Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Kodiak posted:

Hah, yeah. However, a professional boxer who denies that they're engaging in a sport with risk of lethal injury is either lying or fooling themselves.

Not every boxing movie needs to depict traumatic brain injury as a result of the sport. But a movie that sidesteps even the implicit moral question of engaging in a dangerous sport by being about a guy who's diegetically so good at boxing that it is literally impossible for him to receive or cause such an injury would need a really interesting angle on that to not be completely pathetic.

Well, yeah, of course. I just think the conversation turning towards "you can't knock a dude out he's gonna die" is course-correcting a little too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, yeah, of course. I just think the conversation turning towards "you can't knock a dude out he's gonna die" is course-correcting a little too far.

Agreed. I was using your comment as a jumping off point.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 22, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RBA Starblade posted:

Please note the "occasionally" in my statement. Batman fights an entire boxer's career worth of opponents in, like, a weekend.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mr. stefan posted:

There's a difference between a story where Batman refuses to kill (and, by extension, limits and controls his actions as appropriate) and a story where Batman engages in ridiculous action movie violence that only fails to kill via authorial fiat.
I recognize the difference, I just don't see one as inherently superior to the other. It's simply a level of suspension of disbelief - Getting hung up on the medical fallout of a fight while accepting everything else about Batman is.... perplexing to me. Choosing to tell a story that explores that makes perfect sense to me, but refusing to overlook it in a story unconcerned with it just seems strange to me.

"Billionaire travels the world, becomes a ninja, builds well-beyond-state-of-the-art technology to fight crime, which btw is being perpetrated by crocodile monsters, killer clowns, a woman who controls plants, etc.. Yep, this all checks out, provided he doesn't knock a person out without causing brain damage"

And in a film where an alien slams a guy through several concrete walls at the speed of sound, and then claims a couple scenes later he didn't kill him.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 22, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't care much about the lengthy killchat (either is fine), but what ARE the essential batman accouterments you might necessary in an adaptation before the character is just a new character you're calling Batman?

If you were doing a single story/film about a new batman unrelated to any existing portrayals, would you feel compelled to retain:
- cape
- batsignal
- batmobile
- alfred
- gordon
- bruce wayne as playboy
- murdered parents
etc.

Or is anything fair game if it captures the general spirit of a person whose trauma leads him to an essentially silly nighttime activity that arguably contributes to reduction in crime and/or madvillainy?

Just curious, especially as the standard batman iconography becomes more worn. I'm not very familiar with fringe "red son" type stuff in comics history though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

And in a film where an alien slams a guy through several concrete walls at the speed of sound, and then claims a couple scenes later he didn't kill him.

Clark says "I didn't kill those people," in reference to the mutilated and burned villagers, not that he didn't kill the guy who was threatening to shoot Lois.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Slugworth posted:

Getting hung up on the medical fallout of a fight while accepting everything else about Batman is.... perplexing to me.

It is literally the "no-kill" poo poo that does this, with magic Iron Man scanners that show that the building was uninhabited or full-body Detective Mode scanners that let the audience know that the dude that Batman spiked face-first into the pavement is "unconscious".

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Drifter posted:

Clark says "I didn't kill those people," in reference to the mutilated and burned villagers, not that he didn't kill the guy who was threatening to shoot Lois.

Even taking a life that threatens to kill an innocent is so beyond peoples' moral comprehension, that their view of the film's sense of reality becomes distorted.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

At least in most other iterations of Batman (a character I now hate because of this thread) there's a possibility that the people Batman takes on survived. BvS dispenses with this and make it clear that Batman is an unrepentant killer. A man little better than the people he's fighting. Again, if that's what you want, great. Not everyone wants a Batman that's :rock:Super Extreme:rock: though.

In addition to being the most psychotic Batman, Batfleck is probaby the most naive and stupid. He's a big dumb psycho.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Yaws posted:

At least in most other iterations of Batman (a character I now hate because of this thread) there's a possibility that the people Batman takes on survived. BvS dispenses with this and make it clear that Batman is an unrepentant killer. A man little better than the people he's fighting. Again, if that's what you want, great. Not everyone wants a Batman that's :rock:Super Extreme:rock: though.

That you won't accept any form of media where Batman is forced to kill to stop a well armed group of mercenaries is actually the extreme idea. The fact that you consider questioning his "goodness" relative to the people he's fighting as inherently negative speaks volumes.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 22, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

KVeezy3 posted:

Even taking a life that threatens to kill an innocent is so beyond peoples' moral comprehension, that their view of the film's sense of reality becomes distorted.
If that was aimed towards me, I was simply misremembering the quote, for which I apologize.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Slugworth posted:

If that was aimed towards me, I was simply misremembering the quote, for which I apologize.

It's not just you, this question of whether Superman killed the rebel leader is all over the internet and is considered a plot hole.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

KVeezy3 posted:

It worked in The Dark Knight.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

So anti-heroes condone the act of killing by their very existence?

I can't come up with a single anti-hero that doesn't kill, so yes.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem here is that Batman is also supposed to be a man. A peak man, but a man.

There is no human being, and there never will be, who can beat people unconscious without accidentally killing some of them occasionally. Sorry. It's like saying that it's possible to shoot a machine gun full-auto at a moving jeep full of guys and not hit any of them because "he's a marksman".

The idealogy in no-kill Batman is that it's possible for an ordinary man to use consequence-free violence. It should be explicitly rejected.

This is totally and completely false. Batman is the world's greatest martial artist. As in, he faced every other martial artist on planet Earth and beat them all, including ones that were actively trying to kill him. He is capable of taking down any foe non-lethally, and would only struggle with top tier martial artists. So maybe 10 people on the entire planet. I reference the following post:

Maluco Marinero posted:

This is an illustration from Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, underneath a title, The Ethics of Defense in Combat. From top to bottom:

- killing unprovoked
- provoking and then killing
- reacting and killing due to prioritising oneself
- reacting and neutralising without killing

Even though the first three all result in death, one could hardly say they're all ethically equivalent, even though those who would call BvS Batman 'Murderman' would like to think they are.

In order to fulfil the highest ideal one would need to be highly skilled (far more skilled than the opposition), and have ethical intent to ensure no deaths. MoS Superman was lacking in skill, and BvS Batman was lacking in intent or skill. It's all a far deeper way to look at the characters than to just assume they are all powerful and this capable of full filling the highest ideal at all times, a notion that Lex Luthor specifically calls out as impossible based on his experiences. (God can either be all powerful or all good, not both)

Jesus Christ this shits in the text folks. How hard can it be??

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 23, 2016

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Lady Shiva is the world's greatest martial artist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slugworth posted:

And in a film where an alien slams a guy through several concrete walls at the speed of sound

Superman is a world class combatant and can expertly target the exact pressure points in a concrete wall required to push someone through it without major trauma

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Detective Dog Dick posted:

In New 52 and beyond maybe, I haven't been keeping up

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Al Bundy? George Costanza? Daria Morgendorffer??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_antiheroes

(The term is so vague and can be applied so widely that it's almost meaningless unless you narrow it down to specific genres within specific media)

Edit: I bet Al, George and Daria have all killed people anyway so SSB's point probably still stands

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 23, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Mr. Terrific is the third smartest man in the world.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

In New 52 and beyond maybe, I haven't been keeping up

She was also that pre-New 52. Heck, I think it was canon that her daugther, Cass Cain, was a better martial artist that Batman.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
Batman not being an executioner actually cuts closer to what is meant by him having a code against killing. He's not out to be Judge Dredd. He doesn't consider himself to have the right to decide who lives or dies. He is aware that if people die in boxing matches, some might die fighting him, which children were generally aware of back before we tried to teach them otherwise.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reed Richards is the smartest guy in the world, and that's why he can invent flying cars and teleportation matrixes through uncharted dimensions and poo poo. Just like in real life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Equeen posted:

She was also that pre-New 52. Heck, I think it was canon that her daugther, Cass Cain, was a better martial artist that Batman.

Didn't Conner Hawke defeat her?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(The term is so vague and can be applied so widely that it's almost meaningless unless you narrow it down to specific genres within specific media)

Edit: I bet Al, George and Daria have all killed people anyway so SSB's point probably still stands

Al Bundy never killed anyone.

They died later due to unrelated injuries.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Conner Hawke defeat her?

Uhhh... I'm not sure? :confused: I'm not terribly familar with her character .

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Equeen posted:

After doing a bit of research it would seem that there's a lot of conflicting opinions on who the actual top spot is. I think we can safely say that everyone mentioned thus far would belong in the top 5 however.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Equeen posted:

Uhhh... I'm not sure? :confused: I'm not terribly familar with her character .

It was during a 5 part crossover waaay back. He either beat her or fought her to a standstill.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Costanza killed his fiancee

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

It's not just you, this question of whether Superman killed the rebel leader is all over the internet and is considered a plot hole.

What's great about that scene is that it dispenses with any nonsense about the ends justifying the means. The ends are omitted entirely.

Superman used lethal force to prevent his girlfriend from being executed. Did the guy survive the lethal force? Who cares? That's irrelevant.

Fans are trapped in childish terms like "no-kill rule", when more specific terms - like "justifiable use of lethal force" - reveal that Batman uses lethal force constantly.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My argument is more along the lines of, there is no such thing as a justifiable use of lethal force for a vigilante. You're just a guy killing people. This wouldn't apply to a legally sanctioned official.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

My argument is more along the lines of, there is no such thing as a justifiable use of lethal force for a vigilante. You're just a guy killing people. This wouldn't apply to a legally sanctioned official.

It's almost as if the a huge point of the movie is this exact sentence.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's almost as if the a huge point of the movie is this exact sentence.

Maybe Batman needs a senate hearing too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's obviously no legal justification, but the whole point of vigilantism is that there may be moral justifications for particular illegal activity.

Also, Batman isn't just a vigilante in BvS. His attempted assassination of Superman, and the crimes he commits to enable it, aren't an attempt to enact justice.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

That's basically what Clark was trying to do.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

That's also what the movie is about. Clark is bitter that Batman gets no media scrutiny because he targets the poor with the help of the police. Then he's patronized for being too idealized.

That you think justice can only be legally sanctioned is a little disturbing. Like returning a runaway slave.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reed Richards is the smartest guy in the world, and that's why he can invent flying cars and teleportation matrixes through uncharted dimensions and poo poo. Just like in real life.

But somehow he can't make Professor X walk (permanently).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

computer parts posted:

But somehow he can't make Professor X walk (permanently).

Making an old man walk permanently would be cruel and unusual, though. How would he sleep?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

KVeezy3 posted:

That you think justice can only be legally sanctioned is a little disturbing. Like returning a runaway slave.

Compared to vigilantism? And justice and lethal force are not the same thing. Even if it were, a legally sanctioned official would (ideally) have his actions scrutinized and investigated.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 23, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Reed could probably fix Chuck's legs but he knows how careless he is and he'd just get himself paralyzed again in a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

This is totally and completely false. Batman is the world's greatest martial artist. As in, he faced every other martial artist on planet Earth and beat them all, including ones that were actively trying to kill him. He is capable of taking down any foe non-lethally, and would only struggle with top tier martial artists. So maybe 10 people on the entire planet. I reference the following post:

Umm, that's great and all, but where in the movie's text or subtext does this 'world's greatest martial artist' get established? Furthermore, the scene in question has Batman take on two dozen armed hostiles simultaneously. Many martial arts have ways to control space around them, but 24 armed hostiles (with some disabled weaponry but not all) seems a bit of a stretch in terms of allowing for restraint to be taken.

It's the same argument with Man of Steel. Why are we watching if the challenges posed to the heroes don't pose any sort of threat to them? Some (and you) seem to want to assume the authorial intent was that Batman and Superman decided they wouldn't preserve life or avoid collateral damage, rather than that they couldn't.

• Locked thread