Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Narrator posted:

The undermining of the CFA's ability to

I thought the government loved mining

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

this isn't a dril tweet at all :confused:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Why is he saying "racism" when he literally said it was racist yesterday.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

snoremac posted:

Why is he saying "racism" when he literally said it was racist yesterday.

Because his fuckwits didn't agree with him.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Because his fuckwits didn't agree with him.

I wonder then if he's simply a sociopath or if he does a thousand backflips in his head to change his own mind. I've wondered that before actually. It's what makes him so interesting!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

snoremac posted:

I wonder then if he's simply a sociopath or if he does a thousand backflips in his head to change his own mind. I've wondered that before actually. It's what makes him so interesting!

You've read Robert Manne's side of the "Name 10 people from the Stolen Generation" argument?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You've read Robert Manne's side of the "Name 10 people from the Stolen Generation" argument?

Yeah, but I wouldn't underestimate Bolt's ability to be as intellectually dishonest as he was in refusing to accept Manne's list while convincing himself that he's right. He still refers to it as a legitimate triumph, which you'd think he wouldn't if he knew he had been stumped. Unless of course he has no respect for his audience's intelligence, which is possible.

I just think he's so adamant on the most ridiculous things that it suggests he's more than a typical shill. There's some psychology going on there. For example, he's posted the same easily disprovable climate change graph for years. You'd think a shill would at least change things up a bit to hide their deceit, but he pushes the same graph again and again. If you take him at face value, he's really deluded.

Edit: Okay, I went back and re-read this. Bolt is definitely a callous pile of poo poo.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 23, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What sort of fuckwit pronounces it negociate?

Turnbull, abbott and shorten all say it like that too.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Well it sure as hell isn't "Negoshiate" is it?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Les Affaires posted:

wow

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
neh-go-tee-ar-tay

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Les Affaires posted:

It contains a voiceless palato alveloar fricative, so yes it is.

Sorry I'm bored and studying for a phonetics exam.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Zenithe posted:

It contains a voiceless palato alveloar fricative, so yes it is.

Sorry I'm bored and studying for a phonetics exam.

sounds rivetting

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I say negochiate

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I loth you all

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
SBS comedy articles are usually bad but this one seems relevant.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2016/08/23/quantum-physicists-eager-hear-what-frank-pub-reckons-they-should-study

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Maybe researchers should start doing night classes in pubs?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe researchers should start doing night classes in pubs?
They do sometimes.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah. There's a few of them - see also Science in the Pub in Tassie (look, they're not literature grads).

The thing that irks me about the 'pub test' is that it drives a massive wedge, as QM alluded to. Comics like the kuldelka one - where they laugh Einstein off - is going to piss off your pub going crowd and make them ever so slightly more convinced academics are just snobbish arseholes.

There's plenty of project titles that'd garner a laugh or two, but when the reason why and processes for approval was explained no one would have an issue.

The whole thing just screams divide and conquer to me, and the numbers aren't on any research council's side.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

I just think he's so adamant on the most ridiculous things that it suggests he's more than a typical shill. There's some psychology going on there. For example, he's posted the same easily disprovable climate change graph for years. You'd think a shill would at least change things up a bit to hide their deceit, but he pushes the same graph again and again. If you take him at face value, he's really deluded.

Edit: Okay, I went back and re-read this. Bolt is definitely a callous pile of poo poo.

Yeah the Something Wonky boys have been Bolt watching for years and their considered opinion is poo poo also. He might be deluded as to how he is viewed (typical persecution complex) but his methods are simple dishonest shillery. He doesn't care about that graph or the argument, he cares that it gets out and into other people's heads to make it easier for him to make the next poo poo argument so that his side wins, whatever side he's decided on. As long as he's right, he doesn't care what reality is.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Regarding his persecution complex, I love how he implied that he was betrayed by the Jews because they didn't defend him in his court case (specifically in regards to a lawyer comparing his perception of race to Nazi eugenics). He also said something like "They know all I've done for them" - it was so strange.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He also stopped supporting Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts., the living soul because of the latter's anti-semitism.

Bolt's got some strange issues. He's an atheist or a very lapsed Christian but he still feels the need to make a full-throated defence any time the Church is attacked.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The story of Anthony Albanese being raised by his single mother, Maryanne, in public housing in Sydney's inner west is one he has told often in his political career.

"What I was told was that (my mother) travelled overseas, met my father, married him overseas, returned to Australia and that he died in a car accident," Mr Albanese told 7.30.

"That was what I was told, and from an early age, that was what I believed."

But when he was about 14 or 15 years old, his mother revealed that there was actually much more to the story.

"We sat down just after dinner one night and she — it was very traumatic for her, I think, to tell me that in fact that wasn't the case, that my father might still be alive, that she'd met him overseas, fallen pregnant with me, had told him and he had said, basically, that he was betrothed to someone from the town in Italy where he was from.

"I think that whole guilt associated with having a child out of wedlock in 1963 as a young Catholic woman was a big deal and, hence, the extent to which she had gone to in terms of adopting my father's name, she wore an engagement and a wedding ring, she — the whole family just believed this story."

Feeling a sense of obligation to his mother, Mr Albanese didn't follow up on details of his father until after his mother died in 2002.

"There was a particular time where we were visiting my mother's grave when [Albanese's son] Nathan was a little boy and he said, 'where's your Daddy?'"

"And at that moment, it hit me that ... I had a responsibility to him as well — he carried the name Albanese — and to find out more about my father.

"So it was very much a gradual need that became ... more and more a sense of urgency as it was clear to me as well that he would've been getting older and that I needed, I needed to know more about what had happened."

But how to go about finding a man separated by almost 50 years and half a world?

Albanese had one crucial piece of information.

"We had a photo from the ship (the Fairsky) where he worked as a steward, which is where he met my mother on the journey across from Sydney across to London," Mr Albanese said.

"I realised that the ship cruise line was essentially taken over by Sitmar, which had been taken over by P&O, which had been taken over by Carnival and I knew Ann Sherry, the head of Carnival Cruises, and asked her if there was any assistance that she could give."

Ms Sherry couldn't promise anything but said she would ask around.

"She talked to a maritime historian, this wonderful man, Rob Henderson, who is just fascinated by maritime history," Mr Albanese said.

Mr Henderson just happened to be going to a conference in Bari, in southern Italy, and said he would make inquiries.

"It really was a needle in a hay stack, [finding] the company that had since dissolved but was based in Genoa," Mr Albanese said.

"There was a box in an old warehouse — most of it had been destroyed — but the box actually had the workplace details and the address of my father ... and he was living at the same address many years later."

Mr Henderson told Ms Sherry of the find, who rang Mr Albanese.

"It's a moment I'll never forget," he said.

"I was in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Offices, I was about to chair a dinner of the Australian Transport Council.

"I got this phone call just as we were about to leave and she — it was very short conversation — she said 'we've found him', and it took my breath away because I didn't think that would happen."

Now, Mr Albanese faced the dilemma of how to approach the man he believed to be his father.

"I knew that I had to, even if it meant knocking on the door, I knew I had to pursue it then," he said.

"It was very much a physical need in my gut that I needed for that to happen."

Once again, Mr Albanese was able to pull some strings through contacts, this time at the Australian Embassy in Rome.

"As well as knowing Amanda Vanstone ... my second cousin happened to work at the embassy [and] was in charge of the international visits at the embassy," Mr Albanese said.

"So we wrote, essentially, a letter to the family saying that I would be visiting and that I was the son of Mary Ellery, the late Mary Ellery, her maiden name, and that I would like to meet Carlo."

Not knowing Carlo Albanese's circumstances or how he would be received, he didn't mention anything about being Carlo's son.

"A friend of what I now know as my brother was a lawyer and she made contact and said that she would be happy to meet with us," Mr Albanese said.

"I arrived in Bari and then travelled up to Barletta, that's very close, on the Saturday and we met."

"Then I told her the story. She immediately responded very positively. I made it clear that I didn't want anything except to meet Carlo, who I thought was my father, that I wasn't there to ask for money or inheritance or anything else, I just wanted to meet him."

The lawyer arranged for a meeting the very next day.

Mr Albanese went to her office and waited until there was a call confirming that Carlo would be there in an hour.

"I went and had a good scotch at a local bar ... it was almost overwhelming and then I went on a walk by myself.

Then Carlo Albanese arrived.

"It was extraordinary.

"The bell rung ... and the door opened, he walked in and opened his arms to me and we embraced.

"It was quite — it was incredibly generous of him, I think, and it was a very poignant moment.

"He immediately said that, yes, he knew my mother and understood the circumstances.

"So, given that he ... he married the woman, as his wife, as he had told my mother he would, and had been with her ever since, it was remarkable, I think, the generosity with which he responded."

Carlo also brought along his son and daughter.

"All of a sudden, with the exception of my son Nathan, the three closest blood relatives to me, in the world, who I'd never met before were standing in this room and we sat down and conversed for about an hour and a half.

"It's hard to put into words ... how I felt. It was just completely overwhelming.

"I felt a connection to them and I felt like a gap had been filled, the fact that there was no doubt either or no questioning was a great sense of relief."

Mr Albanese showed the photo his mother had kept of Carlo attending Maryanne and her companions aboard the ship decades earlier.

"The photo that we had used to identify him, he had a copy of that photo all those years later as well."

Over the following years, Mr Albanese and his Australian family made regular visits to Italy discovering the family they never knew existed.

But Carlo was ill.

During one of the most tumultuous periods in Australian political history — the lead up to the 2013 election — the now Deputy Prime Minister was campaigning hard but he had one eye on Italy.

"He had cancer and was very sick during the 2013 election campaign," Mr Albanese said.

"Kevin Rudd knew that at any time I might depart for — to farewell him, which I needed to do. I needed to have closure.

"He died in January of 2014 and I was very pleased that I was able to have that final engagement with him. He was lucid and he told me — the last conversation we had was that he was glad that we had found each other."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-23/anthony-albanese-search-finds-father-he-thought-was-dead/7776918

:smith:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bolt's got some strange issues. He's an atheist or a very lapsed Christian but he still feels the need to make a full-throated defence any time the Church is attacked.

Oh that's easy, he's a toady. Doesn't matter what the authority is, he'll suck up to it. It's very lapsed church schoolboy behaviour, but also remarkably Australian. We like to pretend we're anti-authoritarian but we're hierarchical as gently caress and always anxiously looking up the ladder. People like Bolt exemplify that mindset.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

backburner is always good, idiot

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The only time Bolt seems like he truly believes what he's saying is when he writes about 18C, in which case he seethes with genuine rage

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I'm sure it's significant to him but I couldn't give a poo poo who politician's parents are. I care about their actions.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I always though the Victorian Court of Appeal described Bolt best:

quote:

Mr Bolt’s conduct in the circumstances was, at worst, dishonest and misleading and, at best, grossly careless. It reflects upon him as a journalist

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

starkebn posted:

I'm sure it's significant to him but I couldn't give a poo poo who politician's parents are. I care about their actions.

I think I cared about it as much as I would hearing the story about anyone else. It was pretty poignant.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I don't give a gently caress about anything! Not a loving thing!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey its a cool story you soulless first dog munching ghouls

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
oh right sorry yeah that guy has such a loving big heart what a big softy

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
now if only the political party this same politician came from cared about human rights then we'd be just peachy

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And yet he's fine with torturing immigrants. Some people huh.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

gently caress the ALP with a spike

But Albos Parent Quest story is a decent read.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think I cared about it as much as I would hearing the story about anyone else. It was pretty poignant.

Yeah but albanese voted for the indefinite detention of the most vulnerable people on earth as well as making it illegal for people to speak out against it. gently caress him, he is an active player in ruining other families.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah, he's a shithead. I just separate the touching story from the person involved. :shrug:

e:Like nothing about that story made him seem like a great person. The most it did was make him more human. Which he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A parliamentary delegation from Denmark will visit the Pacific island of Nauru and gain rare access to Australia’s offshore detention centre to consider whether such controversial immigration policies could be adopted in Europe.

In the next week cross-party group of Danish politicians will visit Australia and Nauru and are seeking access to inspect the detention centre, according to reports by Danish radio station 24syv.

The visit to Nauru was confirmed to the Guardian in a statement from Danish MP Johanne Schmidt-Nielson, who said her party was “highly critical” of Australia’s immigration policies, and would use the visit to closely scrutinise the policy. It has been planned for more than six months by the parliamentary delegation, with six of the 29 member parliamentary committee attending.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/23/danish-politicians-seek-to-visit-nauru-site-at-heart-of-offshore-detention-outcry

• Locked thread