Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

So... im getting a feeling flying witch might be what im looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little_wh0re posted:

So... im getting a feeling flying witch might be what im looking for

Possibly

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh! Almost forgot, Kamichu is v.good.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

People have been pretty vague on the subject

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Ive watched two eps of flying witch and its just what i was looking for. Thanks everyone :)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

Ive watched two eps of flying witch and its just what i was looking for. Thanks everyone :)

Shan-ran-ran-raaaaaaan~

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Came across Nadia: Secret Of The Blue Water on Blu-ray by coincidence. Is it worth getting into?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm glad you like it!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ufarn posted:

Came across Nadia: Secret Of The Blue Water on Blu-ray by coincidence. Is it worth getting into?

YES

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Anything in Funi's back to school sale worth watching?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

numerrik posted:

Anything in Funi's back to school sale worth watching?

Highschool DxD

lmao

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Yokohama Shopping Trip

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Haibane Renmei.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DisDisDis posted:

Yokohama Shopping Trip

ARIA and Polar Bear Café.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Haibane Renmei.

Yes, this.

And yeah, if you want manga as well: Yokohama Shopping Trip.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Haibane Renmei.

I'd maaayyybeee add Mushishi. It's chill, and combines a lot of mundane and mystical. it doesn't have a lot of slice of life in the same sense since it's fairly episodic, but each episode does capture a lot of slice of life feel, just of different characters and different lives.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Mushishi is like a warm blanket in TV show form. It's often a pretty somber show and occasionally a bit dark, but in spite of that its world is a very cozy and relaxing place to visit for 25 minutes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

esselfortium posted:

Mushishi is like a warm blanket in TV show form. It's often a pretty somber show and occasionally a bit dark, but in spite of that its world is a very cozy and relaxing place to visit for 25 minutes.

It's worth noting that the 2nd season is way darker than the first. It's more of a constant barrage of "nature is going to gently caress you up and your life is insignificant but you can reach a state of enlightenment where this doesn't bother you". Not that the 1st season is sunshine and rainbows but it seemed as though there were fewer happy endings in the 2nd season. Though if you're OK with that I'd argue that it's even better than the first (and better still if you enjoy experiencing the ineffable tragedy of the human condition).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidWeasel posted:

It's worth noting that the 2nd season is way darker than the first. It's more of a constant barrage of "nature is going to gently caress you up and your life is insignificant but you can reach a state of enlightenment where this doesn't bother you". Not that the 1st season is sunshine and rainbows but it seemed as though there were fewer happy endings in the 2nd season. Though if you're OK with that I'd argue that it's even better than the first (and better still if you enjoy experiencing the ineffable tragedy of the human condition).

What really stunned me in season 2 was Ginko is usually the first to try and strike a balance between humans and Mushi (where most Mushi-shi exterminate Mushi when they cause trouble for humans), and yet seeing that that one guy was chopping off women's heads so his plant-born daughter could use their bodies for many many years now just made him kick a lantern over to burn the motherfucker's house down without saying a word. :stare:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What really stunned me in season 2 was Ginko is usually the first to try and strike a balance between humans and Mushi (where most Mushi-shi exterminate Mushi when they cause trouble for humans), and yet seeing that that one guy was chopping off women's heads so his plant-born daughter could use their bodies for many many years now just made him kick a lantern over to burn the motherfucker's house down without saying a word. :stare:

Even Ginko has his limits, man.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah that was a great episode - no matter how seemingly cruel they might seem, Mushi are a part of the natural world, but that guy was just a hosed up evil dude and Ginko was having none of that poo poo

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Are any of the Madoka spinoff manga worth reading? I have A Different Story, and I think the general consensus a couple years back was that the others weren't worth it, but a few more have come out since then.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So my SO got me to watch Toradora a few weeks ago. I think I had fallen out of watching anime when it came out (really got into it in the 05/06 seasons) so I never watched it or saw much of it on /a/ during it's release. She had fond memories of it (except hating the last few episodes anyawy) and wanted me to see it.

anyway, so we saw it. liked it a lot. was cute and funny and all that poo poo. she ended up enjoying the last few episodes (and had mis-remembered a lot of other things she thought she didn't like) as well.

So now we've been on a bit of a rom-com bender, I guess. We watched My teen romantic-comedy snafu which was pretty entertaining and had some pretty goofy drama parts and the ending was a bit of a let down but overall p good.

now were watching kimi no todoke. it's pretty great. less comedy (though still a good amount) and more serious, but it's loving adorable and the drama isn't super forced or awkward. it seems more believable and has a bit less of the seemingly traditional major point of drama in most high school anime which is lack of communication/miscommunication. it has it a bit, but only a bit and doesn't lean it's entire plot arcs on it which is refreshing.

anyway, so we just started S2 of it. Were wondering where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ore Monogatari is a really good recent romcom you should probably check out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Midori Days

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seto no Hanayome

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Seconding Ore Monogatari, Lovely Complex is also good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If manga is also an option, My Monster Secret/jitsu wa watashi wa. The anime isn't particularly great unfortunately, it doesn't capture the magic of the manga most of the time.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fezball posted:

Seconding Ore Monogatari, Lovely Complex is also good.

I think these are the best anime romcoms you can watch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

anyway, so we just started S2 of it. Were wondering where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Lovely Complex

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tabletops posted:

Any suggestions?

another vote on the pile for Lovely Complex and Ore Monogatari/My Love Story, and throwing out Working!/Wagnaria! as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Servant x Service

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Golden Time is a really good one, and it's written by the same person who wrote Toradora.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Could use a few recommendations.

My favorite animes

Cromartie High School
Spice and Wolf

Stuff I liked

Level E
The Devil is a Part Timer
Panty and Stocking
Golden Time
Cowboy Bebop

Stuff I'm intrigued by

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Haibane Renmei
Excel Saga
Mushishi (this one especially)
FLCL
Outlaw Star

Stuff I didn't like

Azumanga Daioh
Toradora

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Jabarto posted:

Could use a few recommendations.

My favorite animes

Cromartie High School
Spice and Wolf

Stuff I liked

Level E
The Devil is a Part Timer
Panty and Stocking
Golden Time
Cowboy Bebop

Stuff I'm intrigued by

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Haibane Renmei
Excel Saga
Mushishi (this one especially)
FLCL
Outlaw Star

Stuff I didn't like

Azumanga Daioh
Toradora

cool introspective stuff:
- Gatchaman CROWDS (on the nature of being a hero)
- Natsume Yuujinchou (on the nature of being human; chill and melancholy, but heartwarming)

SERIOUS SPACE TIMES:
- Kaiba (also about what being human means, but in a sci-fi way)
- Gunbuster/Diebuster (rad as heck, in very different ways)

not-so-serious space times:
- Bodacious Space Pirates (reminds me a good amount of Outlaw Star, actually)

a look at the animation industry, serious and comedic in turns:
- Shirobako (don't be fooled by the first 5 minutes, it's not a high school club anime)

your picks make you seem like you might be the allergic-to-high-school type, but if not, good comedies:
- Everyday Lives of High School Boys (if you were ever an adolescent boy, you can relate to this)
- Nichijou (enough not-HS stuff to be worth a look even so)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If 'intrigued' means 'thinking about watching' and not 'watched and found interesting' my recommendation is to watch Mushishi

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Definitely see Mushi-Shi, for stuff like Cromartie try Detroit Metal City and Osomatsu-San.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh. Yeah, if you haven't watched your intrigued list , they're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
golden time is pretty flawed and has an irritating subplot that cant decide if it wants to be magical realism or psychological, but it does pull off the uni age reinvention of the self, down to the protagonist being an actual tabula rasa

also, it does hit on some proper anxieties of that age