Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So wouldn't the disaster of this Chittagong invasion have gotten some Japanese general shot IRL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

So wouldn't the disaster of this Chittagong invasion have gotten some Japanese general shot IRL?

The staging HQ just wouldn't tell anybody about it until some paper pusher accidentally found documents relating to it in the archives in 1944.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well. things ALMOST got very expensive there.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Believe it or not, the real life invasion of India was an even bigger clusterfuck. lack of supplies, preparation, anti tank guns, bad leadership, all contributed to a good majority of the invasion force dying of sickness or starvation.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Grey is overachieving. Get into character, Grey, the Japanese are supposed to be non-stop disasters!
Where's Midway? And you're doing well in China!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's not losing enough warships so he has to burn some manpower points to keep things interesting.

The drama bomb is always effective.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The enemy bombers go after our ground forces – causing no real damage.

Chittagong has stalemated for now.

A blink and you'll miss it day – the enemy only put a few planes out, and they did nothing interesting.

Of course, we still lose some ships. And that Dutch sub seems optimistic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, the Submarine CLEARLY went underwater

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sub vs Sub – shame it doesn't come to anything.

We start to see bombers hitting ground targets here as well.

Another empty base is dealt with.

Another small advance today.

Damaged ships continue to sink.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

22 points!

Can't be many seaplane tenders around. What was it doing in an invasion force? :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Luganville's on a tiny island somewhere in the South Pacific. It was probably tending scout seaplanes until it got B17'd

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I originally wanted to do a better post with fancy pictures and everything for this, but got caught at work late, so this will have to do:

A friend of mine is on the crew running a submersible dive on the wreck of the U.S.S Independence, starting at 7 pm ET (4 pm Pacific Time, or basically now.)

You can find the stream here: http://nautiluslive.org/

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Log082 posted:

I originally wanted to do a better post with fancy pictures and everything for this, but got caught at work late, so this will have to do:

A friend of mine is on the crew running a submersible dive on the wreck of the U.S.S Independence, starting at 7 pm ET (4 pm Pacific Time, or basically now.)

You can find the stream here: http://nautiluslive.org/

Thanks for this, it's really cool. They just made contact with the wreck.

EDIT:

They even found a Hellcat they weren't sure was there when the ship was scuttled.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 23, 2016

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Jaramin posted:

Thanks for this, it's really cool. They just made contact with the wreck.

My friend used to play Eve. I'm not saying anyone SHOULD sneak a goonfleet reference into a question to gently caress with him, but...

Actual non-stupid-joke edit: It's pretty cool how they're referencing the atomic bomb damage photos to what they're seeing from the submersible. I can barely tell what I'm looking at, but they seem to know pretty well.

Log082 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 23, 2016

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Ooooh, there's a Hellcat in a hole in an aircraft carrier at the bottom of the sea o/~

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Jaramin posted:

EDIT:

They even found a Hellcat they weren't sure was there when the ship was scuttled.

The weird thing is that they were expecting to find a HellDIVER, not a Hellcat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We begin unloading more support and supplies at Akyab. We of course get bombed.

Not much happened today, but the massed Allied bombing has caused several of their planes to crash.

I have decided to abandon Midway for Fiji. This will mean some replanning, but I can use the time to get a few more units in place. This may well be a harder fight, but its worth a lot more points.
The Butai's will conduct a raid to see what forces they have there.

The slow strangulation continues.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So how many points of merchant marine does Japan start with, roughly speaking?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'll let you know when I've lost them all!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Did the Japanese put any effort into expanding their merchant navy before 1941 to actually be able to use all the resources and territory they planned on grabbing ? Or did the leadership consider those ugly floating boxes a waste of shipyards that should be building sleek weapons of war ?

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I forgot all about this restarting this (last) year! Just did a lot of catching up.
Since my lucky ship (The I-168, destroyer of the Yorktown) from last time was already claimed, can I take its infinitely unluckier sister ship, the SS I-73 (The first Japanese warship sunk by a US sub)?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

I have decided to abandon Midway for Fiji. This will mean some replanning, but I can use the time to get a few more units in place. This may well be a harder fight, but its worth a lot more points.
The Butai's will conduct a raid to see what forces they have there.

Please tell me this last second change of plans means your forces will go in piecemeal and unable to support each other.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Please tell me this last second change of plans means your forces will go in piecemeal and unable to support each other.

As no one has even begun to board for Midway, no, no it won't.

Sorry.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

CeeJee posted:

Did the Japanese put any effort into expanding their merchant navy before 1941 to actually be able to use all the resources and territory they planned on grabbing ? Or did the leadership consider those ugly floating boxes a waste of shipyards that should be building sleek weapons of war ?

I think in our hearts we all know the answer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CeeJee posted:

...sleek?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What are you talking about? Just look at that floating pagoda.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CeeJee posted:

Short answer: No.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Yamashiro makes a cameo appearance in The Wind Rises.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm reminded of the Alternate History book "MacArthur's War."

In the book, Japan won Midway by sinking all US carriers present at the battle, but the subsequent invasion was foiled through sheer luck. Then a few months later, there's a Battle of the Solomon Islands in which all remaining US carriers and the Japanese carriers mutually sink each other. Then the US admiral who was in command gets called to Washington, where Roosevelt basically tells him "good job."

"...Good job? I got all our carriers sunk."
"Yeah, but you also sunk all of theirs. With our production capability we can replace our ships in a matter of months, but the Japanese ships once sunk are completely out of the picture. So, good job."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The ships quit Akyab for safety reasons.

An attempt to shift us from Chittagong is made, but this is a stalemate battlefield for now.

The Allies sure do love sending their tankers into dangerous situations.

Ships are moving and planning has been re tasked. But its the Butai's that will play for the next few days. They need to raid the area and figure out what we could be up against in an invasion. I know lots of level bombers, but what else?

No tankers. A shame.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If you're trying to take Fiji, Grey, you'll need to take Guadalcanal and maybe Noumea. They are right in the way of keeping and holding Fiji, especially Noumea if the AI is basing bombers out of it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mikl posted:

I'm reminded of the Alternate History book "MacArthur's War."

In the book, Japan won Midway by sinking all US carriers present at the battle, but the subsequent invasion was foiled through sheer luck. Then a few months later, there's a Battle of the Solomon Islands in which all remaining US carriers and the Japanese carriers mutually sink each other. Then the US admiral who was in command gets called to Washington, where Roosevelt basically tells him "good job."

"...Good job? I got all our carriers sunk."
"Yeah, but you also sunk all of theirs. With our production capability we can replace our ships in a matter of months, but the Japanese ships once sunk are completely out of the picture. So, good job."

Legitimate.

RZApublican posted:

If you're trying to take Fiji, Grey, you'll need to take Guadalcanal and maybe Noumea. They are right in the way of keeping and holding Fiji, especially Noumea if the AI is basing bombers out of it.

Shhh! You'll spoil the surprise.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We start the day with a kill.

Wait, enemy planes, in CHINA?

There are enemy ships at Guadalcanal.

We make moves to correct this error.

We also hit those tankers again.

Keep on piling on those bombs boys!

These are all large AP ships – good targets!

A good day for the carriers!

Well, it will be as kills are confirmed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Losing bombers to biplanes. Tut tut.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

Losing bombers to biplanes. Tut tut.

Germans lost a battleship to biplanes. :v:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Cythereal posted:

Hell the Italians lost have their fleet to those biplanes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

"I know, we'll build a massive, overweight battleship that destroys its own radar when it fires its guns and then send it COMMERCE RAIDING! Genius!"

The Germans were not very good at war.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

savior, of the universe

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Night10194 posted:

"I know, we'll build a massive, overweight battleship that destroys its own radar when it fires its guns and then send it COMMERCE RAIDING! Genius!"

The Germans were not very good at war.

Overweight? Not really, the Bismarck was actually a bit smaller than the Iowa-class battleships that the US put in the water.

I think the real failing of the Bismarck was that she was massive battleship, designed and put into the water by a power that really no interest producing the naval compliment to allow her to function in a similar fashion to her British counterparts. If you build a fleet ship, you kind of need of a fleet to go along with her - which is problematic since the German fleet suffered during the Invasion of Norway. Bismarck and the equally silly Tirpitz were designed and put into the water without any idea of how they were going to be functionally used in the face of a massively stronger British navy and naval airpower.

You can talk a lot of poo poo about Donitz and Raeder, but Hitler was asking them to do the impossible with only submarines and an incredibly limited surface fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bismarck, while only displacing roughly 2000 tons less than Iowa, was also almost 70 feet shorter. That tonnage-to-length difference is actually fairly massive, not some minor difference. Iowa also used 4 propellers and, well, Bismarck really probably could have used a fourth as well.