Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is nostalgia literally the only aesthetic value out there? Even if they don't look like the originals, I think they're kinda pretty.

be careful, these guys are gonna brand you a heretic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Caitlin posted:

be careful, these guys are gonna brand you a heretic

:ironicat:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'd be happy to take the most functionally compact unit over a fancypants designjob. Function outweighs form if I have to choose between one or the other or a really bad balance.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Testing out a stream idea with my Easycap - gonna play some FDS Zelda. Feel free to drop in:

https://www.twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

I'd be happy to take the most functionally compact unit over a fancypants designjob. Function outweighs form if I have to choose between one or the other or a really bad balance.

For some reason this made me think of how amusing it would be if someone made a tiny Nintendo out of a PC Engine shell just for pure what-the-gently caress factor.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is nostalgia literally the only aesthetic value out there? Even if they don't look like the originals, I think they're kinda pretty.

I don't mind that they don't look like the originals, but I do mind that they don't even try to match the design aesthetic of the cartridges beyond using NES-grey plastic. You've got these swooping curved lines on the system and this blocky, textured piece of poo poo sticking out the top. They should have made some kind of blocky, chunkity-rear end design.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 22, 2016

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not at all, but you got to admit that it really is a big factor for the intended audience.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

For some reason this made me think of how amusing it would be if someone made a tiny Nintendo out of a PC Engine shell just for pure what-the-gently caress factor.

This would be pretty awesome.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 22, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Joe Man posted:

Can take pictures tomorrow, feel free to PM me if interested.
The JVC is probably out of my price range but the stack of CDs sounds interesting. Please do link the thread once it gets up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm holding on to my Sunset Overdrive koozie I got as a preorder bonus from Best Buy in the hopes that one day it'll be worth BIG BUX to 20-30 year olds about 20-30 years in the future.

That's why I have my Ultima 9 collector's edition. It's going to shoot up in price any day now.

Yep. Any day now.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Testing out a stream idea with my Easycap - gonna play some FDS Zelda. Feel free to drop in:

https://www.twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Took me 3 hours, including a phone break and a puppy break, but I got through the whole game. Only missed one bomb upgrade and the red ring, whilst dying twice (once because I was too lazy to wait for a bomb drop).

Done for now, but I'm liking the way the stream turned out. It's too bad the Genesis and Nintendo suffer from jailbarring on the EasyCap I'm using, but when I tried to use my Happauge, the quality was MUCH worse.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Joe Man posted:

I haven't followed this thread in a long time but any of you old cats interested in a mint condition, CIB JVC X'EYE? When I say CIB I mean even the plastic bags (I think), Prize Fighter/Compton's Encyclopedia/Karaoke Disc (+an extra for some reason, they doubled up by mistake on Compton's or Karaoke, don't remember), unused stickers, manuals, literally everything that came with it when new. Goddamn I loved this machine so much. I really, REALLY didn't want to sell my baby yet but I need to pay rent at the end of the month and have no other options that'll pay out in time. I could start an SA thread but this is such a niche item that I know one of you guys will actually appreciate it the most. Also have a CIB 32X I can sell with it. Also a ton of Sega CD discs in basic jewelcases (some with manuals) but all of my complete "large box" games were sold in bulk the last time I had to liquidate (on these very forums)! I have yet to price anything out again yet but throwing it out there now so you collectors can get a heads up (I like giving goons first dibs). Promise I won't spam the thread and just link later to an SA mart thread if it comes to it.

Can take pictures tomorrow, feel free to PM me if interested.

To followup on this, I carefully unwrapped everything and took some pics: http://imgur.com/a/zJHkg

Sidenote: I was misremembering the extra Karaoke disc; it's an extra manual for the Karaoke Disc. Don't want to split up the original X'EYE package for obvious reasons. I'll get back to the folks who PM'ed me and I'm still taking offers. Has to sell by the end of the month so if it's not going to a good goon home, I'll be forced to sell it elsewhere regardless.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The only time it made sense to spend $450 on an nes with HDMI out is when the only option for an RGB nes was $500+ because it required a sacrificial Playchoice 10 and the know-how of like four people on the planet who knew how to do the mod. I don't understand its allure today at all. Three years ago, sure.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I just watched the My Life in Gaming video where they show off their setups, and since moving in June, I've been fighting with what kind of furniture to buy to set up my consoles on, and I'm looking for inspiration. So, how do you have yours set up? How do you store your games and accessories?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God I forgot how much I can't stand soldering. Getting these batteries out is torture. Star Tropics was particularly arduous because the tips were bent over and I couldn't get the smaller one turned back up right so I could pull the battery out. Hopefully I'll just get better at it as I go as I have like 15 more SNES games to do. I feel like I should get a clamp, so that I can put the soldering iron on the backside and pull the battery at the same time on the other side.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This isn't super retrogames related, but I just got this thing and it's pretty cool. Reminds me a LOT of the cybiko.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RZA Encryption posted:

This isn't super retrogames related, but I just got this thing and it's pretty cool. Reminds me a LOT of the cybiko.

When is yours shipping? I know they've had some manufacturing trouble.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Nate RFB posted:

God I forgot how much I can't stand soldering. Getting these batteries out is torture. Star Tropics was particularly arduous because the tips were bent over and I couldn't get the smaller one turned back up right so I could pull the battery out. Hopefully I'll just get better at it as I go as I have like 15 more SNES games to do. I feel like I should get a clamp, so that I can put the soldering iron on the backside and pull the battery at the same time on the other side.

I've found that it's easier if you cut the tabs/solder blobs flush before desoldering them. Same goes for most through-hole components if you don't plan to use them later.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

When is yours shipping? I know they've had some manufacturing trouble.

I received mine today.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RZA Encryption posted:

I received mine today.

Oh, how does it feel? I ordered mine really late and haven't received it yet. How is it? I got it because I like the idea of a retro "fantasy console" that you can tinker with. Hopefully it doesn't rile the thread up too much talking about it :)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Lencho posted:

I'm the only one who think that these things look ugly as gently caress? It doesn't look like the original NES or Famicom, so nostalgia appeal is nil. Even Nintendo got that right with the NES mini.

no, it's hideous

e: and a ripoff

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Kins posted:

It'll be US$449 with a wireless controller packed in, limiting it to the kind of weirdo obsessives who... well... post in this thread, really. :v:

Pretty sure most people in this thread would rather just apply a HDMI mod to a NES, the price limits the Analogue systems to rich tryhards who don't know any better

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Didn't the Analogue damage people's carts? I know thats what the original review that was linked here was saying.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/JrpgJordan/status/767894696504864768

I ventured into my storage unit to retrieve the few pieces of my old game collection that I never sold off. Sold all my DS stuff but kept a few GBA games for whatever reason. The good news is most of that stuff is worth some money, even loose. The bad news is I looked at GBA games on eBay for the first time and what the hell these prices are shameful.

But man, I forgot how good games looks on the Micro.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cliff Racer posted:

Didn't the Analogue damage people's carts? I know thats what the original review that was linked here was saying.

It did. The cart slot was exceptionally tight and could gouge the PCB.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh, how does it feel? I ordered mine really late and haven't received it yet. How is it? I got it because I like the idea of a retro "fantasy console" that you can tinker with. Hopefully it doesn't rile the thread up too much talking about it :)

It's super neat, but in a portable computer kind of way, not like a game system. If you've ever owned or held a cybiko, it feels like what that would be if made today. For gaming/programming, if you liked warioware diy you'll love this.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Allen Wren posted:

I don't mind that they don't look like the originals, but I do mind that they don't even try to match the design aesthetic of the cartridges beyond using NES-grey plastic. You've got these swooping curved lines on the system and this blocky, textured piece of poo poo sticking out the top. They should have made some kind of blocky, chunkity-rear end design.

I agree, the huge cartridge sticking out of that thing just looks wrong. I wouldn't mind that look with something like a Famicom or SNES cart.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Anyone have thoughts on whether 1080p with the NT is worth $250 more than 780p with the AVS?

Probably not, but the NT might have some small advantages. For one, it depends on whether or not the Analogue supports integer scaling. 720p is a perfect 3x from the 240p of the original NES, but 1080p is 4.5x. If the new Analogue can run at 4x scale with black bars in 1080p that might be a reason to prefer it, if you care about things like that.

In general kevtris does really good work and you won't be disappointed with the quality, but $450 is still probably overpriced.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Monitor Burn posted:

I've found that it's easier if you cut the tabs/solder blobs flush before desoldering them. Same goes for most through-hole components if you don't plan to use them later.
After perusing a few youtube attempts it seems like most people just grab the battery with their fingers on one side and pull while desoldering the other. I don't think I'll touch it with my bare fingers but I could probably get a small screwdriver underneath to lever it out.

Also my brand new tip is already covered in ugly brown/black oxides :negative:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I got a bunch of stuff in the mail from Japan. A new Family Trainer mat (my first one started acting up, and I got all 10 games for it so :retrogames:). The Famicom lightgun had no troubles with customs, thankfully. A boxed copy of Mario Paint, and the only controller made specifically for Takahashi Meijin

it's just...so beautiful.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Mace Bacon posted:

and the only controller made specifically for Takahashi Meijin
Do you have a shooting watch to go with it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kashuno posted:

Has anyone been to those retro game conventions that go on in a few cities throughout the year? Are the prices at them generally decent?
I did well at the Long Island Retro Convention last weekend. A loose but well-maintained GB Donkey Kong ('94) for $10 was probably my best "mainstream" find. I had played it on the 3DS Virtual Console, but now I get to experience the pinnacle of Super Game Boy optimization.

Tetris 2 SNES $5, Next Tetris DC $5, Mortal Kombat Trilogy N64 $12, all loose. There were bins of GB/GBA carts (mostly licensed chaff) going 5 for $10. I got 3 bad Star Trek games and 2 bad WWF games out of that. A good round of low-profile finds, both amusing and genuinely good.

Oh and I had asked about this before, but I pulled off that Dreamcast trick where you force VGA on a non-VGA game. It ended up being very easy to do. Just start up a game in S-Video mode, and move the switch over to VGA at the right time during bootup. Really strange how easy it is, but it works! Two-player Next Tetris in VGA, a good time!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 23, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress, 25 years ago today is when the SNES was released in North America.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

univbee posted:

gently caress, 25 years ago today is when the SNES was released in North America.

I'm old as poo poo. :(

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't own anything to play this on (yet), but I had to have it :ussr:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 23, 2016

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I remember watching my friend Breck play his cassette of Dragon's Lair. Such a novel thing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

univbee posted:

Probably the best day in my / most peoples' childhoods.

Happy birthday, Best Console!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kramdar posted:

I remember watching my friend Breck play his cassette of Dragon's Lair. Such a novel thing.

[loving imgur is broken again and sending me in recaptcha loops, what a surprise]

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Code Jockey posted:

Probably the best day in my / most peoples' childhoods.

Happy birthday, Best Console!

unless you had parents who's reaction was "first they're gonna make a super nintendo, then a super duper nintendo, and then something else. what's wrong with the nintendo you already own?"

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 23, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

unless you had parents who's reaction was "first they're gonna make a super nintendo, then a super duper nintendo, and then something else. what's what with the nintendo you already own?"

I had a friend whose parents said something like this but also combined it with racist rants about how it's "gook mind control"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

univbee posted:

I was playing some 2 player Mario Kart yesterday (yeah on the SNES) and didn't even know! Guess I have to do it again tonight.

• Locked thread