Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

c0ldfuse posted:

From Facebook, someone I only know through internet posted about doing yard work but this house... I... I don't know what to say...

Currently getting her address so I can take some screen caps on google maps and check out the interior from the listing as well as how much they paid.

Any bets its got a Stablock panel?

If I were to hazard a guess, the original door was much larger and when they replaced it for whatever reason, just framed up a third of the rough opening instead of centering the new smaller (presumably cheaper) door.

I'm also assuming the top windows are double hung, and just weren't closed and latched correctly

Roundup the weeds on the pathway, pressure wash the mossy growth on the siding, extend the mulch flowerbed to the other side, add some hedges, knock out the front door and cut back the siding, and buy a door that fits the original rough opening (presuming it shouldn't be too hard to locate) and that would honestly be a nice house with two weekends of effort and very little money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is that even moss? It looks like grass splatter from a weedeater. Hose it off.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Cakefool posted:

A Juliet balcony should have no depth and doors that opened inwards.

The condos near me have Juliet balconies with sliding glass doors. It feels like such a waste.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Think of a Juliet balcony as a huge window you an open easily for some fresh air.

The desirability of this feature depends on where you live.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

off center chat: I'm currently helping build this thing and I suspect I'm witnessing how some of the houses that tumblr dude rags on came to be.

There used to be a deck there, with a big triple sliding door thing to access it. The original plan was to frame out slightly wider than that sliding door, then remove it + the same-width window above it and demo the wall, to basically give them a new sunroom or dining room or whatever, and roof it with a normal-sized overhang. It wouldn't be centered on that wall of the house but that was fine.

Then the guy's wife decided we should extend the roof on the right to the width of the house.

Then she decided it needed to be that wide on the other side, as well.

Now we've got a room off center from the roof it's under. Ok, it MIGHT be difficult to notice and tolerable, especially with that side facing nothing but woods. Not to worry, the guy is planning to put in an octagonal window in the attic right under the peak which will make it eye-bleedingly obvious that poo poo is out of whack :barf:. Additionally, the kind of siding the house has on it isn't stocked anywhere locally, so he decided to get different, horizontal siding instead. I can't imagine it's going to look great, though it's structurally sound.

At least the windows match!

Bonus :barf: : The beam on the far left was one inch longer than the beam on the far right, so he (having failed to notice this before we had it all standing) hacked an inch off with a sawzall and it looks like a beaver gnawed it to length rather than risk... what, somebody measuring them someday?

As the guy I'm working for says - can't see it from my house, whatever!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That looks like it's on it's way to being one of those asymmetrical houses that were big in the 70's.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bet that's fun in the summer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In florida that would probably be an inherent fire hazard just from the solar heat buildup.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Enourmo posted:

In florida that would probably be an inherent fire hazard just from the solar heat buildup.

Nah, just get low-E insulated glass! It'd only be $30k for that room. Maybe.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bet that's fun in the summer.

Fun in the winter, too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Fun in the winter, too.

Also if you get hail, or heavy rain. It's basically terrible all the time!

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry
I hired an electrician to install a new panel to replace our old knob and tube fuse box and put it all behind a big GFCI/AFCI breaker. He was saws-alling away some of the shiplap, but started having trouble on the third board. He didn't let that deter him though! So he kept at it, until he'd sawn completely through one and a half of the three main 2x10 load bearing beams holding up the middle of the house.

Had my structural engineer Dad look at it, "Good thing the wall below that beam has studs in it. They weren't load bearing before, but they are now."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

funkatron3000 posted:

he'd sawn completely through one and a half of the three main 2x10 load bearing beams holding up the middle of the house.

That sounds expensive.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Does anyone have a link to that renovation of a 1 bedroom house where they kept finding more horrors and and had to rip out multiple walls and the floor? I can't remember any specific terms to find it with a search. I need closure dammit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stormangel posted:

Does anyone have a link to that renovation of a 1 bedroom house where they kept finding more horrors and and had to rip out multiple walls and the floor? I can't remember any specific terms to find it with a search. I need closure dammit.

The Olivebridge Cottage? No updates yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

funkatron3000 posted:

I hired an electrician to install a new panel to replace our old knob and tube fuse box and put it all behind a big GFCI/AFCI breaker. He was saws-alling away some of the shiplap, but started having trouble on the third board. He didn't let that deter him though! So he kept at it, until he'd sawn completely through one and a half of the three main 2x10 load bearing beams holding up the middle of the house.

Had my structural engineer Dad look at it, "Good thing the wall below that beam has studs in it. They weren't load bearing before, but they are now."

Uhh, I'm guessing the electrician says welp, gently caress you? And now you gotta cough up the coin to get it fixed?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Let me just say, gently caress folding walls, over engineered pieces of complete poo poo. I need to fix the lock on one section because the locking pins on top and bottom that go into the tracks don't come out equally. That should be a simple adjustment, right? Well, when I finally got ahold of the manufacturer, they sent me their technician's manual. How do you make such a simple adjustment?

Take down an entire 8 foot tall door section full of plate glass.

You see, all this is necessary because some loving engineer with more vision than sense decided to hide all of the parts inside the frame where they can't be accessed, because an access panel would ruin the sleek finish. I can see why the manufacturer repeatedly tried to point me to an installer: they made a design abortion that takes a small crew just to turn a rod a few twists.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Uhh, I'm guessing the electrician says welp, gently caress you? And now you gotta cough up the coin to get it fixed?

The only real "fix" is just to slap another 2x10* over top of it, but that won't add much strength. Replacing the beam that's there would likely cause more damage than what we'd fix. Basically it just sucks and there's not much to do about it.

*and it's a 90 year old, full dimension, old growth pine 2x10. So, that'll be fun to match up with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

funkatron3000 posted:

The only real "fix" is just to slap another 2x10* over top of it, but that won't add much strength. Replacing the beam that's there would likely cause more damage than what we'd fix. Basically it just sucks and there's not much to do about it.

It won't add much strength unless it's glued and bolted properly.

funkatron3000 posted:

*and it's a 90 year old, full dimension, old growth pine 2x10. So, that'll be fun to match up with.

You're not going to find it at Home Depot, but it's not hard to find. Steel is also a reasonable solution in situations like this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Have you considered adding a load-bearing electrician?

The effect is more karmic than structural, but it has merits.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Yes, thank you.

Platystemon posted:

No updates yet.

gently caress!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Actually there are new photos and a fictional "newspaper" article he wrote:

http://manhattan-nest.com/tag/olivebridge-cottage/

Favorite photo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not to be that guy but drat I would sue or something. You hosed up my house by sawing through half the beams you fuckin pay me.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Not to be that guy but drat I would sue or something. You hosed up my house by sawing through half the beams you fuckin pay me.

I can hardly type this becuase it makes me so angry: owners decided again, guy who writes blog met original owners, wife of original owner was sad they were destroying the space where all the cute little chippies lived after he told them what he found.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

I would have murdered them on the spot, but then again I'm not Gandhi like this dude.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Trigger warning: windows

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

c0ldfuse posted:

I can hardly type this becuase it makes me so angry: owners decided again, guy who writes blog met original owners, wife of original owner was sad they were destroying the space where all the cute little chippies lived after he told them what he found.

I meant about the electrician sawing through the beams but yeah there really needs to be dwelling consumer protection.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

peanut posted:

Looks like a tiny prison.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but that house behind it is even more hosed up

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, it's like the town jail of Smallville, so it only needs room for a half-dozen felons.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

peanut posted:

Is that a counterclockwise loss.jpg?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

Yeah but that house behind it is even more hosed up
I appreciate this joke.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

funkatron3000 posted:

I'm guessing you moved, then. Where do you go to find a 90 year old house in gsbo that's not a craftsman slanty shanty?

I hope you fed that electrician to the cat.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

funkatron3000 posted:

Wouldn't the real fix be to sue the electrician and have his insurance pay to actually fix it?

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

dobbymoodge posted:

I'm guessing you moved, then. Where do you go to find a 90 year old house in gsbo that's not a craftsman slanty shanty?

I hope you fed that electrician to the cat.

Yep! You have to stalk zillow for a year and a half and then put in an offer the day a nice house actually comes on the market. Got a federal revival built by a plumbing contractor in 1926 (He did the plumbing for a big building at UNCG and did the O Henry Hotel). It has a working 90 year old tankless flush valve toilet. :aaa: Most everything is original in the house, needs a lot of catch up maintenance.

Gounads posted:

Wouldn't the real fix be to sue the electrician and have his insurance pay to actually fix it?

Despite the screw up I actually want him to do some future work on the house. I've worked with the guy on commercial projects, he'll make it right. Right now going down the path of just attaching another 2x10 over it. I do like the load bearing electrician idea, though...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I know this is a joke, but only doors counted as (and legitimately) egress need to do that in commercial.

For residential, where you aren't expected to have a caretaker outside while you are inside egress doors open inward. I would really suck rear end if you couldn't open any of your doors after an overnight snowfall.......

I can think of one building in Pasadena, CA which has its only door opens inwards. I assume there is a second door in the rear of the store. It used to be a cash-for-gold place, now it's a UPS Store. No idea how they got it permitted, maybe it has something to do with the 6" drop to the sidewalk. ADA be damned!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...1321537!6m1!1e1

The windows still have CASH 4 GOLD decal residue.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 25, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Javid posted:

Additionally, the kind of siding the house has on it isn't stocked anywhere locally, so he decided to get different, horizontal siding instead. I can't imagine it's going to look great, though it's structurally sound.

It's heeeeere!

The 4 inch vertical siding sheets are no longer available locally - they do have the same poo poo but in 8 inch which would've probably been largely unnoticeable, but instead, we're using these horizontal slat things.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Javid posted:

It's heeeeere!

Love those outlets.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I think that outlet is hanging like that because the owner is gonna rig the ~three sockets + lights in the new room up to it from the other side, which probably doesn't really make it ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002