Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Larry Lieber continues to draw that strip as if it's still the mid-late 90s and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I too look for privacy by using custom plates and putting a giant label of my name on the building I'm relaxing.

Hank Pym is the worst kind of attention whore, we've known this for years.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Who the gently caress is the writer for Living Ghost? That's close to some Fletcher Hanks poo poo there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe it's a long term "oh, you want power, Living Ghost? Here's ALL OF IT!" strategy, making the LG stronger and stronger until he finally explodes or something.

Like pumping too much air into a balloon!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Who the gently caress is the writer for Living Ghost? That's close to some Fletcher Hanks poo poo there.

Acclaimed genre writer Frank Belknap Long who also wrote a lot of fiction under pseudonyms and as uncredited work. He was one of the old pulp masters and apparently hung out with Lovecraft. Not that you'd know that from the comics, like many comic books of the time, both writer and artist do not receive bylines or other credits in the book itself.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kwyndig posted:

Acclaimed genre writer Frank Belknap Long who also wrote a lot of fiction under pseudonyms and as uncredited work. He was one of the old pulp masters and apparently hung out with Lovecraft. Not that you'd know that from the comics, like many comic books of the time, both writer and artist do not receive bylines or other credits in the book itself.

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Long is an amazing author, to find out he wrote something this awesomely batshit is just...wow.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Can we just rename this the Living Ghost Owns thread? I want more Living Ghost.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We need to find out who holds the rights so we can organise the crossover event of the millennium: Living Ghost vs Stardust.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
If Pym were so smart, he'd:

A.) Live a little more incognito
B.) Be able to explain how Hank is a nickname for Henry

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

Could Green Lantern also explain how Harold turns into Hal?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

That's actually fairly common. The less common bit is where Henry becomes Hal for some reason.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Red posted:

Everyone in the Newspaper-Spideyverse is incredibly stupid anyway so it all pretty much balances out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

prefect posted:

What?

I thought Hal was short for... Hallington or something.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gnome de plume posted:

Everyone in the Newspaper-Spideyverse is incredibly stupid anyway so it all pretty much balances out.

Iron Jonah was a great arc with believable character motivations, shame on you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

What?

I thought Hal was short for... Hallington or something.

Apparently it's a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal#People

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Margaret becoming Peggy still makes no sense to me.

Or John becoming Jack.

But here's some explanations!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

We need to find out who holds the rights so we can organise the crossover event of the millennium: Living Ghost vs Stardust.

The comic it was in was published in 48 and the collection was printed by Dark Horse. Whether or not this means they have the rights to the comic or just the specific printing of it, I have no idea.

Anyway, there should be two more Living Ghost stories in the collection. I'll have a look at it later and see if they are any good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wade Wilson posted:

That's actually fairly common. The less common bit is where Henry becomes Hal for some reason.

Good enough for Shakespeare, good enough for spacey punch-man stories.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
On the subject of Ant-man comic antics, just saw this in Astonishing Antman #8.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

Whirlwind is a goon?

Also, Luke Cage really likes the name Power Man, even though he never uses it:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe it's a long term "oh, you want power, Living Ghost? Here's ALL OF IT!" strategy, making the LG stronger and stronger until he finally explodes or something.

Or he's trying to make Living Ghost so big and powerful that the likes of Tony and his girlfriend are beneath him. Screw humanity, save the girl.

mind the walrus posted:

No matter how batshit insane you think comics are you can count on the Golden Age to beat it.

There should definitely be a Golden Age Challenge Month or something at Marvel or DC where writers are given some ridiculously small amount of time to think of a plot and script for an issue. Bonus if it's not for a character they're currently assigned to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

There should definitely be a Golden Age Challenge Month or something at Marvel or DC where writers are given some ridiculously small amount of time to think of a plot and script for an issue. Bonus if it's not for a character they're currently assigned to.

They also have to work from a finished cover they had no input on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

They also have to work from a finished cover they had no input on.

Yes! Having to fill in the gaps or explain someone else's zany premise would definitely lead to better results.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Yes! Having to fill in the gaps or explain someone else's zany premise would definitely lead to better results.

It still cracks me up that the entire DC multiverse basically exists because Infantino thought that explaining how there could be two Flashes at once would be an interesting challenge for the writer (can't remember if it was Fox, Kanigher or Broome, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the three).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wade Wilson posted:

I love how he swipes right so fast he makes a tiny little tornado.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Avulsion posted:

I'd post Astro City #1/2 "The Nearness of You" but I'd have to post the entire issue and everyone's probably already seen it and it really belongs in the Touching and Inspiring thread and it's free on comixology so go read it there.

It's not, though. Unless I'm missing something.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Plastik posted:

It's not, though. Unless I'm missing something.

https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-1996-2000/digital-comic/46309?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It still cracks me up that the entire DC multiverse basically exists because Infantino thought that explaining how there could be two Flashes at once would be an interesting challenge for the writer (can't remember if it was Fox, Kanigher or Broome, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the three).
It was Gardner Fox.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I love that so much of the action in the Living Ghost comes down to "okay they're really big and beat the poo poo out of each other". Like later on magic stuff comes into play but the climactic showdown starts off like it could be two really strong guys in Scooby-Doo monster costumes.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Wade Wilson posted:

I, too, can spin at subsonic speeds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unfortunate news, turns out that the next two issues do not have any more Living Ghost stories.

Edit:

Goodbye

Final image, Tony's dumb plan from the first issue.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 23, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

muscles like this? posted:

Unfortunate news, turns out that the next two issues do not have any more Living Ghost stories.

Edit:

Goodbye

I was really hoping there'd be some twist ending where it turned out the living ghost was just Superman trying to teach Louis not to practice necromancy or something similarly stupid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh yeah, that first panel? The Living Ghost just straight up wrote that on a goddamn wall for absolutely no reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh yeah, that first panel? The Living Ghost just straight up wrote that on a goddamn wall for absolutely no reason.

I bet the graffiti and vandalism is what drove the jury to give him the chair.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Living Ghost reminds me of a murderous Muscle Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Living Ghost is loving awesome, that's why.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If my name was The Living Ghost I'd make drat sure as many people knew about it as possible, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Living Ghost should have been behind the latest DC reboot.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Discendo Vox posted:

The Living Ghost should have been behind the latest DC reboot.

He would have been far more fun than Doomsday in BvS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Edit:

Goodbye

I'm choosing to believe he's shrieking because the mud is colder than he thought