Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had an abortion of an interchange featuring what looked like two trumpets feeding C lanes on a C/E expressway separated by 2 that worked out path wise to just be a single giant interchange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also try to avoid grids as much as possible with mostly intersections with three ways and plenty of diagonal and dare I say curved streets

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Got bored with the other city I was making, wasn't really feeling the terrain.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

rscott posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=645834778
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=694588009
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=726848886

Don't remember where the fence and gate assets are from (probably soldyne?) but they shouldn't be too hard to find. I have them as assets but steam doesn't let you search through what you're subscribed to very easily

tyvm

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's always some asset that kills my game a like gives me the crash on PDX logo - and I can never figure out which one it is making me go back and unsubscribe to a shitload of assets to try to get it working

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I thought it was rush hour that was giving me problems, but my poo poo just crashed on autosave and I don't know why :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Thin Privilege posted:

Hopefully someone will mod in that crazy round alien destroyer thing from SC2K. That was my fav.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYt_-tC0GOw

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

rscott posted:

Got bored with the other city I was making, wasn't really feeling the terrain.

Good choice of map. I'm working on an improved, more detailed version currently but it might end up being really quite different to the existing one, I'm not super happy with sections of it as is. Happy to hear any feedback on it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Hopefully someone will mod in that crazy round alien destroyer thing from SC2K. That was my fav.

"Do we want a city on the splash screen?"
"Nah, screw that. Alien."

I always liked the SC4 mothership, too. I do hope they include Godzilla.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 22, 2016

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm building an 81 tile cite using WG's 'Realistic Population and Balance' as well 'Citizen Lifecycle Rebalance'. I realize unlocking 81 tiles puts a large burden on my expenses due to the regional highways, but it seems my income is completely disproportionate to my expenses. At 50k population, I'm collecting only about 26k (21k of which is public transportation income). Meanwhile, my expenses are north of 200k- and it's not like I'm overdoing it with the services/parks/monuments. Disabl

There just doesn't seem to be a single route to make this city actually solvent, and I can't seem to find any mod specifically responsible for killing my tax income or boosting expenses disproportionately. 5k in tax income at 10% seems really low for a 50k city however.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JVNO posted:

I'm building an 81 tile cite using WG's 'Realistic Population and Balance' as well 'Citizen Lifecycle Rebalance'. I realize unlocking 81 tiles puts a large burden on my expenses due to the regional highways, but it seems my income is completely disproportionate to my expenses. At 50k population, I'm collecting only about 26k (21k of which is public transportation income). Meanwhile, my expenses are north of 200k- and it's not like I'm overdoing it with the services/parks/monuments. Disabl

There just doesn't seem to be a single route to make this city actually solvent, and I can't seem to find any mod specifically responsible for killing my tax income or boosting expenses disproportionately. 5k in tax income at 10% seems really low for a 50k city however.

That's weird, I always play with money off but I always as a rule keep my self in the black at least after the basics are up and running, and WG's mods don't seem to effect anything there.
What's the break down of your costs? Road/highway upkeep is actually super low in the game, it's generally services/utilities that are the big ticket items. Your budget screen should line item every cost.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Here's my budget panel:

Here's my city for a sense of scale/development:

I've had to use the 'cash on demand' mod to stay afloat, hoping I'd eventually become solvent. Beyond that, I am certainly not playing as optimally as I could (I'm following Hamilton's real life design closely, and did the airport/docks sooner than I would have if 'playing' the game), and there's definitely room to reduce expenses... But there's literally an order of magnitude in difference between income and expenses. In particular, the income seems extremely low.

As a separate issue- I've reskinned roads to American style, but traffic lights are still located on the European side rather than across the intersection. Any mods to fix it?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 23, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's weird and annoying. I try to only ever enable one new mod/thing at a time so I can better judge what's loving poo poo up. I don't know if your expenses are too high or income too low but something isn't close to right.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Odd bug: new city, and roads are connected, but nobody's moving in

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Are the roads in the correct direction? (As in, not one-way roads facing outward only?)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Baronjutter posted:

That's weird and annoying. I try to only ever enable one new mod/thing at a time so I can better judge what's loving poo poo up. I don't know if your expenses are too high or income too low but something isn't close to right.

So I researched what's going on, and it seems there might be a rubber banding mechanic in the game that prevents massive surpluses of cash. Your tax income drops in relation to the money in your treasury, so I ironically was causing the budget fuckery by continuing to use the 'cash on demand' mod.

I guess it's to prevent accumulating billions by running the game overnight?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 23, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Orange Mage posted:

Are the roads in the correct direction? (As in, not one-way roads facing outward only?)

Also check your on-ramps too. I've had that happen before where one was facing the wrong direction (without any icon being displayed as well) and that prevented anyone from moving in despite buildings being under construction. I think cims need to be able to hypothetically leave the city too before they move in.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

uggggh loving new map and it's doing it again

time to nuke my install again :/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Traffic Manager President Edition was the culprit

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have discovered an odd bug. Does anyone know why the tram tab is completely empty? I have snowfall, and I am playing on a winter map, but when I go to the tram tab, there is nothing there. Not even locked things.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Edit: oh they are in other tabs. Why the hell is there a trams tab in roads then?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 23, 2016

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

Paradox Features Modders Masterpieces in New Cities: Skylines DLC
Community Contributors Get the Spotlight with New “Content Creator Packs”

STOCKHOLM - August 24, 2016 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher that knows how to commune with its community, today announced the first downloadable content (DLC) for Cities: Skylines to feature creations from one of the game’s talented modders. The best-selling city-building game Cities: Skylines has been modified and built upon by aspiring architects, artists, and designers worldwide since its launch in 2015, with over 90,000 pieces of community-created content now available on Steam Workshop. Paradox will soon publish its first official DLC featuring exclusively assets created by a community contributor, and share the benefits from the pack’s sales with the content creator.

The first pack, titled “Content Creator Pack: Art Deco,” will include a selection of Deco-inspired buildings from community creator Matt “Shroomblaze” Crux. These buildings are new and original creations created by Crux, exclusive to the Art Deco pack, and Crux will receive a share of revenue from their sale in addition to an initial payment from Paradox to cover the cost of production. Other community creators will be highlighted in upcoming packs planned for the near future.

“After over 3,400 hours in Cities: Skylines, it’s wonderful to have my own buildings become part of the game’s landscape,” said Matt Crux, the modder behind the Art Deco pack. “Because the Art Deco era is so highly regarded as one of the best building styles of history, I think it needs to be represented as such. I made the suggestion to Paradox Interactive and they allowed me to come up with the buildings of my choice. I’m eager to see what the rest of the community thinks of them.”

i guess this is nice. i wish they had done this from the start tbh

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Metrication posted:

Yeah, this is pretty cool. Hope they do it with other asset creators, I think a few modders have had their stuff incorporated into the base code of DLCs as well?

On another note, I'm working on a re-release of a super detailed version of my Mountain Bay map with some adjustments for more realistic terrain in the actual bay area, here's some WIP screenshots:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Metrication posted:

Neat, I guess? I love Art Deco but there's plenty to choose from on the Workshop now so I guess I'll wait and see what the quality and variety we're working with here. And price.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't really follow modders that closely but anyone know what's up with bloody penguin? I haven't been playing since he announced his ground metro project, waiting for it to be finished. But it's been quite a while and his steam page is quiet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I don't really follow modders that closely but anyone know what's up with bloody penguin? I haven't been playing since he announced his ground metro project, waiting for it to be finished. But it's been quite a while and his steam page is quiet.

Their Simtropolis thread hasn't had a post in about 15 days. It seems like they just dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe Paradox approached them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Their Simtropolis thread hasn't had a post in about 15 days. It seems like they just dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe Paradox approached them?

Man if BP stops modding I don't have high hopes for CS. If BP was hired by CO to work on their own poo poo, I don't have high hopes for CS. If BP was hired AND is working on his own poo poo officially, then that would be amazing.
The worst of both worlds though would be him getting hired to work on the latest massive gameplay expansion that adds yet another service building that sends out little trucks that take care of some new non-engaging problem.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Man if BP stops modding I don't have high hopes for CS. If BP was hired by CO to work on their own poo poo, I don't have high hopes for CS. If BP was hired AND is working on his own poo poo officially, then that would be amazing.
The worst of both worlds though would be him getting hired to work on the latest massive gameplay expansion that adds yet another service building that sends out little trucks that take care of some new non-engaging problem.

Turns out it's actually Paradox working with and paying modders, not CO, so maybe they offered to publish the metro expansion as an official DLC like Shroomblaze's building pack.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And here's a question: if paradox partners with a modder to make their poo poo paid content does their existing stuff go off the workshop? Like is shroomy going to take all his stuff down and force us to buy his DLC pack if we ever want his stuff? How will updates then be handled?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Baronjutter posted:

And here's a question: if paradox partners with a modder to make their poo poo paid content does their existing stuff go off the workshop? Like is shroomy going to take all his stuff down and force us to buy his DLC pack if we ever want his stuff? How will updates then be handled?

Well this building DLC has completely new content apparently, so he wouldn't have to take down his stuff unless he felt like it probably. It also remains to be seen whether we will see gameplay mods picked up this way. My guess is that Paradox will stick to map and building makers, since that requires the least support after release. It would be cool if BP were hired and the cool deep stuff he was working on became official in some capacity though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metrication posted:

hey now they just need to make the game not crash for having too many assets loaded

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Gotta get myself a hat

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
have to say i'm not particularly impressed with these tbh
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines-content-creator-pack-art-deco

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Five bucks for that? No way!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

You're kidding.

I would sooner pay 5 dollars for some loving weather that isn't the same square texture repeating over and over in multiple layers (there's seriously so many good, efficient ways to make realistic video game snow and they used none of them)

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Err, yeah, those are pretty ugly. Most of them look like half-finished concepts.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i'm not sure they even fit with the stock buildings ?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, I would have considered buying it if it was a complete building theme like the European set, but that's not a whole lot of content.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The pictures aren't loading on my phone for some reason but I'm going to take people's reactions so far as an indication that I'm not missing much. The list only contains 15 buildings which seems a little anemic for $5, too.

That's a shame really. Building a city that looked like Rapture or Gotham would've been fun and made all those crazy rear end freeways in the sky I build fit in a lot more.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That's a shame really. Building a city that looked like Rapture or Gotham would've been fun and made all those crazy rear end freeways in the sky I build fit in a lot more.

There are art deco buildings available on the workshop, and Feindbild has a good set of Brooklyn/Manhattan buildings too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow those aren't very good at all. Some of them are ok but most of them are not of a quality I'd want to download for free, let alone buy. A whole game done in that art style would be ok, but they'll stick out like a sore thumb against the mostly photo-realistic buildings most creators make and the only sort of cartoony vanilla graphics.