Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Document, document, document. Labor offices love nothing more than being handed a stack of papers meticulously detailing violations, less work for them! Then enjoy your pay day after you do eventually find a new job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Life is a series of compromises we make to continue living.

Yep. Stoicism is a trait that seems to be in pretty short supply these days.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm doing the CCNAX v3 class. I'm going to be so burnt out by the end of the class but it'll be worth it.

I also have the ICND01 and ICND02 books from Cisco but I haven't had much time to look through them yet. They'll be for more after the class.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Daylen Drazzi posted:

30 minutes of unpaid break time are not optional - they are a federally mandated requirement that all employers must, by law, allow.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're going to try to invoke some sort of legal poo poo, talk to a lawyer first. The school has a lawyer, and they'll know the rules better than you do. Going into the arena unarmed is a good way to lose.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Correct, when I was on a WFM project, we handled the labor laws for roughly 35 states, and all of them required at least 15 minutes of uninterrupted break time, but it's State mandated in all cases.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
And yet, when a Canadian expresses shock and horror about US labor laws, people get mad at them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

That's federal law, not state law. New York state, for example, requires shifts 6 hours or longer to have a 30 minute break. This is like saying the age of consent in Japan is 14.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's federal law, not state law. New York state, for example, requires shifts 6 hours or longer to have a 30 minute break. This is like saying the age of consent in Japan is 14.

Did you, or did you not, read the post I was responding to, that I even quoted in my post?

Here it is again.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

30 minutes of unpaid break time are not optional - they are a federally mandated requirement that all employers must, by law, allow.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yeah, less than half of states have mandatory lunch/break laws. Here in Indiana there's nothing of that sort at all (well, unless you're under 18.)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Did you, or did you not, read the post I was responding to, that I even quoted in my post?

Here it is again.

Semantics aside the point still stands. Breaks are mandated by law, just not federal law. Leave the fishmeching to Fishmech.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Semantics aside the point still stands. Breaks are mandated by law, just not federal law. Leave the fishmeching to Fishmech.

If someone says federal law mandates X but federal law is silent on X and mandates no such thing, that's kind of a big difference.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No sorry dude, you're the one that's wrong here. Goon 1's main point was that federal law blah blah, Goon 2 pointed out that federal law doesn't blah blah.

You could have just posted "My bad, I was thinking of state law," but welp, here we are

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Also, he's in Mississippi, right? Or is it Missouri? Regardless, neither state requires breaks at all, so he's hosed there too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I shall apologize and say I'm sorry as I have been justly corrected.

Sorry Larches, guess you're just hosed.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

:mad: "Why aren't you in your office?"
:smith: "I just left for lunch."
:mad: "Well, you didn't properly inform anyone you were leaving and there's a student over here who can't log into her computer and she's waiting on you."

I see you all arguing over taking a lunch, when his statement is more the fact that apparently nobody was AWARE he was on lunch.

In a school, if a student goes down to the IT office and waits around all class period because there's nobody there to tell them nobody will help them, or there's no sign on the door or whatever, then that's a problem.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Honestly all that should need to be done is to hire someone to fill the open position formerly occupied by Larches' useless ex-subordinate. Then there would be someone from IT on hand at all times as they would take lunch at different times. Given that this is the public school system this position will probably just sit empty though because it will save costs.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: Communist revolution now

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Deuce posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: Communist revolution now! This is affecting production!

Though Effecting would probably work as well.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I was wondering why our phones were so quiet this afternoon. can't really complain, though, since this is the first outage we've had since starting with them a year ago

http://vonagebusiness.force.com/trust

quote:

Access to the administration portal (my.vonagebusiness.com) remains not available.

Also explains why my VoIP softphone wouldn't even let me log in, since it uses the same credentials.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The one positive thing I can say about SharePoint is that there is no 'SharePoint for Business' brand fuckery that makes Onedrive and Skype such loving nightmares to discuss with staff.

Onedrive for business is Microsoft hosted Sharepoint.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Y'all need to clam down

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Virigoth posted:

Y'all need to clam down

It's PCOS Bill, just ignore him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Virigoth posted:

Y'all need to clam down

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lampey posted:

Onedrive for business is Microsoft hosted Sharepoint.
That's true but that factor is entirely back-facing and as a result it's not involved in making me deal with hysterical staff who've 'lost' their documents because they signed into Onedrive with their business email, or demands to make a Skype for Business meetings "just work" with invitees who are trying to join on Skype.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

anthonypants posted:

And yet, when a Canadian expresses shock and horror about US labor laws, people get mad at them.

No, that's not when people get mad. It's when "a Canadian" expresses smug superiority that they aren't subject to these terrible labor laws, and also when that's the only thing "a Canadian" ever expresses. There's a difference.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Two newbies came in.

I ended up taking them under my wing. Both of them think of me as the cool office dude and keep asking me for life advice as they think i'm 31. I haven't got the heart to tell them that i'm not actually in my 30's and the stress + beard just makes me look like that.

They're nice people though :unsmith:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Nerdrock posted:

I see you all arguing over taking a lunch, when his statement is more the fact that apparently nobody was AWARE he was on lunch.

In a school, if a student goes down to the IT office and waits around all class period because there's nobody there to tell them nobody will help them, or there's no sign on the door or whatever, then that's a problem.
This. It's a silly thing, but you have to play by the least common denominator sometimes. I spent $4 on these silly door hangers because my new office has a door with no window in it. At first management was like "Hey guys, we don't have windows on the doors anymore so please leave your door open if you're in." And I responded, "Hey management, I'm constantly on the phone and I'll disrupt the whole hallway (and vice versa) if I leave my door open. Check out my door sign to see if I'm in or not."

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Che Delilas posted:

No, that's not when people get mad. It's when "a Canadian" expresses smug superiority that they aren't subject to these terrible labor laws, and also when that's the only thing "a Canadian" ever expresses. There's a difference.

The worst part is that we really don't have much of a leg to stand on in this case

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Ticket came in.

All recordings and clocks were showing as an hour behind. Checked the time zone and someone had changed the server from Central US to Central America.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Alighieri posted:

Ticket came in.

All recordings and clocks were showing as an hour behind. Checked the time zone and someone had changed the server from Central US to Central America.

:911: They're the same thing, right? :911:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

The worst part is that we really don't have much of a leg to stand on in this case

Importantant Note: Although not required by the labour code, your employer is not prohibited from giving you these things. Furthermore, especially in the case of overtime, if you're working, they still have to pay you normal rate for that time. Your contract may entitle you to anything listed there, although if it's absent, you can't point to the labour code to get it anyway.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Heners_UK posted:

Importantant Note: Although not required by the labour code, your employer is not prohibited from giving you these things. Furthermore, especially in the case of overtime, if you're working, they still have to pay you normal rate for that time. Your contract may entitle you to anything listed there, although if it's absent, you can't point to the labour code to get it anyway.

Well yeah of course your employer can, but at the kind of lovely job where you have to start looking at the MOL site in the first place, the employer probably isn't giving you those things in the first place.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Alighieri posted:

Ticket came in.

This is why we run servers in UTC ~~ gently caress the haters ~~.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Amused that you amateurs don't use Swatch Internet Time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
At least we're not at the scale of Google that has to do leap smears, that poo poo is insane.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

deimos posted:

At least we're not at the scale of Google that has to do leap smears, that poo poo is insane.

It makes more sense than minutes with 61 seconds. They ought to just make that the NTP standard.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yesterday a ticket came in, we had to change the cpu/memory settings on like 100 vms. It got split up into a bunch of groups for 10 different engineers to work on.
I volunteered to do all of them.

I'm drinking a beer while the script runs. They all think I'm working hard.

If you're working in Windows, learn Powershell yah doofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick question that's probably been answered before:

Does anyone know of a decent free online product that I could use to set up a problem/solution database for my first level techs? There's a shitload of simple issues they have to deal with that would be made way more efficient with some easy online site where they could just search keywords and find an explanation/solution.

e: it would be useful if each of them could log in as themselves to make edits

• Locked thread