Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
It would be awesome if the passenger missions paid more if you had a nicer ship.
LIke a python would be normal pay, but a beluga or orca would give double.
Completing in under 50% of the time frame could give extra-extra and something like that.

Heavily doubt any of this will be available when it goes live, but one can hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Huh, I wonder if ship transfers could be abused? Load up the cargo on one ship then the other , fly out to (place), transfer second ship there, sell from both (or more) cargos?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Thronde posted:

Huh, I wonder if ship transfers could be abused? Load up the cargo on one ship then the other , fly out to (place), transfer second ship there, sell from both (or more) cargos?

Currently you can't switch ships if you have cargo of any kind in them. I'm going to guess this will remain true as cargo doesn't mean modules.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

KakerMix posted:

Currently you can't switch ships if you have cargo of any kind in them. I'm going to guess this will remain true as cargo doesn't mean modules.
You actually can now, but the ship you're switching to has to have enough cargo space to hold whatever is in your current ship. So no filling your Cutter and then switching to an Asp.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It would be awesome if the passenger missions paid more if you had a nicer ship.

They sorta have that with only the Orca and Beluga being able to equip luxury cabins. No idea what's actually different about the different cabin classes though.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Completing in under 50% of the time frame could give extra-extra and something like that.

Heavily doubt any of this will be available when it goes live, but one can hope.

Yes, Crazy Space Taxi please.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Chomp8645 posted:

How does one try their hand at exploring? I haven't done it at all yet but I've got enough credits saved up to outfit something for it. Do I just pick a direction and start flying? Do I need to bring anything other than a ship with good jump range, a scanner, and a fuel scoop?

What's the deal?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFfliddsnf5------02---3e0n0243v62i2f.AwRj4z2HWI==.MwBjIJgRnWPUNTCA?bn=Asplorer

This was my bog standard explorer ship before Engineers. You could swap around a couple of things like no cargo rack or better thrusters for planetary landings. Now a days you could probably get 50LY jump range out of that thing.

If you can't think of anywhere to actually 'go' a nebula sightseeing mission is always fun. The last time I went exploring I went to the Dumbbell Nebula > Veil Nebula West. Very pretty stuff.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just a reminder that the Orca makes an airline fasten seatbelts noise when you boost :allears:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Have they said anything about what ships will be able to have fighter bays except the ones i read of:
cutter, corvette, anaconda, gunship, keelback and now the beluga?

The large ones are prety clear, but gunship and keelback are mediums i think.
So the restriction is not "large only". Its also not "internal size X" since the keelback has 5 as largest and for example the FDL has a 5 too.
Not that you would give up shields for a fighter bay, but still.

So what im saying is, will any medium hull ship be able to have a bay or do they hardcode which chassis arbitrarily can have one or not?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Orca is so much fun to fly I can't wait for it to be useful. Also I wonder why they haven't mentioned the Dolphin (or whatever they're calling the entry level transport) there's one in one of the videos they posted.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Have they said anything about what ships will be able to have fighter bays except the ones i read of:
cutter, corvette, anaconda, gunship, keelback and now the beluga?

The large ones are prety clear, but gunship and keelback are mediums i think.
So the restriction is not "large only". Its also not "internal size X" since the keelback has 5 as largest and for example the FDL has a 5 too.
Not that you would give up shields for a fighter bay, but still.

So what im saying is, will any medium hull ship be able to have a bay or do they hardcode which chassis arbitrarily can have one or not?

They were talking about 7 ships being able to carry fighter bays, I think. So you're missing one. But I have no idea which one of the other ships is the missing one, sadly. :shrug:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFfliddsnf5------02---3e0n0243v62i2f.AwRj4z2HWI==.MwBjIJgRnWPUNTCA?bn=Asplorer

This was my bog standard explorer ship before Engineers. You could swap around a couple of things like no cargo rack or better thrusters for planetary landings. Now a days you could probably get 50LY jump range out of that thing.

If you can't think of anywhere to actually 'go' a nebula sightseeing mission is always fun. The last time I went exploring I went to the Dumbbell Nebula > Veil Nebula West. Very pretty stuff.

I drove my standard multirole Asp 10kly out and then back on my last trip. I could have pimped it for jump range++, but seeing as half my reason for flying out there is to scan systems I'd be looking at less of them if I could jump further on each hop. I mean, I didn't go nuts and limit myself to 7ly jumps or anything - I wanted to actually get to a destination before I died of old age. This would be different if I wanted to get somewhere and only do stuff when I arrived, of course.

For my first long trip out I Googled for where we think black holes are IRL and searched for their names in the galaxy map. One was about 8kly away so I took a quick jaunt off the beaten track and then headed for it.
If I could teleport myself back to the bubble I'd go to Sag A* and further, but I like to play with friends every now and again and that's tough to do if I'm 800 jumps away.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

They were talking about 7 ships being able to carry fighter bays, I think. So you're missing one. But I have no idea which one of the other ships is the missing one, sadly. :shrug:

Hm, that would mean hardcoded.
Sucks, i would have liked it to be more available really. Dont see why a python shouldnt have a fighter, or a type 9.
Maybe the 7th is the type 9?
Orca maybe.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The ship has to be specifically capable of it, but its not entirely arbitrary. You can actually see the fighter bay(s) located on the underside of ships with the capability. If a ship doesn't have a place for a fighter to be pooped out from, then no fighters for that ship.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Orca is so much fun to fly I can't wait for it to be useful. Also I wonder why they haven't mentioned the Dolphin (or whatever they're calling the entry level transport) there's one in one of the videos they posted.

They were asked about the Dolphin and said it was just a developer thing and that they would not be commenting on its release, other than it would not be part of the next update.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'd assume fighter bay availability isn't just about a ship's raw square footage; a ship has to have a hull design that lends itself to fitting the launch tube. Some big ships just aren't laid out properly.

Gonna be missing that fighter capability in my mining Python though :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What do you mean there's no fighter bay in my Vulture? :bahgawd:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
You can take your space ships seriously, and you can take them SERIOUSLY.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You can take your space ships seriously, and you can take them SERIOUSLY.

wiki drama is the saddest drama

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

This reminds me of the time where I found a glaring error in the German Wikipedia page for Chrono Cross and just added an offhand-remark to correct this.

One day later not only had my addition be erased, some crazy guy had chosen this one moment to suddenly rewrite that entire part of the article, adding what was missing and expanding it into a completely new sub-chapter.

It was the weirdest case of passive-aggressiveness I'd ever witnessed up to that point

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thronde posted:

You can't store cargo. If you try to store your ship while it has cargo in it, the cargo is transferred to the ship you switch to. If the ship you're trying to switch to can't hold the cargo currently in your hold, then gently caress you, you're not allowed to switch to it.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Quick update on the engineering guide: I added a section on mining because you have to mine 500 tons of garbage to unlock a particular engineer. I'll be adding more stuff as time goes. Here's the link again in case you need it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
If you're rigging a freighter to deliver a wall of mines, is it better to go with purely large mine launchers, or to throw a couple of shock mines into the mix? Theoretically it seems like the addition of shock mines would do a better job of tripping up enemies, but usually when poo poo goes down I'm thinking about survival and not doing a clinical test of their effectiveness. Goon consensus?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Trustworthy posted:

If you're rigging a freighter to deliver a wall of mines, is it better to go with purely large mine launchers, or to throw a couple of shock mines into the mix? Theoretically it seems like the addition of shock mines would do a better job of tripping up enemies, but usually when poo poo goes down I'm thinking about survival and not doing a clinical test of their effectiveness. Goon consensus?

I was running a python with two regular mines and two shocks and noticed that whatever I was bombing would be blown off course and usually ended up in front of me. Either it was just an astounding amount of bad luck or just the way I had my mine shooters laid out, but that's generally not a good thing when you're trying to bomb something behind you. Personally, I've had better results from just running all regular mines but, these days anyway, I'm also not rolling in something that can't tank damage long enough to bomb them to death or boost out of range and jump out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

If you're using mines you generally want people to fly straight and predictably so they hit mines. Shock mines tend to knock them away from the rest of your mines, so mixing the two types works terribly.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

I rigged my freighter to have 5 empty hardpoints cause i cant "defend" against anything since engineers hit anyways so i might as well save weight for jump range.

If youre going for mines however, get either

quote:

Ion Disruptor - Experimental munitions capable of disrupting a target's drives, causing them to reboot.

or

quote:

Radiant Canister - Experimental munitions that apply significant heat to all targets caught in the blast radius. In addition, targets sensors are temporarily disrupted, at the cost of ammo capacity

mods on the launchers, or a mix.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I rigged my freighter to have 5 empty hardpoints cause i cant "defend" against anything since engineers hit anyways so i might as well save weight for jump range.

or

Oooh, I'm such a combat-disinterested player that I completely forgot about mine mods. Gonna go roll the dice with Qwent or whoever tonight.

Definitely ditching the shock mines in favor of bigger normal mine launchers, though. Thanks all for the advice.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Oooh, I'm such a combat-disinterested player that I completely forgot about mine mods. Gonna go roll the dice with Qwent or whoever tonight.

Definitely ditching the shock mines in favor of bigger normal mine launchers, though. Thanks all for the advice.

please keep in mind you can buy any experimental mod for just 2 ranks with the engineer.
I dont know if i had gone more insane by trying to roll corrosive on the T5 overcharged multicannon mod or 4 times the regeneration mod on the beamlasers.
But by simply buying them i now have a gun that shoots blue which goes well with my green lasers.

e: just to clarify, 3xT1 = rank 2, 12 more T1 = rank 3, get mod you want (lightweight) and buy experimental which kicks you back to rank 1. Basically means 15 single T1 rolls gives you rank3 which is the lowest you can call in favours i think.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Except the great Silent Hill Wiki circumcision meltdown of 2015 that was magical.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trustworthy posted:

I'm agreeing with the consensus: anything that messes with their tendency to fly straight at you should be avoided since that just reduces the effectiveness of your minelaying — this goes for the mines themselves and for any upgrades you may wish to put on them.

Going beyond that, I'd even venture to say that most mine upgrades are of slightly questionable value if you're using them on a hauler. The biggest limitation to kill stuff quickly tends to be the reload between salvos rather than rate of fire (and even ammo capacity if you're being chased by something particularly nasty). As it happens, many of the engineer upgrades have a tendency to negatively effect those two to a pretty horrific degree.

Lightweight mounts are fairly inoffensive, though, and helps with the whole freight thing too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

or

Unless you plan on using mines in PvP, neither of those enhancements are a good idea - they're pointless and counterproductive against the AI. All disabling drives and sensors is going to do is make it more difficult for the AI to fly into your mines - fine if you intend to turn around and blow them up with conventional weapons, but unless you're in a combat ship, "fly straight, drop mines" is both easier and more effective.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Unless you plan on using mines in PvP, neither of those enhancements are a good idea - they're pointless and counterproductive against the AI. All disabling drives and sensors is going to do is make it more difficult for the AI to fly into your mines - fine if you intend to turn around and blow them up with conventional weapons, but unless you're in a combat ship, "fly straight, drop mines" is both easier and more effective.

This is exactly the plan. Flying straight, dropping mines.
If those mines disable drives and cause him to lose target (me), i dont see how it hurts my attempts to get away?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Except the great Silent Hill Wiki circumcision meltdown of 2015 that was magical.
You're a true connoisseur. :v:

This article has a couple of things about fighters that I didn't see mentioned in the thread: fighters have two equipment slots (one weapon, one utility) so you can customise loadout to some extent and also a pilot's pay is reduced if they reached their current combat rank while in your employ. So if you hire a Mostly Harmless guy, he'll take a bigger cut of your earnings than if you hire a Harmless guy and let him kill the 4 sidewinders he needs to get promoted. I imagine the differences are pretty negligible but it's a nice touch.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I am unironically stoked to play pokemon/xcom with my NPC crew members. I could spend hours sicking a squad of condors on hapless pirates in lowres.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The ship transfer thing is interesting.

I like that it's going to be instant.

I would also be okay with it taking 4-8 hours. I could order my ship then go to bed or work.

10 minutes? I hour? gently caress that. That's time when I could be playing Elite* but now can't (or can't play doing the activity I want to be doing) because I'm waiting for my ship to arrive.

As anyone who's ever played one game whilst waiting for the servers of another game to patch or come online can tell you, no matter how much you love the alternate game, it's not as much fun as it usually is because it's not what you want to be doing at that moment.

*Cue joke about how much stick time Frog Command actually gets.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

The guide is written with a clueless idiot in mind. It's based primarily on my own experiences in getting max rank with everyone. It is factually correct as of this time. I am constantly updating it, adding poo poo that I come across that might be useful Give it a read and let me know if it helps.

If someone wants to help me convert it into a forum post I'd be down for that too.

Thank you very much for this. I've been trying to tackle engineers and feel a bit lost. I was going to just grab my un-modded Asp and head to Sag A, but now I'm going to read your guide and see what's worth upgrading.

Also, my two cents on instantaneous ship transfer is that more fun is a good thing. Two hours of Video Game Time (tm) in a night means that the fun to time ratio should be maximized. I like my immersion too, but someone up the thread said handwave it away with the idea that you really booked that ship transfer last week. The only caveat, I think, is put a timer on transfers between the current bubble and Jacques / A new bubble.

I like the vast feeling of the E:D galaxy and don't want to see EVE-style cyno across the galaxy in minutes thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If those mines disable drives and cause him to lose target (me), i dont see how it hurts my attempts to get away?

If your plan is to get away, it's far easier to not drop mines at all and just fly off. You deploy the mine launchers, it's because you want to abuse the poor NPC's AI and get some free cash out of their constant interruptions. Or just to stop them from interrupting, in the case of a mission NPC.

In fact, if all you ever want to do is get away, skip the mines and save some weight, then go for an ENG-focused distributor and good thrusters (dirty tune entirely optional, but definitely fun). Boost, boost, off you go.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So after the announcement of the Space Passengers and Space Fighters stuff, I think I'm going to get back into Elite Dangerous for a bit. Is the Op up to date? I haven't played since way back during the early releases, where there weren't many ships and the best thing to do was make cargo scoops kiss.

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz
Got my 1070 so I'm finally able to play this on the rift. Wow, its absolutely insane. A little tough to use the galaxy map though, has anyone else made your joystick be able to go through the map? It seems very difficult to use in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The point of mines against the AI is to destroy your pursuer - they don't slow down or try to dodge at all, they just plow into mine after mine until they're dead. If you don't care about that and just want to mess with their pursuit, use shock mines - or, even better, just don't bother with them at all, since messing about with mines just delays your escape. It's really not worth doing the engineer grind for if you just want to keep NPCs off your butt.

• Locked thread