Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So I'm trying to make an ink wash to match this video, but it's in german and I don't know what the gently caress. When it says Ink + White Spirits, is that basically Future, or do I need to buy more stupid art supplies that I'll use once a year?

Video is linked to the proper time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo3M1U0Nwl0&t=166s

Edit: Also, is airbrush advice now basically the same as in the OP? Painting this tank made me want to kill myself, and now I want an airbrush.

That guy is spraying plaster through his airbrush. That's some crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
He's actually just using the airbrush to blow paint+plaster out of a normal brush to get a mud spatter effect. He could just as easily use his mouth.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

stabbington posted:

He's actually just using the airbrush to blow paint+plaster out of a normal brush to get a mud spatter effect. He could just as easily use his mouth.

Yeah. I thought the same thing at first and it hurt me inside, but it's just that. Compressed air in a can would probably work the same.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
A new battlesuit I've been working this past 2 months. About 60-70% complete? The guns are placeholders scavenged from another build. The two boxes on the 'shoulders' are going to be two larger arms coming down the back.

Tried something new and sculpted the whole thing out of polymer clay (Fimo Professional) rather than two part epoxy. It's quite fun!

P.S If there are any Freudian slips in the sculpt please let me know.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

A new battlesuit I've been working this past 2 months. About 60-70% complete? The guns are placeholders scavenged from another build. The two boxes on the 'shoulders' are going to be two larger arms coming down the back.

Tried something new and sculpted the whole thing out of polymer clay (Fimo Professional) rather than two part epoxy. It's quite fun!

P.S If there are any Freudian slips in the sculpt please let me know.

As someone who trying to figure out how to model stuff, this is pretty cool.
Did you make the different parts of it individually and then glue them together?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

stabbington posted:

OK, I must have missed that - I was hopping about a bit through the video.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Fallen Frontiers, Riff Hero, Sihlas Fenn.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

As someone who trying to figure out how to model stuff, this is pretty cool.
Did you make the different parts of it individually and then glue them together?

I assemble some parts with glue, others I just sculpt together and trim down. Usually same media (ie polymer to polymer or putty to putty) will stick to each other well enough. Sometimes I've had to glue stuff together if it breaks, or if I use too much grease as a lubricant (with greenstuff specifically).

With this specific one the FIMO has been pretty good at holding together, even the small detail greeblies so I haven't had to glue anything I didn't intend to yet. Stuff like the ball joints I did separately, trimmed down and glued on though.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
How do you guys approach stuff like cloth and capes? I can never seem to get the highlights or sometimes the basecoat right. The end result always looks garish. Any advice would be appreciated

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Question for those guys who have handled Reaper Bones. I'm planning to purchase the Pathfinder Red Dragon to paint as a display miniature. Is it worth the effort buying the Bones version and cleaning it up or should I just shell out the extra $$$ for the metal version instead? The metal one costs about double the bones version. I can tolerate cleaning the PP and Wrath of Kings restic, but if Bones is closer to the rubbery clix stuff I think I will just shell out for the metal.

Thoughts?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Z the IVth posted:

Question for those guys who have handled Reaper Bones. I'm planning to purchase the Pathfinder Red Dragon to paint as a display miniature. Is it worth the effort buying the Bones version and cleaning it up or should I just shell out the extra $$$ for the metal version instead? The metal one costs about double the bones version. I can tolerate cleaning the PP and Wrath of Kings restic, but if Bones is closer to the rubbery clix stuff I think I will just shell out for the metal.

Thoughts?

It's pretty drat rubbery

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

signalnoise posted:

It's pretty drat rubbery
I've bought quite a few reaper figures, and have quite a few HeroClix, and while Reaper isn't the best quality, it's a bit better quality plastic than heroclix at least IMO.
I don't really know about the value of the big reaper items, since I've only bought smaller things. (I think the biggest I have is the Chimera)

Speaking of reaper...

Doing more painting for a miniatures game I'm designing, an x-com inspired tactical skirmish level game using figures from the Reaper line.

"Walk in my direction if you desire to survive" -Executor

The painting here by other people is amazing with good vibrant colors, and these are in Both in the typical table-ready quality. :shrug:

also, I only like to paint in short(ish, while I watch a movie) bursts, so they will need touch ups as usually blank spots (usually inside texture like fur) usually shows up after it dries.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Z the IVth posted:

Thoughts?

The material is fine for what it is. It paints up well enough, here is a bones dragon I painted a couple of months ago:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

The material is fine for what it is. It paints up well enough, here is a bones dragon I painted a couple of months ago:

I'm more concerned about cleanup. I've painted the rubbery stuff before and I have no problem with that. I have found it annoying to scrape mouldlines off it though.

I think I may just go for metal and save myself the heartache.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Reaper Bones figures are pretty great in my experience, though I don't know about larger items. I've just painted a few of the normal-sized figures.

On the internet, I've seen some bones vs metal comparisons for fully painted figures, and it's pretty tough to tell the difference in the end result based on appearance.

(Not mine, from the internets. One is bones, one is metal, but which is which?)

Personally, from my experience with the smaller bones figures, I would definitely rather get a bones large figure over a metal one. I love the bones figures, and think it's fantastic that you don't need to prime them. The figures I posted photos of just a few days ago were Reaper Bones figures. But I'm also not very picky about mold lines and details to that extent, anyway, so I wouldn't care too much about cleaning mold lines on a large figure. I'm also not sure if the large Reaper Bones figures are any different plastic than the smaller ones, I think they sometimes use a slightly different formula for different purposes. Like the Reaper Bones weapon sprues are slightly different formula, I think?

Anyway my point is, I give Reaper Bones an A++++ would buy again

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I hate the Bones material with a passion, but I'll admit that that may be because I'm just not used to it; I never really figured out a good way to get mold lines off of Bones. Give me pewter or even resin any day of the week. HIPS still reigns supreme, of course.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Getting bones cleaned is a bit of a hassle. It's not too bad, though, if you have a decently sharp knife. Alternately, sanding needles work really well, though I'd understand not wanting to buy a tool primarily for Bones. I mean, they work for plastic too, if you paint plastic models as well. But if you normally just paint pewter, you're not going to see much other use for them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sanding Needles? Tell me more. How do they work?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm imagining a small rod with a fine, textured filing surface. A friend of mine has something similar, but its sized more like a skewer, not a needle.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

The Sisko posted:

How do you guys approach stuff like cloth and capes? I can never seem to get the highlights or sometimes the basecoat right. The end result always looks garish. Any advice would be appreciated
Smoother color transitions is almost always the answer, which unfortunately usually means more coats of thinner paints. Also, depending on the color, it varies as to whether it's easier to start with your darkest tone and successively highlight up, or start with a high-mid-tone, wash for depth, then re-apply highlights at the end. Both approaches work, it's just a question of the final color tone you're after. I'm afraid there's no magic bullet (though good washes can work wonders and hide a multitude of sins).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm imagining a small rod with a fine, textured filing surface. A friend of mine has something similar, but its sized more like a skewer, not a needle.

Basically this. If you click the link in my last post, it'll show you what they look like. They're pretty good at getting into small spaces, and they work really well on Bones. Sand the mold line, then brush away the shavings.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ilor posted:

Smoother color transitions is almost always the answer, which unfortunately usually means more coats of thinner paints. Also, depending on the color, it varies as to whether it's easier to start with your darkest tone and successively highlight up, or start with a high-mid-tone, wash for depth, then re-apply highlights at the end. Both approaches work, it's just a question of the final color tone you're after. I'm afraid there's no magic bullet (though good washes can work wonders and hide a multitude of sins).

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to highlight from a dark tone , so I think I'll try the high midtone approach.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

JackMann posted:

Alternately, sanding needles work really well

Came here to poast this. Bones sand pretty well and a knife can take care of anything else. Don't forget to scrub the poo poo out of it before painting though.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
More 15mm stuff, improving my NMM a bit

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
LOVE the spider!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Making more progress on my Oath submission for this month:

So far, I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. The NMM effects are hard to make look right, and I still don't think I'm getting smooth enough fades, but overall I think I'm making progress with the technique. It's certainly getting easier to do. And if I used my airbrush rather than trying to do it with an actual brush, it would probably me much smoother. The problem is that I don't have a nozzle that's fine enough to really do some of the tight-in detail work, and I suspect that masking something this complicated in preparation for airbrushing the metal versus the black would be pretty time consuming.

But being as this is an August submission and I want those sweet, sweet theme challenge points, the next step is applying the flames. Aw, yeah! Fingers crossed that I don't completely ruin the thing in the process.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone have a good recommendation for an alternative matte coat sealer? I usually use Dullcote, but today I found out the hard way that it reacts oddly with weathering powder that's been fixed with mineral spirits. The dullcote sort of melted and then crystalized the powder destroying the effect. I can get it back by layering over it, but the result is a bit over weathered. Ah well.

Anyway, I'm looking for something that will seal the powder without melting it.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 23, 2016

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Honestly, anything that's going to provide a varnish-level sealant on your model is going to wet and set applied pigment powders like Dullcote does. Your best bet is to varnish before applying your pigments, then fix them with a pigment fixative of some sort, this can be as simple as using capillary action to apply a bit of mineral spirits to the area in question.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Exactly. Just swap the order you're doing it.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Hmm. Not sure. I am using the spirits as a fixative. Here is an example of the tank:

But I use these sprays to pause my progress, basically. The powders here have been locked in place with spirits. You're saying any spray will dissolve that?

To be clear:

- I varnished the model.
- Added the powders.
- Used capillary action to set them with spirits.
- Sprayed with dull cote...

Which turned them into white crystal.

So I just re added the powders and then set them again, which is why they look thick...

Bleh, found an article that explains it.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/effects-of-varnish-on-weathering.html

Edit: Sounds like I should mask the model when spraying it with dullcote and then manually apply pigment fixer to the powder.

(It's important this tank comes out well because it'll probably be killing Bulbasaur's mans.)

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 23, 2016

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

WIP on Fallen Frontiers Riff Hero, Fink Dradd

Riff Assault Troopers

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I'll never get tired of spider minis. Nice job.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I've got a new airbrush user question! I'm using a Badger 105 Patriot with an attached shop air compressor running at 25 psi.

The recipe I am using is based on a recipe I found online. As follows:

2/3 Reaper Black Primer
1/3 Water Mix (8/10ths waters, 1/10 isopropyl alcohol, 1/10 future floor polish)

The models have been primed white using a rattle can to reveal any flash or gaps I missed, then touched up with liquid green stuff in spots.

The paint is coming out thin enough that the paint is pooling in recesses, and is taking a very long time to dry. I assume that the issue is that I've got too much water. What ratio do you suggest for thinning my paint?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also a new airbrush user, but I found just using airbrush medium to be much more consistent in spray quality. With water it was harder to nail down too runny and slow to dry versus being too thick and spattering.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

darnon posted:

Also a new airbrush user, but I found just using airbrush medium to be much more consistent in spray quality. With water it was harder to nail down too runny and slow to dry versus being too thick and spattering.

Do you use about the same ration, 2:1 paint to medium? And do you recommend any particular brand? I can Amazon Prime myself something and try again tomorrow.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Liquitex airbrush medium. A big 8 oz bottle was $12. Ratio really will depend on the thickness of your starting paint. Skim milk is what you want to aim for. Ultimately for primer I just bought a 4 oz bottle of Badger airbrush ready because it's more economical than smaller bottles and primer gets used enough to justify the volume.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
One thing that I find really useful for paint mixing when im using my airbrush are those little plastic shot glasses you can buy at a supermarket. Its easy to see the consistency by moving the paint up the sides and its nice to pour into the airbrush. Nice and easy to clean up as well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
from my experience you really don't want to use water for thinning WRT airbrushing; it just doesn't cling to the object well enough to avoid runs. Thinners/Mediums are definitely the way to go outside handpainting.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Alright, ordered some medium, I'll see if that does any better with regards to pooling in recesses. Will report back.

Incidentilly, is there any reason I couldn't use the same Liquitex airbrush medium with my paints when brush painting? All the talk the last few pages about glazes has me interested in experiment with making my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Triggered posted:

One thing that I find really useful for paint mixing when im using my airbrush are those little plastic shot glasses you can buy at a supermarket. Its easy to see the consistency by moving the paint up the sides and its nice to pour into the airbrush. Nice and easy to clean up as well.

This is 100% the way to go. Hit up a dollar store and get 500 of them for cheap