Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ManMythLegend posted:

lol those guys are bitches. I've done nothing but small boys, including the "smallest" ones. They're not floating nightmares unless they're in poor shape just like any other ship.

Unless you consider not having access to Starbucks coffee, ice cream, and Direct TV everyday unlivable conditions.

Uh I'm a reservist so yes.... yes I do.

But seriously the actual issue is harassment in tight quarters. Nobody deserves that no matter what your history. But hey, Navy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Null Integer posted:

You told your daughter boat stories? By god man...

The crazy poo poo. Like the 52 degree down angle, the guy that blew his head off, the guy that tore his thumb off with a co2 fire extinguisher, ect.

Also she will be 18 this year :psyduck:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ded posted:

The crazy poo poo. Like the 52 degree down angle, the guy that blew his head off, the guy that tore his thumb off with a co2 fire extinguisher, ect.

Also she will be 18 this year :psyduck:

One of these things is not like the others

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk I always thought the pros of small boys outweighed the bad in comparison to an LHD or carrier but what do I know

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I enjoyed my time on both destroyers. One was all male. One was mixed. Both were great.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I enjoyed my time on both destroyers. One was all male. One was mixed. Both were great.

I'm willing to bet the command climate makes the biggest difference, beyond type or class or hull or community or anything else. Not that I'm saying anything profound that nobody's noticed before.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hogmartin posted:

I'm willing to bet the command climate makes the biggest difference, beyond type or class or hull or community or anything else. Not that I'm saying anything profound that nobody's noticed before.

True, though I've never seen a great command climate on an amphib.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is the weather in DC ever pleasant?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Speaking of Gator Navy, here's a good article on LHA 6, the well deck less amphib https://news.usni.org/2016/08/17/21198_underway_uss_america

Currently at the airport waiting to fly to South Carolina for the Navy IA Combat Training thing. Couldn't think of a better time to be in SC than August.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Speaking of Gator Navy, here's a good article on LHA 6, the well deck less amphib https://news.usni.org/2016/08/17/21198_underway_uss_america

Currently at the airport waiting to fly to South Carolina for the Navy IA Combat Training thing. Couldn't think of a better time to be in SC than August.

Really should just designate the things as LPH.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Really should just designate the things as LPH.

Yeah but, we live in a post-fact based world where words have no meaning.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Spring and fall

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

LingcodKilla posted:

You live in DC? I'm moving up there next weekend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hogmartin posted:

Command climate seems to be more negative when there's two O-6s at the top than when there's two O-5s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

You live in DC? I'm moving up there next weekend.

I'm actually in Dam Neck for 4 months and just visiting DC on weekends because I'm old and I like museums.

Always up for a lunch or such with other goons.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

True, though I've never seen a great command climate on an amphib.

My first skipper and ward room/chiefs mess on the New Orleans was great, but that was commissioning crew and they were all tired of the bullshit.

It quickly went to poo poo after the CO left.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Thronde posted:

My first skipper and ward room/chiefs mess on the New Orleans was great, but that was commissioning crew and they were all tired of the bullshit.

It quickly went to poo poo after the CO left.

Man, I remember riding along as a staff puke on New Orleans while she was doing a SOUTHPAC friendship tour several years ago. All the wardroom JOs gave off a distinct life-hating vibe the entire time.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I posted over on the resource mega-thread, but I was wondering if someone here might be able to help. I'm working on my motivational statement for an OCS application, but I wasn't sure how long it should be. The guys over on AirWarriors tend to say 400 words, but I noticed there is a poo poo ton of room on the APSR and some practice statements fill the whole page. My recruiter also mentioned to show as much experience as possible. Is there a recommended length, or should I just write till I feel satisfied and/or run out of room?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I posted over on the resource mega-thread, but I was wondering if someone here might be able to help. I'm working on my motivational statement for an OCS application, but I wasn't sure how long it should be. The guys over on AirWarriors tend to say 400 words, but I noticed there is a poo poo ton of room on the APSR and some practice statements fill the whole page. My recruiter also mentioned to show as much experience as possible. Is there a recommended length, or should I just write till I feel satisfied and/or run out of room?

I'll preface this with I Am Not A Recruiter, but I wouldn't worry about length. There are other parts of your application that detail your work and leadership experience; the personal statement is your chance to show aspects that aren't captured elsewhere. My advice would be to write something heartfelt, direct, and well-written. My personal statement was fairly simple and boiled down to "I think I'm pretty capable, and I think I would be a good asset to the Navy, please give me the chance to prove it." Some combination of that and my ASTB score seems to have worked, because it sure as poo poo wasn't an impressive college transcript.

I've only poked around on Airwarriors occasionally, but it seems like a very lopsided sample, and I would take anything they say with a large grain of salt. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about OCS or NFO.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'll preface this with I Am Not A Recruiter, but I wouldn't worry about length. There are other parts of your application that detail your work and leadership experience; the personal statement is your chance to show aspects that aren't captured elsewhere. My advice would be to write something heartfelt, direct, and well-written. My personal statement was fairly simple and boiled down to "I think I'm pretty capable, and I think I would be a good asset to the Navy, please give me the chance to prove it." Some combination of that and my ASTB score seems to have worked, because it sure as poo poo wasn't an impressive college transcript.

I've only poked around on Airwarriors occasionally, but it seems like a very lopsided sample, and I would take anything they say with a large grain of salt. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about OCS or NFO.

Agreed. Another piece of advice for those types of statements in general, OCS app or otherwise, is to use it as an opportunity to address what might be perceived as a weakness in your application. Otherwise, 3 pages of bullshit is 3 pages of bullshit and it's pretty glaringly obvious it's bullshit. I've not spent much time on AirWarriors, seems like a lot of dudes taking themselves a little too seriously. On the other hand, I think I know a few guys who post there who I know to be solid dudes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

All nobles must hang.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's good to know! I've shot you a PM as well, I appreciate the offer!

vulturesrow posted:

Agreed. Another piece of advice for those types of statements in general, OCS app or otherwise, is to use it as an opportunity to address what might be perceived as a weakness in your application. Otherwise, 3 pages of bullshit is 3 pages of bullshit and it's pretty glaringly obvious it's bullshit. I've not spent much time on AirWarriors, seems like a lot of dudes taking themselves a little too seriously. On the other hand, I think I know a few guys who post there who I know to be solid dudes.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid relying on one source, sadly I don't have much actual experience with the military, so I've had some difficulties in diving which resources to use and those to look at with a skeptical eye. With statements especially I've spent my entire professional career in academia and business, which tends to look at things differently.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dont join the military unless you really have a patriotic hard-on. Even as an O.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Dont join the military unless you really have a patriotic hard-on. Even as an O.

Do it for the hats. You get more as an O.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Null Integer posted:

What is this TF2?

Also NWU Type IIIs for everyone. The uniform carousel continues. Cue carnival music.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Howard Phillips posted:

What is this TF2?

Also NWU Type IIIs for everyone. The uniform carousel continues. Cue carnival music.

Why do you think there was a large spike in manning in 2008, the same year as the Hat update in TF2. The signs are all there!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Null Integer posted:

Null Integer posted:

Why do you think there was a large spike in manning in 2008, the same year as the Hat update in TF2. The signs are all there!

Are snazzy bicorns still an option if you hit level, er I mean O-8?

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I've wanted to join since I was pretty young, I actually wanted to enlist out of high school, but a combination of family and just not having my poo poo together at 18 gave me pause. Now I'm out of school and I thought things out I want this, even after hearing some of my friends who were in the service give me the great list of reasons not to do it, I still want to do it.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid relying on one source, sadly I don't have much actual experience with the military, so I've had some difficulties in diving which resources to use and those to look at with a skeptical eye. With statements especially I've spent my entire professional career in academia and business, which tends to look at things differently.

I'll add to the above advice: if your writing background is in academia and business, you can likely give yourself a leg up by finding and emulating good examples of military-style writing. Conciseness and directness tend to be emphasized more than for most other writing applications, and the people reading your statement will likely be conditioned to expect that, and will judge accordingly, even if they don't do so consciously.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Octopode posted:

I'll add to the above advice: if your writing background is in academia and business, you can likely give yourself a leg up by finding and emulating good examples of military-style writing. Conciseness and directness tend to be emphasized more than for most other writing applications, and the people reading your statement will likely be conditioned to expect that, and will judge accordingly, even if they don't do so consciously.

Good to know, I found some samples here, and I've been searching around for others. In general I've been trying to be as succinct as possible.

Also just got a call from my recruiter, I've got MEPS next week, after that then I can take my ASTB!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Are snazzy bicorns still an option if you hit level, er I mean O-8?

I've wanted to join since I was pretty young, I actually wanted to enlist out of high school, but a combination of family and just not having my poo poo together at 18 gave me pause. Now I'm out of school and I thought things out I want this, even after hearing some of my friends who were in the service give me the great list of reasons not to do it, I still want to do it.

Just go undesignated enlisted. Save you a lot of time writing stuff.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

And you get to work with your hands and not be hassled with dumb school crap.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Good to know, I found some samples here, and I've been searching around for others. In general I've been trying to be as succinct as possible.

Also just got a call from my recruiter, I've got MEPS next week, after that then I can take my ASTB!
Take note of your level of enthusiasm for the military today, before you are in the poo poo. Re-evaluate in 4 years and report back.

Godspeed.

LingcodKilla posted:

Plus you get to see all the jobs in action and pick the one you like

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Nah, being a Navy O is cool, especially aviation. Being a SWO seems to suck, which is a shame because driving a gigantic loving ship is pretty cool. However from my outsider perspective I've seen some small signs of changes for the better in the SWO community so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Something I said in my PM that's worth repeating to anyone else talking to an OCS recruiter:

One thing to try for with your recruiter, if at all possible, is to get your TS/SCI clearance investigation started as soon as possible. My recruiter was awesome and got mine started while I was waiting to go to OCS; this paid off once I got to flight school and was the only one who had it complete. Everyone else had to work through the very lengthy paperwork process while dealing with all the other flight school admin poo poo, so it's a headache that's really nice to avoid.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Jimmy4400nav posted:

even after hearing some of my friends who were in the service give me the great list of reasons not to do it, I still want to do it.

Please put this on your application.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

poopkitty posted:

Please put this on your application.

Does not listen to great advice when given. Application denied.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

However from my outsider perspective I've seen some small signs of changes for the better in the SWO community so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

Hell will freeze over twice before this.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Go join the Air Force

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Just understand that what you sign isn't a true guarantee you'll make it to flight school. Aviation is very medically restrictive, and there might be something wrong with your body that they frown upon - even if it doesn't effect your day to day life in any way. The real medical screening will happen while you're actually at OCS, and you may be disqualified from flying but still obligated to serve as an officer in another designator. (You can quit, but the discharge you receive is an eyebrow-raiser when applying for government jobs. It's not bad, just something that'll raise questions)

Having finally hit The Fleet, Airwarriors seems kind of weird because there are butterbars and O-3s on that forum that seem jussst fine with random candidates calling them "sir".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Red Crown posted:

Just understand that what you sign isn't a true guarantee you'll make it to flight school. Aviation is very medically restrictive, and there might be something wrong with your body that they frown upon - even if it doesn't effect your day to day life in any way. The real medical screening will happen while you're actually at OCS, and you may be disqualified from flying but still obligated to serve as an officer in another designator. (You can quit, but the discharge you receive is an eyebrow-raiser when applying for government jobs. It's not bad, just something that'll raise questions)

Having finally hit The Fleet, Airwarriors seems kind of weird because there are butterbars and O-3s on that forum that seem jussst fine with random candidates calling them "sir".

Definitely, while aviation is my first choice, I heard about a lot of people getting DQ'd at OCS and NAMI. I don't think I have anything that'd medically DQ me, but I understand between that and needs of the Navy I could end up somewhere else or just booted.

• Locked thread