Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of this gif will always be the outstretched hand that says "gently caress it" and gives up.

Someone with skills needs to change the hand to give a middle finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of this gif will always be the outstretched hand that says "gently caress it" and gives up.

Well, it is Harry Kim. There aren't enough "ehs" in the world for Ensign Kim.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the Voyagers was a few seconds ahead of the other - they started doing the pulses first. It was the same Voyager that could interact with the outside universe during the overlap. The implication was that the other was a duplicate, lagging behind slightly.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So, DS9 rewatch.

Someone launch Melora out an airlock.

Make sure you put a note in her personnel file saying she's insubordinate too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

One of the Voyagers was a few seconds ahead of the other - they started doing the pulses first. It was the same Voyager that could interact with the outside universe during the overlap. The implication was that the other was a duplicate, lagging behind slightly.

There was no implication of lag at all. Their sensors just picked up different readings upon leaving the nebula. The enemy ship saw the dual ships on their sensors when they approached.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Same loving thing, jesus. I hope someone steals your lungs and you have to be on a holographic respirator :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Same loving thing, jesus. I hope someone steals your lungs and you have to be on a holographic respirator :mad:

Haha, did I prompt everyone to start rewatching Voyager?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

GreenNight posted:

Someone with skills needs to change the hand to give a middle finger.

Or a Terminator 2 thumbs-up.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

McNally posted:

So, DS9 rewatch.

Someone launch Melora out an airlock.

Make sure you put a note in her personnel file saying she's insubordinate too.

"Melora" is a perfect example of why I don't recommend that newcomers skip any episodes of DS9. VOY, sure. TNG, maybe skip some eps. But even the shittiest episodes of DS9 have a scene or two that are cool and/or important that you would miss otherwise. "Melora" has that Klingon chef that serenades them at the table. :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's only in a couple episodes but is such a powerful character that everyone remembers him.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
From that Ron Moore interview, which was pre-Enterprise:

quote:

At one time, Moore considered the idea that he might be at Paramount to work on the next TREK television show, but things did not work out that way (see Part I). Now he is looking at TREK from the outside for the first time in many years. Moore says, "I’m not there, so I don’t know really what the situation is between Paramount and Rick and Brannon, or how far apart they are, or what the proposals are. What they shouldn’t be afraid to do, is to step away from all the STAR TREK that there is. A new series should not take place in the same time period as THE NEXT GENERATION. It should not revisit any of the current plot lines. It shouldn’t deal with the Klingons, and the Cardassians, or the Romulans and their current state. It should either go forward in the future, or back in the past.

"The STAR TREK past—it’s challenging; it sounds like it’s fun on one level, and I thought that was an interesting way to go for a long time. But it has a lot of pitfalls to it. You have a very complex future mapped out. If you are going to go into STAR TREK’s past, say, pre-Kirk, you better have an iron-clad commitment to maintaining the continuity that’s been established, or I think you are just going to lose everybody. Because if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don’t care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever. If you are going to go there, you really better be prepared to truly put on the STAR TREK mantle and be the keeper of the flame. I think that is really hard for Rick and Brannon. It’s hard for them to do that, because they don’t like the original show. Let’s not mince words. They don’t like the original show. They have never liked the original show. They’ll bob and weave a bit here and there in public. But they don’t like it; they don’t want to have anything to do with it. If you are going to go before the original series and do something, you better have a change of attitude. You better have an epiphany about how much you love the original series. It’s all going to be about leading up to that."

Yeah.

....yeah.

:smith:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I think I had read that interview long ago but after rewatching some of Voyager and Enterprise and the newest movies it makes so much sense. It's really depressing that they treated Fuller like poo poo and was a completely toxic work environment. He also called Nemesis being poo poo before it was released.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Chakotay and Janeway were all set to start banging at the end of season 2 but then they go back to the ship and have to ignore it, I wonder how Mulgrew felt when they had 7o9 hook up with him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Voyadouble episode is fairly milquetoast until the Vidiians get on Voyager and start OrganJacking people left and right, like some terrible BioBorg plague.

Like holy poo poo is that dark.

Moore's comments on the hollowness of the series especially ring true with the Tuvix episode and the one where the Doc has a cascading choice failure because he lets the one crewmember die instead of HKim. You literally have a sentient being begging for his life in one, and in the other you have a sentient being grappling with depression and the enormity of choice. Both wrap up just when the moral questions get too heavy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tuvix was actually more annoying than Neelix so I was quite happy to see him get beamed apart.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

So Chakotay and Janeway were all set to start banging at the end of season 2 but then they go back to the ship and have to ignore it, I wonder how Mulgrew felt when they had 7o9 hook up with him.

Well, Mulgrew apparently hated Ryan's presence from the start, so...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Well, Mulgrew apparently hated Ryan's presence from the start, so...

Now that you mention that I think I remember reading that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, I can kinda imagine being a bit pissed when they undermine the idea of the first woman leading captain by bringing in a younger, attractive character that gets all the good plots.

Kinda like I gather Takei had issue with Koenig in the second TOS season due to Chekov getting some of the parts intended for Sulu.

I hear the ENT crew pretty much all got along famously so at least one Trek series didn't have problems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mortanis posted:

Kinda like I gather Takei had issue with Koenig in the second TOS season due to Chekov getting some of the parts intended for Sulu.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 23, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mortanis posted:

I hear the ENT crew pretty much all got along famously so at least one Trek series didn't have problems.

All the more reason to feel like they were unfairly screwed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Enterprise's premise was fine, the problem was entirely on Captain Archer. It felt like they wanted him to be even more of a main character then the other captains when he was the most boring human in all of existence.

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
I am Whackula for Scott Bakula

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All the next gen crew got along as far as I've ever heard.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mortanis posted:

TNG was also a very close cast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Enterprise's premise was fine, the problem was entirely on Captain Archer. It felt like they wanted him to be even more of a main character then the other captains when he was the most boring human in all of existence.

Bakula is a comic guy and they had him be all frowny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

All the next gen crew got along as far as I've ever heard.

Post TNG they tended to treat Will Wheaton like the walking garbage he is.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Post TNG they tended to treat Will Wheaton like the walking garbage he is.

Can you expand on this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrJacobs posted:

Can you expand on this?

In the late 90's he'd pop up at conventions acting like a rock star and treated fans like poo poo. He'd probably have never acted again if not for the stupid bowling joke in the Big Bang Theory.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

In the late 90's he'd pop up at conventions acting like a rock star and treated fans like poo poo. He'd probably have never acted again if not for the stupid bowling joke in the Big Bang Theory.

Yet another reason Big Bang Theory may be one of the worst shows to ever get more than a season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mukaikubo posted:

From that Ron Moore interview, which was pre-Enterprise:

"At one time, Moore considered the idea that he might be at Paramount to work on the next TREK television show, but things did not work out that way (see Part I). Now he is looking at TREK from the outside for the first time in many years. Moore says, "I’m not there, so I don’t know really what the situation is between Paramount and Rick and Brannon, or how far apart they are, or what the proposals are. What they shouldn’t be afraid to do, is to step away from all the STAR TREK that there is. A new series should not take place in the same time period as THE NEXT GENERATION. It should not revisit any of the current plot lines. It shouldn’t deal with the Klingons, and the Cardassians, or the Romulans and their current state. It should either go forward in the future, or back in the past.

"The STAR TREK past—it’s challenging; it sounds like it’s fun on one level, and I thought that was an interesting way to go for a long time. But it has a lot of pitfalls to it. You have a very complex future mapped out. If you are going to go into STAR TREK’s past, say, pre-Kirk, you better have an iron-clad commitment to maintaining the continuity that’s been established, or I think you are just going to lose everybody. Because if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don’t care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever. If you are going to go there, you really better be prepared to truly put on the STAR TREK mantle and be the keeper of the flame. I think that is really hard for Rick and Brannon. It’s hard for them to do that, because they don’t like the original show. Let’s not mince words. They don’t like the original show. They have never liked the original show. They’ll bob and weave a bit here and there in public. But they don’t like it; they don’t want to have anything to do with it. If you are going to go before the original series and do something, you better have a change of attitude. You better have an epiphany about how much you love the original series. It’s all going to be about leading up to that.""

Yeah.

....yeah.

:smith:

Next time I bitch about prequels ruining canon and my reservations with Discovery, and someone wants to say I'm just being a nitpicky nerd, remember that Ron Moore agrees with me. :colbert:

Ron Moore posted:

if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don’t care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"Canon" is an albatross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

"Canon" is an albatross.

Can we shoot Will Wheaton out of it?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Timby posted:

"Canon" is an albatross.

If you think Moore is referring to "canon" at all in that quote you are severely misreading it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
hi hello has anyone made the joke "deep space 9/11" yet and if so i would like to see all related .jpgs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If you think Moore is referring to "canon" at all in that quote you are severely misreading it.

I wasn't referring to Moore's statement. But keep on Nefuding.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I saw DS9 S1E18 "Duet".

So this is the Star Trek I've been hearing so much about. I've gone through all of TNG and I won't even bother to remember the 4 seasons of Voyager I watched, but this episode seemed to finally live up to the reputation. I think Trek is best when the problems it's presenting do not involve adjusting deflector shields or weakening the warp field to ventilate the neutrino field, or the holodeck, but concepts like revenge and redemption.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I saw DS9 S1E18 "Duet".

So this is the Star Trek I've been hearing so much about. I've gone through all of TNG and I won't even bother to remember the 4 seasons of Voyager I watched, but this episode seemed to finally live up to the reputation. I think Trek is best when the problems it's presenting do not involve adjusting deflector shields or weakening the warp field to ventilate the neutrino field, or the holodeck, but concepts like revenge and redemption.

I'm not really a star trek fan but yeah this is a genuinely moving and soul crushing episode that really epitomizes the idea that good sci fi is ultimately about people sitting at a table talking through issues with the fictional safetynet.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

I saw DS9 S1E18 "Duet".

"Duet" is shockingly good, yeah, especially for a first season episode.

I love DS9 as it is, but that episode and a few others really makes me wish that we got a little more of Bajor coming to terms with the scars left by the occupation and a little less of the Prophets and Dominion war.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rhyno posted:

No, Belana says the antimatter was being pulled between them.

Was there ever a commentary on this episode?
Voyager never got any commentary even in its own Companion. The DS9 one was loving amazing, absolutely filled with interviews, behind the scenes info, even the writers and cast calling themselves out for sub-par episodes. The Voyager Companion, on the other hand, is pretty much just episode summaries with no insight or analysis of the show's production. Other than the book about the show's initial creation, that Ron Moore interview is the only meaty thing I've read about the backstage stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Payndz posted:

Voyager never got any commentary even in its own Companion. The DS9 one was loving amazing, absolutely filled with interviews, behind the scenes info, even the writers and cast calling themselves out for sub-par episodes. The Voyager Companion, on the other hand, is pretty much just episode summaries with no insight or analysis of the show's production. Other than the book about the show's initial creation, that Ron Moore interview is the only meaty thing I've read about the backstage stuff.
They got tons of sf debris commentaries video, that's more than some of those episodes deserved.