Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-74-3/

Link the update to which you're reacting. It's just the courteous thing to do.

And I concur, Jesus loving LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Same facial expression on every panel. That makes it funnier.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm hoping this is a couple of strips to show Brad in a good mediator light then moving on, because if this comic tries to tackle that with the grace it has tackled other stuff, no good's gonna come of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt think a comic could make me feel this lovely but here we are :toot:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was really hoping the disturbance would be a fight between the catperson and dogperson, or maybe a giant spider person accidentally trying to eat a communal hive mind of bees. No such luck.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cat Mattress posted:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-74-3/

Link the update to which you're reacting. It's just the courteous thing to do.

And I concur, Jesus loving LOL.

The last few updates have been reasonable, surely this can't be that ba-:catstare:

Well, objectivist dude was ultimately used to prove a point. If this gets used to build up Brad... well, it'll still be lovely, but less so.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 23, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I was really hoping the disturbance would be a fight between the catperson and dogperson, or maybe a giant spider person accidentally trying to eat a communal hive mind of bees. No such luck.

I was hoping it would be that one heckler from when Allison was on stage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don't even know what the gently caress. This really seems like mansplaining how gender is a social construct or is it a objectivist view of gender or what the fuckkkkkkkk.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This is an interesting premise but I find the delivery deeply unsatisfying. Normally I'm a big fan of the art but today, hoo boy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well this is definitely going places :pervert:

e: I mean, in concept I think it's an interesting idea if it were handled with a little subtlety and nuance rather than RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES LAW ALLOWS MANS TO GO INTO TINY GIRLS BATHROOMS AND TOUCH YOUR CHILDRANS

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 23, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It's a really interesting ball to pick up, but holy poo poo did they drop it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think this is supposed to be showing the kind of unique challenges Brad's group has to deal with, but this is really, really not the right way to go about it. It's just plucking way too raw a nerve.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm reminded of the problem that happens a lot with the X-Men as an analogy for discrimination, where it's so abstract and so many things are different that it just doesn't work (this comes to mind).

This goes in the opposite direction, to the point where it's not even a metaphor anymore. Shapeshifting aside, it's literally just a trans person being yelled at by someone who doesn't accept their identity and demands to know their "birth" gender. Which is a thing that happens, and putting it in a fantasy context like this is actually pretty lovely because it implies that no part of this situation could happen in real life. And I'm sure there's a way to execute this idea that avoids that problem, but this isn't it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Carrasco posted:

I'm reminded of the problem that happens a lot with the X-Men as an analogy for discrimination, where it's so abstract and so many things are different that it just doesn't work (this comes to mind).

This goes in the opposite direction, to the point where it's not even a metaphor anymore. Shapeshifting aside, it's literally just a trans person being yelled at by someone who doesn't accept their identity and demands to know their "birth" gender. Which is a thing that happens, and putting it in a fantasy context like this is actually pretty lovely because it implies that no part of this situation could happen in real life. And I'm sure there's a way to execute this idea that avoids that problem, but this isn't it.

But then it gets weird because this person is apparently a dude and a lady. "I was a woman, now I'm a dude five minutes later what of it?"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a case of gender fluidity associated with shapeshifting. Apparently in this character's case, the change in shape is induced by a change in identity.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When xie's threatened (whatever the popularly accepted pronoun is) xie turns into a bro, when chill xie is a chick :shrug:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Flesh Forge posted:

When xie's threatened (whatever the popularly accepted pronoun is) xie turns into a bro, when chill xie is a chick :shrug:

Yeah, the character concept is fine, and the idea of navigating the social what-the-gently caress of that situation is also fine, but, didn't stick the landing. Too ham-handed and the art is too, uh... exaggerated? Caricaturing the emotions of the people on the page? The flying sweat drops and the welling tears under the yes combining with the identical fixed facial expressions makes it feel like a political cartoon someone would draw to make fun of these people.

Situations like these furrow my brow. When you're standing face to face with a living refutation of the gender binary, it's a little counterproductive to double-down and reassert the gender binary so you can ensure you're only with people who fall on the right side of an imaginary line.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 24, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, from a narrative perspective, it's obvious that we're not supposed to think that Teresa's demand to know the shapeshifter's birth gender is justified here; if nothing else, Brad told her off for it, and Brad has been consistently represented as a voice of reason in the comic. She's freaking out and behaving poorly as a result. The problem is that the way the issue is framed makes it seem almost farcical, and what is attempting to be addressed here is a serious problem that is confronting actual human beings right now. Even theoretically progressive women do sometimes try to deny access to transwomen to "female-only" spaces; it's not just about bathrooms, it's about creating tiers of femaleness. Like, "it's okay to consider you a woman as long as I can still have a space to hang out with only REAL women". Seeing that conflict represented as farce is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

I am absolutely certain that neither of the creators intended this reading, incidentally, but that doesn't always make it easier to take if you're one of the people who feels hurt by it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Yeah, the use of science fiction mutant/alien examples to deal with gender identity/trans issues isn't...really a great way to handle or explore them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

I am absolutely certain that neither of the creators intended this reading

You could probably etch this into the comic's tombstone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yeah, the character concept is fine, and the idea of navigating the social what-the-gently caress of that situation is also fine, but, didn't stick the landing. Too ham-handed and the art is too, uh... exaggerated? Caricaturing the emotions of the people on the page? The flying sweat drops and the welling tears under the yes combining with the identical fixed facial expressions makes it feel like a political cartoon someone would draw to make fun of these people.

Situations like these furrow my brow. When you're standing face to face with a living refutation of the gender binary, it's a little counterproductive to double-down and reassert the gender binary so you can ensure you're only with people who fall on the right side of an imaginary line.

Yeah the dumb anime visual tropes are really grating and make the whole situation even more ridiculous than the writing already does. An embarrassing page.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, the use of science fiction mutant/alien examples to deal with gender identity/trans issues isn't...really a great way to handle or explore them.

I wouldn't say that exactly if it's done well it can be really good such as Left hand of Darkness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't say that exactly if it's done well it can be really good such as Left hand of Darkness.

You're right, this just...really isn't it. Even the dumbest of bigoted people would recognize this sort of sci fi plot device character doesn't fit their normal gender approach.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a recurring theme :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alison shouldnt be the author's stand-in, it should be a mutant with hamhocks for hands.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I will say that I personally would have no loving clue how to navigate this particular cluster-gently caress and I'm kind of hoping the next panel is just Alison pivoting on her heel and walking firmly away with a "nope" expression on her face. That would be a pretty solid punchline to a very awkward page.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I will say that I personally would have no loving clue how to navigate this particular cluster-gently caress and I'm kind of hoping the next panel is just Alison pivoting on her heel and walking firmly away with a "nope" expression on her face. That would be a pretty solid punchline to a very awkward page.

I thought Alison becomes a super-villain was the go to answer these days.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah the dumb anime visual tropes are really grating and make the whole situation even more ridiculous than the writing already does. An embarrassing page.

This comic is many things, but it is not anime, as clearly evidenced by the fact that it is not good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lizard Wizard posted:

This comic is many things, but it is not anime, as clearly evidenced by the fact that it is not blood.

Mmh, yes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

This comic is many things, but it is not anime, as clearly evidenced by the fact that it is not good.

I don't mean how the art is done in general, I mean specifically how the "I'm crying!!" emotion was drawn on Crying Man-Girl page :shrug:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This has been a real mixed bag of a chapter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All thats left is to set it on fire and leave it on someone's doorstep

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey look everyone! A distraction!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

hm. "Brad resolves the situation with no involvement from Alison" isn't bad; kind of emphasizes how superfluous Alison is in a setting like this.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

hm. "Brad resolves the situation with no involvement from Alison" isn't bad; kind of emphasizes how superfluous Alison is in a setting like this.

Not to mention how much better at it he is than her at just the sort of thing she's trying to do, seeing as they're both trying to set up organisations to help the disadvantaged. And Brad has already done it, for people who have nowhere else to go, and is managing it very well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
While Brad is right I think in this specific situation, assuming this is still as close an analogue to our world as it appears sans superheroes, there is in fact previous knowledge to draw from. That is unless transgender/sexual people don't exist in the world of SFP in which case this is virgin soil ripe for the tilling. Now how to help a person who can shapeshift between both sexes on command, that will need some careful analysis but dealing with Horn girl's apprehensions isn't something I would think to be unknown.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know, I was wondering why nearly all the dynamorphs are anthropomorphic animals, until it hit me that they're probably still cameo-ing backers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know, I was wondering why nearly all the dynamorphs are anthropomorphic animals, until it hit me that they're probably still cameo-ing backers.

:lol:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SlothfulCobra posted:

yiffe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

:iceburn:

e: I think Brad's "solution" was disappointing and it's unfortunate that the character is not allowed to say "Hey Teresa, what you're saying is exactly the same as the hard right republican confederate flag waver types say about the quote unquote bathroom law that was so embarrassingly lovely for the entire country, maybe you need to get the gently caress out of here and go rethink your attitude on someone who is literally transgendered and how they fit into your safe space concept"

instead

SynthOrange posted:

Hey look everyone! A distraction!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 26, 2016

• Locked thread