/16/2016
Dear players.

It has been a while since we have given you an update and we are happy to bring you a significant one in terms of progression and the upcoming relaunch. Once again we do not give out ETA's but we are now entering the final stages of the beta and we hope it will allow us to relaunch for you soon. We are as excited as you are to play Uthgard and we fully appreciate your contribution to the BETA so far, but we ask for one final push to test the realm abilities, keeps and relic system.

On Friday the 19th of August 21:00 CEST you will be able to access instant 50, realm rank 5 and free respecs on Uthgard. You will have access to some basic items that will see you adequately equipped to test. The keeps and relic system has taken a lot of time to build and required comprehensive research and we are very happy for you to now be able to test our work! You can obtain information about the keep and relic system in the news post: Welcome to the Frontiers

We hope that this final stage will not take long and we ask you our loyal community of players to assist us on the final leg of our BETA. Once this phase is complete and we are satisfied we will close the server for one to two weeks ready for the relaunch, this will give us adequate time for marketing and to prepare the server for you all.

We would like to thank you for your contribution to the beta so far, we would like to remind you that we have noticed some exploits in the game that were not reported and instead abused. Without reports from particular players we may not have discovered these before the relaunch - we ask that any exploits are reported to members of staff. Any players caught abusing any exploits will be banned on the relaunch of the server, we want an equal start for everyone and we need you to help us make this a reality.

Until then see you on Friday and let's go for the final push!

Your Uthgard Staff

It doesn't say when exactly launch will be; it just says that it will be 1-2 weeks after this testing phase. Someone should maybe start a new thread after this testing phase ends dedicated to just Uthgard?

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
When i30 came out they suggested i50 would one one to two months. i30 lasted about a month and a half although that was mainly because a bunch of the devs were on vacation. I sort of feel like the server might be live around the beginning of October.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I don't think anyone playing live really uses this thread much, anyways.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kazvall posted:

I don't think anyone playing live really uses this thread much, anyways.
Pretty much. If Uthgard chat split off, then this thread would just die a quiet death. A few of us who were still playing live got a little burned from the huge revamp Broadsword just did.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I play vicariously through your posts.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Don't split up the threads.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I think it would be nice to have a new thread for Uthgard exposure and to have Uthgard's getting started info in the OP.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Quick question, so I'm not sure how stats and stat caps work exactly.

In this post I see someone testing up to 392 dex for casting speed increase: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/full-cast-speed-test-for-all-delves-click-here-to-see-how-much-dex-you-need-p.250680778/

And in this post and others it says stats are capped at level x 1.5 (or 75 at level 50).: http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/forums/topic/26234-stuff-you-might-not-know-about-daoc/

Saracens start with 80 dex for example, so I'm not sure what the stat cap means. If it means I could have +75 dex on top of my starting dex, which I guess could be 109 with putting 29 points into dex at char creation, then I have no idea how 392 dex was reached in the first post for testing. Is there some other way to increase stats and that's what the +75 is about?

Edit: I see in that second post actually that the +75 is item cap. So 109 for Saracen starting stats with +75 from items is 184 dex. Can you get +208 dex from buffs?

Rabbi fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 23, 2016

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Rabbi posted:

Quick question, so I'm not sure how stats and stat caps work exactly.

In this post I see someone testing up to 392 dex for casting speed increase: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/full-cast-speed-test-for-all-delves-click-here-to-see-how-much-dex-you-need-p.250680778/

And in this post and others it says stats are capped at level x 1.5 (or 75 at level 50).: http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/forums/topic/26234-stuff-you-might-not-know-about-daoc/

Saracens start with 80 dex for example, so I'm not sure what the stat cap means. If it means I could have +75 dex on top of my starting dex, which I guess could be 109 with putting 29 points into dex at char creation, then I have no idea how 392 dex was reached in the first post for testing. Is there some other way to increase stats and that's what the +75 is about?

Edit: I see in that second post actually that the +75 is item cap. So 109 for Saracen starting stats with +75 from items is 184 dex. Can you get +208 dex from buffs?

Max stat increase at char creation is 18, you get diminishing returns after 10. Go with 15 dex 10 int.
75 is the max you can get from items on uth, 155 max from buffs (50*1.25 = 62 from base buffs, 75*1.25 = 93 from spec buffs).
You can also get stats from realm abilities, up to 48 iirc, and also flat cast speed increase.
The 392 is for live servers with TOA, can't reach it on Uth. Also it pertains to break points where your casting speed suddenly increases, which doesn't matter on uth because they calculate it differently.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

If you're talking about how things are on Uthgard, then ignore that first link completely. There's two issues:

First, the cap for +stats from items is +75. Then there's caps on buffs, which are +62 for "base" buffs and +93 for "spec" buffs. So, the most dexterity you can get at this point in the game is 381, broken down as follows: 80 base dex with +18 at character creation (Saracen or Elf), on a class that has dexterity as a secondary stat means that at 50 you'll have 121. Add in 75 from items, 30 from the Realm Ability Aug Dex 5, 62 from capped base dex and 93 from spec dex/quick.

Circling back to that first link, Live DAoC cast speed for spells has breakpoints, meaning if you were to graph it with dexterity on the x axis and cast speed on the y axis, it would be a piecewise function. Dawn of Light servers (Uthgard) uses floating point, which means that every point of dexterity matters and there are no breakpoints.

If you're talking about live, then ignore the above because I havent played Live DAoC since like 2005!

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah, talking about Uthgard, thanks for the info guys! There's a lot to learn.

Just to make sure, does Uthgard 2.0 still not have breakpoints, even with their strict adherence to 1.65?

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

I would have to imagine it's like 1.0 and thus no breakpoints, because changing that would probably mean they'd have to rewrite substantial portions code.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Pretty much. If Uthgard chat split off, then this thread would just die a quiet death. A few of us who were still playing live got a little burned from the huge revamp Broadsword just did.

I'm assuming the revamp wasn't great then? I was playing a Mauler right before it hit but burnt out trying to get enough plat to buy all the random ablatives/old event items.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I play vicariously through your posts.

One day I will have my apoc sword... when they release SI.

Rabbi posted:

I think it would be nice to have a new thread for Uthgard exposure and to have Uthgard's getting started info in the OP.

You're about the only shining gem of a "new" player we are going to find. I mean, it wouldn't bother me to have an Uthgard only thread. I just don't think it would help that much.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's a #darkage chat channel in this discord. I'm setting up a few more daoc specific voice channels. Feel free to use this if you want, I don't care what realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Kazvall posted:

You're about the only shining gem of a "new" player we are going to find. I mean, it wouldn't bother me to have an Uthgard only thread. I just don't think it would help that much.
I agree that I'm a shining gem, but if you make a new thread that has the magic incantation "f2p pvp mmorpg launch", I can guarantee that we'll get a few interested people that would never click on the DAoC thread.

• Locked thread