Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think he will ever surpass pluto. aside from happy all of his stuff is very good, but pluto remains a cut above the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
god, happy was such an awful manga.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

god, happy was such an awful manga.

To be fair, it's clear to see that he based it on soap operas (especially mexican ones) so if you hate soap operas you would hate it as well. It was well made in that regard.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Man, I remember liking Pluto just fine but so many people seem to love that one whereas I thought Monster and 20th Century Boy were so much better. I really need to reread it soon since it's so short, I can only remember the major story beats off the top of my head. I only ever read his stuff once it's already finished, so I guess I'll finally have to check out Billy Bat soon.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's Billy Bat about?

A cartoonist in 40s america has a comic about a bat detective, but it turns out his bat character is actually something much bigger than just a cartoon. It goes into a lot of crazy conspiracy poo poo, like the moon landing, the JFK assassination, and 9/11. It was pretty fun to read through because of that stuff, but I don't think it's going to have a very satisfying conclusion. It feels like these last volumes are sort of spinning their wheels.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
20/21st century boys had a pretty bad ending too iirc

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Jose posted:

20/21st century boys had a pretty bad ending too iirc

Everything after the second time skip was awful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
20th century boys is like, the epitome of all buildup, failed followthrough.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I don't remember the end of 20th being that bad? But that 21st in general was completely unnecessary, which kind of sours everything.

When I reread them some time back the thing that really struck me, though, is that just about every chapter ends in a cliffhanger, especially one where the character sees and reacts to something that we don't. It was pretty gripping the first time through but the second time through you're kind of rolling your eyes at just hard it's going with it.

Kind of funny that Billy Bat also time skips to a dystopian, desert-filled future, too.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm not letting this be ignored by the thread. Everyone should read this, don't be put off by the title and the opening page.

coathat
May 21, 2007

What kind of idiot would be put off by the title and opening page?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The remains of Zorak's legions still prowl these desiccated threads

It's pretty unusually forthright/'western' in its musings on mental health and depression. Feels like most anime/manga brush it off similar to that doctor, if they even bring up characters' obvious mental issues at all. Though obviously Seinen/Josei manga tend to be better about it than the rest, but still not terribly great.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm going to read that because of the title and opening page.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tangents posted:

When I reread them some time back the thing that really struck me, though, is that just about every chapter ends in a cliffhanger, especially one where the character sees and reacts to something that we don't. It was pretty gripping the first time through but the second time through you're kind of rolling your eyes at just hard it's going with it.

I find that while Urasawa is good, his manga tends to be a bit overrated (partly for the reason you mention). Once you've read a few of his titles, they feel a little formulaic. It's not a *bad* formula, mind you, but I wouldn't consider him one of the best manga artists around.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was fine with the way 20thCB ended, even if the journey was ultimately far more memorable than the destination. I'll definitely pick Billy Bat back up because while it was solid enough the way it kept jumping around from one plot thread/time period to a new one made it just not work all that well when being read serially in a slow release. It was much more suited to a binge read.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I was fine with the way 20thCB ended, even if the journey was ultimately far more memorable than the destination. I'll definitely pick Billy Bat back up because while it was solid enough the way it kept jumping around from one plot thread/time period to a new one made it just not work all that well when being read serially in a slow release. It was much more suited to a binge read.

Anyone remind me how it ended actually? I'm drawing a blank.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, if i recall correctly the good guys won and no one could figure out who friend was, because he was just some guy.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

uh, if i recall correctly the good guys won and no one could figure out who friend was, because he was just some guy.

Yeah, I think friend was apparently some guy that never ever popped up before, but sorta stalked the group wanting to be their friends. Very weak reveal.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Reveal of Friend was good and well-plotted. Reveal of second Friend was Asspull City.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would say that the movie did it better, but I haven't seen it in years and don't remember the fine details.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I would say that the movie did it better, but I haven't seen it in years and don't remember the fine details.

The live-action movie trilogy adaptation of 20CB was one of the worst things I've ever forced myself to watch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do you even gently caress it up. some cheap props cover the robot thing that was cheap props in the manga and then there are like no other effects needed

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

how do you even gently caress it up. some cheap props cover the robot thing that was cheap props in the manga and then there are like no other effects needed

terrible acting I guess. Why are they all so bad? Shinjuku swan and Yamikin Ushijima kun are uninspired garbage as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked the part in the second movie I think where Otcho dramatically cocks the shotgun without firing it like 5 times over the course of a bunch of scenes.

Anyway yeah the deal with Friend was sort of anti-climatic but I liked pretty much everything they did with the main cast in terms of where they ended up and/or did to help out. The eventual callback to Kanna waking up and seeing the giant robot was cool too.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i didnt think the ending to monster was good either

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

New Ancient Magus Bride chapter

Hahaha, the horrible man-eating cosmic horror is sulking because he's jealous :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
CATAPHILIUS! :argh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry but I'm team wandering jew, chise already comes from such a background of violence and abuse that it kind of sucks that she has to threaten to kill herself to stop a tentacle monster from crushing her in a jealous bruising embrace, child-like monster man who introduced her to a world of wonder or not.
Besides my dude just wants a lil baby dragon rib. Probably delish man
Totally thought for a second some weird human faction was breaking into the magic world but I guess those are already wizards and apparently mr warden had dealt with poachers before

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really like the manga in every aspect except the main relationship, which I find a bit gross. Maybe her character will develop to move past it, but previous experience with manga suggests otherwise...

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I'm cautiously optimistic for good character development; multiple characters have pointed out Chise's situation and how she should get out and expand her horizons more instead of just hanging around Elias all the time (who has also had it pointed out that he's pretty sheltered in a bunch of aspects)

The threatening herself with a knife thing was kinda hosed up tho.

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

Relin posted:

i didnt think the ending to monster was good either
I love reading his works, but all of the endings are uniformly weak.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pluto's is perfect.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I actually liked the reveal of the second Friend.

Urasawa does seem to prefer quieter and more understated endings, which can sometimes clash with his more energetic works. I'm generally a fan of it, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Re: Ancient Magus Bride

Chise and Elias are both really hosed up individuals due to the circumstances of their pasts which I think is deliberate. I'm not so certain that the portrayal of their relationship so closely mirroring real world abusive relationships and the fictions/dangeorus mindsets that are so often associated with them (girl is the only one who can understand guy who everyone else thinks is dangerous and thinks she should get away from/guy is really nice and tender, he's just a little possessive and doesn't mean it when he hurts girl or keeps her from doing the things she wants) is intended though.

Their relationship being messed up definitely isn't being ignored, but on the other hand I can't tell yet whether it's heading to them entering a codependent relationship (whether that's Chise depending on Elias, Elias on Chise, or both ways) or both of them healing and becoming actual well-adjusted individuals. Or if the mangaka even sees the ways the former could be weird instead of romantic. I dunno. That's ignoring the whole bit where Elias is centuries old at least and Chise's sixteen--I'm waiting until the mangaka makes it clear that Elias fully understood what he meant when he said he wanted to marry Chise to make a judgment on that either way.

The western folklore poo poo is definitely my jam though. loving Titania and Oberon in a manga hell yeah

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
he's a horrifying skull monster

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Re: Ancient Magus Bride

Chise and Elias are both really hosed up individuals due to the circumstances of their pasts which I think is deliberate. I'm not so certain that the portrayal of their relationship so closely mirroring real world abusive relationships and the fictions/dangeorus mindsets that are so often associated with them (girl is the only one who can understand guy who everyone else thinks is dangerous and thinks she should get away from/guy is really nice and tender, he's just a little possessive and doesn't mean it when he hurts girl or keeps her from doing the things she wants) is intended though.

Their relationship being messed up definitely isn't being ignored, but on the other hand I can't tell yet whether it's heading to them entering a codependent relationship (whether that's Chise depending on Elias, Elias on Chise, or both ways) or both of them healing and becoming actual well-adjusted individuals. Or if the mangaka even sees the ways the former could be weird instead of romantic. I dunno. That's ignoring the whole bit where Elias is centuries old at least and Chise's sixteen--I'm waiting until the mangaka makes it clear that Elias fully understood what he meant when he said he wanted to marry Chise to make a judgment on that either way.

The western folklore poo poo is definitely my jam though. loving Titania and Oberon in a manga hell yeah

Yeah, the codependent/abusive relationship thing bothers me more than the age difference. I mean, I certainly don't like the age difference, but I can overlook it somewhat due to Elias not being a human and seemingly not really understanding what marriage/relationships entail.

Unfortunately, I would bet a small but significant amount of money (like $10 or $20) that this isn't going to end with them becoming well adjusted individuals and that the whole "girl who can understand guy everyone else thinks is dangerous" and "guy being possessive is just indicative of how much he loves her*" things are actually going to be played straight.

*This particular trope is played straight in a LOT of manga, including manga aimed at both boys and girls. If anything, it's probably more common in the latter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I heard about Goblin Slayer and then found out it was based on a light novel so I figured it would be bad and it is.

I really dig Goblin Slayer's design but apparently this is going to be the repeating pattern:

Newbie Adventurer Group: Let's go slay some goblins to start out!

*They gently caress up something; the guys are brutally killed and the girls are graphically raped into catatonia*

Goblin Slayer: Ah, you see, this world is retarded and thinks goblins are fodder because they're individually weak and kinda dumb. They're actually pretty dangerous for newbies but strong adventurers are too stuck up to take goblin slaying quests so newbies get fed to them. These particular newbies forgot to do <blah>. *butchers the poo poo out of the goblins*

Priestess: Kyaaa!! *is grossed out by all of the rape and death, follows the slayer anyway*

~repeat~

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Guys

Guys

New Shiori Experience chapter!!!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

I've been waiting for this so long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Wow this is great news.

I follow too many sporadically updated manga that I have to reread to catch up when a new chapter finally arrives.