Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blue Train posted:

because its bad to like bad things :confused:

oh yes, it's totally NOT pathetic to just let some random fuckhead on the internet I'll never meet and probably never want to tell me what to like or not instead of deciding for myself. "I used to take showers daily but a gbs poster said that's BAD so I'll never shower now so I won't like BAD THINGS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

thathonkey posted:

just dropping back in this swell thread to say that the people who are saying bad things about the show are dumb, bad whereas the people who are saying good things about the show are cool, good

That is correct honkey kong

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

nah, it's like :"hey remember watching ET as a kid!? well this is a more HARDCORE and GRITTY 8-hour ET mixed with a bunch of other 80s movies you fat piece of Netflix marathoning poo poo!"

It's more like a re-creation of/tribute to the 80's rather than a bunch of audience-nudging references. It also isn't even hardcore or gritty. You're trying really hard to hate popular thing.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I saw this, its pretty okay.

the bits with the kids loving suck though even by the standards of boring TV kids. I guess if you're pining for lovely boring films about lovely boriwng kids its like crack or something?

Next season should focus on crazy sheriff, crazy mum and that girl whose age I have to keep googling to make sure I'm not scum

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

fits my needs posted:

it looks like gay 80s poo poo engineered to appeal to the nostalgia of 35 year old goons who write really long posts about stuff that happened to them when they were in elementary school

gently caress you're self

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk i think by kid actor standards they did really well

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Moridin920 posted:

idk i think by kid actor standards they did really well

I thought Lucas was the weakest of the bunch but all of the other kids did pretty great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I made a music thing inspired by the show, because holy goddamn, do I love that 80s synth work. :allears:

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/normal-things

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

oh yeah they're all good actors, i'd be psyched to watch any of them in something that wasn't standard issue mawkish spielberg poo poo.

Lucas was best kid for what a whiny dick he was. I love that little fucker's attitude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fits my needs posted:

nah, it's like :"hey remember watching ET as a kid!? well this is a more HARDCORE and GRITTY 8-hour ET mixed with a bunch of other 80s movies you fat piece of Netflix marathoning poo poo!"

lol, i didn't grow up in america and have 0% cultural connection with the stuff the show is trying to invoke, and i thought it was great

you don't need to have any sort of nostalgia to recognize the original quality of it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

lol, i didn't grow up in america and have 0% cultural connection with the stuff the show is trying to invoke, and i thought it was great

you don't need to have any sort of nostalgia to recognize the original quality of it

I was born in '90, came to the US in '92. Growing up in an immigrant family I didn't really learn any American culture stuff other than what I absorbed through other kids at school (not really much) and what I saw on TV in the 90s.

So, no real US 80s nostalgia either and I thought it was great. TBH I didn't even realize it was supposed to be set in the 80s until about 2-3 episodes in when I started wondering where their cell phones were; just figured it was some small hick town in America :downs: (I was high leave me alone)

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Saint Drogo posted:

the bits with the kids loving suck though even by the standards of boring TV kids. I guess if you're pining for lovely boring films about lovely boriwng kids its like crack or something?

Next season should focus on crazy sheriff, crazy mum and that girl whose age I have to keep googling to make sure I'm not scum

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

...this i like

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

I was born in '90, came to the US in '92. Growing up in an immigrant family I didn't really learn any American culture stuff other than what I absorbed through other kids at school (not really much) and what I saw on TV in the 90s.

So, no real US 80s nostalgia either and I thought it was great. TBH I didn't even realize it was supposed to be set in the 80s until about 2-3 episodes in when I started wondering where their cell phones were; just figured it was some small hick town in America :downs: (I was high leave me alone)

I'm almost sure the first scene is explicitly set in 1982.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

fits my needs posted:

it looks like gay 80s poo poo engineered to appeal to the nostalgia of 35 year old goons who write really long posts about stuff that happened to them when they were in elementary school

Nothing loses you goon cred faster than admitting you enjoyed your childhood, family life and made friends and used those foundations to become a happy, productive adult

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

I was born in '90, came to the US in '92.

THIS is why we need Trump, guys. He could have stopped this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

I'm almost sure the first scene is explicitly set in 1982.

yeah but again I was high and prolly missed the title card and/or forgot about it 2 seconds later

Booblord Zagats posted:

THIS is why we need Trump, guys. He could have stopped this

but my family started a business which generates a lot of tax money and provides well paying American jobs?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

but my family started a business which generates a lot of tax money and provides well paying American jobs?

as if any self respecting american would accept handouts from a questionably legal foreign "business"

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This explains so goddamned much smfh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you're all a bunch of cykas

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

just finished and now i have the depression

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
It's good to keep in mind that in this cruel, indifferent and mostly hostile universe it is not at all outside the realm of possibility that we are also stalked by multidimensional hive-laying predators

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Celluloid Sam posted:

It going to be ok bb

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I never lived in the 80s and I havn't seen most of the movies this show is supposed to be making me nostalgic about. It's a good show on its own merits.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Celluloid Sam posted:

yea i tried to delay it as much as i could

2 weeks later, im watching it again but this time with my family

maybe you can try that? :shobon:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

nah that just means you live in an irrelevant country and have no idea what you are talking about. and are probably getting a film degree or something.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

its not even anime

it aint even japanese

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
It's clearly anime inspired and it contains neither Will nor Jean Ralphio Sr.'s hair so it's trash.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Will and his brother were really unsympathetic because they were horrible mainstream poseurs. "Should I Stay or Should I Go" my rear end. Play that kid something off of side 5 of Sandinista! or kill yourself.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if we're going by "its inspired by anime" it bears mentioning that the anime that inspired it (elfen lied) is one of the worst for unnecessary nudity and sex and violence and fanservice

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Does 'fanservice' mean animated titties?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

p much yea

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Due to the many scenes of nudity and gore in the series, Dominic Laeno criticized the series as being "overly blatant"[22] or "sad and forced".[23] The overt graphic nature of the first nine minutes of the first episode has deterred some viewers and caused controversy upon its release.

the opening is a naked girl (not 11) coming out a holding tank type thing (not isolation tank) and exploding a bunch of guards heads

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Monomythian posted:

its not even anime

it aint even japanese

being reactionary not on purpose is good imo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!